Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm in the mood to watch dudes beat the poo poo out of each other. Netflix seems to have a small handful of classic martial arts movies. Masked Avengers looks promising. Any other Netflix suggestions?

Without knowing which classics you've already seen:

The 36th Chamber and Five Venoms are pretty much mandatory viewing for classic kung fu. FIve Elements Ninjas is great fight stuff and spectacle but weaker in terms of actually having a plot or ending. Crippled Avengers is kind of amazing in a way that can could never be made today and has very solid action. They used to have The Kid With The Golden Arm which was my personal favorite and the most over the top/wild costumes but it looks like that's gone for now.

Ong-Bak 2 and The Protector 2 are both up right now for some very brutal Tony Jaa muay thai action.

It looks like the whole Ip Man series is streaming which are very very loosely biographical movies based around the guy who taught Bruce Lee how to fight, featuring Donnie Yen who is a supremely talented martial artist and fun to watch.

You also have Jet Li's Hero for something a little more serious and gorgeously filmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Throwing in Once Upon a Time in China as well, assuming it's still up on Netflix, it's not the most martial-arts centric, but should be pretty much required viewing anyway.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll give Five Venoms a shot.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Crippled Avengers (1978) is on Netflix streaming, stop whatever you're doing and watch it right now

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's been there, and it is indeed quite a fuckin' movie.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Taoism Drunkard was on Amazon for a long time. It's a rad as heck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm in the mood to watch dudes beat the poo poo out of each other. Netflix seems to have a small handful of classic martial arts movies. Masked Avengers looks promising. Any other Netflix suggestions?

Ip Man: The Final Fight is on Netflix. It's unrelated to the goofy Donnie Yen flicks and is like, a legitimate great film instead of a dumb slapfest, but it still has great martial arts fights in it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Mover posted:

Without knowing which classics you've already seen:

The 36th Chamber and Five Venoms are pretty much mandatory viewing for classic kung fu. FIve Elements Ninjas is great fight stuff and spectacle but weaker in terms of actually having a plot or ending. Crippled Avengers is kind of amazing in a way that can could never be made today and has very solid action. They used to have The Kid With The Golden Arm which was my personal favorite and the most over the top/wild costumes but it looks like that's gone for now.

Ong-Bak 2 and The Protector 2 are both up right now for some very brutal Tony Jaa muay thai action.

It looks like the whole Ip Man series is streaming which are very very loosely biographical movies based around the guy who taught Bruce Lee how to fight, featuring Donnie Yen who is a supremely talented martial artist and fun to watch.

You also have Jet Li's Hero for something a little more serious and gorgeously filmed.

How long has Hero been on there? I've been wanting to rewatch that for ages

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Five Venoms was silly and fun. I liked it a lot.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I very recently compiled a big rear end list of what sounded like poo poo I wanted to watch (this thread was invaluable, of course) - been updating a public copy of it and just went back to make sure I had the sources listed for all of then. I resubbed to Netflix so I could watch the films exclusive to that service, but honestly if you have Amazon Prime it's a goldmine for all this.

A handful of films weren't on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Amazon via one-off rental (e.g. DVD-only on Netflix, or via Amazon's weird new crop of "you have to subscribe to these weird channels" offerings) so when necessary, I resorted to borrowing copies from Internet friends :v:

If this is missing stuff you think is amazing, I probably did hear about them, but the description sounded like it wasn't something I'd enjoy (or it sounded super similar to something else on the list). But do tell me anyways, one never knows...

https://gist.github.com/bitprophet/4bb1c1fb50ecf1f07efa791d34d93266

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You are missing Dragons Forever, last movie with Yuen Biao, Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung, also features fight with Benny 'the Jet' Urquidez at the end that is NOT to be missed. Classic Jackie stunts that make you go 'fuckin OW that was awesome but GODDAMN' The plot is laughable (Jackie Chan plays a lawyer) but the action is fun as hell and almost non stop.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Oracle posted:

You are missing Dragons Forever
Great one, Wheels on Meals has those three as well and I saw it streaming someplace a coupla years ago. I'd add Sammo's Pedicab Driver, if you can find it, and Police Story 2, which not only has insane Pre-CGI fire gags but also serves as the 'inspiration' for the best stunt in Bad Boys 2.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Any movie with at least 2 of those 3 is gunna be pretty good

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Grump, neither of those seem to be on any streaming service, will have to put them on my "if I get serious enough to buy discs" list - thanks!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Remulak posted:

I'd add Sammo's Pedicab Driver, if you can find it, and Police Story 2, which not only has insane Pre-CGI fire gags but also serves as the 'inspiration' for the best stunt in Bad Boys 2.

Unless we're thinking of a different stunt, that scene's in the original Police Story.

FishBulb posted:

Any movie with at least 2 of those 3 is gunna be pretty good

You can't really go wrong with anything starring Sammo Hung. Biao's filmography is a bit more spotty, but even his worst projects still highlight his incredible skills.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Samuel Clemens posted:

Unless we're thinking of a different stunt, that scene's in the original Police Story.
Ha ha, that's funny as hell, I am clearly thinking of a different gag, the Police Story 2 opening scene where they crash downhill through a shantytown.

What are you thinking of?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Remulak posted:

Ha ha, that's funny as hell, I am clearly thinking of a different gag, the Police Story 2 opening scene where they crash downhill through a shantytown.

What are you thinking of?

That's the opening of Police Story 1. Police Story 2 is a pretty great film, and contains one of Jackie Chan's best fight scenes (the playground fight) but the shantytown scene is definitely, beyond any doubt, in the first one.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I was going to suggest Heroes of the East but it looks like it's gone now :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Are the Shaw Bros films on Amazon Prime subtitled or English dubbed?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think all of the ones I've seen are dubbed.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FishBulb posted:

I think all of the ones I've seen are dubbed.

:(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Samuel Clemens posted:

You can't really go wrong with anything starring Sammo Hung. Biao's filmography is a bit more spotty, but even his worst projects still highlight his incredible skills.

For Biao: Peacock King, the Kid from Tibet, Dreadnaught, Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain 1983 version, Mr. Vampire 2 (he's in 1 as well as a jiang-shi), and of course Righting Wrongs aka Above the Law with Cynthis Rothrock. That last one is a must watch.

He's also in Project A and Project A 2 as well as Miracles which is one of my favorite Chan films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehdB3QUqkD4

Cynthia vs Sammo in Millionaires Express. also a must watch movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lotvAVyBA

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 6, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

I have to admit I don't care at all :shrug: like, normally sure but for the Kung Fu I'm fine with it

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FishBulb posted:

I have to admit I don't care at all :shrug: like, normally sure but for the Kung Fu I'm fine with it

I've wondered if some people actually prefer the dubbed version of these movies, since it adds another layer of camp. Kinda like Godzilla movies. I guess I can see that. I dunno, the purist in me wants to hear the original audio. But I'll take what I can get.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Yea, most of what I've seen so far has been dubbed, though I personally prefer subs for my foreign entertainment. Definitely not as big a deal with this genre however, as noted the extra camp is often a good thing.

Hilariously, Amazon's copy of Master of the Flying Guillotine has the English dub randomly cut out in various spots, replaced by the original dub (Mandarin? Can never remember which is used for whose films). So you'll e.g. have a character ask a question in English, followed by the answer in Chinese. As a speaker of only one of those, it gave me the giggles.

EDIT: re: Heroes of the East, I assume the poster was replying to the Netflix question? Cuz it appears to be available on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Heroes-East-Gordon-Liu-Chia-hui/dp/B00RBXIKB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491492229&sr=8-2&keywords=heroes+of+the+east - unless this is one of the many title mixups out there and it's some unrelated film.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bitprophet posted:

EDIT: re: Heroes of the East, I assume the poster was replying to the Netflix question? Cuz it appears to be available on Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Heroes-East-Gordon-Liu-Chia-hui/dp/B00RBXIKB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491492229&sr=8-2&keywords=heroes+of+the+east - unless this is one of the many title mixups out there and it's some unrelated film.

That looks right! Good, I'm glad it's streaming somewhere because it deserves to be seen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've wondered if some people actually prefer the dubbed version of these movies, since it adds another layer of camp. Kinda like Godzilla movies. I guess I can see that. I dunno, the purist in me wants to hear the original audio. But I'll take what I can get.
I like having my eyes focused totally on the actors, and I've learned to find them awkward pauses and such charming.

Also Project A is an underrated Chan classic with a couple oh-holy-poo poo classic Jackie stunts.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mr. Vampire 2 (he's in 1 as well as a jiang-shi),
Aha, If you've never seen a Mr Vampire, or any other 'hopping vampire' movie, you're in for a treat!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I like having my eyes focused totally on the actors, and I've learned to find them awkward pauses and such charming.

Also Project A is an underrated Chan classic with a couple oh-holy-poo poo classic Jackie stunts.

And number 2, while it's way too loving complicated, still has two scenes that are pretty much pure distilled Chan. They're not necessarily his best work, but they are a perfect encapsulation of what set him apart.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 7, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Supercop is a lot of fun as well, not quite as insane as Police Story 1 but still filled with a lot of the same kinds of stunts and gags. I think they might have pulled it from Netflix now though?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Crippled Avengers (1978) is on Netflix streaming, stop whatever you're doing and watch it right now

I watched this one tonight and loved it. Such a great plot. And the fights were spectacular.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Spatulater bro! posted:

I watched this one tonight and loved it. Such a great plot. And the fights were spectacular.

It's wonderful. Glad you enjoyed it.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Supercop is a lot of fun as well, not quite as insane as Police Story 1 but still filled with a lot of the same kinds of stunts and gags. I think they might have pulled it from Netflix now though?

It's available as an Amazon streaming rental: https://www.amazon.com/Supercop-Jackie-Chan/dp/B00K5M0BB6/

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Halloween Jack posted:

Is Project A the one with the bicycle chase? That one owns.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is Project A the one with the bicycle chase? That one owns.

Yep, Project A is really really good, the only thing it lacks is a good villain for the final fight.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

So a ton of old Jackie Chan movies are up on ShoutFactoryTV for streaming right now, including Police Story 1 and 2 and thread favorite Fantasy Mission Force. It's all free, so check it out if you have a minute.

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/film/martial_arts

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I totally forgot that Shout Factory TV just has a free rotation of streaming movies.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

So a ton of old Jackie Chan movies are up on ShoutFactoryTV for streaming right now, including Police Story 1 and 2 and thread favorite Fantasy Mission Force. It's all free, so check it out if you have a minute.

It looks like they have the Japanese cut of Police Story 2 which has a bunch of extra scenes. I have the double-feature Blu-ray, and overall, they were both pretty good movies. The picture quality for two was pretty good. One was pretty lovely, but looked less of a "they did a bad job mastering the disc" and more "this quality of the source material is lacking."

Sadly, Fantasy Mission Force is in a pan and scan format. I mean, I can deal with it being dubbed, but 4x3 pan and scan is just wrong.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

:getin:

Also uh ... watched Circle of Iron. Went in expecting a whole lot of David Carradine silliness, got that and a whole lot of :stare: :stare: :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

:getin:

Also uh ... watched Circle of Iron. Went in expecting a whole lot of David Carradine silliness, got that and a whole lot of :stare: :stare: :stare:

Peyote is a hell of a drug.