Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erpy posted:

Yeah and Kloe used to be "Klose". And archaisms used to be "overmuppets". Not every Japanese term sounds good in English.

Excuse me I think you'll find that's localization and is the same as censorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Excuse me I think you'll find that's localization and is the same as censorship.

What does this have to do with xseed editing their own translation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

i dont know.

anyway, funfact, zane's original jp name is actually written the same way as 'gin.' It's still meant to be 'Zin,' that's how they write it in official posters that use English letters and stuff, it's just funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Erpy posted:

And archaisms used to be "overmuppets". Not every Japanese term sounds good in English.

i think you just contradicted yourself

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cake Attack posted:

Pretty sure it was a joke about how crazy people get over this stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started up Trails of Cold Steel. This game owns owns owns. I got spoiled on what I assume is a huge twist Rean gets a loving Gundam? but all these guys are really cool to hang out with and the writing is great and the voice direction is outstanding. I guess the only flaw is that money feels hard to come by and some fights feel like a Ys game in that being underleveled on Hard is a death sentence.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you're low on money, sell quartz and sepith you don't have any use for. that stuff is in way higher supply than money

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's not really much of a spoiler. like it happens late in the game but also something that pretty much every and all promotional stuff gives away.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

As long as you aren't actively avoiding fights, it shouldn't be too hard to stay leveled thanks to XP scaling. The actual death sentence is not knowing in advance when a boss is going to resist physical attacks and lean heavily on one status ailment.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

if you're low on money, sell quartz and sepith you don't have any use for. that stuff is in way higher supply than money

I've been selling the blank sepith the game obviously wants you to sell, but since everyone's orbments aren't unlocked I'm hesitant on doing the other ones. I should probably abandon my JRPG packrat mentality of "I MIGHT need this someday" for unneeded quartz though.

Cake Attack posted:

it's not really much of a spoiler. like it happens late in the game but also something that pretty much every and all promotional stuff gives away.

Yeah I think I got spoiled by looking at the CS2 page. Still would have been cool to come out of nowhere though since nothing besides the one landmark remotely indicates that that'd be a thing.

Really Pants posted:

As long as you aren't actively avoiding fights, it shouldn't be too hard to stay leveled thanks to XP scaling. The actual death sentence is not knowing in advance when a boss is going to resist physical attacks and lean heavily on one status ailment.

I kinda ended up avoiding ones in the chapter I just did (the Nord Plains) because lol at killing half the enemies there. It was mostly brutal because the fake jaegers/Obligatory Boss is a nasty combo when you're underleveled and underequipped.

And thanks for the help all. Am I wrong in thinking that modifying weapons is a waste until endgame for everyone but Rean.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that modifying weapons is a waste until endgame for everyone but Rean.

It's not that great even for Rean. Definitely something you don't need to do unless you have extra ressources. You also shouldn't worry if it looks like you won't be able to fully upgrade your party every chapter. Buy what you can afford and don't let it bother you too much.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I haven't been sweating it for a while now, but I'll probably just upgrade Reans weapons since he's like the third best at killing things and he's always there. I was just curious if they were gonna be a stupidly common drop soon since the cost for the next field study's gonna pretty absurd otherwise.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I've been selling the blank sepith the game obviously wants you to sell, but since everyone's orbments aren't unlocked I'm hesitant on doing the other ones. I should probably abandon my JRPG packrat mentality of "I MIGHT need this someday" for unneeded quartz though.

Have Elliot cook the Egg recipe you get in the beginning. He is the best at it and they sell for profit. Rince and repeat till you have more than enough money.

Money availabilty is much better in the sequel.

CVE fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 1, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Welp, guess it's time to make a shitton of omelets! And I just finished the first day of Chapter 4's field study. Did they really need to rapid fire barrage everyone's backstory at me? I knew Fie's was coming since the game didn't even bother being remotely subtle but still, lol

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Modifying weapons works the best on the casters since it adds ATS which the normal weapons do not have. Otherwise it's not great and better saved for later. If you don't care about normal attacks of your casters modifying a weapon once and using it is usually a solid choice since if I remember correctly the mods always add the same amount of ATS and no weapon in the game adds it naturally.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Other characters' weapons add evade%, which is also very handy.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My advice is to buy cat ears instead with the Umats.

I had enough for everyone at the end.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the DotEmu version of Ys Origins is getting a limited run physical release w/ a collector's edition with an art book, for anyone interested.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe wait to see if they patch it first.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Speak of the devil, it got a 1.01 patch today. I don't know what's in it though

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/849371117613707264

Exciting stuff. :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Speak of the devil, it got a 1.01 patch today. I don't know what's in it though

Everything I can test without starting a fourth play through seems to have been fixed.

Changes from the Steam version like the third character only unlocking after you've finished the game with both starting characters seem to be deliberate though, I think the original PC release was the same way?

E: no one saw that screenshot I didn't realise had my real name on it :ninja:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Apparantly Falcom mag's showing some new peeks at Sen III.

A first look at Millium, who indeed doesn't seem to have aged any more than Altina:

Some silhouettes of additional characters. Judging by the shape, two of those are almost certainly Aurelia Leguin and Wallace Bardias.

An additional peek at the Sen III art book that comes with Ys VIII too. Looks like Alan made his way into the regular military while Vivi got into photography. (because pink hair)

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Somehow seeing all the NPCs I loved 2ish years older never hit my mind.

We better visit Trista so I can see that kid get embarassed by his parents some more, and if that other family is still fixed and if the daughter actually started fishing, and if .... I'm gonna stop myself there.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol always with Barkhorn

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Localization blog: http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/159288714430/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-series-localization

tldr xseed makes other loc companies look bad, also hatsuu is insane

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hatsuu is badass

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Wait hold up, doesnt everyone have a text document about the NPCs?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

*on a date*
"So what do you like to do on Friday evenings?"
"I keep track of NPCs in video games with a huge google doc"
"that's badass"

lord hobo
Mar 7, 2010

We have a date now
http://store.steampowered.com/app/436670/

Just three weeks

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Between Nier, Zelda BotW, Specter Knight, Persona 5, TitS 3rd, and titles in my backlog like MGSV, I just don't know how I'm gonna divide all my time. Hard to think of a time in gaming that's been so packed for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Between Nier, Zelda BotW, Specter Knight, Persona 5, TitS 3rd, and titles in my backlog like MGSV, I just don't know how I'm gonna divide all my time. Hard to think of a time in gaming that's been so packed for me.

Get a good gaming PC with multiple monitors. Nier on one screen, TitS on the other. A Switch for Zelda. Wait get put Specter Knight on 3DS/Vita. Play Persona 5 on PS4 on your TV. Boom. Simple and efficient.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Well, guess I need to plow through Persona 5 in three weeks. Or play two to three rpgs at the same time :shepicide:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

EXCELLENT

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How do I get the necessary extra limbs grafted to me though?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/850395968570773504

e: gently caress I can't figure out how to embed this. Tweet says we're getting PC ports of CS1/2 with 5000 additional voiced lines. No more Mysterious Silent Rean!

double e: it worked?

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 7, 2017

lord hobo
Mar 7, 2010

And now we get a pc version of cold steel 1&2 with 50% more voiced lines.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/850395724223098880

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd be more interested if it had the Japanese track, but probably not enough to buy it again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lord hobo posted:

And now we get a pc version of cold steel 1&2 with 50% more voiced lines.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/850395724223098880

Oh shiiiiit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Welp. I guess I'll be owning 2 copies of ToCS just like I own 2 copies of TitS.
loving awesome, can't wait for Chapter 3 despite being only 20hours into Persona 5.