Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I also still don't understand what triggers those cutscene combo attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Am I the only one having trouble with this video? I keep checking other youtube videos and I'm getting fine connection speeds on those but every time I change back to this one, youtube says I'm pulling about 600 Kbps.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unlimited power and he turns you into a pumpkin. That's just insulting.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The real problem with the Blindside mechanic is that its a dodge move that requires a charge time up front. And it isn't a short charge either, its a good 2 or 3 seconds of sitting there. And if the entire concept of a dodge button that takes 3 seconds to use wasn't bad enough, if you charge too long, you lose it, so you can't just keep it charged until something dodgeable comes your way to actually make a Blindside work.

There isn't a single element of the Blindside mechanic that is fun or intuitive to use, and half the time a successful trigger will still fail because it gives you no invincibility frames and every character has a unique, overly complicated animation for it that can just place you right back in front of your enemy's attack, since a lot of enemies have moves that hit a wide area or do a bunch of little splash hits. It's so poorly implemented and thought out that I am honestly amazed by it. I couldn't design a worse dodge/counterattack mechanic in such an unusual way if I'd tried.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

They probably looked back at Star Ocean 3's Side Kick, saw that it was far too simple, overpowered, and fun; then tried and succeeded to do the exact opposite.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
With all the references to the 'Tales of' series that wateyad has made in the videos, and various posters have made in the thread... well, let's just say I'm kind of jonesing for a good jRPG right now. Currently only have PC; of the three that seem to have been ported (Symphonia, Zestiria, Berseria) which would y'all recommend?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Take 10,000 steps away from Zestiria. The other two are good, though Symphonia is notably dated.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

With all the references to the 'Tales of' series that wateyad has made in the videos, and various posters have made in the thread... well, let's just say I'm kind of jonesing for a good jRPG right now. Currently only have PC; of the three that seem to have been ported (Symphonia, Zestiria, Berseria) which would y'all recommend?

Have you considered Nier Automata?

It's an action JRPG, and it's the good stuff. Steam port can be a bit wonky without fan patches, though.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I'm biased because i cant stand that all the games before it had 2d style combat controls despite being 3d games but Berseria is legit super good and fun.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

gnome7 posted:

The real problem with the Blindside mechanic is that its a dodge move that requires a charge time up front. And it isn't a short charge either, its a good 2 or 3 seconds of sitting there. And if the entire concept of a dodge button that takes 3 seconds to use wasn't bad enough, if you charge too long, you lose it, so you can't just keep it charged until something dodgeable comes your way to actually make a Blindside work.

There isn't a single element of the Blindside mechanic that is fun or intuitive to use, and half the time a successful trigger will still fail because it gives you no invincibility frames and every character has a unique, overly complicated animation for it that can just place you right back in front of your enemy's attack, since a lot of enemies have moves that hit a wide area or do a bunch of little splash hits. It's so poorly implemented and thought out that I am honestly amazed by it. I couldn't design a worse dodge/counterattack mechanic in such an unusual way if I'd tried.

Blindside is too good to just be instant, they'd have to tone the effects down if it was in which case they might as well just throw it out. Like I'm not saying it's a great mechanic but it needs limiting if it exists as it is.

I don't think you can actually be hit by the enemy you're blindsiding if it succeeds, it should stun them for a couple of seconds.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
You actually can be hit during blindside. Remember the targeting ring? When it's yellow you're fine. When it's red (usually when the enemy is in rush mode), you can be countered. Higher level beat S lets you counter the counter, but it's not really worth it.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Ghost of Starman posted:

Definitely Berseria.

Polsy posted:

Blindside is too good to just be instant, they'd have to tone the effects down if it was in which case they might as well just throw it out. Like I'm not saying it's a great mechanic but it needs limiting if it exists as it is.

I don't think you can actually be hit by the enemy you're blindsiding if it succeeds, it should stun them for a couple of seconds.

You can definitely be hit out of blindside animations by the enemy you're trying to blindside without it even being what the game thinks of as a blindside counter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Of those three, Berseria is the good one.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Melomane Mallet posted:

You actually can be hit during blindside. Remember the targeting ring? When it's yellow you're fine. When it's red (usually when the enemy is in rush mode), you can be countered. Higher level beat S lets you counter the counter, but it's not really worth it.

Yeah, I mean if you don't get countered. But yeah, by the time I got counter-counter I'd mostly stopped bothering with blindsides anyway. I'll never get the 'do 1000 blindsides' battle trophies.

wateyad posted:

You can definitely be hit out of blindside animations by the enemy you're trying to blindside without it even being what the game thinks of as a blindside counter.

Alright, weird. I guess I don't remember.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Either:

(a) Blindside should have just been a button tap but been designed to extra emphasise needing to be timed so you don't get hit out of it. Make the animations all brush dangerously close to the enemy and have you take double damage if you get hit out of it or something.

or

(b) The dodge should have invincibility frames and Blindside should be a Witch Time esque reward for timing your dodge perfectly and be fully invincible. In this case the animations should probably be a lot shorter too. (So basically it should just be a more powerful version of Jude's gimmick from the Tales of Xillias)

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
Some of the Beat: S bonuses you get for leveling that system up are supposed to make it easier to use, but because of how bulky the system is to begin with it's more "enabling you to blindside at all". Overall bonuses are:

Level 1: Increased damage to Blindsided enemies.
Level 5: Chain Combo entry during Blindsides.
Level 9: Double Blindsides enabled (avoids counters).
Level 13: Blindside charging enabled while attacking.
Level 17: Freeze nearby enemies when Blindsiding.
Level 20: "No Guard" status while Blindside charging.

The first 2 are practically just more damage. the third makes it safer to blindside red-reticle enemies but it takes a few tries to get used to. Blindside charge while attacking cuts about half the charge time off but only works with basic attack strings. The last 2 skills finally make it safer to blindside things, because enemies continue to move very slowly while blindsiding but freezing them ACTUALLY stops this. No Guard means that you don't get interrupted if you take less than 10% if your health in a single strike.

Sadly, the skills that make you able to blindside more safely come at the end of the beat levels. In a game where you can reach the final boss and still not hit maximum Beat ranks in a single Beat type. And small reminder, computer AI doesn't use blindsides so all these bonuses go to waste on them.

In addition, none of this helps you with certain enemies that just get massive hitboxes when they attack, so you get damaged during your fancy movements. Thanks to this, Myuria Arumat and Meracle end up the best blindsiders because the (non-Whats-his-face) space elf blindsides involve teleporting and Meracle's blindside doesn't have a hitbox while she's moving. Because in Star Ocean land, a character's ability to utilize a game mechanic gets dictated based on how much effort the graphics department decided to put into them.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Runic Edge posted:

Because in Star Ocean land, a character's ability to utilize a game mechanic gets dictated based on how much effort the graphics department decided to put into them.

Wasn't this a thing in one of the Final Fantasies? Not to the same extreme but I'm pretty sure in either XII or XIII the best party is the one made up of characters with the quickest attack animations.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Hel posted:

Wasn't this a thing in one of the Final Fantasies? Not to the same extreme but I'm pretty sure in either XII or XIII the best party is the one made up of characters with the quickest attack animations.

It's literally true in XIII. XII had a thing where you didn't want to equip characters with the signature weapons because they had fancier (and thus longer) animations though. Oh and X-2 and XII both had a thing where the engine could only handle one animation with fancy effects at a time so basic attacks could just kind of happen whenever but spells had to queue up.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
It wasn't very reliable online, due to latency, but Phantasy Star Online had such weirdly precise hitboxes that you could dodge some attacks by adjusting your facing so that your character leaned slightly out of the way. That game had way more niche tech than what was essentially Diablo In Anime Space warranted.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jeedy Jay posted:

It wasn't very reliable online, due to latency, but Phantasy Star Online had such weirdly precise hitboxes that you could dodge some attacks by adjusting your facing so that your character leaned slightly out of the way. That game had way more niche tech than what was essentially Diablo In Anime Space warranted.

Sounds very "Bullet Hell" - manipulate hitboxes to never get hit, or die trying.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Runic Edge posted:

Beat S is bad

In comparison, Beat B:
Rank 1:Increased critical hit chance during Rush Mode
Rank 5: Rush Gauge increase rate up
Rank 9: MP cost -25% during Rush Mode
Rank 13: Rush Gauge decrease rate down
Rank 17: Damage -5% during Rush Mode
Rank 20: Rush Gauge increases during Rush Mode

The last one being the key; you can facetank the boss with No Guard, spam Diabolic Edge till you run out of MP and your rush gauge will never drop below 80%. It's really kind of hilarious how useless blindsides end up being. And Arumat joins with something like 14 ranks in Beat B (IIRC), so you're not really falling behind on him with that score either.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 97: It's Been A Long Road

Part 1: How Is Prime Directive Formed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-KlX0XSadM

Part 2: THE END
http://dai.ly/k6dP8aAzXmwDAqmLWZy

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
Congrats you mad bastards. It's been a long drat year but You. Did. It.

Now go play a good game to wash this out of your brains.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
There's an ending for every character, if you finish with all of them unlocked up there's an additional final scene at the end that brings it to a perfect close. Good job and thank you guys,

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

There's an ending for every character, if you finish with all of them unlocked up there's an additional final scene at the end that brings it to a perfect close. Good job and thank you guys,

Thanks for LP guys. Just watched those extra endings no one died, figures.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That was bad. Please look after yourselves.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
After this a really hope you like the game we picked for you to do next, or I'll feel kinda bad about it :P

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Thanks for another playthrough of an awful game. You guys are the best and I love your stuff. Also ready for the game with the world's best boss theme.

I am glad the last real cutscene is of the entire concept of space travel being dismantled because Edge wants it to. Very fitting for this game.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Wow, Edge is a goddamn hypocrite, he tells everyone to isolate their civilizations(do note that the humans are free to do whatever& it's noted that they do keep Eldarian tech) but then he promises SamRaimi that they'll meet up with the party, meaning he'll intend to break the isolation pact.

We'll at least it's over hopefully the next game will be less bad for you.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad Arumat's response to his people losing all their technology is going "gently caress this, i'm out".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should probably kill Wet Maverick before they all die of the space smallpox they'd already started dispersing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite cutscene was when the horrible fat moron died on the moon.

He got his wish though, and got his steak well done.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The entire philosophy is completely nonsensical as most evolution happens due to external factors. Sharks and crocodiles barely changed due to already being pretty good at what they do, but everything else had to adapt. The planet heats up, generations better at surviving warm climates (short/no hair, etc) are more likely to survive. All aliens visiting are, are one of those factors. We get hostile "predators" who use rayguns, the people who invent the best anti-raygun stuff will thrive and then sell it to everyone else.

Also, people getting tech from outside their community already has happened for thousands of years. One country invents the transistor for example, other countries get their hands on this new tech and play with it. Under Edge's logic, every country on Earth needs to reinvent the wheel every time something new comes along or they didn't earn it. We can't just buy transistors from Japan anymore guys, we all need to build our own consoles from scratch now! No shortcuts, no using tech that has already been invented!

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
Congratulations, you survived this trainwreck of a game and even managed to establish the UP3, the backbone of the series that is continually broken.

Someone said something about the moral of the game at some point. For my take, I think the game was kinda trying to show Edge as the hero of measured restraint who learned his lessons and tried his best but backed off when he couldn't win, vs. Faize trying to save everything a la the expected jRPG protagonist and how it all went direly wrong for him. We'll never truly know, as the writing intent behind Planet Ocean 4 is a shrouded enigma of soulless motions through its story.

One thing that always comes to mind when I look back on this game is how absolutely stilted the crafting system is. Star Ocean 2 has a wide, early-accessed, modular system that grows through guesswork and exploration and rewards both master and perseverance. 4, meanwhile, gates crafts behind characters you are getting as late as 2/3 through the game as well as giving you recipes with material requirements you cannot obtain in any feasible fashion until slightly after those recipes would be useful AND it forces you to be in your ship to do crafting (as opposed to 2, where you could craft where ever you liked). So what ends up happening is aside from some niche smiths/fusions, crafting ends up being a system you skip until POSTGAME. The sole exception here is cooking, which is extremely useful, open early, and the least gated by materials. Cooking and its bulk of recipes/effects is one of the exceedingly few good executions of an idea in this game.

Speaking of recipes, remember that girl in EN II that gave you a Funeral Bouquet? After you enter the final dungeon, you can backtrack to find Personal Event locations all throughout the game locations. You can choose to spend a Funeral Bouquet at any given location to get a special dialogue scene with a party member and increase their affection slightly. You can do this multiple times at each location, so if you're willing to grind the ultra-rare rose for the recipe to make extra you can grind everyone's affection up enough to get every ending. Except Reimi's ending because that one requires you see certain scenes and make extremely exact decisions in them. And Faize's ending because he doesn't have a Funeral Point.

In closing, this game sucks. Bury it and never look back. Prepare Yourself. Diabolic Edge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Congratulations on surviving your playthrough of Star Ocean 4 featuring protagonist Edge Maverick!

I look forward to watching your next Let's Play as humanity continues moving along in the great star ocean!

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
Yeah, I kinda figured they were doing that old "evolution = species experience level" thing. It's the only definition that they could have been using, considering the inane pre-final-boss-fight debate. Sci-fi is never going to stop going back to that stupid well.

EDIT: I really wish this game was about Lightspeed Kenny.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 4, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In that metaphor, just say outside tech is a rare candy. Still gets you there, just slightly lower stats although not enough to matter :P.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Runic Edge posted:

And Faize's ending because he doesn't have a Funeral Point.

The irony is not lost on me.

I can't believe that me, die hard Star Ocean apologist could say nothing in favor of this.

Except Prepare Yourself, Diabolic Edge.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

What, I didn't even know you could get multiple endings at once, I reloaded my postgame save 6 times and used a bunch of affection items on whoever.

Runic Edge posted:

One thing that always comes to mind when I look back on this game is how absolutely stilted the crafting system is. Star Ocean 2 has a wide, early-accessed, modular system that grows through guesswork and exploration and rewards both master and perseverance. 4, meanwhile, gates crafts behind characters you are getting as late as 2/3 through the game as well as giving you recipes with material requirements you cannot obtain in any feasible fashion until slightly after those recipes would be useful AND it forces you to be in your ship to do crafting (as opposed to 2, where you could craft where ever you liked). So what ends up happening is aside from some niche smiths/fusions, crafting ends up being a system you skip until POSTGAME. The sole exception here is cooking, which is extremely useful, open early, and the least gated by materials. Cooking and its bulk of recipes/effects is one of the exceedingly few good executions of an idea in this game.

I like the crafting in this game more than 2 or 3, and here's why: you put in the listed items, and you get the expected item out. I mean yeah I barely touched it until postgame, but I barely touched it in 3 until postgame either, it's not like you need it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

In that metaphor, just say outside tech is a rare candy. Still gets you there, just slightly lower stats although not enough to matter :P.

I'd say it's like power-levelling, either with assistance from a higher-level player or by exploiting an item you aren't supposed to have, yet. Either way, the result is just a high-level player who who didn't know the struggles of being low-level, as opposed to a high-level player who has forgotten the struggles of being low-level.

What I'm saying is that Edge Wet's false dichotomy doesn't hold water, and it's only there because this by-the-numbers Trope Festival wasn't going to be complete without also checking off the "hero says 'but then we'd be NO DIFFERENT FROM THE DEMONS!!':v:" box.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 4, 2017

• Locked thread