Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

3 PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

poo poo, that's far too late for me :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The stream is live! Come watch me lose my mind as I play video games all day like a loser! Starting off with some chill morning Serious Sam, then returning to Deadly Premonition for more insanity.

edit: Newwwww URL due to connection probleeems thanks youtuuube

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 26, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Both parts of the stream (pre and post internet troubles) have finally processed! Hell yeah! It's more CJacobs than you could ever truly imagine or desire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkk3bSriFm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a90otlM13U

Uh, ignore the titles. Don't read the titles!! poo poo!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
More streaming! Never stop streaming! In lieu of doing an LP of Dark Souls 3, which I probably will return to someday anyway, I decided instead to do a nice and slow paced long-form stream of the game. Here's the first bit of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v77T0S5Jbv0

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

More streaming! Never stop streaming!

Çlow down ÇJacobs, you'll cauçe yourçelf another health criçiç.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah. Have some of that gum you like.

I hear it's coming back in style.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yeah. Have some of that gum you like.

I hear it's coming back in style.

It may in fact already be.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

http://cjacobs.wikia.com/wiki/Cjacobs_Wiki

3,000 canines, huh?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Brush up on your CJacobs LORE

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I have started The Most Important Page

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can't believe you've done this. And yet, I'm not going to try and fight it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Step two: an uncomfortably detailed TVTropes page.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Step three: erotic fanfiction with a focus on voice. (And calculi.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015

whowhatwhere posted:

Step two: an uncomfortably detailed TVTropes page.

Is there any other kind?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
REST IN PAIN

The last episode of Twin Peaks will be hard to top. You now have now seen pretty much every shade the show has to offer. And as it turns out, the shades are a very bright red! Although they're more like drapes. Stage curtains. You know what I mean. Cooper's dream will be a central plot point for the rest of the show, and one thing I love about this series is that it knows exactly what you want and just what you expect. And it's gonna take those two things and tell you to stick 'em where the sun don't shine. I don't have much more to say here so let's just get right to it.

SYNOPSIS

I think it's interesting how Cooper confirms his suspicions that Audrey wrote him the "Jack with One Eye" note. He literally just asks her to write her name down and she does it because she likes him and isn't paying attention. You can tell based on their conversation that he knows she's interested in him- though she's not hiding it very well -and he's just exploited her distraction in the tiniest way to get what he wants to know. You don't see Cooper enacting any subterfuge often in this show, so it's neat to see it when it does appear in small amounts. The way he toys with her is almost insidious coming from someone so nice. More importantly though, he learns from her about One Eyed Jack's, the very same skeezy joint that Ben Horne and his brother visited in the last episode. And even more pertinent, Laura might have worked there, and she and Ronette are connected via their workplace... at Horne's department store. Run by Ben Horne.

Before the show gives us time to even process that bomb, Harry comes in with Lucy in tow to hear Cooper's revelation. It is now that you are probably remembering that he knows who killed Laura already. I perked up when I remembered that, watching this episode for the first time. Any other TV show would've shown you a flashback, or a cut, or opened with dream Laura whispering in Cooper's ear. But Twin Peaks is content to let it sit at the back of your mind, ready to pop out at a moment's notice.

And I bet you were feeling just about as antsy as Harry when he scrambled to the table and asked, on the edge of his seat, who the hell killed Laura Palmer????

And Cooper's "I don't remember" is one of my favorite pieces of acting on the show. MacLachlan just completely sells the line so well. He does tell them about his dream, though, sort of. Their goal becomes clear: If they, like us, can interpret the dream, they can solve the crime.

But they have no time to dwell on that because Albert is making trouble at the morgue. As Coop mentioned a few episodes ago, today is the day of Laura's funeral and they're moving her body to get it ready for the proceedings. Albert ain't letting that happen because, as a forensics expert, he wants more time to pick her apart in a bid for finding more evidence because... I mean, let's face it, they have virtually nothing. Well, the doctor refuses to give her up because the people of Twin Peaks need their closure.

On the one hand, I sympathize with him because it's a very human thing to want. Albert gets that, he just doesn't agree. I honestly am more inclined to fall on his side of the issue; Laura's murder being solved is what will bring them true closure, and the more evidence they can gather, the better. It would be nice if he wasn't such a dick about it though. After Albert's sock in the jaw, Cooper actually gets serious for once and orders him to release the body. He's actually quite intimidating!

While they presumably are doing that, Leland is getting ready for the funeral himself in the best way he knows how anymore: By being weepy. Pay attention to Invitation to Love, the show-within-a-show. As we've learned from our dear friend Alan Wake, show-within-a-shows can be entertaining and at the same time a bit revealing about the plot and what the show's creators think of it. Invitation to Love is currently poking fun at shows reusing actors for different roles as long-running soap operas generally do... when suddenly, Sheryl Lee returns as Laura's cousin! Fair enough, Twin Peaks! Perhaps a bit on the nose, but I get what you're going for, it's very self-aware of you.

At the Oh Deer Diner, I mean the Double-R, we learn more of Norma's husband who is on his way out of prison. He was mentioned very briefly earlier in the series, but the news that he might be getting out on good behavior is throwing a wrench into Norma's fling with Ed. I like that she makes it pretty obvious that she really just does not give a drat about Hank. Peggy Lipton portrays her conflicted attitude on the matter very well. She says she'll help the case worker, but she knows inside and we know just from looking at her that she doesn't really want to.

Meanwhile, Leo gets relentlessly owned by Cooper as they interrogate him at his home. They don't find out much except that he is a conniving liar who really should button up the rest of his stupid dumb overalls. And that Cooper is a fan of ducks. Cooper the copper can't take Leo in for questioning because they don't have any dirt on him, and I think they realize that. Perhaps this little visit was intended to be their way of coming in peace, to find out if Leo really is a homicidal maniac and save them the effort of breaking the code/solving the crime. Well, they were wrong, but I can't blame them for trying.

A while later, Bobby is getting ready for the funeral with his family. Things are not well inside the disgruntled young man's head, because he is starting to understand something that maybe you've felt too. At the very beginning of the show we were told how perfect Laura was, how she was idolized and loved by everyone. Homecoming queen, gorgeous young girl with a bright future ahead of her. And yet, since her death, we have heard nothing but bad things about her. She sold drugs, she slept around, she might have worked at a whorehouse; she cheated on her boyfriend, stole thousands of dollars from her friends, and probably jaywalked too. From minute one we thought we knew Laura just based on the characters' reactions to her death, but like them, maybe we never really knew her at all. And now that Bobby is aware of this, his father- despite the inspirational speech -is powerless to stop him from possibly screwing up the funeral.

At the same time, Cooper and Harry are discussing presumably what they learned from Leo (nothing) and the evidence they have to go on (nothing) when Albert comes in with his finished report. Laura tested positive for cocaine, a surprise to nobody, and mentions that she was tied up with two different kinds of wire. Cooper recalls an element of his dream, where the little man's cousin claimed that 'sometimes her arms bend back'. Nobody else reacts, but he knows it's significant. Albert also reveals that Laura has... bird bites and claw marks on her shoulders? Okay! Finally, he presents a partially digested bit of plastic with the letter 'J' on it. Very conspicuous letter, that J is becoming! It's always been one of my least favorite letters of the alphabet. Albert makes his leave, and the boys in plaid get ready for the funeral.

Before we can get there, though, it is time for Ed and Nadine's allotted time in this episode! Hooray. They are now happy together- one of them is at least -thanks to Ed bumbling his way into silent drape runners for all mankind. Nadine is overjoyed at the idea of getting them patented so they can be rich. I admire her optimism. They embrace just as our dear friend James makes his entrance. He refuses to go to Laura's funeral because it's just too painful for him and he, like Bobby, has just lost his faith in the girl. You may be starting to notice something about James that I too began to notice at this point: He is a real mopey dude. But he's not the interesting kind of mopey, he's just a pouty guy. I... honestly couldn't tell you if the writers intended for it to come across that way, to this day I still do not know what their intent with James was. We'll learn more about that later.

For now, it is time for Laura's funeral. It's quaint, and all the main characters are conveniently present, as she sits in the coffin before them. It's an important moment for multiple reasons. Laura has been the connecting theme between most of these characters for the entire show so far. For some of them, it's all they've talked about or even thought about. Laura is dead but their lives are still revolving around her as if she is a ghost hovering over them. A specter that just won't go to rest, and maybe the townsfolk are hoping that this will start the process of healing. The murder isn't solved yet, not by a long shot, but lowering Laura down into the earth is meant to give them some sort of solace. That's what funerals are for. It's like Albert says, they're nothing special, it's just a ceremony to celebrate the life of someone who's not with us anymore. You can have a funeral anytime. But putting it off and putting it off would just keep them from getting the mental break that we now know not many of them actually deserve given their personal lives, and so it's time to bring peace.

Or it would be if Bobby didn't hold true to his promise to TURN IT UP SIDE DOWNNNN, as it were. He calls everyone out for being hypocrites, for pretending as if Laura really was that perfect angel they thought of her as or perhaps wanted her to be. And honestly, he's right. They do deserve it, some more than others. She needed help, and she could have gotten it if it weren't for her public image masking her private life so well. James, who decided to come anyway, rushes onto the scene to beat the ever-loving snot out of Bobby for ruining the funeral, and has to be restrained in a pretty ridiculous looking slow-mo Epic Battle. All hell breaks loose then, with the cops and Ed wrestling the two apart while the Palmers burst into tears again. Leland, overwhelmed once more by his insane grief, jumps on top of the casket and weeps. It is all at once sad, funny, and weird as all hell. That's what this show does best, and this scene ends with a bang that I feel was necessary at this point.

We cut to later on that evening, where the plaid police (and Ed) have gathered at the diner to discuss something with Cooper. Norma does a crude reenactment of Leland's freakout, which is weird and out of character. Maybe on purpose? I don't know!

Harry tells Cooper something INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT that he probably should have let him in on way earlier: There are mysterious forces at work in Twin Peaks. For generations, a secret society in the town has been working to uphold the peace behind the scenes, undercover. There's evil, a presence, to be found in the surrounding woods. I feel like he probably should've let Cooper know this when he was doing the Tibet thing but hey whatever. This secret society is called the Bookhouse Boys, and they fight for the powers of goodness. Sort of. We never actually see them do anything on the show, spoilers. But it's the implication of doing stuff that matters here!

So they take Coop to the Bookhouse, where they have set up an impromptu interrogation session with one of the workers at the Roadhouse bar, Bernard Renault. A few episodes ago Ed brought up his concerns to Harry that he was drugged before the bar brawl that took place that evening, slipped a mickey by a fella named Jacques Renault, and this is of course his brother. We learn about another facet of Twin Peaks (the show and the town) that has been lurking under the surface but yet unheard of in person; the drug trade between America and Canada starts at the border and passes through Twin Peaks on its way to wherever it goes. Bernard here is a trafficker, working with Jacques, and the cops think he may have details on where the drugs came from and thus how Laura got the cocaine. Well, it turns out he does but he's not tellin'. He has warned Jacques to make a run for the border and escape to Canada, and he enlists Leo to help him make his escape. Before the scene ends, the entire world collectively goes "oh hell yeah!!" as Shelly reveals she has bought a gun with which to defend herself from Leo. She stows it in a secret compartment in a shelf, along with the bloodied shirt she is still hiding from him.

Knowing that they have no idea where Jacques is heading, the cops just let him go. Cooper spends his time idling at the cemetery in the shadows, watching for anyone who might come to pay their respects after hours. Sure enough, a mysterious trenchcoated figure appears to lay flowers on the grave, late at night. But as Coop reveals himself and he turns around, we spot a very familiar hawaiian outlook on life as it's our dear creepy friend Dr. Jacoby. Surprisingly, he is completely open with Coop about his obsession with Laura, and his creepiness seems almost understandable as he explains his position. He doesn't care about his other patients, they're all just whiners to him, except for Laura who- as we now know -was interesting, but very kind to him. From the suspicious look on Cooper's face, we can tell that he buys it, but feels there is more he's not being told.

It is now the happy Packard family's allotted episode appearance! Josie confides in Harry what she learned from the ledgers; she suspects that Catherine and Ben plan on committing insurance fraud on the mill so they can sell the property for big money no whammies. She also suspects that they were responsible for the death of her husband Andrew, the event that caused her to come into ownership of the mill in the first place. Harry of course agrees to look into it.

The episode ends with Cooper and Deputy Hawk having a heart-to-heart about the soul over a beer. Leland, still totally overwhelmed by grief, is dancing by himself among the hotel's dining room patrons in the middle of the floor. The two abandon their absent-minded chat and help him to his feet, and the long day of Laura's funeral comes to a close.

MY THOUGHTS

I think it's very fascinating how the show brings everyone together, but they don't interact at all. Basically everybody we've met so far is at the funeral- the reasonable people anyway -and yet they never speak a word to one another. That's what I feel to be the most interesting thing about the characters of Twin Peaks. Like R. Kelly's epic Trapped in the Closet, the characters are all interconnected by a single thread and yet the vast majority of them never even speak to one another. The scene where James came in to announce he wasn't going to the funeral is the first time he and Nadine have appeared together onscreen even though he lives there. Twin Peaks focuses very heavily on person-to-person involvement but it's never so dense that you have to start drawing lines from one character to several. It touches deeply on how inter-personal relationships can have far reaching consequences and effects even outside of those you may know or even understand, and I think that's just great.

I've got two prompts for you this time, on separate subjects: First, could you tell this episode was not written or directed by Frost and Lynch? I was going to mention it in the introduction but I decided not to because I feel it'd be more interesting if you weren't aware. It's the first of what will be very many over the series' life, and while the two had a hand in most things on the first season, you will probably be able to feel the show slipping a bit out of their grasp as it goes on.

Second, what the hell did Harry mean by telling Cooper about the evil surrounding Twin Peaks? Does he know more than he's letting Cooper in on? Is it a physical evil, or just a feeling? And like I said, in either case, why didn't he tell Coop about this earlier when he saw what kindred spirits the two of them turned out to be?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 31, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe Harry didn't feel like Cooper was one of them yet before he stood up for them against Albert. He has since the moment he arrived proclaimed his love of the town and its great coffee, but you know, he's not from here. That really means something in a small town, especially when you're going to reveal the truth about a secret society. Maybe Harry was afraid that Cooper was going to laugh at them for their silly little gesture.

I don't think there's a physical evil demon in the forests around Twin Peaks (other than BOB, I guess). I think it's an extension of the Lynch trope of the dark underbelly of society. Maybe people are just more lovely towards each other here, or maybe it's more apparent in a small town. If it's close to the Canadian border, there's probably been smuggling of one type or another in Twin Peaks for as long as the town has been there, and smuggling draws criminals like poo poo draws flies.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 31, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
1) I could not tell this episode was not directed by Frost or Lynch. In my defense, I'm not personally familiar with their directing or writing style.

2) Being a small town in the middle of nowhere, I figure that bad habits are hard to fight. Look at what kind of people this town cultivates, like Leo, Hank, and Laura. So that's the kind of "evil" the Bookhouse Boys are trying to fight... Though I will say that it's fairly irresponsible for the sheriff, the effective deputy, and the good men in the town/show to be part of a... vigilante group. Because that's what I'm seeing, here.

3) I have gotten to a point in the show where I have actually yelled "Holy poo poo!" after seeing a new development pop up. Because seriously, holy poo poo.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

White Coke posted:

Is there any other kind?

The ones on great classical works of literature are always a little bit sparse...

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

bman in 2288 posted:

1) I could not tell this episode was not directed by Frost or Lynch. In my defense, I'm not personally familiar with their directing or writing style.

I must have never really paid attention to the directing, because I've seen loads of David Lynch films and I never noticed it either. Honestly, this is a weird episode to point it out, though. All the visual Lynchian stuff kind of happened last episode. If he had directed this episode, I wonder if there would have really been anything for him to sink his teeth into.

This episode just stands out because of people's strange behaviour. Like Leland jumping on the coffin. I love Leland. He's simultaneously charming and pathetic.

SIGSEGV posted:

The ones on great classical works of literature are always a little bit sparse...

Why does this exist?

Creator / Chrétien de Troyes posted:

Getting Crap Past the Radar: In his time, criticism of the ruling court was... unwise. de Troyes gets around this by combining two tropes. First, it was certainly common opinion that the Good Old Ways were better, so even the aristocracy of the day would agree that Arthur and his advisers were more noble, more courtly, more enlightened. After driving that uncontroversial point home, de Troyes then mentions how the court of Arthur was not that interesting most of the time, filled with petty bickering, people waiting for things to happen, and Arthur himself falling asleep at the table out of boredom. It was his way of saying "these guys certainly had their problems, and you're nowhere near as good as they were."

I don't feel so good. :barf:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
there's literally nothing objectionable in that paragraph but congrats on finding something inane to get upset about on a website most famous for having a bunch of pedos on it

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

mandatory lesbian posted:

there's literally nothing objectionable in that paragraph but congrats on finding something inane to get upset about on a website most famous for having a bunch of pedos on it

I find it pretty objectionable to reduce classic literature to phrases like Getting Crap Past the Radar. This tidbit is also taken out of context, and does not really portray the text correctly. Chrétien did not intend to criticise the nobility, he wanted to establish them.

Am I required to know about the pedophiles on that site before I talk about literature, btw? Seems kind of unrelated. :shrug:

And More fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 31, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SIGSEGV posted:

TVTropes pages are driven by obsession, and for whatever reason there aren't that many editors on that site who are obsessed with literary classics. That in itself is an interesting topic for discussion, but I think we should curtail this derailment since mocking TVTropes is a pretty dead horse.

As for the discussion questions: 1. I didn't notice the change in directorial style, I'm not very good at noticing that sort of thing in TV and movies. 2. I think there's some acknowledgement of evil existing as some sort of force if you're going to create a secret society.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Someone asked earlier if Psychiatrists were ever potrayed well in movies: There are two therapists who are actually listening and taking what they are being told into consideration:

1) Stranger than Fiction. When Will Ferrell goes to a therapist due to hearing a voice narrating his life, of course she diagnoses him as schizophrenic. However she also, I guess, sees the use in trying not to antagonise her patients like an idiot, because when he begs her for an option other than prescribed medication she suggests sending him to someone who knows about literature - primary character in the story Professor Hilbert, who is immeasurably helpful throughout the movie. If Hilbert's final answer had been "Your crazy dude..." he may have returned to her for the medication in hope that it would help. However, Hilbert recognises that a voice in his head seems to know more than he himself does, and therefore is likely a third party.

2) Stepford Wives (Original): The main character goes to see a therapist after noticing a weird behavioural pattern in Stepford where the woman, after living there for a month, change completely, going from confident, outgoing women to perfect stay-at-home wives with no hobbies or ambitions of their own. The therapist makes a follow up appointment with the main character for the next week, but on hearing that she has been there for 3 weeks already and "may not be [her] next week" she reschedules the appointment for the next day. Well done therapist! If she had stuck to her guns and kept it a week, for all she knew this woman could have harmed herself or someone else if she was that paranoid. She listened and adapted to her 'illness'

Two good therapists. :)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

So far one of my favourite things about Twin Peaks is how Harry is really supportive and willing to go along with Cooper's weird stuff. Lots of other shows have the detective-with-a-gimmick get doubted and disbelieved by the regular cops for a while until they finally prove themself. Here, Harry is completely down with the bottle-throwing divination (once it gets partly explained, anyway), and when he hears that Cooper doesn't actually remember the name from the dream, he's just disappointed that it didn't solve anything. There's no grumbling about Cooper wasting his time, or waking him up in the middle of the night for nothing, just "oh darn, no shortcut, but I guess we should try to crack your dream code while following other leads"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Perhaps, watching you Dark Soulsr 1-hit boss run, the C stands for Cidney Ctones?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hi. Been going through some stuff recently so updates have slowed a bit, and they will continue to be slow until I sort myself out. But I will not stop. I can't. Now forget about all that, and let's rock out!

And one for the standee.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 6, 2017

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Hey, me too, sort of. Health problems can do that. I actually had to spend several days in hospital recently due to a mystery case of hyponatremia. And it is a mystery; I'm too young and generally healthy to fit the profile of someone you might expect to get a random case of hyponatremia out of nowhere, so they're describing it as probably an "idiopathic" case... which is basically a highfalutin way for a team of doctors to go :shrug:

So that's concerning. And that's the thing; it's not good for one's general mental state, especially if you're already prone to depression/anxiety/whatever else. I hope you're able to see (say) a psychologist about these things. It does help. If it doesn't help, hey, sometimes a particular psychologist's approach doesn't work for you; it's not the end of the world, it just means you need to try someone else.

Anyway, the rock concert really is the high point of Alan Wake. I love this part of the game. I can really only reiterate what you guys said in the video, but the slow, foreboding build-up - followed by the hilarious, awesome catharsis of the concert light and sound show to break the tension - is just perfect.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Shadow Thermy's dialog:

Drink responsibly. Drinking TOO MUCH Coffee at once may give you BAD POOPS!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
They really missed an opportunity by not having you fight possessed trophies.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

White Coke posted:

They really missed an opportunity by not having you fight possessed trophies.

I feel like that's one of the main issues with this game. You mostly fight dudes and crows, and sometimes steel beams fly in your face. When something big like an excavator actually gets possessed, it barely even does anything. Gameplay-wise, this could be really exciting, but it's just the same fight under slightly different circumstances every time.

I want my dinosaur fight goddamn it. :argh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

Shadow Thermy's dialog:

Drink responsibly. Drinking TOO MUCH Coffee at once may give you BAD POOPS!

Interesting thing about coffee (from the Sawbones podcast). Nobody knows why coffee does that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This part really should have returned as one of the score attack levels in American Nightmare

And More posted:

I feel like that's one of the main issues with this game. You mostly fight dudes and crows, and sometimes steel beams fly in your face. When something big like an excavator actually gets possessed, it barely even does anything. Gameplay-wise, this could be really exciting, but it's just the same fight under slightly different circumstances every time.

I want my dinosaur fight goddamn it. :argh:

Well in addition to the just-seen best moment of the game there is another one coming up (unless I'm massively confusing my levels). It's not as good as it could have been in my head and was already done once before in a somewhat lacklustre fashion but it's at least a classic piece of Stephen King and a generally classic horror moment.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There are spots where Alan can make it down to Barry, but the game will still kill you soon after for trying.

Back at the area when you were disarmed, if you run at large movable objects like mine carts, Alan will push them with such force that it sounds like a small explosion. Of course, he is barely moving them, but it sounds like he has Hulk powers.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 7, 2017

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

All these animate backhoes and bulldozers are giving me shades of Maximum Overdrive. Alan Awake pays homage to the masters.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 7, 2017

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Back at the area when you were disarmed, if you run at large movable objects like mine carts, Alan will push them with such force that it sounds like a small explosion. Of course, he is barely moving them, but it sounds like he has Hulk powers.

Alan probably wrote that "the mine crarts exploded in a rondeau of antiquated mechanization" and whatever force made his manuscript real just couldn't understand that passage.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So everybody loves this part of the game for the stage fight, which is awesome. However, I also think this is the best written part of the game from the meta-narrative standpoint. Now, that's a really wanky term, but it's an important one in Alan Wake.

Whenever I explain this game to someone, I always tell them Alan Wake is about two authors arguing over what the genre of the story is going to be. There's a lot going on during the time Alan is actually writing the story, and you get bits of it from the television flashbacks, but a lot of it you only really get if you watch how the story unfolds.

Basically the game starts off straight horror. You're powerless, hunted by shadowy figures you don't understand, with no idea what's going on or why. Even if it made sense in the plot, something like that fight on the stage wouldn't have fit in the earlier parts of the game just because it would have been such a shift in tone.

But as was pointed out in the last television bit, Alan decided to steadily push the genre out of horror and towards action, where the darkness could be defeated. In the last couple chapters, he discovered the actual enemy was this 'dark presence' all along, talked to the Old Gods who gave him a goal for how he might learn how to beat it, and killed off the distractions so the plot could focus entirely on the main villain.

What I really like about that though, is that this shift coincided with his second dunk in the lake. The story really started the first time he jumped into the lake to try and save Alice. Then the shift away from horror and towards action started after he fell into the lake again, but this second time he was carrying a flare. (which a story page noted could burn underwater)

Anyway, I always thought that was a really neat angle in the game that's never really directly touched on.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Gothsheep posted:

So everybody loves this part of the game for the stage fight, which is awesome. However, I also think this is the best written part of the game from the meta-narrative standpoint. Now, that's a really wanky term, but it's an important one in Alan Wake.

Whenever I explain this game to someone, I always tell them Alan Wake is about two authors arguing over what the genre of the story is going to be. There's a lot going on during the time Alan is actually writing the story, and you get bits of it from the television flashbacks, but a lot of it you only really get if you watch how the story unfolds.

Basically the game starts off straight horror. You're powerless, hunted by shadowy figures you don't understand, with no idea what's going on or why. Even if it made sense in the plot, something like that fight on the stage wouldn't have fit in the earlier parts of the game just because it would have been such a shift in tone.

But as was pointed out in the last television bit, Alan decided to steadily push the genre out of horror and towards action, where the darkness could be defeated. In the last couple chapters, he discovered the actual enemy was this 'dark presence' all along, talked to the Old Gods who gave him a goal for how he might learn how to beat it, and killed off the distractions so the plot could focus entirely on the main villain.

What I really like about that though, is that this shift coincided with his second dunk in the lake. The story really started the first time he jumped into the lake to try and save Alice. Then the shift away from horror and towards action started after he fell into the lake again, but this second time he was carrying a flare. (which a story page noted could burn underwater)

Anyway, I always thought that was a really neat angle in the game that's never really directly touched on.

Huh, I hadn't picked up on that but that's a really good read on the plot so far, man.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you want a clean version of the song from the stage battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1k1tgq87g

Poets of the Fall is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gothsheep posted:

I wonder how much effect Alan had in defining the Dark Presence in addition to empowering it. It needs to work through people, whether it's by possessing people or more abstractly by making Alan's story come true, so maybe Alan or someone else could be beat it by recreating that episode of Futurama where Fry beat the Brainspawn by trapping them in a prison of "plot holes and spelling errors".

• Locked thread