Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Howdy friends, I'm wanting to go from Austin to Tokyo in March. 3/10-3/21, to be precise. I can leave however early on that Friday (or late night Thursday), and need to be back by, say, mid-afternoon that Tuesday. I'd like to maximize vacation time over there, but if it'd save me enough money I could cut it shorter. Google Flights is showing me ~$1220, whether I'm going into Haneda or Narita. Is that about as good as I can expect, do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Given that's spring break and a few weeks away, yeah probably?

Did you airbnb your place for sxsw or something?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HookShot posted:

In business I straight up put the seat down flat pretty much as soon as we've taken off (and change into the PJs I brought on board) and enjoy watching TV and napping.

Full flat is really uncomfortable for watching tv and it's a pain if you're taking advantage of the bar service at the beginning of the flight.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Howdy friends, I'm wanting to go from Austin to Tokyo in March. 3/10-3/21, to be precise. I can leave however early on that Friday (or late night Thursday), and need to be back by, say, mid-afternoon that Tuesday. I'd like to maximize vacation time over there, but if it'd save me enough money I could cut it shorter. Google Flights is showing me ~$1220, whether I'm going into Haneda or Narita. Is that about as good as I can expect, do you think?

Unless you want to leave two days earlier and come home one day earlier and do some crazy poo poo like transit China: yep, that's as good as you can expect.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sellouts posted:

Full flat is really uncomfortable for watching tv and it's a pain if you're taking advantage of the bar service at the beginning of the flight.

I don't drink (and I don't eat on planes) and I watch the TV on my ipad which I put next to me. It would suck to watch the built-in TV system for sure.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

sellouts posted:

Given that's spring break and a few weeks away, yeah probably?

Did you airbnb your place for sxsw or something?

nah, friend stationed over there suddenly got leave, and visiting him sounds like fun.

Mackieman posted:

Unless you want to leave two days earlier and come home one day earlier and do some crazy poo poo like transit China: yep, that's as good as you can expect.

cool, thanks

Now that I think of it, it's actually a bit less than I paid for tickets to Tokyo a decade ago. Not so bad when I think of it that way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HookShot posted:

I don't drink (and I don't eat on planes) and I watch the TV on my ipad which I put next to me. It would suck to watch the built-in TV system for sure.

You legit should have a cranberry and tonic or something. It's quite nice.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

HookShot posted:

Flying business without eating or drinking?!?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

peanut posted:

Flying business without eating or drinking?!?
I'm not in it for the food and drink, I'm in it for the good seat so that by the time I land I'm nicely rested and don't want to die of jet lag after 8-15 hour flights.

Also eating on planes makes me feel sick, always has. Depending on how long the flight is I have a meal that will stop me from being hungry for as long as possible. Of course when I'm flying to New Zealand it's tough; I always have to hit up the McDonalds at the airport there at 5am when I land since no matter how much you eat, 15 hours is a long time to go without food, but it's better than feeling like death on the plane.

sellouts posted:

You legit should have a cranberry and tonic or something. It's quite nice.
I've never enjoyed the taste of alcohol at all. I have nothing against drinking, I just don't enjoy it, so I don't do it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

I've never enjoyed the taste of alcohol at all. I have nothing against drinking, I just don't enjoy it, so I don't do it.

Neither cranberry juice nor tonic are alcoholic. There's plenty of nice-tasting drinks that they should be willing to make you in business that don't have alcohol in.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

Neither cranberry juice nor tonic are alcoholic. There's plenty of nice-tasting drinks that they should be willing to make you in business that don't have alcohol in.

In my defense of reading 'tonic' as 'gin' I have had the worst loving cold for days and days and I feel like I'm going to die.

I do have the odd non-alcholic drink on planes. I just sit up for a minute or two to drink it. SAS has this really nice non-alcoholic apple cider type drink that I had like five glasses of last time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You might be able to enjoy your nice seat more if you didn't come off as so loving insufferable. Idk

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

HookShot posted:

In business I straight up put the seat down flat pretty much as soon as we've taken off (and change into the PJs I brought on board) and enjoy watching TV and napping.

In domestic business though yeah I don't move the seat at all, same in economy. Makes virtually no difference and just annoys the people behind me.

sellouts posted:

lol @ pleb airlines where they don't give you PJs and where the "bar service" is at the beginning of the flight instead of whenever you want

-QR plat

edit: full flat is for sleeping, but you'd be crazy not to adjust your seat at least a little after takeoff

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 28, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sellouts posted:

You might be able to enjoy your nice seat more if you didn't come off as so loving insufferable. Idk

lol ok

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Dumb question time! I put out a few trackers on flights from NC to Osaka and one of them popped up last night for really cheap.

Link to itinerary: https://goo.gl/flights/ofpc

The leg I'm super concerned about is RDU -> YYZ that has a 1h 13m layover which includes border control and possibly changing terminals. Checked baggage isn't a problem and I have Global Entry (I know it's not NEXUS, but I've seen a few reports online that Global Entry peeps can use the fast track lanes to get to a border agent); however, a layover with <75m is a bit dicey.

I just got off the phone with an Air Canada person, and she said that there shouldn't be an issue... Unfounded worry and assuming the worst?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Phone posted:

Dumb question time! I put out a few trackers on flights from NC to Osaka and one of them popped up last night for really cheap.

The leg I'm super concerned about is RDU -> YYZ that has a 1h 13m layover which includes border control and possibly changing terminals. Checked baggage isn't a problem and I have Global Entry (I know it's not NEXUS, but I've seen a few reports online that Global Entry peeps can use the fast track lanes to get to a border agent); however, a layover with <75m is a bit dicey.

I just got off the phone with an Air Canada person, and she said that there shouldn't be an issue... Unfounded worry and assuming the worst?

If the inbound flight is late you might have a problem, but otherwise it's doubtful. I've done connections at YYZ in that timeframe for sure, even collecting luggage and clearing customs you'll be okay.

The more worrying issue is that you appear to be flying across the Pacific Ocean on Air Canada Rouge, in which case may god have mercy on you.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can it be any worse than an American flight from O'Hare to Shanghai? I can't remember if it was a 777, but it was not particularly pleasant.

I have no idea about Air Canada or AC Rouge, please drop some truth bombs before I pull the trigger on this flight.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Phone posted:

Can it be any worse than an American flight from O'Hare to Shanghai? I can't remember if it was a 777, but it was not particularly pleasant.

I have no idea about Air Canada or AC Rouge, please drop some truth bombs before I pull the trigger on this flight.

LOL

Yeah Rouge is going to be a LOT worse than any legacy American carrier. It's basically Air Canada's "holiday destinations" option which is code for "we added 50 more seats than we did in a normal plane and charge the same price for it"

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Rouge_Boeing_767-300ER_new.php

This is the plane you're going to be on in all likelihood, I recommend reading the seat reviews. 30 inch pitch for an overseas flight sounds like the worst hell ever.

edit: I looked it up. The Rouge 767 has 24 "premium", 36 "rouge plus" and 219 "economy" seats. The regular AC767 has 24 business suites and 187 standard seats. 68 extra seats on Rouge. Whhyyyyyyy

HookShot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 29, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm 5'8" on a good day and my girlfriend is 5'4", so the 30" pitch while terrible, is a known quantity. I also don't care about in flight entertainment stuff.

It looks like my terrible flight on American to Shanghai was before they replaced it with a 787-8. The 767 from Shanghai to Osaka was a godsend, but it was on JAL so it isn't analogous to AC Rouge. I'm going through Skytrax's user reviews and looking for KIX/Osaka for a better picture of the hell that I'm signing myself up for. If it's on par with how terrible my 15 hour American flight was, I at least get to look forward to it only being 10 hours and I don't have to hangout in Pudong for 4 hours.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phone posted:

Worst case - you miss the connection, get put on the daily flight to Tokyo and connect domestically to Osaka on ANA.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Worst case - you miss the connection, get put on the daily flight to Tokyo and connect domestically to Osaka on ANA.

If you miss the Rouge part of the itinerary and get put on a normal AC aircraft, that's more like "best case."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Hmmmm it's not a bad gamble. I might have to not use the NEXUS lane...

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a nice beach destination, that's not Cancun, that I can get a cheap flight to? I am flying out of DFW (could also do DAL if the price was good) and looking to travel the week of the 4th of July plus or minus a couple days.

E. I've been looking on Google Flights and most of the destinations that have been interesting to me have been in the $700+ range. I would also consider a trip to Europe if the price was good enough.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a nice beach destination, that's not Cancun, that I can get a cheap flight to? I am flying out of DFW (could also do DAL if the price was good) and looking to travel the week of the 4th of July plus or minus a couple days.

E. I've been looking on Google Flights and most of the destinations that have been interesting to me have been in the $700+ range. I would also consider a trip to Europe if the price was good enough.

Lots of fares in the $500 range to the western side of Mexico. Those dates are peak season for Europe so don't expect much there.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
Is July 1st from DFW to Calgary a super special day I don't know about? I've been watching 2 non stops on AA on Google Flights for several weeks one keeps creeping up several hundred dollars, the other went from $1900 to $8000+. Surely they will return to a reasonable purchase price once it hits the "best time to buy airfare" period of a few months out?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mdh1975 posted:

Is July 1st from DFW to Calgary a super special day I don't know about? I've been watching 2 non stops on AA on Google Flights for several weeks one keeps creeping up several hundred dollars, the other went from $1900 to $8000+. Surely they will return to a reasonable purchase price once it hits the "best time to buy airfare" period of a few months out?

It's a long weekend in Canada, and very close to a long weekend in the US, so I'm going to say... it's probably that.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mdh1975 posted:

Watch it and be willing to connect.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone have any experience flying Europe to the US via Iceland? I've heard a bit about cheap fares via KEF, with a layover of up to a week (?), but I don't know where to find the details. I'll be flying in October so I'm not quite ready to buy flights yet, but I wanted to see if this is still a thing (or if it was ever a thing at all).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

The Schwa posted:

Does anyone have any experience flying Europe to the US via Iceland? I've heard a bit about cheap fares via KEF, with a layover of up to a week (?), but I don't know where to find the details. I'll be flying in October so I'm not quite ready to buy flights yet, but I wanted to see if this is still a thing (or if it was ever a thing at all).

It is a thing via WOW Air or Iceland Air.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

The Schwa posted:

It's definitely a thing, I've flown to Seattle via Iceland from Europe in the past with Iceland Air a few times.
I only ever took advantage of the stopover offer once, but I highly recommend it. Iceland is a really cool (if pricey) place to visit.

Seems like it is still a thing. More info here:
https://www.icelandair.us/flights/stopover/

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The Schwa posted:

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Do it, and then come to the Iceland thread so we can yell at you to not eat whale.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Is that the A/T one I'm hundreds of posts behind on, or is there another one?

vv I'll get back into it!

The Schwa fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 10, 2017

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The Schwa posted:

Is that the A/T one I'm hundreds of posts behind on, or is there another one?

Probably the same one!

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Looking to fly from Winnipeg to Auckland - probably leaving somewhere between Dec 27th to 30th and coming back around Jan 14th to 16th.
I realize I'm super early for this but I have a few questions.

- What am I looking at as far as a reasonable price for economy? Looking right now for that rough time frame, flights are about $2000 CAD but if I put in random dates 3 or 4 months from now, I'm seeing flights as low as $1600 CAD.

- Some of the cheaper flights are through Hong Kong, Shanghai, Manila etc. Would I be crazy flying through one of those places to save $300 or $400?

- If I pay for an exit row on some crazy connection through one of the above places, I assume I have to pay the fee for each leg of the flight? Probably a dumb question. I imagine I'd have to.

- I was poking around to try and get an idea how much Premium Economy would be and I found a Cathay Pacific flight through Hong Kong that would be around $3000 CAD. It was about $1000 cheaper than any Air New Zealand Premium Economy listing that I've seen. Having never flown anything other than Economy, would saving an extra $1000 be worth flying through Hong Kong rather than doing something like Winnipeg-Vancouver-Auckland in Premium Economy with Air New Zealand?

- If I wanted to stay in Hong Kong for a few days, would I have to book each leg of my trip separately?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ColdBlooded posted:

Looking to fly from Winnipeg to Auckland - probably leaving somewhere between Dec 27th to 30th and coming back around Jan 14th to 16th.
I realize I'm super early for this but I have a few questions.

- What am I looking at as far as a reasonable price for economy? Looking right now for that rough time frame, flights are about $2000 CAD but if I put in random dates 3 or 4 months from now, I'm seeing flights as low as $1600 CAD.

- Some of the cheaper flights are through Hong Kong, Shanghai, Manila etc. Would I be crazy flying through one of those places to save $300 or $400?

- If I pay for an exit row on some crazy connection through one of the above places, I assume I have to pay the fee for each leg of the flight? Probably a dumb question. I imagine I'd have to.

- I was poking around to try and get an idea how much Premium Economy would be and I found a Cathay Pacific flight through Hong Kong that would be around $3000 CAD. It was about $1000 cheaper than any Air New Zealand Premium Economy listing that I've seen. Having never flown anything other than Economy, would saving an extra $1000 be worth flying through Hong Kong rather than doing something like Winnipeg-Vancouver-Auckland in Premium Economy with Air New Zealand?

- If I wanted to stay in Hong Kong for a few days, would I have to book each leg of my trip separately?

Hong Kong airport is supposedly very nice, so I'd consider connecting through there to save money. Shanghai I'm not sure about (and you may need a visa), and I'd avoid Manila based on literally everything I've ever heard.

Yes, exit row fees are charged per-leg.

I'm not sure what the differences are between ANZ premium economy and Cathay Pacific premium economy, but what I do know is that everyone I've ever talked to who's flown ANZ raves about it, so... it might be worth the difference? I'm not sure. Cathay Pacific should be pretty good too, though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you're going premec on ANZ try going through LA (or SF IIRC) instead of Vancouver; the LA route uses the nicer, newer planes and their premium economy is insane (I flew it from Brisbane -> Auckland once) compared to the Vancouver to Auckland plane.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Definitely transit in HK over mainland China if you have a choice. If you can get a 2-3 day stopover, it's perfect.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My wife and I are planning a vacation for our 5 year anniversary at the end of this year. Leaving from MSP, flying to LGA, Amtrak from New York Penn to Montreal, then YUL to MSP. I know Newark would be easier to make the connection to Penn Station, but I want LaGuardia for dat view. I figured this would cost me an arm and a leg, but I put it into Matrix and I could get tickets with stops each way (On American) for $404, or two non-stop flights (on Delta) for $440. It was pretty much the same price for any dates leaving the last week of December and coming back the first week of January. So even though it's 10 months out that's probably not going to go down any is it? The fact that it's the same fair for pretty much any date is telling me that's their minimum fare, short of any kind of sales. And considering the weird route I'm probably not going to be able to take advantage of any sales. So, sanity check I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

If you're going premec on ANZ try going through LA (or SF IIRC) instead of Vancouver; the LA route uses the nicer, newer planes and their premium economy is insane (I flew it from Brisbane -> Auckland once) compared to the Vancouver to Auckland plane.

Is it good enough that it would be worth going through an extra customs clearance each way? If so, I might have to fly ANZ just to do it.