Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Do you just forget the part where Tim Schafer literally scammed people out of money and continues, to this day, to sell the scam as a finished product? On their Steam page? Right now? With no legal repercussions?

i think thats good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Parts of that Project Phoenix update sound weirdly passive aggressive for something that basically says "whelp we hosed up".

This, especially:

quote:

So our development budget is a still pretty impressive 0.55M USD. That is about enough to hire 5 full time AAA developers for almost 12 months. Ok I will drop the sarcasm, we all know 0.55M USD is not a significant budget for developing a game like Project Phoenix.

Come on, dawg. All devs mess up a lot, let alone on Kickstarter, but maybe sarcasm is the last tool you should be reaching for when writing about how your game is probably not happening anymore, almost a million dollars later.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I just looked at some of the previous PP updates out of curiosity and lmao at so many of them being some variation of "we are tying to hire a programmer" and this is 2.5 years after the kickstarter ended. Also, a lot of the updates are written in such a passive aggressive manner that it makes me think there's some type of language barrier going on or they're just delusional to the idea that the thing they did is essentially a critical failure at this point.

^^^^^^^^
yeah, stuff like that is what I'm talking about. The same update even mentions the various processing fees from kickstarter, paypal, etc. like that's the difference between PP being a success or not.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 24, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Maybe don't make games to be played on digital systems without programmers being part of the core team.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Maybe don't make games to be played on digital systems without programmers being part of the core team.

Right, but the nice thing about artists is that they can make concept art drawing and animated pixel art, which you can post in your Kickstarter update as proof that you are making progress*.

*progess at making a bunch of concept and pixel art without an actual game

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I had a rant here about Project Phoenix before realizing there were two different obviously doomed kickstarters named Project Phoenix.

Maybe don't make your project after something that's on fire, it makes the metaphors too obvious.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah but what about the whole rising from the ashes part.

stoic665
Nov 8, 2009

Do you just forget the part where Tim Schafer literally scammed people out of money and continues, to this day, to sell the scam as a finished product? On their Steam page? Right now? With no legal repercussions?

While I sympathise with the people that bought the game when it was in early access, selling a bad game (even a really bad one) isn't a scam. Anyone that is thinking of buying the game today can read reviews of it and make an informed decision.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Post-kickstarter donations are usually more of a match than a conflagration, sadly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i want to be a video game satan powerful enough to get someone to froth with rage at the mention of my name

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

multijoe posted:

Jesus Christ, the lead dev put $500k of his own cash into Project Phoenix. He's probably gonna kill himself when it finally folds.

:gonk:

I just can't feel schadenfreude over stories like this. This isn't like that million dollar furry patreon that ended with everyone loaded but miserable, or that Gender Bender Twister Extreme game where the entire creative team backstabbed each other.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i want to be a video game satan powerful enough to get someone to froth with rage at the mention of my name

Just make a video on Youtube about video game women.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A noble goal to aspire to. I wish you well on your quest.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
But how do you start planning for a game without making sure you have someone to actually program the game?

And further, how do you with your Kickstarter that vastly exceeded your asking price not succeed in hiring a programmer, any programmer, for multiple years?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

stoic665 posted:

While I sympathise with the people that bought the game when it was in early access, selling a bad game (even a really bad one) isn't a scam. Anyone that is thinking of buying the game today can read reviews of it and make an informed decision.

I bought both of the early access Double Fine games (yes, I am a sucker) and I'm honestly more mad about Hack n Slash. Such an interesting concept absolutely squandered with really lovely overall design. Spacebase was never ever going to amount to anything.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

And further, how do you with your Kickstarter that vastly exceeded your asking price not succeed in hiring a programmer, any programmer, for multiple years?

It's like the thing that happens with lottery winners where they always end up broke. Also, Project Phoenix has a poo poo ton of people listed on their Kickstarter page. I bet they started fighting about the money almost immediately.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

mycot posted:

or that Gender Bender Twister Extreme game where the entire creative team backstabbed each other.

Wait, those people backstabbed each other? I hadn't heard that before.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I had a rant here about Project Phoenix before realizing there were two different obviously doomed kickstarters named Project Phoenix.

Maybe don't make your project after something that's on fire, it makes the metaphors too obvious.

What about Phoenix Point, is it doomed as well?

Foglet fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 25, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

senrath posted:

Wait, those people backstabbed each other? I hadn't heard that before.

It got loosely described at the Awful Steam Games thread, but I think the timeline of it is that the first artist left the writer, the writer went through a series of commissioned artists for the sequels (yes plural) before hitting a dead end.

END ME SCOOB posted:

It is one of the most bafflingly bad games I have ever played in a way that's hard to explain without sounding like a lunatic. It was made by two, maybe three people, and the only sane one was the artist, who took his paycheck, did his work, got the gently caress out of dodge, and went to art school so he could actually get real work. As a result, the writer begins making GBS threads on the dude at every opportunity in the final chunks of the game.

The writer continues to work in the fetish mines, just hosed up a kickstarter for a third such game, and is a few thousand in debt now because he apparently paid the new artist up front before the campaign failed and now has to make a game on $0 to make anything back.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

mycot posted:

It got loosely described at the Awful Steam Games thread, but I think the timeline of it is that the first artist left the writer, the writer went through a series of commissioned artists for the sequels (yes plural) before hitting a dead end.

To flesh out: the GBDNA artist was clearly hired to do X pieces for Y characters, did such (he was doing most of the public updates, so he'd be going "Art's done for the next 3 routes!" and showing off some of the spritework), and effectively "quit" when he was done with a "Well, all the assets are together, now it's just on the writing team! See you guys later!" and info dried up between patched-in storylines. The artist vanished from the internet for a year or two after this to go to art school, and seems to be the well-adjusted member of the team, putting a once-in-a-lifetime windfall to use in making his dream come true.

The writer, presuming that he was the true genius behind everything, went on to try and bankroll a second game (Max's Big Bust), hired on a new artist*, and got someone to make I don't know how many anime cutscenes for the game as well. It made a lot less than the first one in crowdfunding but still crossed the finish line, and before he had even finished development on MBB, which sold atrociously, he kickstarted a third title (which was to be some sort of weird RPG now rather than just a straight visual novel) and pre-paid the artist for assets.

The third crowdfunding campaign ate poo poo, leaving him a few grand in debt and grousing about his fans, swearing MBB would never have a sequel because it sold so poorly, and now basically forced into making this new game in his free time while working some sort of low-end job to pay the bills. I will wager that it sells four-digit units tops because the dude hates putting his stuff on sale, and because the comments on MBB were making GBS threads on him by the final patch releases.

* For the record, I feel the second artist is not much better but a much worse colorist, the stuff in MBB looks like photoshop filter disasters to me.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmm I guess the Phoenix Point Fig campaign is actually up now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Phoenix Point fig is up:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point?media_id=607#about

e:f, b

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They said in the comments they will explore options to back via paypal since a lot of you nerds get your panties in a bunch over Schafer.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Looks like the Dark Souls board game street date was a few days ago, and retail stores are getting it soon.

Anyone not want their pledge? I kinda want to get it without getting gouged by the assholes on ebay.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah but what about the whole rising from the ashes part.

They're concentrating on solid and consistent ash generation first.

Skoll posted:

They said in the comments they will explore options to back via paypal since a lot of you nerds get your panties in a bunch over Schafer.

I'm just not giving him any more money. gently caress him.

Now tell me why my opinion is wrong.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hav posted:

You would literally not be giving Tim Schafer any money by backing an unrelated project on Fig, HTH.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Guy, I honestly don't care. You're the one getting super combative that people would dare give Julian Gollop money for an XCOM successor that sounds like a mix of Event Horizon and Silent Hill.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skoll posted:

Guy, I honestly don't care. You're the one getting super combative that people would dare give Julian Gollop money for an XCOM successor that sounds like a mix of Event Horizon and Silent Hill.
Is that good or bad? I think this kickstarter looks neat, but I know XCOM clones have had a questionable track record.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skyscraper posted:

Is that good or bad? I think this kickstarter looks neat, but I know XCOM clones have had a questionable track record.

I think an XCOM clone is more likely to be good when it's made by the guy who made XCOM, though.

Not wild on the FIG exclusive items they've got.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

Julian Gollop was able to make a reasonably fun and playable XCOM clone on the frigging GBA. He's probably at least earned some benefit of the doubt.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I absolutely loved the concept behind Phoenix Point back when it was first announced last year, and the concept art evokes good things. That said, the "gameplay footage" in the trailer feels a bit meh compared to that.

This being Gollop and him already having put out Chaos Reborn through Kickstarter I have no doubt he'll put out an ok game at minimum, but still I'm probably not contributing if it seems to make the goal without me. The last time kickstarted a game based on cool sounding concept it was The Mandate and... well.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ImpAtom posted:

Julian Gollop was able to make a reasonably fun and playable XCOM clone on the frigging GBA. He's probably at least earned some benefit of the doubt.

Chairchucker posted:

I think an XCOM clone is more likely to be good when it's made by the guy who made XCOM, though.

Not wild on the FIG exclusive items they've got.
That seems reasonable. Also, yeah, the exclusive items aren't even FIG exclusive, they're collector's edition FIG exclusive, which means that (I'd guess) 90% of the playerbase won't even be seeing them. Always a good idea.

(I backed it)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

No, that's all you, I simply said that I wasn't going to give Schafer any more money. You may be mistaking me for someone else.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
To quickly touch on the hot potato subject - it's super Ok to consider someone a scam and warn others about your concern. It's a whole other thing when you constantly suggest that by supporting them you're either brain dead or enabling evil. But the point is this topic's been brought up enough that probably 99% of the people visiting this thread have long made up their minds and will probably not change them anytime soon.

I've been responsible of making GBS threads up this thread enough (way too many) times to now just roll my eyes both at whoever brings it up and past me. Stop it, it's pointless, and it's only pointless because it's been discussed to death and back from the afterlife and back to death again. It's not like Kickstarter isn't generating enough discussion-worthy current drama to go around.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Underhill posted:

To quickly touch on the hot potato subject - it's super Ok to consider someone a scam and warn others about your concern. It's a whole other thing when you constantly suggest that by supporting them you're either brain dead or enabling evil. But the point is this topic's been brought up enough that probably 99% of the people visiting this thread have long made up their minds and will probably not change them anytime soon.

I've been responsible of making GBS threads up this thread enough (way too many) times to now just roll my eyes both at whoever brings it up and past me. Stop it, it's pointless, and it's only pointless because it's been discussed to death and back from the afterlife and back to death again. It's not like Kickstarter isn't generating enough discussion-worthy current drama to go around.

This is a good post. I didn't mean to kick an anthill by bringing up Fig but I figured the KS thread would be as good as any to bring up Phoenix Point because it sounds awesome. Like you said, the people here have probably long since made up their minds on what they're going to purchase and from where.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Well looks like they got rid of all the Fig Club exclusive stuff, and it's already 40% funded in one day! Fears settled.

Now to figure out how much can I afford to give the man that basically made me The OpenXcom Guy without filing for bankruptcy. :ohdear:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Wait, wait... Jonas Kyratzes is working on the story for Phoenix Point? Well, drat, that makes me interested... but when oh when is he ever going to finish The Council of Crows?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

SupSuper posted:

Well looks like they got rid of all the Fig Club exclusive stuff

Still seems to be showing up :confused:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SupSuper posted:

Well looks like they got rid of all the Fig Club exclusive stuff, and it's already 40% funded in one day! Fears settled.

Now to figure out how much can I afford to give the man that basically made me The OpenXcom Guy without filing for bankruptcy. :ohdear:

yeah but wheres openTFTD HUH SUPSUPER WHERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

kinkouin posted:

Looks like the Dark Souls board game street date was a few days ago, and retail stores are getting it soon.

Anyone not want their pledge? I kinda want to get it without getting gouged by the assholes on ebay.

Dunno about preview copies or kickstarter deliveries, but when I checked my one of my distributor's info for it earlier today it said the street date was 5/25.