Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

EmmyOk posted:

Starting to see why Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is being renewed despite audience size to be honest.

CW tends to renew either good shows or good shows that get high ratings (on legalscores.com) or shows that get critical acclaim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Senerio posted:

CW tends to renew EVERYTHING!.

Fixed.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I dunno, CW cancelled Frequency and we still don't know about the fate of No Tomorrow.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

I dunno, CW cancelled Frequency and we still don't know about the fate of No Tomorrow.

Actually, neither are cancelled.

I assume they're waiting for their new pilots to come back, and seeing how Riverdale goes. But the prognosis isn't great, especially since Riverdale is getting some critical love, though nowhere near as much as Crazy Ex.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like the use of Love Kernels in the background.

Also Valencia as wedding planner.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh God all these musical callbacks

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Next season, war. :getin:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hah loved the reveal of the intro song

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

Hah loved the reveal of the intro song

Utterly brilliant. That was a hell of a flashback.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I mostly wasn't feeling this season, because it was pretending to much that the lovely stuff is actually important. But this finale was really really good. Pretty much every character had something do say or to do. The musical callbacks were cool. Also I usually don't focus on that stuff, but there were some great shots in there.

It's great that she made some sort of breakthrough by admitting that she's a "little bit" crazy. But rather than changing that she decides to lean into it. It's always good when characters realize what they actually want and what will make them truly happy. In Rebeccas case it's becoming a sociopathic maniac who vows to destroy a persons life while his family stands 20 foot away from her.

I was ambivalent about the renewal for season 3. But now I am excited again. I wonder how deep her mental episodes will go. I sort of want to see a song which is so chaotic that it might as well be from the Drakengard soundtrack. But I guess that stuff is not meant for TV.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Next season Rebecca goes to war and she needs allies.

Come on TRENT! :getin:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love the fact that this seasons theme song was pretty much what was going on in Rebecca's head while she was zombiefied in that mental institution. Naomi made that plea in front of the judge and it resonated in Rebecca's head. Just substitute the picture of Josh.

That song becomes even way more creepy if you imagine how a drugged up arsonist keeps singing it to herself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great finale. Doesn't quite negate the bizarre, awkward jumps in tone and storyline in this past month's worth of episodes but sets up season 3 well. And I even like Nathaniel now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That finale holy shiiiit.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Really hoping for a heather/hector hookup in season 3. That was such a great finale.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
BLAM!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That got real dark at the end there what with the arson, mental institution, and implied suicide dive off the cliff.

When she told off her dad and said "no" to Paula about getting revenge on Josh I had a brief moment of "oh, she had finally made a step forward" only for her to go all super villain. Should be interesting to see how they play that next season without making Rebecca too unlikable. Because like, I'm no Josh can and this episode did a good job of showing how he's kind of a tool but also there's no way he should have married Rebecca and she was lying to him and manipulating him right up to the end there.

Should be a fun ride at least.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Postmortem on the season:

Honestly this season was a lot less outstanding than the rest, but deciding the worst stuff kinda made me realize that there was very little bad in here, because I didn't think of much that was awful. I even liked my least favorite song!

Best Episode: Who Needs Josh When You Have a Girl Group? (or Can Josh Take a Leap of Faith? Gonna check in a few days how I feel about that one)
Worst Episode: Who Is Josh's Soup Fairy?
Best song: It was a poo poo Show (or the Reprise, see above)
Worst song: Makey Makeover (I still like it but it was clearly playing on nostalgia I don't have)
Song that will never leave my head: Santa Ana WiIiIiIiInds

My favorite part of the last part of the season when they reset everything is that they allowed Rebecca's Co-Workers, who hadn't had much screentime, to shine (especially Glenn, but also Mrs. Hernandez).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it ended up a good season overall just with a gigantic awkward insane 180 in the middle. I would bet real money on my prediction that they expected to get a further 5 episodes added to the pickup like last year and then scrambled when they realised/were told it wasn't gonna happen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that I think anything was accidental or forced about the tonal shift. I think Father Brah and Dr. Akopian both pretty much spelled out in this episode how Rebecca and Josh both go back to their romantic cycles every time. I think that the tonal shift was really about illustrating that as Josh just bounced in and out of relationships and Rebecca rejected any progress she was making the second he showed any interest again. It also sort of retroactively addresses some of the problems people had with the Anna relationship since it was basically about showing Josh jump into a relationship with the first pretty girl who flirts with him even if she was clearly very casual about the relationship.

Now, maybe they executed it a bit awkwardly but I think I see the bigger picture in all that stuff.

Senerio posted:

My favorite part of the last part of the season when they reset everything is that they allowed Rebecca's Co-Workers, who hadn't had much screentime, to shine (especially Glenn, but also Mrs. Hernandez).

The Mrs. Hernandez reveal that she's been talking this whole time and she hates Rebecca because she was too self absorbed to even notice is easily the most underrated joke of this season.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 5, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just started watching the finale and the opening song was so drat good, really great start to the final episode. Excited for this finale because this time I'm delighted that things are going to turn to poo poo. So freaking hyped for her dad to bail on her again.

e: Love Kernels playing while she hugs her dad is good

Also Naomi slating her dad to his face was tip top

and wooo Nathaniel has shown up

e2: If there is a previously unmentioned secret husband that is loving shithouse

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 5, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't fuckin wait for you to finish this one, Emmy.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Man that last episode was so uncomfortable and awkward. I loved every minute of it! I'll admit I thought the premise to this show would have worked better as just one season, but the idea of Rebeca going off the deep in to get back at Josh has me on the edge of my seat.

Super lovely of Josh to just leave her at the alter like that and not even confront her about the lying.

I'm just surprised that Josh never found out that Rebeca only moved the wedding up because she wasn't to bone her boss. In fact that whole subplot just disappeared. Although this season is full of dropped plot lines now that I think about it.

There's so many little Easter eggs in this episode that I'm gonna have to go back and watch it again... in a week when it's commercial free on Netflix.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I love this medley and I'm super happy it started with Stupid Bitch because that is nice and ominous :getin:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its safe to assume that Josh's epiphany about Rebecca wasn't just about the "Richard" thing but all the signs he's been ignoring for weeks from her getting mad that he got along with her family to rushing up the wedding. He didn't even open the package from Trent or learn who Richard was. He just knew that Rebecca had been lying to him and that the whole relationship was hosed up. Finding out the specifics weren't really as important as Josh just realizing that its a bad relationship and he was only sticking with it because of his own dependency issues Father Brah and White Josh have pointed out this season.

Josh is a jerk for leaving her at the altar, but then again Rebecca's a total rear end in a top hat to Josh and literally had only pushed up the wedding because she cheated on him and didn't tell him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Really hoping for a heather/hector hookup in season 3. That was such a great finale.

I will hang myself if that happens because she is human perfection and though his mom moments are funny he's a scumbag who tried to make Greg cheat on Rebecca last season.

I really liked the ending of that finale because her dad was such an utter trash goblin and I liked that Nathaniel got a nice burn in too. I thought she was going to forgive Josh because she was moving beyond her problems but nope she's going to lean in to it. That makes more sense considering we have a full season at least left and also will be far more fun than every agonising scene of her and Josh being cutesy. Also even though there relationship was a mess and she did horrible things he's the one who proposed in the middle of her huge therapy breakthrough and ruined everything so Josh can gently caress off forever. I'm so glad Greg is in Emery safe from all these monsters.

Not sure of my favourite song this season but Love Kernels is probably the one I've listened to the most. poo poo Show was brilliant though I just don't have the fortitude to listen to it much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've read in a bunch of places that they have a four-season plan and this was their specified midway point the entire time. If we follow Dan Harmon logic that means season 3 will be depressing as heck.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 5, 2017

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I definitely thought this season wasn't as strong as the first, but this was an excellent finale. Loved Rebecca telling off her dad, thought her flashbacks opened up some new ideas for the next (two?) seasons, and the songs were great.

The best thing this season did was its writing of the side characters. Paula and Valencia in particular (Valencia was good, but I didn't much like Paula in the first season) both became very engaging; how many other stories are there of middle-aged law students who choose to slowly repair things with their cheating husbands after affairs? And as always, please make Trent a regular.

Escobarbarian posted:

I've read in a bunch of places that they have a four-season plan and this was their specified midway point the entire time. If we follow Dan Harmon logic that means season 3 will be depressing as heck.

So if years are seasons, next December will be the December of Rebecca's December?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I think season 2 had fewer amazing songs, but still had some great ones. Thought Bubbles, Research Me Obsessively, It Was a Shitshow, Greg's drinking song. And Man Nap was pretty good too.

Oh and I forgot Friendtopia.

I guess it did end up with a pretty good list of songs.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 5, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You also forgot Devil Winds, You Go First, and WHAT A RUSH TO BE A BRIIIIDE.

And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KIU3_DgUU4

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You also forgot Devil Winds, So Maternal, and WHAT A RUSH TO BE A BRIIIIDE.

And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KIU3_DgUU4

Devil Winds I liked in the show but don't like as a track just because of the breaks in it.

I also forgot "You're My Best Friend (and I know I'm not yours)" and "Remember that we suffered" and like, 3 other good ones. This was a much better season than I remembered.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
None of these lists include We'll Never Have Problems Again, and are therefore Bad Lists.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EVGA Longoria posted:

I also forgot "You're My Best Friend (and I know I'm not yours)" and "Remember that we suffered" and like, 3 other good ones. This was a much better season than I remembered.

Yeah I had trouble whittling down my examples to three (plus Trent). You caught me pre-edit when I decided You Go First was better than So Maternal lmao. I almost edited it a third time to Let's Have Intercourse :v:

Speaking of, we need another Best/Worst Song of the Season bracket. If the goon who did it last time doesn't want to set it up I can give it a shot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

For a moment I was convinced that flashback to the mental hospital where they said "she just won't stop singing..." was going to be an 'it's all a dream' moment and the entirety of the series to this point had been the fantasies of insane college age Rebecca.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Speaking of, we need another Best/Worst Song of the Season bracket. If the goon who did it last time doesn't want to set it up I can give it a shot.

All yours. Just keep naming the losers bracket rounds after Greg quotes.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Remind me which site you used? I figure I'll pair up songs that appeared in the same episode, unless somebody else has a better idea.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
NONE OF YOU HAVE EVEN MENTIONED PING PONG GIRL

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Challonge. I think they have a random seeding function.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Here we go! :sax:

:siren:CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND SEASON 2 SING-OFF:siren:
http://challonge.com/cxgfs2

You need an account to vote, but they have the handy sign up via twitter/facebook button so it only takes a second. We gave each round a week last time, right? So I'll do the same. Most of the songs are paired with one from the same episode since the random seeding last time knocked out a lot of really good songs really quickly and left us with "I Gave You A UTI" skating into the semifinals. Disgraceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Shame ping pong girl and gregs drinking song went up against each other because they are both so strong and great.

• Locked thread