Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What if the putus templar were the muties all along? 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Those are the putative templar.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Does having four arms and Helping Hands make Flurry absolutely hilarious/awesome? I really hope so.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, Flurry is a guaranteed attack with every hand you currently have. A sextuple-wielding Berserk axemonger with multiple arms and helping hands (who has an enemy hooked, if you really want to be brutal about it) can inflict some real carnage.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Does having four arms and Helping Hands make Flurry absolutely hilarious/awesome? I really hope so.
Yes. Helping Hands doesn't do much for regular attacks though you can kind of "game" the system by wielding two-handed weapons in such a way that the "second" hand for those 2H weapons are only on one of the helping hands each. For additional comedy, you can have six elemental wristblades, and have 10 (optimal setup where you have 6 wristblades, 2 2H weapons and 2 1H weapons) or 12 (all 1H weapons) attacks in Flurry.

Additionally, if you have Jab and the 2nd or 3rd level of Dual Wield, the wristblades on your four natural arms have a 5% chance of attacking twice each (level 2 Dual Wield) or 25% (level 3 Dual Wield) :unsmigghh:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 12, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Angry Diplomat posted:

with every hand you currently have.

This phrase is a part of why I love Qud.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?
  • Added and updated some sound effects.
    • open and close wooden door
    • open tech door
    • hover over UI element
    • acquire a fungal infection
  • Added procedurally-generated names for starapple farms.
  • Added procedurally-generated names for pig farms.
  • Made some gossip more interesting and specific.
  • Initiating the water ritual is no longer ever the default dialog option.
  • Sleep immunity from Sleep Gas Generation no longer applies to Narcolepsy or exhaustion from Adrenal Control.
  • Myopia is working as intended again.
  • Smart use no longer interacts with party members.
  • Fixed a typo in the option to initiate the water ritual.
  • Fixed a few grammatical errors in the chronology.
  • Removed Yempuris Phi from dynamic encounters.
  • Graphical elements like the map note indicators no longer disappear after a textbox appears over them in look mode.
  • You can no longer initiate the water ritual with clones.
  • Clones of containers are now empty.
  • Clones of items with ammos slots are now empty.
  • Fixed some blank popup messages during merchant encounters.
  • Fixed the default Journal keybinding when J is in use as a secondary keybind.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how does one use adrenal control anyway
i feel like i never actually get much mileage out of it, risks aside

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hand of luke posted:

• Sleep immunity from Sleep Gas Generation no longer applies to Narcolepsy or exhaustion from Adrenal Control.
  • Myopia is working as intended again.

While you're fixing all of my favorite exploits, any chance you can patch the thing where you can trade with your Temporal Fugue clones to duplicate your inventory?

Or at least, make it so that you can't make items "forget" that they're duplicates by adding them to existing stacks / splitting stacks, so that they stick around even after clones disappear.

(And/or make duplicated items worthless so you can't do fairy gold tricks on shopkeepers.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tollymain posted:

how does one use adrenal control anyway
i feel like i never actually get much mileage out of it, risks aside

You can set your adrenaline level between 0 and 5, the higher it is, the higher your quickness (up to 200 QN at level 10 and adrenaline 5) as well as the greater the chance each turn that you'll be exhausted, which means you have a few turns before you fall asleep for a while.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i know how to toggle it

i mean like in the gameplay loop where do i want to pump up my glands and how much for kind of thing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tollymain posted:

i know how to toggle it

i mean like in the gameplay loop where do i want to pump up my glands and how much for kind of thing

oh well basically never now that the exploit is fixed, it's a poo poo ability that will get you killed

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
Hit autoexplore in the Stilt, character went to a water bottle someone else owned, refuses to do anything other than check water bottles. I think there's like two right next to each other so I can't interrupt the autoexplore at any point.

I took it to break the loop, and now am leading an apothecary and an ichor merchant into the desert so I can safely kill them and head back. Caves of Qud!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

in the abstract having 200 quickness is both good for running away and for getting an edge in a tough fight, which coincidentally are the two biggest times that the ability suddenly turning itself off and then putting you to sleep would gently caress your world

if you want one ability for both running away and getting an edge in a fight take Time Dilation

if you want to be an optimization monster, get two abilities instead, take Teleport for running away and then there are like a million options for cool offensive / stalemate-breaking mutations

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 13, 2017

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Just started this game, and in spite of getting stuck underground forever after taking a wrong turn after the first quest, I'm quite enjoying it.

But I have a question. Is strength pretty much mandatory for every melee build? It seems like high penetration is the most important thing for melee characters and there's no way to get it outside of rare weapons. Is it possible to make a kind of nimble fencer or a stabber character that stacks status effects on an enemy and then shanks them? The bleed status from daggers themselves requires penetration in the first place, so that's no way to get around strength. And what exactly counts as a negative status effect? Does slowing an enemy with freezing hands count?

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017
I am on a personal quest: Beat the game without leaving Joppa.

I made significant progress. Build is BAEEESIUABDADFDODSEB (24 ego 24 int 16 WP, Spacetime Vortex, Domination, Beguile, Precognition and Blinking Tic as an Apostle).

Immediately proselitise a cat and dominate a watervine farmer. Spacetime Vortex and dominate the cat into it, grab loot if there is anything cool and escape. Repeating this you'll eventually get good endgame gear.

Get Harvest to make infinite watervine food, Berate so it gets easier to beguile Tam when you level up, and star climbing the social ladder by leveling up and dominating the named villagers.

You can eventually start playing the social game with remote water rituals and teleporting back leaders from around the world. Choose one main and use the spacetime vortex trick to find the other villages and get their recoilers (precog helps preventing a really terrible warp). With a high enough level, I think Domination will last long enough to tackle the longest quests (although I haven't gotten that far yet).

Obviously all of this works due to the "return back to you when domination ends" exploit, but I'm sure it's doable with a joppa recoiler, tinkering and a lot of patience, if it ever gets fixed.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Game crashed and my computer BSOD'd when a sower threw a seed at me that exploded while i was on the south edge of map, which would have knocked me back to my previous screen. I'm presuming it was just a game crash and my BSOD was due to my computer being bad but wanted to include that piece just in case.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi someone mentioned the name of this game along with some other goon games in the BRIGADOR thread and I checked it out and it looks pretty cool for an EA game. It's like minecraft adventure mode but with a proper tileset and a fantasy-cyberruins sort of setting?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Baronjutter posted:

Hi someone mentioned the name of this game along with some other goon games in the BRIGADOR thread and I checked it out and it looks pretty cool for an EA game. It's like minecraft adventure mode but with a proper tileset and a fantasy-cyberruins sort of setting?

Nope. It's way better than that:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
u can play as 3 out of 4 ninja turtles

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

Strong argument for nunchuck item

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Baronjutter posted:

You should really just consider this game done with a handful of bugs and a poo poo ton of features on the way. Also, not getting the "Minecraft adventure mode" comparison. I mean... Maybe? It's top-down, ASCII-like tileset.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Unormal posted:

Strong argument for nunchuck item

Flails/nunchucks/etc would actually be really interesting as mediocre-strength-friendly cudgels. Decent damage and ok penetration, but crappy strength bonus caps. Good for your espers, your dodgy gunhaver Tinkers, your funky generalist builds.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Wait, there are Sais?

Which reminds me, why are Shortswords identical to Daggers only heavier? Just toss in a +1 somewhere to give them some reason to exist.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 14, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You should really just consider this game done with a handful of bugs and a poo poo ton of features on the way. Also, not getting the "Minecraft adventure mode" comparison. I mean... Maybe? It's top-down, ASCII-like tileset.

God I meant Dwarf Fortress adventure mode. I so often mix those two up when talking about them for some reason.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Baronjutter posted:

God I meant Dwarf Fortress adventure mode. I so often mix those two up when talking about them for some reason.

Oh, in that case, even as little as I've played DF, totally. Except the world in Qud is, overall, the same... but different. For now, your starting location is Joppa, and it's always the same layout with the same characters, but the loot is random. Meanwhile, the Sultans and their histories, shrines, and whatnot are all procedurally generated, as are most of the books written.

And the caves. The caves are alway different.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The one thing holding me back from swooping in and grabbing this is control/interface fears. I find these sorts of games just go way overboard and manage to have every single key and shift/ctrl/alt combo possible on a keyboard used for something extremely important that if you don't do you'll die/fail and everything is pointlessly detailed but you need to be aware of every detail or you'll die or fail.

There's a lever you need to pull to open a door? No, there can't just be a context sensitive "use" button, you need to specify if you're pulling or pushing or flicking the object, which all have different command keys. Doors are all either push or pull and you need to first [L]ook at the door to see if it's push or pull, then go into options and change your "interact mode" to "push" then select the door, activate your hand which is now in the correct mode and push the door. Nothing happens, the door is stone and heavy. Maybe you need to push with 2 hands, but you'll need to de-equip your weapons first which requires going through 4 screens and pressing 8 different keys and if you do any of the steps wrong you end up dropping your weapons on the ground. Now go back into the interaction mode option and change push to heavy push, make sure both hands are selected, and activate a heavy push on the door. Oops you broke your hand because you didn't set your "action stance" to "careful" from "aggressive" so you aggressively pushed the door too hard. You have a healing kit but to use it properly to treat your hand would involve a grand total of 43 button presses through 14 menu and stat screens so you just quit the game and never play it again.

That's the sort of gameplay I really really don't want.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Caves of Qud literally has spacebar bound to "do the context-based reasonable thing on a nearby object"

among other things it opens doors, picks things up off the ground, and talks to people (not necessarily in that priority)

this isn't loving Cataclysm :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

qud is probably one of, if not the most, accessible 'traditional' roguelikes i've ever played

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also there's an old free, ASCII-only version of Qud floating around if you want a preview, although it's quite out of date by now

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Also, you can do just about everything with the mouse now. I think there are still a few dialogs where you might have to use the keyboard to make a selection, but mouse support is pretty far along now.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Qud has gamepad controls. That should tell you how easy it is to navigate compared to other roguelikes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The general notes tab of the new journal is very handy.

My first entry into it ever:

quote:

Rusted Archway B1: LEGENDARY SLUMBERLING AND POSSE OH GOD

Edit: one floor down I had a really weird experience. Got chain-confused by a rare sightless mind disciple, so good so far.

Then he starts respawning infinitely on the same square when killed (one at a time, no chute crab singularity), and

none of my buttons except the numpad (including staircase buttons) work. :psyduck:

Had to force quit out. My most recent autosave was my most recent departure from Joppa.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 14, 2017

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The general notes tab of the new journal is very handy.

My first entry into it ever:

If you take this note on the Locations tab, it'll be tracked like all the other locations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hand of luke posted:

If you take this note on the Locations tab, it'll be tracked like all the other locations.

Will bear that in mind in the future, the confusion-induced metagame spacetime anomaly caused the slumberling and disciple to not spawn this time. :v:

Found an ACTUAL spacetime vortex in the flower fields on my trek to the Stilt that had spat out, among other things, a goddamn arc cannon, though.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

hand of luke posted:

Oh, loving hell that's nice. Didn't realize you could use the notes for other pieces of the journal.

Would have written the TWO loving CHROME PYRAMIDS IN THIS HISTORICAL SITE gently caress THIS there if I had known. Now, to try and find a way to buddy up with robots...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sick and on a variety of drugs but I went ahead and bought it. Watched a couple LP's and the controls seem fine and logical.

Can you like, accomplish anything in the game? Is there a story or just roaming around trying to survive? I know it's not minecraft but I'd kill for a game like this with some light building/management aspects. Cleanse an area of monsters, grow a settlement, rebuild humanity, that sort of deal.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there is, in fact, a main quest. it's not entirely finished, but, given the nature of the game you're not likely to actually reach the end of the current content in the main quest without a lot of effort put in. also the game gets weekly updates, with a definite 'win' state planned.

to start it you talk to argyve in the southwest corner of joppa. the first couple steps are just giving him artifacts for chunks of exp, but trust me, he gets you on your way eventually.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Baronjutter posted:

I'm sick and on a variety of drugs but I went ahead and bought it. Watched a couple LP's and the controls seem fine and logical.

Can you like, accomplish anything in the game? Is there a story or just roaming around trying to survive? I know it's not minecraft but I'd kill for a game like this with some light building/management aspects. Cleanse an area of monsters, grow a settlement, rebuild humanity, that sort of deal.

There is a main quest, and it's both long and very hard. Not finished yet, but buddy if you can beat it you're a god amongst roguelike players.

As for other things to do you can befriend monsters/robots and help a librarian out and explore the caves and so on. There's a lot to do and it's fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Baronjutter posted:

You and me both. I've always wanted to play Qud Fortress for the longest.