Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
starting a new run and was wondering if Tale of two Wastelands is worth using, or is just a colossal pain in the rear end to use with other mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
From my experience with it, it treats Fallout 3 as just another mod, so it should play OK with any NV mods you use like weather or equipment packs. I tried it with Nevada Skies and that overrode the DC skybox, which is kind of a shame because if there's one thing I can say about Fallout 3 it's that it has a good skybox. If you look on the NV Nexus there are also some mods made specifically to go with TTW, though I didn't play it long enough to try those.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

massecurr posted:

starting a new run and was wondering if Tale of two Wastelands is worth using, or is just a colossal pain in the rear end to use with other mods
It really depends on what those other mods are. Generally everything will work fine, it's the question whether the FO3 part will be affected by them.
Check the TTW forums: There are conversions for most of the popular mods floating there.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Nevada Skies will actually cause TTW to fail btw (the BOS Citadel becomes all screwed up/unplayable)

Using the guide from the OP I went from crashes every scene load to never a single crash ever. Admittedly I had um, forgotten to install NVAC which was probably why, but this list does a really good job of filtering out things that crash out TTW. I plan on going back to the Fear and Loathing modkit with all the extra content once I finish up with the DC wasteland; this build keeps out a lot of the quest/content additions. I had to disable Bornagain FO3 Outcast armor (it was causing the client to freeze on startup for some weird reason) but everything else works fine.

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Adonis_VII/TTW

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do explosives have a chance to outright kill companions due to their dismember chance? I'm in Dead Money and I had to reload because Christine took a grenade bouquet to the face and went a bit beyond "unconscious".
I feel there might be a mod messing with companion invulnerability. Only explosives can kill them though, gunshots and ghost people just knock them unconscious

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I know there was a Windows 10 update that made this game crash with certain graphics cards, is there any chance it also caused performance hits somehow? I'm on a lower-end machine but I'd consistently get 30-40fps by just turning off anti-aliasing, even with a bunch of graphics mods like EVE and Poco Bueno. For the last couple of months, even with vanilla settings and no mods I can't get higher than 25. I turned textures down to Low, nothing; changed lighting from HDR to Bloom, nothing; installed performance mods, updated drivers, nothing. I'm stuck at 20-25fps no matter what I do, it's bizarre. I'm getting a new PC in the next month or so which will probably improve things, but I'm weirded out wondering where all those frames per second went.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Quick gameplay question regarding Freeside Open- does anyone else experience thugs killing vital quest NPC's? I haven't entered Freeside yet so I can still disable it, and I have "pickpockets" turned off via the included debug console this time, but I remembered that my last game was a bit messed-up by thugs killing those Kings you need to interview in the Mormon Fort during G.I. Blues.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a mod organizer issue. I downloaded a mod and put it in the left pane, but I can't checkmark it to activate it. Seems to happen at random, no connection between certain mods which fail to activate.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Okay, so I'm encountering the same problem as before, and I've narrowed down the culprit. Every time I try to go past Nipton my game starts to stutter uncontrollably and inevitably freeze up. I don't know what's going on. I even tried another character, ran all the way to New Vegas by going north of Goodsprings, and that character had zero problems with stutter for over 30 hours. It's definitely Nipton. It seems to have something to do the smoke or the jackal ambushes. I remember on past computers there would be a stutter problem at that point but it would subside after a while. On this computer (Windows 10) it just keeps stuttering forever, even if I save and quit/restart.

Are there ANY solutions to this problem? Has anyone ever encountered it before? I know it can't be any of my mods, I've gotten rid of the biggest performance ones and only one alters Nipton, and that was to get rid of the smoke after 24 hours in order to lessen the FPS stress. I'm just about ready to give up and stop trying New Vegas because of this, it's really frustrating.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
can you post your mod list? It is probably your mods.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm having an issue where FNVedit doesn't seem to get my current active plugin list

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

watho posted:

I'm having an issue where FNVedit doesn't seem to get my current active plugin list
Are you using MO? If so, you'll need to boot FNVEdit and pretty much any other tool through MO just like the game.
Is the problem that FNVEdit can't find your installation, then try booting the Launcher once (just start the normally game through steam once if you don't want that is).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Raygereio posted:

Are you using MO? If so, you'll need to boot FNVEdit and pretty much any other tool through MO just like the game.
Is the problem that FNVEdit can't find your installation, then try booting the Launcher once (just start the normally game through steam once if you don't want that is).

I am using mo but whenever I try to add FNVedit to MO nothing happens. I put in all the required info but when I press 'add' nothing happens.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Gyshall posted:

can you post your mod list? It is probably your mods.

0 0 FalloutNV.esm
1 1 DeadMoney.esm
2 2 HonestHearts.esm
3 3 OldWorldBlues.esm
4 4 LonesomeRoad.esm
5 5 GunRunnersArsenal.esm
6 6 ClassicPack.esm
7 7 MercenaryPack.esm
8 8 TribalPack.esm
9 9 CaravanPack.esm
10 a YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm
11 b SaxxonsQuestPack.esm
12 c AWSW.esm
13 d Decrucifixion.esm
14 e NVStripOpen.esm
15 f SomeguySeries.esm
16 10 YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp
17 11 DLM_Dead Money Deans Blackmail holo fix.esp
18 12 Lingerie Custom.esp
19 13 updatedWearGlassesandMasks.esp
20 14 Better Game Performance.esp
21 15 NVCE Main.esp
22 16 SarahWeintraubSexySleepwear.esp
23 17 outsidebets.esp
24 18 Fellout.esp
25 19 JSawyer Ultimate.esp
26 1a rotfacetoriches.esp
27 1b TheInheritance.esp
28 1c Legion Quests Expanded.esp
29 1d StripOpenMain.esp
30 1e XP_Slower_100.esp
31 1f Karma Perks.esp
32 20 KillableKids.esp
33 21 OldWorldBlues - Keep Big MT Active.esp
34 22 UnlimitedTraits.esp
35 23 Cut Sewers Restored.esp
36 24 NVCE DLC01.esp
37 25 NVCE DLC02.esp
38 26 NVCE DLC03.esp
39 27 NVCE DLC04.esp
40 28 betsybrahmin.esp
41 29 CCO - Ulysses Companion.esp
42 2a Nipton Fires Extinguished.esp
43 2b uylssesbarksfix.esp
44 2c Companion Sandbox Mode3.esp
45 2d SunnyCompanion.esp
46 2e UnlimitedCompanions.esp
47 2f NewVegasBounties.esp
48 30 IncreasedLegion1_1.esp
49 31 NewVegasKiller.esp
50 32 Delay DLC - DM + HH + OWB + LR + GRA.esp
51 33 MBOWBExtended100.esp
MBOWBExtended20.esp
MBOWBExtended40.esp
MBOWBExtended60.esp
MBOWBExtended80.esp
52 34 Primm Reputation Restored.esp
53 35 RestoredCaravanPlayers.esp
54 36 NVCE Main - Companions.esp
55 37 awilderwasteland.esp
56 38 Decrucifixion.esp
57 39 Decrucifixion - More Victims.esp
58 3a The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
59 3b mojave music radio expanded v1.1.esp
60 3c avangraffscorned.esp

I got rid of a lot of high intensity mods, so I thought I was good. The only things I could think of that are causing the problems are Decrucifixion, Fellout, or no more smoke

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Double-post, but I figured out the solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3zdnwKu14

One of the default settings in Stutter Remover was causing it. IntenseLighting or something. This video mentions how to turn it off. Stuttering is gone, I can finally progress without any problems. Hurray!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Stutter you say?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I'm sure this is a common question, but I'm about to play FNV for the first time, and was wondering what mods would be recommended just to fix bugs and make things look nicer and whatnot, without messing with the core gameplay or making things harder, so I can experience the game as close to how it was meant to be played before pouring on the mods in future playthroughs. Does anyone have suggestions?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

YUP fixes bugs http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51664/
EVE improves energy weapons and explosions http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42666/
Fellout removes the game's ubiquitous orange filter http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34888/
Check in the OP for texture mods, and have a look around the Nexus site because there's always more new ones
Also check out New Vegas Uncut: Outside Bets, which restores a bunch of cut content http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46648/
Be sure to check the OP for the various performance/stability mods, like NVAC, CASM, FNV4GB etc

Also, it doesn't really match your request but I LOVE this mod and you'll find it essential if you've played Fallout 4: QUICKLOOT http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61666/

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Klungar posted:

I'm sure this is a common question, but I'm about to play FNV for the first time, and was wondering what mods would be recommended just to fix bugs and make things look nicer and whatnot, without messing with the core gameplay or making things harder, so I can experience the game as close to how it was meant to be played before pouring on the mods in future playthroughs. Does anyone have suggestions?

Someone who's not phone posting can link to the recommended bug fixes etc., but it is worth noting that the Jsawyer mod, while technically making balance changes, was made by the lead designer of the game, so it might still be worth looking into as a lot of people consider it more of a final patch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jsawyer is great if you're a fan of Hardcore mode. I am not, however, a fan of hardcore, so I use project nevada and PN: extra options to tweak my gameplay experience the way I like it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I was gonna recommend JSawyer, but in addition to fixing a bunch of stuff YUP probably fixes too, it def. makes the game harder

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I'm doing a fresh install on a new system. Just downloaded everything and went to run FOMM, but it crashes when I attempt to log it into the Nexus.

System's a Win 10 64-bit system (previous system was Win7 64) with 16 gigs of RAM. Here's the log from the FOMM crash dump. Anyone run into this before, or have any idea what the problem is?

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:10:52 PM
Fomm 0.13.21
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at WebsiteAPIs.NexusAPI.get_LoginKey()
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.WebsiteLogin()
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager..ctor(MainForm mf)
at Fomm.MainForm.bPackageManager_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Does anyone know if the CaliberX mod is compatible with Gtab's ammo mod?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Just a quick question, I disabled Freeside Open because the amount of stress the big open space puts on my computer was causing crashes, but really liked all the NPCs it added, it made Freeside feel not empty, whereas in the Vanilla version currently there's just no NPCs. Is there any mod that just adds a few NPCs, but keeps the cell spaces separate?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

You might be able to use the NVFR NPC mod. It adds different levels or repopulation depending on your tastes.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42808/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Just a quick question, I disabled Freeside Open because the amount of stress the big open space puts on my computer was causing crashes, but really liked all the NPCs it added, it made Freeside feel not empty, whereas in the Vanilla version currently there's just no NPCs. Is there any mod that just adds a few NPCs, but keeps the cell spaces separate?

Did you just disable free side open and reload the game? Because that is a really bad idea

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did you just disable free side open and reload the game? Because that is a really bad idea

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, yeah. I forgot all about that. I did that once and the walls of Old Mormon Fort disappeared along with all the NPCs, but the buildings were still there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, yeah. I forgot all about that. I did that once and the walls of Old Mormon Fort disappeared along with all the NPCs, but the buildings were still there.

There is a mod called freeside open remover on nexus. Download it and follow the instructions. Works like a charm. Don't use the remover file from the FSO page though, this new one is updated and works quite well.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is a mod called freeside open remover on nexus. Download it and follow the instructions. Works like a charm. Don't use the remover file from the FSO page though, this new one is updated and works quite well.

Oh, I'm not running FSO right now (or at all ever again). That's a real good mod, though. I'm currently running NVR/NVFR and it's working well enough.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not at all, I started with a fresh run without FSO, but then found vanilla freeside incredibly empty compared to Open.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Not at all, I started with a fresh run without FSO, but then found vanilla freeside incredibly empty compared to Open.

True. It's a shame though, because I do really like the concept of fso. The mod came out way back at the start of new Vegas modding. I'd love to see someone take a shot at it nowadays.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

True. It's a shame though, because I do really like the concept of fso. The mod came out way back at the start of new Vegas modding. I'd love to see someone take a shot at it nowadays.
You mean remake it so it doesn't stretch the engine to its limits?
That's probably not doable, at least not without keeping the thing that makes Freeside Open a neat mod. The problem is that the Bethesda-Gamebryo engine is horribly inefficient at handling NPCs. Consoles probably weren't the sole reason Freeside was split up: That area also would have run like crap on your average 2011 PC. Things like NVSE's memory tweak can help, but if your machine isn't up to it (and/or you're using other mods that make the game more resource intensive), there's really not much you can do.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I keep getting the weirdest random crash. Typically it happens around autosaves, like when I'm fast traveling or when I exit a building. Game locks up completely, usually on the loading screen, and the only way out is a complete restart of my system because no other windows (such as the task manager) can open on the monitor where NV was and my mouse is worthless.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Snoop Radley posted:

So is New Vegas Bounties III worth checking out at all? When it came out I remember there being some talk of it being a disappointment and/or going off the rails but I don't know what that means and I don't want to go digging out of fear of big spoilers. I enjoyed the first two because I thought the bounties were fun but wasn't too invested in the main storyline. Which one of those aspects is lackluster in the third part?

Also any thoughts on the other quest mods by that guy?

The guy burned out after he finished NV2, and it took him a long time to grind through 3. There's a big shift in tone, and it isn't handled well at all. It goes from 'lookit you big bounty hunter killing all the scum of the wastes, great!' to 'lookit you you scum, all those raiders and murderers and torturers had families and now they are bad and its your fault p.s. there's also now double mega evil raiders and stuff running around because you killed the old dudes' and the Goon who mentioned that companions are killed off ain't kidding. The modder went out of his way to remove any you have with you from the game and iirc there's actually extra dialogue that shows up about how they are tortured to death and die screaming in agony.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I know this is the Fallout New Vegas modding thread, but I was wondering if I could ask a F3 question here. Trying to get Fallout 3 to work on Windows 10, I've been following a couple guides, which tell you to download Windows Games Live Installer. Problem is my computer says this program won't work with Windows 10. Kind of confusing, does anyone have a good written guide for step-by-step what to do to get it working?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I know this is the Fallout New Vegas modding thread, but I was wondering if I could ask a F3 question here. Trying to get Fallout 3 to work on Windows 10, I've been following a couple guides, which tell you to download Windows Games Live Installer. Problem is my computer says this program won't work with Windows 10. Kind of confusing, does anyone have a good written guide for step-by-step what to do to get it working?

If you have New Vegas, you can probably get FO3 running on WIndows 10 with the Tale of Two Wastelands NV mod.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

King Doom posted:

The guy burned out after he finished NV2, and it took him a long time to grind through 3. There's a big shift in tone, and it isn't handled well at all. It goes from 'lookit you big bounty hunter killing all the scum of the wastes, great!' to 'lookit you you scum, all those raiders and murderers and torturers had families and now they are bad and its your fault p.s. there's also now double mega evil raiders and stuff running around because you killed the old dudes' and the Goon who mentioned that companions are killed off ain't kidding. The modder went out of his way to remove any you have with you from the game and iirc there's actually extra dialogue that shows up about how they are tortured to death and die screaming in agony.

Well uh. Okay.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

King Doom posted:

So uhh the companions only get killed off if you have them with you right?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah NV3 has a couple of fun fights but is overall kind of... questionable. The author seems to be kind of insane generally, if that helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have yet to play a decent quest mod that A) doesn't stick out like a sore thumb B) is even on par with the writing in the original game