Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
eisenhower maintained an immaculate kd ratio for his entire term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

eisenhower maintained an immaculate kd ratio for his entire term

Let's get Bizzay!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This is my favorite episode of HH since Ghosts of the Ostfront. Ancient history isn't as interesting to me as modern stuff and I've been fascinated by the cold war ever since learning about the Cuban Missile Crisis so this really is the topic I've been wanting him to cover forever.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This is my favorite episode of HH since Ghosts of the Ostfront. Ancient history isn't as interesting to me as modern stuff and I've been fascinated by the cold war ever since learning about the Cuban Missile Crisis so this really is the topic I've been wanting him to cover forever.

And thermonuclear war is more relevant now than it's been in a while, to boot!

I've listened to about three hours of it so far, and it's pretty good.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It was a good episode, best episode is still the one about the Anabaptists taking over a town.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

uPen posted:

It was a good episode, best episode is still the one about the Anabaptists taking over a town.

Seriously. That one was loving nuts.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

uPen posted:

Just relistened to that after seeing

It's the cages Carlin started and ended the story about. They are still there.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

uPen posted:

Yeah have to agree. That one was long enough ago that it isn't really sad anymore (Ostrofront) but not so long ago that it seems ancient, and was insane enough to be entertaining instead of just dreary.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It really was the best ep, I wish he'd hunt down more stuff like that instead of like "y'all heard of ww2??". Hope he never wastes his time doing an American civil war ep even tho it's perfect for his demo

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It really was the best ep, I wish he'd hunt down more stuff like that instead of like "y'all heard of ww2??". Hope he never wastes his time doing an American civil war ep even tho it's perfect for his demo

if you have to do a civil war ep, i think inward empire did a pretty great job at not just rehashing dead horses

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still have a huge Inward Empire back catalog to go through but it seems like a high quality history podcast. I dumped the Italian guy Joe Rogan vouched for or whatever tho, that show was somehow more entry level and cornball than HH

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The inward empire strike episodes were my first real introduction to that era of labor and robber barons and I can't recommend it enough. Like DC it's long but the delivery and tone is consistent so the first ten minutes will tell you if you like it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Carlin is better when he's talking about more modern stuff. His King of Kings series was so terrible, I get that he doesn't have a lot of primary sources to go off but filling it in with his weird ramblings like "Persia at the time was more of a Batman ...in a Clint Eastwood role" was unlistenable.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The weird Eastwood business aside KoK E1 is actually one of my favorite episodes, Carlin's narration style totally fits poo poo like The Histories or for describing Assyrian wall reliefs (Judgement at Nineveh is also great obviously but that was sort of made obsolete by KoK).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rodyle posted:

The weird Eastwood business aside KoK E1 is actually one of my favorite episodes, Carlin's narration style totally fits poo poo like The Histories or for describing Assyrian wall reliefs (Judgement at Nineveh is also great obviously but that was sort of made obsolete by KoK).

Yeah, I think it was ok in KoK part 1, but it was overbearing by the time we got to part 3 and he spent an hour just discussing "do you think modern people could do this poo poo?"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I zoned out of 3 a lot but that's more because I am beyond done with Alexander than anything.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Carlin said (maybe in a CS episode?) that he wasn't really interested in the civil war

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Trabandiumium posted:

Carlin said (maybe in a CS episode?) that he wasn't really interested in the civil war

If so, I'm really glad to hear it. Would be super bummed out if he wasted months on some civil war series of shows

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bohemian Nights posted:

If so, I'm really glad to hear it. Would be super bummed out if he wasted months on some civil war series of shows

A series of shows on anything would take years at his current rate.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn, the doctor on Sawbones sounded like she was about to cry at the end of the latest episode.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What? Why?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

They were talking about the possibility of Obamacare going away

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Anabaptists is ep 48, for the curious. Definitely worth a listen.

Trabandiumium posted:

Thank God.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
An overview of US/Mexican relations over the centuries would be interesting.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

RandomPauI posted:

An overview of US/Mexican relations over the centuries would be interesting.

your av does a good job at that

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trump doesn't know about the US occupation of Veracruz. He'd probably think that chick Vera Cruz asked for it.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Listened to Radiolab for the first time in years, and is it me or has it actually improved? The last two episodes didn't seem to feature nearly as much heavy handed editing and forced banter as back in the day.

Is this an accurate impression of the direction of the show or is it just that their latest stories were farmed out to other reporters, leaving less room for Krulwich and Abumrad's overproduced BS and annoying personas?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't confirm, as I haven't returned to Radiolab in years, but I'd be curious about any rise in quality as well. I enjoy their subjects, but as soon as they talk about something you know a decent amount about you realize how surface-level and borderline inaccurate everything they say is. If their research has gotten better I'd be interested in returning to it. It's always interesting outside of the over-production, but it's total fluff.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

PerilPastry posted:

Listened to Radiolab for the first time in years, and is it me or has it actually improved? The last two episodes didn't seem to feature nearly as much heavy handed editing and forced banter as back in the day.

Is this an accurate impression of the direction of the show or is it just that their latest stories were farmed out to other reporters, leaving less room for Krulwich and Abumrad's overproduced BS and annoying personas?

That would be great! Maybe that's why I keep meeting people who love it, I just assume they make the wrong choices about podcasts.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I get that Radiolab is like, podcast 2.0 overproduced, but they put out some really good media. And hell, I'd say they kind of paved the way for new media/podcasts, even if it's a bit overproduced. Am I way off here??

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I get that Radiolab is like, podcast 2.0 overproduced, but they put out some really good media. And hell, I'd say they kind of paved the way for new media/podcasts, even if it's a bit overproduced. Am I way off here??

You got it

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Paved the way, sure, but slick production values and listenability don't make up for the fact that they are (or at least were) flat out wrong about lots of stuff.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Their terrible signal to noise ratio is certainly what put me off them originally.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PerilPastry posted:

Their terrible signal to noise ratio is certainly what put me off them originally.

I don't understand what you mean by that. Could you play some sound of morse code beeps when you say signal, and some static when you say noise?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

I heard an episode a while ago about a guy from Wright-Patterson AFB that worked on a drone spying/picture taking thing that police used to track drug dealers and thought it was pretty good. That's my radiolab story thank you

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

They pushed a lot of Malcom Gladwelly stuff, I think. Wildly overinterpretating brain studies to make sweeping conclusions about Human Nature etc

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

they did an episode about the guy behind Candid Camera and while a lot of it was interesting they tried really hard towards the end to try and make the story emblematic for the entire shift in media over the past 50 years

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PerilPastry posted:

Jad has been busy with a lot of other projects, so the last few Radiolabs felt like they were either outsourcing it to others or was just Robert doing a story. It's good though because that whole Poverty series was really good and worth a listen.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They did an episode with a segment about a magic trick nobody could figure out how it worked. At the end they said they knew how the trick worked, but the answer was disappointing so they weren't going to say what it was. The mystery was better than the answer, they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Does anyone here listen to Radio War Nerd?