Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

videocardz has a bit more info on vega and a rumored polaris refresh/rebrand in May but nothing surprising.

TLDR:

RX470 -> RX570 ~between GTX1050ti and 1060-3GB
RX480 -> RX580 ~GTX1060
Vega11 -> RX590 ~GTX1070
Vega10 -> Fury something ~GTX1080/ti $599-699, 8+6pin power connector (85+75+75=235W)

edit:

oh look a leaked benchmark :rolleyes:

Dunno how I missed this the first time through. Let's just hope this means there's a x90 part this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

nobody with a pc has ever said that, make sure hes not a mole-person or something trying to pass as human.

I mean, he might be just trying to dodge the $200 drop in value that's coming as soon as a 1080 Ti launches. But yeah, it's suspicious, I would want to see the card running before I did the deal. Really that goes for any $500+ component.

Could also be stolen but there's not really a good way to tell other than to put them on the spot and ask him to pull the order confirmation from his email. And you may not care.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 24, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fishing with the fam posted:

I recently upgraded to a GTX 1070 and I'm running into some annoyingly inconsistent framerate issues. I installed the graphics card, installed the drivers, and did not notice any real performance difference. After completely wiping out all graphics drivers from my computer and reinstalling, that seemed to solve the issue. I was getting 60 FPS on Rise of the Tomb Raider on ultra, 90+ FPS on Overwatch on ultra, etc.

But then, after turning off and turning on my computer, Overwatch dropped down to ~30 FPS again. Turned my computer on and off again, and I was back at 90 FPS.

Now it seems drat near random which I get when I boot up my computer. If I boot up and I'm stuck at ~30 FPS, after 1 or 2 reboots I'm usually back up to around 90.

There isn't any rhyme or reason that I can divine as to what is happening, and I have absolutely no idea how to even begin diagnosing what the issue may be. I am assuming this is purely related to my GPU, but if not, I can take this to another thread.

Setup:
MSI GTX 1070
i5-4570
8 GB DDR3
Thermaltake 750W
Win 10 64 bit
3440X1440 @ 60 hz monitor

Have you tried setting the games in question to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the Nvidia control panel? Inappropriate power throttling could conceivably cause issues like what you describe. I was getting issues with my GTX 660 with some of the Nvidia drivers last year, and had to tell it to prefer maximum performance all the time, not just for specific games. Haven't had any issues with my 1060 like that, though - it's been running like a champ with recent drivers.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, he might be just trying to dodge the $200 drop in value that's coming as soon as a 1080 Ti launches. But yeah, it's suspicious, I would want to see the card running before I did the deal. Really that goes for any $500+ component.

Could also be stolen but there's not really a good way to tell other than to put them on the spot and ask him to pull the order confirmation from his email. And you may not care.

Yeah for my used 1080 I made him show me a video of it running, him panning to his screen with device manager up and then pull up a window of the Craigslist ad.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Paul MaudDib posted:

He's not down for $300 + the 970 so don't have to worry about it I guess.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dunno how I missed this the first time through. Let's just hope this means there's a x90 part this time around.

How do you feel about Hawaii? :v:

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Echoing what others said about driver reinstalls: I recently had a very similar problem where upon first boot the graphics card would be in limp - along safe mode, but if I rebooted the machine or turned it off and on right away then it would run perfectly.

I put it down to the card being old initially but after DDU and driver reinstall it worked normally again.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I have a post in HOTS with the exact same issue, my 970 will just sporadically be stuck in low power... strange it all turning up at the same time!

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Captain Hair posted:

Echoing what others said about driver reinstalls: I recently had a very similar problem where upon first boot the graphics card would be in limp - along safe mode, but if I rebooted the machine or turned it off and on right away then it would run perfectly.

I put it down to the card being old initially but after DDU and driver reinstall it worked normally again.

Was this under Windows 8 or 10? Sounds like a driver bug concerning the Windows Fast Boot feature. If it's enabled (it is by default), then the only reliable way to cold boot is by performing a Windows restart or maybe interrupting the power on sequence.

"Shutdown" is now a new form of hibernation that keeps kernel mode drivers loaded. Then when you turn the PC on, it "boots" more quickly.
Some GPU drivers did not like being resumed instead of reinitialised and most people are unaware that Microsoft just fundamentally changed what Shutdown does.

You can disable fast boot in control panel power options. Choose what power button does > change settings that are currently unavailable. Disable fast startup.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hair posted:

Captain Yossarian posted:

I have a post in HOTS with the exact same issue, my 970 will just sporadically be stuck in low power... strange it all turning up at the same time!

Had this exact same issue on my 1080. DDU also solved it. This was on the previous set of drivers which I think were just completely broken. Heard a lot of people who updated to them for, For Honor, ended up losing tons of performance.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I had this happen for the first time on my 980Ti after a failed OC on it in Elite. Elite crashed but the card kept running and the driver didn't even crash.

Stuck the core at ~500Mhz which was kind interesting. It was still able to hold near 45FPS in VR in Elite. Goes to show how powerful it still is even at such a slow clock. Reboot fixed this and let the card run normally again.

Once I got it dialed in that it didn't turbo Above 1500mhz though, I was able to hold 90FPS in VR a lot more than it did at only 1404mhz. :vrfrog:

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW RX480s are on sale with significant price cuts, so perhaps we'll really see a Polaris refresh soon.

The "MSI RX480 8GB Armor OC" is on sale for $172 after promo & rebate, reference cards for $180.

If only AMD would support steam streaming hardware acceleration, I paid 290€ for my 1060-6GB only two weeks ago. :argh:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

eames posted:

FWIW RX480s are on sale with significant price cuts, so perhaps we'll really see a Polaris refresh soon.

The "MSI RX480 8GB Armor OC" is on sale for $172 after promo & rebate, reference cards for $180.

If only AMD would support steam streaming hardware acceleration, I paid 290€ for my 1060-6GB only two weeks ago. :argh:

8GB XFX Reference with a free copy of Doom for $179.99 after rebate: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150770

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Stanley Pain posted:

Had this exact same issue on my 1080. DDU also solved it. This was on the previous set of drivers which I think were just completely broken. Heard a lot of people who updated to them for, For Honor, ended up losing tons of performance.

I ddu'd, wiped everything, we'll see if it happens again! It almost has to be driver related, I don't know what else would be causing the odd power state issues in my case

Feb 8, 2008
I recently got given a computer from 2011-2012
It's a i7-930 2.8ghz
24gb ram
2X Radeon HD6950 2gb (crossfire)

Would I see much of a benefit (besides reduction in my power bill) with replacing those old Radeons with a single 1050ti 4gb?
Or is the old i7 going to be to much of a bottleneck?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
At best you might see better performance in games that don't work well with AMD and crossfire, but a single 6950 and a 1050 ti have nearly the same performance. Stuff that works well with crossfire will perform nearly twice as well on the 6950s.

The 930 is hardly a bottleneck, especially if you spend 30 dollars and get a 212 for it and overclock it, overclocks around 3.9Ghz aren't unusual. It'd only start bottlenecking you while overclocked if you were getting into the 1070/1080/980 TI range. (barring unusually CPU heavy games)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Those are Steam keys right? If so that's a super good deal.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm looking to build a new gaming computer, with the target being to keep modern AAA titles like The Witcher 3 and Warhammer: Total War above 30 FPS under heavy load on a single 1080p monitor. I was originally going to go for a GTX 1070 even though it's a bit overkill because the loss in performance to go to a 1060 just didn't seem worth it to save $100 when we're still looking at a price tag comfortably north of $1k, but the clearance sales on the RX 480s look tempting. A quick perusal of benchmark sites suggests they're pretty comparable to a GTX 1060, and $200 savings on a build merits a bit more consideration. Will the RX 480 live up to my needs, and does this particular deal come from a reputable manufacturer?

Thanks for the time.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Voyager I posted:

I'm looking to build a new gaming computer, with the target being to keep modern AAA titles like The Witcher 3 and Warhammer: Total War above 30 FPS under heavy load on a single 1080p monitor. I was originally going to go for a GTX 1070 even though it's a bit overkill because the loss in performance to go to a 1060 just didn't seem worth it to save $100 when we're still looking at a price tag comfortably north of $1k, but the clearance sales on the RX 480s look tempting. A quick perusal of benchmark sites suggests they're pretty comparable to a GTX 1060, and $200 savings on a build merits a bit more consideration. Will the RX 480 live up to my needs, and does this particular deal come from a reputable manufacturer?

Thanks for the time.

Yeah they are great value, but that's a loud AMD reference hairdryer. Please avoid ones that look like that (enclosed plastic boxes) :ohdear:

Here are some simple open coolers, assuming you're looking for plug in & forget and not fiddling with overlclocks.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137048
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131704 I would buy this one because I like backplates for stiffness

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 25, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

craig588 posted:

RMA. Overclocking automatically based on temperature and power use is normal, the 1860 is more like a minimum. in the hottest highest power draw situations.

Thanks, turns out it was just lacking a BIOS update which EVGA conveniently links to on the page where I'd submit a ticket for an RMA. Apparently they can't be bothered to link to that in their actual downloads page where someone would go to look for this poo poo. No underclocking and no crashes so far today after a number of hours in both games where it was having trouble before.

I run a server blower on my CPU because I don't want to go through the bother of cleaning and switching it out. It's loud as gently caress, don't do this.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Voyager I posted:

Thanks for the time.

Wait a week. The RX 480 deals have been that good before and will go nowhere but down, and NVIDIA is announcing the 1080 Ti next week. I think price adjustments to the rest of the line are highly likely. Wouldn't be surprised to see $25-50 knocked off the 1060, $50-75 knocked off the 1070, and $100-125 knocked off the 1080, with the 1080 Ti slotting in around $700.

That's deeper than some people think, but the flip side of NVIDIA waiting so long to release the 1080 Ti is that the earlier cards have utterly saturated the market at their current prices to a much greater extent than in previous generations.

The 1060's price has held steady but the RX 480 is almost $100 under it at this point, which literally more than a 1/3 discount (it's a fantastic deal right now). The 1070 is the real price/performance sweet-spot (lots of demand) and has no real competition so prices have held steadier, but the 1080 has had really deep discounts too. It's dropped more than $150 since launch, you can now get decent cards for $550 or so and sometimes as low as $500.

So I don't really see the 1080 Ti being viable if NVIDIA is still pretending that the 1080 is going for its $700 launch price. Dropping the MSRPs of the other cards in the series is just acknowledging reality. Unless it's like, the full GP102 or something.

AMD is also going to be announcing Vega at the same time, so double whammy.

Wait a week and see what happens.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 25, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Alright, with this and Ryzen on the horizon I guess it's just time to wait until March 3rd before buying a computer.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I just noticed that my GTX 1080 is running at 140-170 MHz while doing 144 Hz at the desktop, so I guess they re-re-re-re-fixed that bug. Cool, I no longer need to run in poo poo mode to keep it clocked down.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Edit: gently caress it, never mind

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 25, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Obsurveyor posted:

I run a server blower on my CPU because I don't want to go through the bother of cleaning and switching it out. It's loud as gently caress, don't do this.

Omg

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm having an issue with my Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X (hooray!). Recently when I try to turn my desktop on, it's been throwing an error. My motherboard has fancy troubleshooting lights, and the VGA one is the one that goes on. Usually just hitting the restart button is enough to get it to boot, but once it just wasn't working. I tried reseating it, and that didn't work, but hitting the restart a few more times while switching from legacy to UEFI bios got it to reboot. Today I had the same thing happen so I'm starting to doubt it was the switch in bios that fixed it. I still want to see if a firmware update helps, but I can't find any source on them for my card. Honestly I don't care, I just want to make it till Vega drops since I've got a Freesync ultrawide and I want *sync and I don't want to pay for GSync.

Does anyone know if there's available firmware updates for that card?

Also, does this sound like it might be a problem with power? I'm probably running a bit tight to the limits of my UPS and I just overclocked my CPU, so I'm wondering if shifting things off battery backup might be the answer. I moved my other monitors off the battery and next time I restart I won't start the monitor on battery backup until the desktop boots or fails to.

Should I buy another card to have one on hand if I don't want to be stuck running off integrated graphics for a while (either getting it back or getting vega)? I don't really have a problem doing that, I have a friend who could use it just fine once I'm done with it.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
What error are you getting specifically?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
You could just get a 480 for now and re-sell it when vegas comes out. Youd probably be out some money, but it would keep you going

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

B-Mac posted:

What error are you getting specifically?

All I'm getting is the red error LED by the number 1 PCIE slot that the manual says is the VGA light. I've got no other real info on it.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

You could just get a 480 for now and re-sell it when vegas comes out. Youd probably be out some money, but it would keep you going

That's basically what I'm thinking of if it doesn't settle down. It's a shame but it'd mean I have a card that works for a while.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a defective RX480 8GB model but while it was running I was achieving 40-50fps in Doom 4k on Ultra. I sent it back and got a GeForce GTX1060.. got around 20-25fps in Doom at 4k. This may be a bandwidth thing so the 1060 is 192bit vs 256bit for the 480.

The GTX1060 got sent back, it was performing so badly I just bought another 480, overclocked it a bit and settled on 40-60fps in Doom, Ultra, 4K.

Maybe DX 11 or whatever games are different but at 4k the RX480 destroys the 1060.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

redeyes posted:

I bought a defective RX480 8GB model but while it was running I was achieving 40-50fps in Doom 4k on Ultra. I sent it back and got a GeForce GTX1060.. got around 20-25fps in Doom at 4k. This may be a bandwidth thing so the 1060 is 192bit vs 256bit for the 480.

The GTX1060 got sent back, it was performing so badly I just bought another 480, overclocked it a bit and settled on 40-60fps in Doom, Ultra, 4K.

Maybe DX 11 or whatever games are different but at 4k the RX480 destroys the 1060.

That is to be expected, Doom in general runs really well on AMD cards because AMD cards do so well in Vulkan and AMD cards scale better as resolution increases.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That is to be expected, Doom in general runs really well on AMD cards because AMD cards do so well in Vulkan and AMD cards scale better as resolution increases.

Doom also uses non-standard Vulkan extensions to dig into GCN-specific optimizations, it's as best-case-scenario for AMD as best-case-scenarios get.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

xthetenth posted:

I'm having an issue with my Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X (hooray!). Recently when I try to turn my desktop on, it's been throwing an error. My motherboard has fancy troubleshooting lights, and the VGA one is the one that goes on. Usually just hitting the restart button is enough to get it to boot, but once it just wasn't working. I tried reseating it, and that didn't work, but hitting the restart a few more times while switching from legacy to UEFI bios got it to reboot. Today I had the same thing happen so I'm starting to doubt it was the switch in bios that fixed it. I still want to see if a firmware update helps, but I can't find any source on them for my card. Honestly I don't care, I just want to make it till Vega drops since I've got a Freesync ultrawide and I want *sync and I don't want to pay for GSync.

Does anyone know if there's available firmware updates for that card?

Also, does this sound like it might be a problem with power? I'm probably running a bit tight to the limits of my UPS and I just overclocked my CPU, so I'm wondering if shifting things off battery backup might be the answer. I moved my other monitors off the battery and next time I restart I won't start the monitor on battery backup until the desktop boots or fails to.
No, it's not a problem with your power or your UPS. Your battery backup has nothing to do with this.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

td4guy posted:

No, it's not a problem with your power or your UPS. Your battery backup has nothing to do with this.

It could well be a failing PSU (not UPS though) but it seems likely to be the GPU to me . The easiest diagnosis would involve another card or igpu

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

It also helps that Doom was basically hand coded to run better on AMD cards.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

1gnoirents posted:

It could well be a failing PSU (not UPS though) but it seems likely to be the GPU to me . The easiest diagnosis would involve another card or igpu

Or undoing the recent overclock, which might not actually be stable. It could be showing up as video problem simply because that's the first (major) thing turned on by the system on boot.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

It also helps that Doom was basically hand coded to run better on AMD cards.

Isn't it more because of async compute and the lack of support of the feature on Nvidia hardware?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SwissCM posted:

Isn't it more because of async compute and the lack of support of the feature on Nvidia hardware?

It implements GCN shader extensions, which are basically low-level architecture specific optimisations for GCN hardware. The difference in Async performance is negligible by comparison (and can be easily tested as only TSAA uses Async in any form).

This makes it the most optimised situation for AMD currently testable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

I have an 8800 GT on hand, I don't have anything newer. I think all I'd need to do to test is see if it boots, so I think that should be sufficient to the task of seeing if it's the PCIe slot, and test that and the IGPU to see if either/both of them have problems to narrow things down, does that sound right to the rest of you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

It implements GCN shader extensions, which are basically low-level architecture specific optimisations for GCN hardware. The difference in Async performance is negligible by comparison (and can be easily tested as only TSAA uses Async in any form).

This makes it the most optimised situation for AMD currently testable.

Does the GCN extensions make the game more Optimized? Or does it run the same without it. Because if the argument that DOOM uses GCN shader extensions so it makes it unfair for nVidia then that's stupid