Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Megazver posted:

Does anyone here listen to Radio War Nerd?

I do. It's alright, I think they're at times overly skeptical and cynical but mostly it's a very sober, even-handed look at the terrible poo poo going on around the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll check that out, I also like war on the rocks, which bills itself as realist.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I like war nerd though I find its often a little soft on issues like russian intervention and imperialism in contrast to the treatment of western power's equivalent. That said, Brecher's stuff is often insightful and interesting and I'd recommend it for anyone interested in modern conflict, so long as they apply a bit of a healthy filter in terms of bias- though good luck finding anything that ISN'T biased one way or another in this particular field

e: also he hates our own Brown Moses and bellingcat :v:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Bohemian Nights posted:

I like war nerd though I find its often a little soft on issues like russian intervention and imperialism in contrast to the treatment of western power's equivalent. That said, Brecher's stuff is often insightful and interesting and I'd recommend it for anyone interested in modern conflict, so long as they apply a bit of a healthy filter in terms of bias- though good luck finding anything that ISN'T biased one way or another in this particular field

e: also he hates our own Brown Moses and bellingcat :v:

Ames and Dolan are cool and it's a good podcast.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

You Must Remember This
is back from its hiatus!
In case any of you aren't familiar with it, it's an exceptionally well researched and produced podcast about the history of Hollywood.

If you want somewhere to start, the series on the Manson Family murders are a great place to start.

quote:

[this series of] You Must Remember This will explore the murders committed in the summer of 1969 by followers of Charles Manson, and the Hollywood music and movie scene surrounding the killings. Throughout the series, we’ll learn how a single sociopath’s thwarted dreams of fame and fortune led to the gruesome events which became the symbolic “end of the sixties.” Future episodes will explore the various celebrities, musicians, movie stars and filmmakers (including Roman Polanski, Sharon Tate, The Beach Boys, Dennis Hopper, Doris Day and more) whose paths crossed with Manson’s in meaningful ways, both leading up to the murders and in their aftermath.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

You Must Remember This owns, but you can probably safely skip the blacklist stuff. Despite being kinda interesting in concept, most of the stories felt very much like variations on a theme. But yeah, that Manson series was riveting as hell.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

aqu posted:

You Must Remember This
is back from its hiatus!
In case any of you aren't familiar with it, it's an exceptionally well researched and produced podcast about the history of Hollywood.

If you want somewhere to start, the series on the Manson Family murders are a great place to start.

I listen to a metric fuckton of podcasts, and You Must Remember This is absolutely one of the top 10 shows out there.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Joe Rogan interviewed Alex Jones, and it is very historical, informational, and educational

suburban virgin posted:

There's a lot of good poo poo in there - the moon landings, psychic vampires, Buzz Aldrin's martian monolith, pizzagate, the real deal behind Barry Sotero's birthplace and parentage, weather control, chemtrails, interdimensional aliens, the 2012 end of the world, the 2012 Ridley Scott movie Prometheus, Y2k, 9/11, the list goes on. But it's a long-form rambling conversation by design. I chilled out last night and played some XCOM2 listening to the whole thing and drinking cider in the dark. It wouldn't feel right cutting it all to pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZPCp8SPfOM

Warning: 4 hours

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Did they like Prometheus?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Joe Rogan interviewed Alex Jones, and it is very historical, informational, and educational

Yeah, he asked the listeners of one of the previous episodes to tweet him questions about all the conspiracies they wanted him to ask Alex Jones about. (The Leah Remini episode was really good, btw. I found out poo poo about Scientology I hadn't heard before, even though I watched/read a bunch of stuff about it.)

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Joe Rogan and Alex Jones are both retarded.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Maybe it's just been a while since I've listened to a Hardcore History, but I'm about halfway through the latest episode and feel like what I've heard could easily be cut in half. Dan is talking in circles so many times and I just want him to get on with it.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Did they bring up the time Alex Jones infiltrated the bohemian grove? That's probably the most interesting thing Jones has done and I'd love to hear more about drunk Republican millionaires frolicking around the woods.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why is he talking about Prometheus

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Dinosaurs! posted:

Maybe it's just been a while since I've listened to a Hardcore History, but I'm about halfway through the latest episode and feel like what I've heard could easily be cut in half. Dan is talking in circles so many times and I just want him to get on with it.

I felt the same way, a lot of the stuff before the Cuban missile crisis felt light on detail and heavy on "what's that like??!" digressions. I chalked it up to knowing a lot more about recent history so not being super interested in a broad overview

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I kind of liked the whole "what's it like for one person to have the power to end all of humanity, and how unusual is it that they never used it" angle on these. I've got a long commute so I don't mind the detail.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

stealie72 posted:

I kind of liked the whole "what's it like for one person to have the power to end all of humanity, and how unusual is it that they never used it" angle on these. I've got a long commute so I don't mind the detail.

Yeah, that's Carlin's draw in my opinion. There are countless podcasts that focus on events and dates, but the spin Carlin applies, the 'Martian perspective' that so many people here don't appreciate, that's what has me anticipating the next release the moment I finish the most recent one.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've listened to his newest episode twice and it already has me wanting to re-read Command and Control and The Dead Hand. It's crazy that people like Stanislav Petrov didn't have loving global holidays and parades dedicated to them.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

It was a good episode, best episode is still the one about the Anabaptists taking over a town.

This episode got me into reading more about early Anabaptists, and the craziness certainly didn't end (or begin) with Münster. Asked Gary Waite, who wrote a lot about the subject, for some advice on which books to read first. He mailed me a bunch of reading materials, which was really cool of him, but he also sent two of his articles as PDF scans, so here's the Dropbox links if someone wants to read more on radical Anabaptism:

From Apocalyptic Crusaders to Anabaptist Terrorists: Anabaptist Radicalism after Münster, 1535-1544

Apocalyptical Terrorists or a Figment of Governmental Paranoia? Reevaluating Anabaptist Violence in the Netherlands and Holy Roman Empire, 1535-1570

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've listened to his newest episode twice and it already has me wanting to re-read Command and Control and The Dead Hand. It's crazy that people like Stanislav Petrov didn't have loving global holidays and parades dedicated to them.

What are your thoughts on The Dead Hand, I've had it sitting in my Kindle library for a bit and haven't had a chance to read it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What are your thoughts on The Dead Hand, I've had it sitting in my Kindle library for a bit and haven't had a chance to read it

I loved it. It's dedicated mostly to the Soviet Biopreparat bioweapons programs and, later, the titular Dead Hand. I left the book actually having some respect for Ronald Reagan - not what I expected - in how committed he seemed to be when it came to nuclear arms reduction, even if he was naive when it came to SDI/"Star Wars." I would absolutely recommend it if you enjoyed the latest Hardcore History episode.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I just started reading it under my desk at work and loved the prologue. I also had ordered a copy of Stalin and the Bomb after Carlin mentioned it during the last podcast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

stealie72 posted:

If detail is what you want you do not want to listen to Carlin.

He takes 15 hours to tell you basically what a sixth grade textbook would.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

The recent episode of Common Sense was awful.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Common sense is usually terrible.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There's basically nothing more obnoxious than calling your political podcast "common sense"
Well, other than saying it's "dangerously thoughtful"

I guess it could be worse and you could be locked in a room listening to 538 forever though

Who knew the white guy really into World War Two and military history had dumb political opinions, nvr seen that before

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Both sides are the saaaaaaaaame

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

to be ABSOLUTELY fair he's totally right about the Dems desperately trying to act like nothing's wrong

if Ellison doesn't beat Perez the leadership has learned nothing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rodyle posted:

if Ellison doesn't beat Perez the leadership has learned nothing

I don't see how, considering they agree on pretty much everything.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

evilpicard posted:

Both sides are the saaaaaaaaame

did you know that the truth...

is somewhere in the middle?

(This latest Common Sense has made me give up on listening to the Common Sense podcast, holy poo poo does it take forever to not say anything)

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

rotinaj posted:

(This latest Common Sense has made me give up on listening to the Common Sense podcast, holy poo poo does it take forever to not say anything)

Since Democrats are hypocrites, and Republicans are also hypocrites, the correct answer is write in Ross Perot :downs:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

rotinaj posted:

I'm glad that Carlin put that disclaimer in his old Hardcore History episodes not to listen to Common Sense if you were just in it for the history. I've never listened to it, and I get the feeling that my enjoyment of Hardcore History would be somehow lessened if I did.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

rotinaj posted:

holy poo poo does it take forever to not say anything)

I've been listening to a lot of historical audiobooks lately and it was quite jarring to go back to the last HH episode where every new event must be accompanied by five minutes of explanation of how exactly each person must have felt.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
what you have here is a Clint Eastwood...in his FINEST ROLE. But opposing him you got a guy that's more of a Charles Bronson in the PRIME OF HIS CAREER. Whaddya do?

- Carlin trying to explain Marius vs Sulla

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
But how many haymakers have they thrown?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
"Clint Eastwood in the Batman sorta role" to describe Leonidas (I think?) was probably the worst of the lot

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

webmeister posted:

"Clint Eastwood in the Batman sorta role" to describe Leonidas (I think?) was probably the worst of the lot

Actually that makes perfect sense because both have been in Zach Snyder directed films.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The newest HH finally did get good but holy poo poo could the first three hours have been 45 minutes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some of the more outrageous or outlandish Dollop episodes? The Rube and Dolphin are the two I hear the most from fans, but if I were to put together a list of 5-10 to listen to with a newcomer what are the other craziest ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Willie Dee and The Toxic Woman of Riverside are two of my favorites

edit: and Ten Cent Beer Night, of course