Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
He's doing some one offs next and then 1848 then ??? Maybe Mexico will be a quick one off or short multi-parter like the July revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

uPen posted:

He's doing some one offs next and then 1848 then ??? Maybe Mexico will be a quick one off or short multi-parter like the July revolution.

As a Belgian I'm looking forward to his take on the Belgian revolution of 1830, the only revolution that was kicked of by people getting angry after watching an opera.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

uPen posted:

I'm hoping we get some eps on the Young Ireland rebellion (he's talked about maybe doing Ireland at some point but Jesus, where do you start), if only because I've been reading Timothy Egan's The Immortal Irishman and Thomas Francis Meagher might be my new favorite historical personage, that dude lived seventeen lives.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Annual Prophet posted:

has he said when he's going to cover Russia?

I'm going off entirely by memory here and I might be wrong but I got the impression it was supposed to be the next big revolution covered. It was around the start of Bolivar's saga though so I could have remembered wrong or he could have changed his plans since then.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's soon since he wants to finish up the Liberal Revolutions of the Enlightenment Era and hit the Communist/Labor revolutions of the 20th century. Or something like that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He's going to do these little bits like July and 1848, and then I believe has mentioned that Mexico is next.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Have we talked about Our Fake History in this thread? I listened to some bits of the archive the past couple days, and I'm enjoying it so far. He looks at myths and historical "alternative theories" and talks about the evidence for and against, but way less credulously than the Ancient Aliens types. He actually borrows Darwin's quote about reading a book on Atlantis "with interest, though I must confess in a very skeptical spirit" during one episode and says it would make a great motto for the show. Highlights include:
  • Making a little musical riff to play every time Heinrich Schliemann fucks something up (or fucks someone over) during the Troy episodes
  • Uncritically repeating the "middle finger gesture comes from the battle of Agincourt" myth during the Joan of Arc episode, then putting out a mini-episode on it being a myth after he got called out on it
  • Accidentally kicking the hornet's nest that is the Graham Hancock fandom by grouping him in with the Ancient Aliens people

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Goon Danton posted:

Have we talked about Our Fake History in this thread? I listened to some bits of the archive the past couple days, and I'm enjoying it so far. He looks at myths and historical "alternative theories" and talks about the evidence for and against, but way less credulously than the Ancient Aliens types. He actually borrows Darwin's quote about reading a book on Atlantis "with interest, though I must confess in a very skeptical spirit" during one episode and says it would make a great motto for the show. Highlights include:
  • Making a little musical riff to play every time Heinrich Schliemann fucks something up (or fucks someone over) during the Troy episodes
  • Uncritically repeating the "middle finger gesture comes from the battle of Agincourt" myth during the Joan of Arc episode, then putting out a mini-episode on it being a myth after he got called out on it
  • Accidentally kicking the hornet's nest that is the Graham Hancock fandom by grouping him in with the Ancient Aliens people

sounds like a good time

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Following up on the previous Lesser Bonapartes business: while Daniel only reappeared for one series, there are apparently several other members now cycling in and out for different series, so you can avoid Kristaps (I feel bad for dunking on the dude but he and Glenn just grind each other to a crawl). I haven't tried these other guests myself though.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Goon Danton posted:

I listened to the Cortes two parter and I'm sold

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Has there been a good podcast going over Nixon / Watergate?

Edit: To answer my own question, Dan Carlin did a Nixon episode for 10 American Presidents Podcast that ended up being good and informative.

Tensokuu fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 17, 2017

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My girlfriend and I listened to the Joan of Arc 3 parter for Our Fake History and instantly got hooked.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Our Fake History is great, definitely going to be sticking with it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Karanas posted:

I'm going off entirely by memory here and I might be wrong but I got the impression it was supposed to be the next big revolution covered. It was around the start of Bolivar's saga though so I could have remembered wrong or he could have changed his plans since then.

Rodyle posted:

He's going to do these little bits like July and 1848, and then I believe has mentioned that Mexico is next.

1848 is going to be a full-length series and will probably get as many episodes as Russia and France. 1848 is the history nerd's major revolution and I'll bet that's actually the one he's most excited about

then after that he might do the Young Turks or China in addition to Mexico, not sure

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The latest Whistlestop episode on the position of the White House Chief of Staff and the system set up by Chief of Staff HR Haldeman during the Nixon administration is really really good. I can't think of anywhere else to go for this kind of thing. I love Dickerson for diving into a bunch of interesting literature on a topic and then giving me a 45 minute rundown of the interesting bits. Haldeman had a very organisatorial and managerial approach to administering the WH and its staff and it worked so well it stuck around even after both him and Nixon had to leave in disgrace. Paraphrasing, "the President should only get tough problems to solve because all the easy problems should be solved at the levels below." Also valuing the President's time above all else. Haldeman in hindsight even claimed that the Watergate burglary wasn't a failure of his system because if his system had been applied properly the burglary would never have been okayed.

Who knows what's going on right now though. We're at a juncture where we're really testing the technocratic commonplace that the levers of the Presidency must be operated by the best and brightest or everything goes to poo poo. Maybe it'll be rebuked, maybe it'll be proven true.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My favorite part of listening to historical/informational podcasts these days honestly is just getting recommendations for new books based on the sources they're gleaning for whatever current episode they're doing
whistlestop and fake history can be fun & good for this

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Not really a podcast, but I like the Feature History Youtube channel for the occasional quick history fix.
Latest episode is on the Meiji restoration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_b58Rpg2YY

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
When Diplomacy Fails is embarking on a redo of its first 19 or so topics for its 5th anniversary, released at 2 episodes a day for 5 weeks. Or, for Patrons, a lump of 70-something new episodes all at once. Good times

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommunityEdition posted:

When Diplomacy Fails is embarking on a redo of its first 19 or so topics for its 5th anniversary, released at 2 episodes a day for 5 weeks. Or, for Patrons, a lump of 70-something new episodes all at once. Good times

He's an absolute madman for getting all that content done, but I love it.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
If you're a Rome nerd, I'd recommend the Fall of Rome Podcast. It's by a guy with a PhD in the late Roman history and it's super cool if you like 4th/5th century history.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheLoquid posted:

If you're a Rome nerd, I'd recommend the Fall of Rome Podcast. It's by a guy with a PhD in the late Roman history and it's super cool if you like 4th/5th century history.

But why would a PhD in 4th/5th century history assist you for a podcast regarding 15th century history?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Do you want to hear a digitally chopped and rearranged Dan Carlin doing the history of the 2020 US election and the fall of the republic? You know you do: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412&pagenumber=209&perpage=40#post472699757

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No I don't want to hear Dan Carlin do anything.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Do you want to hear a digitally chopped and rearranged Dan Carlin doing the history of the 2020 US election and the fall of the republic? You know you do: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412&pagenumber=209&perpage=40#post472699757

oh my god

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Reminds of Meat Planet by (mostly) Carl Satan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

stealie72 posted:

Haha, this ownssss

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

CharlestheHammer posted:

No I don't want to hear Dan Carlin do anything.

Nah trust me, you really want to hear this one

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A friend suggested Literature and History. Have any of you tried it yet?

stealie72 posted:

Perfect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Reminds of Meat Planet by (mostly) Carl Satan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Oh poo poo, how have I never seen this?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

stealie72 posted:

:eyepop:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
why does the Our Fake History guy compare Rasputin to Homer Simpson when it comes to the Aspirin Theory? I feel like that doesn't give him enough credit, if he's at least recognized that the boy would be better off without the doctor's interference.

p.s. I've been digging and listening to a lot of Our Fake History

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Homer Simpson but he's really horny.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Hey, after some podcast recomendations for my dad. I've been using them to encourage him to go out and take long walks, and so far I think its been really succesful. He's an old nerd, and really digs history.

He devoured Dan Carlins history podcast, but wasn't really interested in history of rome (which I think he found dry or dull maybe? not sure). He really enjoyed the first season of serial. Doesn't seem to have much interest in something like the moth.

So something a bit popier maybe? Nothing too young person. I don't really know many podcasts so I'm not sure what would be good.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In Our Time has a feed just for the History episodes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

if history of rome didn't initially grab him, get him to try revolutions

Mike Duncan improves where many podcasters stay the same

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

He devoured Dan Carlins history podcast, but wasn't really interested in history of rome (which I think he found dry or dull maybe? not sure). He really enjoyed the first season of serial. Doesn't seem to have much interest in something like the moth.

If he leans towards the carlianian style podcasts try some more in that vein. History on fire, martyrmade, and inward empire are my suggestions. They're pretty short in length but all together the series in the china history podcast might do the trick if he's into Chinese history.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Our Fake History made be worth a shot

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Fall of Rome and the Age of Napoleon are also a couple more options.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Cheers for the heads up on the Skeptoid podcast. Why haven't I looked at this thread before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Holy Cheese posted:

Cheers for the heads up on the Skeptoid podcast. Why haven't I looked at this thread before?

How is Skeptoid these days? I tried listening to it years ago and the actual content was interesting but ultimately I found Brian Dunning to be too smug. I trust that he is out of jail now?

If you like Skeptoid you really need to listen to Oh No Ross and Carrie. They are probably my favorite podcast at this point. What makes them different from practically everything and everyone else is they don't just report on whatever they are doing, but take part themselves, whether that be joining crazy and/or dangerous religions, weird detox cleanses, or give themselves or John Hodgeman shocks. But they come at everything with an open mind and genuine respect for the people they encounter, and report their observations and experiences with humor and honesty. It comes out once a month, which is pretty good for the amount of work that goes into each episode, but they have about 5 years of material out so even if you binge listened it will keep you busy for good while.