Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love Guilty Gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GO BEARS AGAIN

e: that loving burst super between ball hits? wtf

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 29, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

S.J. posted:

GO BEARS AGAIN

e: that loving burst super between ball hits? wtf

I didn't know that was possible

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm still not convinced that it is

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dangertime rules

S.J.
May 19, 2008

man gently caress

but that owned holy poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gg bears

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

S.J. posted:

man gently caress

but that owned holy poo poo

That whole top 8 owned start to finish and the biggest reason I'm bummed bears lost is that I couldn't see another bo5

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

In Training posted:

I love Guilty Gear

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The first time watching danger time has felt good

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i always knew bears was a scrub :gitgud:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I tried

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

hell yes

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/825573831045558272

Welcome to a brave new world of poverty, where even Square Enix is getting in on it. (I also have no idea what a Million Arthur is. Apparently some sort of card game?)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
its mobage

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I saw a cool air combo so that's nice. I don't know how I feel about all this Arthur on Arthur violence, though.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Just picked up Revelator and haven't played guilty gear in years. Anyone want to run some sets so I can get back into the swing of it?

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

Just picked up Revelator and haven't played guilty gear in years. Anyone want to run some sets so I can get back into the swing of it?

Your best bet is hopping on the discord / irc channel in the OP of the main fighting game thread and asking there
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
PC or PS4?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Heads up, a dude's been running weekly Revelator Steam netplay brackets for the hell of it. Organizes them through the general guilty gear discord. https://discord.gg/v4kMM . I'm gonna hit up the one tonight. Bracket's on Challonge at http://challonge.com/GGxrdR4 . Some of it gets streamed, apparently, if you're into that. I have no idea what the level of play is.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Those tourneys can be pretty fun, and the stream has been generally good as well, though I dunno if Parlour is still the one doing them. There seems to be a decent range of skill levels.. I'd recommend checking it out even if you aren't that good. Even at my (not great) skill level I've come away with some match wins.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's some guy named Bounty running em AFAIK, I don't know the name but I know lots of people in here chill in discord more than I do so they might have some dirt on him.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/117984026?t=07h49m40s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I am gonna try and actually commit to practicing combos instead of flailing away in matches like i usually do. I made this one up just now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye0kJVNbWWI

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 1, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Revelator's back on Sale!

At 10% :chloe:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Real hurthling! posted:

I am gonna try and actually commit to practicing combos instead of flailing away in matches like i usually do. I made this one up just now

Careful. Make sure to set the dummy to block after the first hit (and also turn the quickest air recovery on). What you're doing drops after the third hit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

attackmole posted:

Careful. Make sure to set the dummy to block after the first hit (and also turn the quickest air recovery on). What you're doing drops after the third hit.

balls. thanks

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The last six hits are good tho! Hell, could be useful as a frame trap.

Whenever I try to learn someone new, i usually try to memorize basic hit ground hit confirm combo, a basic anti air, and a combo off of a dust attack. I usually just pilfer them from the basic combo trials. It's not perfect, but it's a good place to start.

I then usually forget them immediately because I'm bad, but hey, I try.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 1, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

attackmole posted:

PC or PS4?

PS4. Also adjusting to stick. My entire GG career up to this point was on pad so I am still adjusting. Great game though. Play it for an hour or two then switch back to SFV and it feels so drat easy.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Real hurthling! posted:

GONNA VOMIT OUT A WALL OF KY TEXT FOR NO REASON!!!

You cannot combo into greed sever unless you do the CH far. S 3HS xx Greed Sever combo. That is a legit combo if you are fishing for counterhits or if you do a jump-in and hit them crouching, but in regular hit confirms that you are looking to make "go-to" combos with Ky, this isn't the route you want to be going.

It's hard to just list off combos for you, because really what happens as you learn to play is you'll realize that the combos you practice in training mode feel impossible to land in real matches. The issue is that your neutral game is probably extremely terrible, and you have zero idea how to open an opponent up enough to hit them with something and THEN confirm it.

Before you just drill combos from thin air, you really want to think about how you are going to actually land these in matches. If you neglect to do this, you'll end up just running forward into people and pressing the first button you practiced opening the combo with, hoping that they will for some reason just not block your hit.

This is why you see so many bad Ky players--especially online--just doing random stun dippers and greed sever. Both stun dipper and greed sever are super punishable on block, but greed sever especially at far range usually requires the opponent to actually know the optimal punish in the MU and be ready for it. If they don't know, you'll get away with it and you won't get proper feedback for your bad habit. The first thing you want to do is to stop spamming greed sever and stun dipper all the time. I haven't seen you even play a match, but I pretty much know that you are doing it!

Once you stop spamming greed sever and stun dipper from half-screen hoping for a random hit, you will be confronted by the cold-hard fact that you have zero idea what you are doing. This feels lovely, but it will also allow you to start doing correct stuff that will build up a real neutral game.

First thing to start trying to poke with in a match: far 5S. On hit or block, cancel into 2S.

This is a pretty good baby's first hit confirm/combo. It's not going to always work due to the finicky range on stun dipper, but basically what you want to do AT FIRST is to almost always just do far 5S, 2S. You do 2S because a blocked 5S raw and not canceled into stuff is very minus on block and lovely. The 2s also gives you time to hit confirm the whole thing. If the 2s hits, you cancel it into stun dipper. If the 2s whiffs after the 5s hits, then don't sweat it, you still hit them and learned some neutral poo poo.

Far 5S and 2S are among Ky's best pokes, and using them like this will get you familiar with the range and use of both. Once you are comfortable, try using 2S alone sometimes, as it hits low and is very good on its own. When 2S is blocked (also after 5S 2S), you can either cancel it into a fireball, or you can just do nothing. 2s is -3, so it's safe, but it doesn't give you actual frame advantage. However, if you're close enough, you can cancel it late into 5Hs, which can frametrap, or you can cancel it into 6k or 6HS if you're close enough, which can also frametrap while extending your pressure. Finally, when you cancel 2S into fireball SOMETIMES, and not all the time, you prime your opponent to be afraid and block. If they are afraid of a late fireball cancel and just sit there, you can move up on them and hit them with some closer pokes, such at another 2s! Or fish for a far 5S counterhit, etc. If they decide you aren't going to fireball and try to run around, and you do fireball cancel, the fireball often hits them.

When you get the hang of that, try poking with 2D (your sweep). This move has less range than 5s or 2s, but it's active REALLY long, and it lowers your hitbox a ton. It also leads directly into a knockdown. If you throw this move out kind of close, for example if you make them block a 2s and manage to move up on them some, you want to buffer it into 236D, because that move is -1 on block (safe) but on hit leads to Ky's grinder setup on hit. An example of what you can do with 2D would be against players who tend to just loving run straight into you. 5S is good against them also, but since 2D is active longer and starts up faster, it can sometimes be better at catching these types of players. Start trying to fish for hits with 2D just to get a feel for it. This move can be whiff punished since it's active so long, but you have to experiment with it and get hit sometimes to learn when to use it. Try to just do 2D xx 236D like every time you do it, that way you can start getting grinder setups.

If the 236D hits them (at max range it will whiff), you have a few options, all of which are not super hard to execute and very good:

1. Just do 236H immediately. Provided you are not at super max range, the grinder will come out and be on top of them before they get up. They are forced to block it. You then run up and do a mixup on them.
2. Dash as soon as you are able and jump (669) whiff a j.K, j.p, or j.S or whatever early in the air to throw them off some, land and do 5k if close enough, 2S if you're out of 5k range.
3. Do same as above, but right before you are about to land, as late as possible, air dash and press j.S j.HS, land, then do c.S, 6k xx 236D, 2D. This all combos. If you're too far to hit with 2D, just do 5s xx stun dipper.

Option 2 is hitting them low, option 3 is hitting them high. If you do this alternating randomly, they will guess wrong sometimes and you'll hit them.

If the above is all too complicated for you, you can just cancel your long range pokes with 2D into 236H. As long as you're not super close, the charged stun edge will come out and force them to block it as they stand up. You can then mix them up.

It's really important you realize that you have to earn your way in, and unless you have really earned your way into them or knocked them down, you won't be pressing any of those buttons that are more suited for close range (like close S, 5k, 2p, etc.) If you can start poking with far S, 2S, and 2D effectively in matches, you'll find yourself eventually getting in on people. Then everything will kind of change, but you'll also be closer to the territory where you can look to do bigger combos, and where you can actually pressure people enough that they get cornered--which opens up all of Ky's really big combos.

Somewhat separate from all that, a very practical combo that will be helpful to practice RIGHT NOW in training mode, even before you get practiced with all the poo poo I typed above, are your anti-air combos.

You need to be able to do these and practice anti-airing in matches.

6P (anti-air) c.S, 2HS xx DP is the go-to. This gives you a knockdown for less damage than the other variants, but the knockdown is usually better. Against some light characters you may notice that this doesn't actually knock down. If you see it's not knocking a character down, move to the below combo so you get more damages with your non-knockdown.
6p (anti-air) c.S, 2Hs j.s JC j.s j.HS xx HS DP

You can also try practicing using 2HS as a pre-emptive anti-air tool. The only issue is that there are actually three different combo situations depending on if it hits normal, a 1-hit CH, or a 2-hit CH. For that reason I would focus more on the 6p combos before you dick around too much with 2HS. Once you have some other fundamentals down though, 2HS is an amazing tool that you'll want to learn the ins and outs of fairly soon.

Some other super practical combos you can practice (though most of these are only going to be possible for you in matches if you learn the fundamental stuff above first):

-c.S 2D xx 236D, Charge Stun Edge into the split ciel as soon as you are able
-c.S 6k 236D, 2D. If you aren't super close you may have to do a microdash for the 2D to legit combo. As soon as they are down, do charge stun edge through the split ciel. This is a strong corner tool especially, usually what you want to do after you hit with a jump-in in the corner. It's so good because if you just hold up-forward after the charged stun edge, you will land outside their throw range and can threaten either empty jump low or dash-in 50/50 mixup without spending any meter. If you YRC the CSE, you can make the mixup even scarier by hitting them with it while they are still blocking the grinder.

**DP PUNISH**
If you ever block a DP from someone like Ky or Sol, or any reversal where you have time to get POINT BLANK on them and hit them, do: c.S 5HS 6k xx 236D (pause briefly until you are pushed back) stun dipper for knockdown.

I personally wouldn't bother practicing the VT loops until you find yourself cornering people who aren't terrible regularly. You'll spend a lot of time practicing it and will never corner people or be able to open them up enough in the corner to use them. If you find yourself with a launch in the corner, just do one DP, then hit them with c.S xx 236D on the way down instead of trying to loop. If you find yourself actually doing the no-loop version regularly in matches, then it's time to practice loops.

I'd also avoid practicing most stun dipper combos other than the far S, 2S xx stun dipper thing I mentioned above. The reason being that you'll more often than not get flustered and autopilot a combo in a match without looking at the range. You'll find yourself going into stun dipper way too close and having the second hit get blocked. Far S 2S xx stun dipper is a safe go-to because the 2S is going to whiff a lot of the time, and if it whiffs the stun dipper won't come out. If you do happen to be close enough for the 2S to hit after the 5S, the 2S is always going to hit on the tip and be far enough away for the stun dipper to cleanly 2-hit.

Also I made this a long time ago so I'm sure some stuff isn't optimal but whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzAAz_aPeM

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 1, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Goddamn that post owns.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Also I'm gonna make sure it's known that angel opportunity's videos are extremely good and fun to learn from. I watched all your videos and feel like I learned a ton, even though I don't play ky. I hope you make more!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Appreciate that post dude. Your video pointed out the exact poo poo I am currently doing wrong.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

angel opportunity posted:

thank you for the videos, i found them before this post but i found them really really helpful both as a new gg player and a ky player.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gracias

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

You can go ahead and vomit a wall for the rest of the cast now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's some good walls of text here http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/Guilty_Gear_Xrd_-REVELATOR- for the whole cast. Well I haven't personally read every character but the ones I've checked on always have good info

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

There's some good walls of text here http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/Guilty_Gear_Xrd_-REVELATOR- for the whole cast. Well I haven't personally read every character but the ones I've checked on always have good info

the dustloop dizzy page is pretty bad, but there's a big rear end post on the forums about it that makes up for it

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
The Ky dustloop page and wiki is also not very good. Unfortunately I ONLY play Ky. I'm interested in a lot of other characters, but I only play once or twice a week max offline, and I don't have time to play other characters on the side. This means I have no idea what is out there for non-Ky characters.

Here is probably the best two Ky things I found online. Note that--from what I can tell--no one ever follows through on any resource ever. The "Ky-ble" has a bunch of blank stuff in it that was never filled in and hasn't been touched for months.

Holy Ky-ble: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h0OBcFGQVP3eBB2zsYla6lYHzXlvVe4T9YEda-BY6hM/edit#heading=h.76rdbr8zcqxh
Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Ouf_A7tIM

The Youtube video is super dense, and at first glance it actually looks like a combo video if you are new. It's not a combo video. It's a video showing you (mostly) PRACTICAL setups of stuff you can and should do in matches. The reason it's doing the same thing over and over is because it's showing you against different character weights. Sometimes you will see a one-off really weird combo against a character like Leo or Chipp, and these are basically the super-optimized versions of whatever the thing is that work only on that character. The video doesn't explain any of this, it's just implied and assumed that you realize this.

You'll see certain combos that only happen once, and they will give you answers to stuff like, "If you hit Sol sort of near the corner but not in the corner, what combo will actually carry him to the corner and allow me a corner combo?"

The video is actually the only comprehensive thing I've ever found that answers questions like, "If I throw RC against Faust in the corner, what is the best combo to do?"

Of course, if you are new and don't know what is going on, you won't know a lot of the time why a certain setup is being shown, or what it is the "answer" to.

Because it's so comprehensive, as a new player it's insanely overwhelming. There are some really weird mixup setups in the video that I almost never see people use in matches, and the video may spend like 2 minutes showing you all the variations on that setup, then a super important thing you should do all the time will get blown past so fast you might not even notice it.

The video was made before they changed how the horizontal homing jumps off 5D worked, so you have to ignore every single one of those combos. The guy uploaded a new video showing the updated optimal 5D combos off the horizontal homing jump, so just check his new video for those.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The Ky dustloop page and wiki is also not very good. Unfortunately I ONLY play Ky. I'm interested in a lot of other characters, but I only play once or twice a week max offline, and I don't have time to play other characters on the side. This means I have no idea what is out there for non-Ky characters.

Here is probably the best two Ky things I found online. Note that--from what I can tell--no one ever follows through on any resource ever. The "Ky-ble" has a bunch of blank stuff in it that was never filled in and hasn't been touched for months.

Holy Ky-ble: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h0OBcFGQVP3eBB2zsYla6lYHzXlvVe4T9YEda-BY6hM/edit#heading=h.76rdbr8zcqxh
Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Ouf_A7tIM

The Youtube video is super dense, and at first glance it actually looks like a combo video if you are new. It's not a combo video. It's a video showing you (mostly) PRACTICAL setups of stuff you can and should do in matches. The reason it's doing the same thing over and over is because it's showing you against different character weights. Sometimes you will see a one-off really weird combo against a character like Leo or Chipp, and these are basically the super-optimized versions of whatever the thing is that work only on that character. The video doesn't explain any of this, it's just implied and assumed that you realize this.

You'll see certain combos that only happen once, and they will give you answers to stuff like, "If you hit Sol sort of near the corner but not in the corner, what combo will actually carry him to the corner and allow me a corner combo?"

The video is actually the only comprehensive thing I've ever found that answers questions like, "If I throw RC against Faust in the corner, what is the best combo to do?"

Of course, if you are new and don't know what is going on, you won't know a lot of the time why a certain setup is being shown, or what it is the "answer" to.

Because it's so comprehensive, as a new player it's insanely overwhelming. There are some really weird mixup setups in the video that I almost never see people use in matches, and the video may spend like 2 minutes showing you all the variations on that setup, then a super important thing you should do all the time will get blown past so fast you might not even notice it.

The video was made before they changed how the horizontal homing jumps off 5D worked, so you have to ignore every single one of those combos. The guy uploaded a new video showing the updated optimal 5D combos off the horizontal homing jump, so just check his new video for those.

If you're ever free and want to play some games I'd love to run a few sets with you. I'm very fresh to playing this game seriously and figured I'd start with Ky so I think I'd get a lot out of it.

• Locked thread