Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's not true. I hated Volume 2.

I hated Man of Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
GotG 2 was fun as gently caress.

Man of Steel isn't original enough to "steal" anything from, sorry.

Wonder Woman is going to flop because it looks boring as poo poo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dragonshirt posted:

It's pretty obvious artistic influence. GotG 2's central plot points involve an extended homage to MoS. There's even a mountain of skulls in reference to the apocalyptic vision in MoS.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gunn and Snyder are buddies, yo. Gunn even got to see the Justice League trailer long before the public did.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's pretty obvious artistic influence. GotG 2's central plot points involve an extended homage to MoS. There's even a mountain of skulls in reference to the apocalyptic vision in MoS.

The plastic style of the visual inside a plastic egg thing is reminiscent of the MOS metallic dioramas, and it's good in both.

A cave full of skeletons is too generic a visual and is not presented in a similar fashion to MOS' skull quicksand.

There are obviously other areas where you can make an argument for similarities, but the movie isn't ripping off MOS more than any movie rips off visuals from other films that the director likes. I don't think you can even make a solid argument that MOS is the main visual origin of "theft". Which is a weak as poo poo phrasing to choose.

We get it, Guardians vol 1 and 2 is your Thanos, Nebula, you don't have to strain so hard to yell it every post.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gyges posted:

We get it, Guardians vol 1 and 2 is your Thanos, Nebula, you don't have to strain so hard to yell it every post.

:chloe:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does anyone here follow the Justice League comics? I grew up on the DCAU and stuff. Plus I've always just heard Green Lanterns are supposed to be some of the top guys on Earth, part of the "Big 7" of the League.

Is there any reason why there's no GL in the new movie? Is it because of that poo poo movie a few years ago? I hope not.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Ritchie wants to direct Suicide Squad 2 but unfortunately has other commitments. That sucks.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anyone here follow the Justice League comics? I grew up on the DCAU and stuff. Plus I've always just heard Green Lanterns are supposed to be some of the top guys on Earth, part of the "Big 7" of the League.

Is there any reason why there's no GL in the new movie? Is it because of that poo poo movie a few years ago? I hope not.

It is entirely because of that poo poo movie a few years ago. It was supposed to kick off the DCCU, but the release resulted in them scrapping that idea and instead using MOS as their cornerstone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyges posted:

It is entirely because of that poo poo movie a few years ago. It was supposed to kick off the DCCU, but the release resulted in them scrapping that idea and instead using MOS as their cornerstone.

Thank god for that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dragonshirt posted:

hahaha wow

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here it comes!!!!!!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Here it comes!!!!!!

huh?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm guessing Wonder Woman will do pretty well and critics will praise it for being so different from MoS and BvS, while it won't actually be very different from them at all. Also that it will be cool, good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wonder Woman will do well but not as well as [insert movie here] so we'll have pages of arguments over whether it flopped or not.

Edit: apparently the estimated budget is $120m which is really low considering that even Suicide Squad was $175m, but that number hasn't been confirmed yet

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dragonshirt posted:

I liked the look of the trailer. The Amazon stuff in particular, the tone of it felt right.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wonder Woman will do well but not as well as [insert movie here] so we'll have pages of arguments over whether it flopped or not.

Edit: apparently the estimated budget is $120m which is really low considering that even Suicide Squad was $175m, but that number hasn't been confirmed yet

The eternal argument will be complicated by the blowback against the perceived lack of advertising making estimates for advertising cost to be thrown out the window. Which effects the "cost" and thus the floppability.

Plus we'll get to argue about feminism at the same time. It'll be so exciting.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man I really hope WW does well enough that we don't have to have those dumb arguments but then again we did with movies that made 900 and 800 million dollars respectively so I guess it will have to do like a billion.2 or .3 and I don't see that happening

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Let's be honest, those conversations will happen even if it earns twenty billion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Man of Steel already made back its money and started turning a profit six months before it was released therefore it is a Bad Movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

Man of Steel already made back its money and started turning a profit six months before it was released therefore it is a Bad Movie.

Yeah, but ticket sales shows how many people go watch it (or don't, due to word of mouth).
At least that's a little more clear cut than it being a merchandising powerhouse.

We talk about profit with the correlation of quality and enjoyment, not as a correlation with its earning potential as mixed media. At least that's what I think the "profit" nerds talk about when they say stuff like that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I really liked the first Sin City movie but I didn't hear anything about the sequel. Then again, given I live in a bubble, maybe that was just my fault.
Point is, I didn't know if the sequel was any good.

Someone gave me the two SC films' respective Rotten Tomatoes scores to show the first one was better. But I'm a DCEU fan so trusting RT seems like a bad idea.

And that was before I did some Googling and found out that Superman Returns has a far higher rating than Man of Steel.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/comics_and_graphic_novels_vs_the_critics/

But the Sin City sequel is on Netflix, gonna watch that tonight.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 7, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drifter posted:

Yeah, but ticket sales shows how many people go watch it (or don't, due to word of mouth).
At least that's a little more clear cut than it being a merchandising powerhouse.

We talk about profit with the correlation of quality and enjoyment, not as a correlation with its earning potential as mixed media. At least that's what I think the "profit" nerds talk about when they say stuff like that.

Yeah it's a "People vote with their wallet" thing, which proves a point but is still of limited use in a comparison.

If you take the box office results as a reflection of a film's popularity then MoS and BvS were about as popular as mid-tier MCU films and were WAY less popular than the '78 Superman or the three Raimi Spider-Man films or the last two Nolan Batman films (which were all billion dollar films if you adjust for inflation) or the '89 Batman (which also made more than BvS if you adjust for inflation).

Of course popularity doesn't necessarily correlate with quality or originality or cinematography or any other measure of a film's success and is massively influenced by advertising and star power and hype. No one can objectively say that MoS wasn't as good as those other films but it was clearly less popular, for whatever that's worth.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 7, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NikkolasKing posted:

So I really liked the first Sin City movie but I didn't hear anything about the sequel. Then again, given I live in a bubble, maybe that was just my fault.

Someone gave me the two SC films' respective Rotten Tomatoes scores to show the first one was better. But I'm a DCEU fan so trusting RT seems like a bad idea.

And that was before I did some Googling and found out that Superman Returns has a far higher rating than Man of Steel.

RIP.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

NikkolasKing posted:

I loved Sin City and saw it a bunch of times. I finally watched A Dame to Kill For the other night and while it wasn't terrible or anything (compared to the original) it really wasn't worth making or watching at all.

But I'm not a Man of Steel fan so you might not want to trust me either.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm a huge Man Of Steel fan and thought Sin City 2 was pretty much a waste of time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I loved Sin City and saw it a bunch of times. I finally watched A Dame to Kill For the other night and while it wasn't terrible or anything (compared to the original) it really wasn't worth making or watching at all.

But I'm not a Man of Steel fan so you might not want to trust me either.

Nah, if I refused to listen to everyone who didn't like MOS, I'd be in a very tiny echo chamber. I've met a lot of people in the last week or two who didn't like it but for reasons I can understand. (as opposed to the more overexposed complaints, ya know?)

But ignoring a site like Rotten Tomatoes is a very different thing, wouldn't you say?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

But ignoring a site like Rotten Tomatoes is a very different thing, wouldn't you say?

For a site like RT you basically just have to read the individual reviews.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My view of critical reviews has always been "Taste is subjective. So find someone with the same taste as you who you trust to be fair and stick with them."

Rotten Tomatoes is a good easy source to see what the general view of a movie you're on the fence about is like. But like if you want a real opinion go find a critic you agree with, so I can understand if you reject my opinion because we have different tastes.

I made the Man of Steel joke just because of the way you worded it. Plus I like to laugh about the fact that I'm like the exact opposite of this thread that I hate the DCU movies and love almost all the MCU movies. So it might be totally justifiable for you to ignore my opinion if it differs wildly.

For Sin City 2 I'll just say it really doesn't tell new stories and really just focuses too much on bringing back the characters from teh original movie and giving them more stories that aren't as good as the first ones. Its just kind of a typical sequel disappointment but a little weirder since the nature of Sin City should have made for an anthology of new stories instead of a straight sequel like they kind did.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the RT scoring system is incredibly flawed. A review that says "One of the greatest movies ever made, a genuine classic that elevates the entire medium to a new level" is weighted the same as a review that says "Eh, I guess it was okay" when they're calculating Freshness.

Also the critics scores are often wildly different from the audience scores.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

NikkolasKing posted:

Nah, if I refused to listen to everyone who didn't like MOS, I'd be in a very tiny echo chamber. I've met a lot of people in the last week or two who didn't like it but for reasons I can understand. (as opposed to the more overexposed complaints, ya know?)

Ignore RT and only listen to my opinion.

Do not watch Sin City 2.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was a very good movie.

Lots of jokes, the characters actually grew from the original, many emotional moments, Gammora cock teasing Star Lord hard.

I enjoyed it all around.

Probably a few too many poop jokes but whatever. I still laughed at the majority of them and had a great time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Drifter posted:

This isn't quite true, because the product placement point usually happens when people bring up how much a movie needs to make to turn a profit or what a film's budget is. If Box Office is brought up just as a measure of whether people went to see a film then there wouldn't be any controversy surrounding Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Batman v Superman and whether they "did well".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LesterGroans posted:

This isn't quite true, because the product placement point usually happens when people bring up how much a movie needs to make to turn a profit or what a film's budget is. If Box Office is brought up just as a measure of whether people went to see a film then there wouldn't be any controversy surrounding Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Batman v Superman and whether they "did well".

I wanna be there when a movie actually costs 700 million to produce. I hope it's like, Resident Evil 9 or something.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LesterGroans posted:

Do not watch Sin City 2.

Listen to this person

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Drifter posted:

I wanna be there when a movie actually costs 700 million to produce. I hope it's like, Resident Evil 9 or something.

My Grandson will wheel me in to the hover-theatre to watch Avatar 4.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the RT scoring system is incredibly flawed. A review that says "One of the greatest movies ever made, a genuine classic that elevates the entire medium to a new level" is weighted the same as a review that says "Eh, I guess it was okay" when they're calculating Freshness.

Also the critics scores are often wildly different from the audience scores.

I don't know the first thing about most of those movies but they're irrelevant here anyway. What i can comment on and find very interesting is that critics at least kind of liked 2003 Hulk. That's how I feel, too. It was trying something different, to tell a more personal story. I like stuff like Peter David's Hulk which is all about the psychological torment of Bruce Banner. That felt like what the movie was going for. I thought the cast was good, too. Ross and Betty anyway.

But it does drag and the ending is poo poo.

What's weird to me is that critics "appreciate the effort" of Hulk but hate Man of Steel and they both have similar structures, focusing on the human element for 2/3 of the film and then ending with lots of action.

Oh well, what do I know. Thanks for the list thought, very interesting.

LesterGroans posted:

Do not watch Sin City 2.

Very well, I have comics to read anyway.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Just find ppl who's opinions you trust & watch what they say is good while also occasionally watching movies considered classics or important & also arbitrarily watching movies that seem interesting to you when you have a whim to and you will live a long and joyful life.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

NikkolasKing posted:

Very well, I have comics to read anyway.

The Joseph Gordon Levitt/Powers Boothe section is the best, and it's barely okay. If you liked Sin City it does everything that movie does, but worse. Worse cinematography, stories and effects. It comes off as weird and half-assed. Apparently the production didn't even bother to call Clive Owen and ask if he'd reprise his role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you're not a smug rear end in a top hat I'll listen to your opinion even if I don't agree.

• Locked thread