Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

tater_salad posted:

Maybe I"ll give dirt a try.

Do it, the free car/track is fun (moreso if you haven't driven the others yet). The races are conveniently short but pretty intense. Barely 20 minutes total to do one including the practice/qual session but the most fun I've had in a sim since the dirt:rally early access. Wrecks aplenty depending on your irating but predicting trouble ahead, letting off a bit and sliding around the clusterfuck like you're in the goddamn Dukes of Hazzard owns enough to make up for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
So, I just subbed to iracing a few days ago (Sadly before reading this thread / remembering somethingawful is a thing), and I must say I'm fairly saddened at the lack of content there is at base level.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

itsjustdrew posted:

So, I just subbed to iracing a few days ago (Sadly before reading this thread / remembering somethingawful is a thing), and I must say I'm fairly saddened at the lack of content there is at base level.

What do you plan on driving?

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Norns posted:

What do you plan on driving?

I'm not too sure, I like the idea of endurance / GT, but I can't even practise with the lack of tracks and cars in that class. it'd be nice to have a base of every class and a few decent sized tracks too. Sadly, of the 14 or so tracks there are, most of them are ovals.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think a few of the free ovals have road course layouts as well. There's no way around buying a good chunk of content if you want to run a full season of GT3, though.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think a few of the free ovals have road course layouts as well. There's no way around buying a good chunk of content if you want to run a full season of GT3, though.

Any idea how much that'll set me back? I'm no where NEAR good enough to race others with a wheel yet, sadly.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Probably $100-120 US to do a full season if you have no other content, but common tracks get used in a majority of series. Skip Barber and (ugh) Spec Racer Ford design season track rotations to maximize value - in Skips, a pay track will be used for three seasons in a row, so if you get a track during its first season you know it WILL be used for two additional consecutive seasons.

As you work your way towards GT3, many of the tracks will be used in all of the series leading up to it. Unlike oval tracks, there are multiple layouts with many road tracks so they can accommodate all types of cars.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
Oh okay, I'll have a play about, thanks. Sorry for being 'the new guy'

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

There's a Skippy budget guide on the forums. I'd look for overlap with the GT series if that's your final goal.

You'll be able to race with a lot of the people in the thread though! Not me since I seem to be the only dipshit still doing Kamel GT in the Audi.

Looking at joining a AC LMP league... Game recently got the 2014 Toyota and it's a loving blast to drive.

Burning out on road here. Still gunna keep doing Trucks though.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Tracks are usually $14.95, cars $11.95. Not familiar with gt, but assuming they run 1-2 free tracks per season, you're looking at around $100 to pick up a car and 7 tracks to run at least 8 weeks with the bulk buy discount. My advice is to take your time, enjoy the content you have, and learn. I subscribed last fall with the intention of running NASCAR stuff, and thanks to gooncar I instead fell in love with the skip barber series and focus mostly on that now. Spend some time getting good with the mx-5 and the free tracks, and consider dabbling in oval and dirt, you might like it. Once you start moving up, many series have a track rotation system where the paid tracks are used for 2-3 consecutive seasons to maximize use of tracks you buy, the iracing forums can give you more info on that. No way around it, though, iracing costs money.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I wouldn't buy tracks/cars in advance. You may get away with buying tracks as the popular ones get used in different series, but for cars its better to wait it out. So if you get into D stick with the skip, then maybe try another car. I tend to buy 2 - 3 items per month (mostly tracks) if I am enjoying a series. I have a lot of cars I own but never drive cause I was impatient and now don't drive those series at all.

Also, do both rookie series cause you might like both. Ovals and road are both fun.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 20, 2017

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
My issue is that I suck BALLS with a wheel, and only have a rough idea what series I might like. I need time to practise and I'd love to have more cars / tracks to free practice solo with. all cars and tracks should be free for 'testing' in my opinion.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

There are a lot of free cars though. Not one for every class, but you can practice in mx5, street stocks + that one chrysler that no one likes on the slower end. Faster free cars are old dallara, the cadillac and i think a free truck for ovals. There's a lot of room between them but without prior experience it's hard to drive fast cars properly. Probably best to just take it easy in the rookie series while you try to learn at least the basics of racecraft (i.e. driving with other people around/around other people)

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Old Binsby posted:

There are a lot of free cars though. Not one for every class, but you can practice in mx5, street stocks + that one chrysler that no one likes on the slower end. Faster free cars are old dallara, the cadillac and i think a free truck for ovals. There's a lot of room between them but without prior experience it's hard to drive fast cars properly. Probably best to just take it easy in the rookie series while you try to learn at least the basics of racecraft (i.e. driving with other people around/around other people)

Yeah, you're right bud. I guess the Cadillac is 'kinda' GT based, though I'd call it more of a touring car.

First of all I have to work on consistently driving well, getting a few laps in without spinning

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good C class series? I love the slippy but I'd like to increase the range of cars I drive. I was thinking star (pro?) Mazda but I don't know what the quality of the field is like.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

NtotheTC posted:

Can anyone recommend a good C class series? I love the slippy but I'd like to increase the range of cars I drive. I was thinking star (pro?) Mazda but I don't know what the quality of the field is like.

The Renault is a lot newer and should be more popular than the Star Mazda if you want a mid paced open wheeler.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

NtotheTC posted:

Proto GT is good fun (in the HPD at least, last time I raced the Corvette it was pretty frustrating but the new tyres may have changed that) if the idea of 60/90 minute races doesn't bring you out in a rash. Though the cars are kinda old so that content feels like it should come with a "replacement WEC cars will probably be announced within a month of you making this purchase" warning.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

NtotheTC posted:

If you ever want to know what participation numbers are like, bookmark this.

http://iracer.info/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pro Mazda is fun and I prefer it to the Renault but participation isn't great since the Renault came out and the oval races on the schedule might not exist since about 10 people run them and if people want to run open wheel cars on ovals there's no reason to not just run Indy Fixed since that's C as well. There's also the Porsche GT3 Cup series which will probably become one of those eternal good participation series.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

It's also a fun car, much preferable to the Ruf (at least easier to get into). Is the 'real' gt3 911 coming soon™ did I just make up that they announced both at the same time?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They announced a Porsche partnership though what that means in iRacing terms is anyone's guess. I'd assume since it's basically guaranteed money the 911 RSR (the Porsche GT3 car) is at least being worked on.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'm looking at building a sim-pit primarily for iRacing and building a dedicated PC for it. If I'm going to run 3 x32" 1080p monitors/TVs what sort of specs should I be looking at?

I was thinking an i5, 8 or 16GB RAM and a 1070. Anyone got any tips or suggestions?

biglads fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 21, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd say you might as well bump the RAM up to 32Gb since RAM is so god drat cheap right now, other than that it seems solid. Going above a high level i5 for games isn't much worth it and a 1070 should take whatever you throw at it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

njsykora posted:

I'd say you might as well bump the RAM up to 32Gb since RAM is so god drat cheap right now, other than that it seems solid. Going above a high level i5 for games isn't much worth it and a 1070 should take whatever you throw at it.

Thanks. Any massive downsides for going with 3 TVs as opposed to 3 monitors? 3 x 1440p looks too pricey and a decent 32" TV seems a bit cheaper than a monitor.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Input lag, HDTVs have horrific input lag that isn't much noticable on most games but stuff like sim racing or rhythm games that extra lag can make it impossible to play. The response time on most modern monitors is 2-3ms, whereas on my current TV it's around 40ms. That's enough to make the note window too small to hit when I'm playing Rock Band and haven't calibrated it, so saving a slide would at best be way harder and at worst impossible. To be honest 32in is a massive extravagance especially if you're going triples, 24-27 would be much more manageable. In the UK at least a decent 27" monitor can be had for around £200-250 whereas 32" is closer to £400.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2017

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Thanks again. It looks like 3 x 27" 1440p monitors could be do-able as far as cost is concerned too.

Just need to clear out and re-decorate the spare room now.......and earn a few quid as well.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

biglads posted:

I'm looking at building a sim-pit primarily for iRacing and building a dedicated PC for it. If I'm going to run 3 x32" 1080p monitors/TVs what sort of specs should I be looking at?

I was thinking an i5, 8 or 16GB RAM and a 1070. Anyone got any tips?

2 years ago I built a triple-monitor rig with an i5 + 8GB ram + GTX970 and it runs iRacing pretty well. Check with the PC building thread for more specific up-to-date specific parts (especially for power supplies), but what you just wrote should work just fine.

Also, maybe consider thin/no bezel monitors.

e: Maybe this is a "duh", but definitely get a SSD. Again, PC builder thread will be helpful for specifics.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 21, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I run three 24" 1080p monitors just fine with a 1070 and 16gb of ram that's 2133 I believe. My processor is an old 2500k overclocked to 4.4 and it still will give me 60FPS with everything maxed out on most tracks. Certain ones like Spa I have to turn a few things down. If you get high Hz monitors, something newer and a 1080 GPU will probably be a very nice setup.

Any reason you aren't going VR? That is probably cheaper (powering 2 screens vs 3 so hopefully less demanding and at 90fps) and if I were looking to get into it right now I would probably go that route instead. I will probably do this if next gen headsets get rid of the screen door effect and have higher resolution. Also if you use your PC for other gaming and not a dedicated race rig, you can have the cockpit stuff contained off to the side with the rift and have a normal chair and everything else setup at your desk so you don't have to move them back and forth. Half the problem I have with my setup is moving the seat into position and clamping the wheel down to my desk because I use my PC for both (well, I haven't sim raced in 6 months). :effort:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Larrymer posted:

I run three 24" 1080p monitors just fine with a 1070 and 16gb of ram that's 2133 I believe. My processor is an old 2500k overclocked to 4.4 and it still will give me 60FPS with everything maxed out on most tracks. Certain ones like Spa I have to turn a few things down. If you get high Hz monitors, something newer and a 1080 GPU will probably be a very nice setup.

Any reason you aren't going VR? That is probably cheaper (powering 2 screens vs 3 so hopefully less demanding and at 90fps) and if I were looking to get into it right now I would probably go that route instead. I will probably do this if next gen headsets get rid of the screen door effect and have higher resolution. Also if you use your PC for other gaming and not a dedicated race rig, you can have the cockpit stuff contained off to the side with the rift and have a normal chair and everything else setup at your desk so you don't have to move them back and forth. Half the problem I have with my setup is moving the seat into position and clamping the wheel down to my desk because I use my PC for both (well, I haven't sim raced in 6 months). :effort:

I'm tempted with VR but I suffer from episodic cluster headaches (ECH) and I'm worried that a VR headset may trigger them. Also I have a number of cattes, one of which likes to launch himself onto my lap with very little or no warning in the middle of games. Not too much of a problem if I'm playing HoI4 but with a VR headset on going around Talladega mid-pack that sounds like a quick way to a cardiac arrest.

I want a separate space & setup for racing as my wheelstand takes up a lot of space where it is and it's a PITA shifting it around to plug it in then unplug it again. Like you I've barely raced in the last few months though that's more to do with burning myself out getting an A-Class Oval licence in the winter than the aggro of shifting around the kit. I think with having the space it would be nice to put together a separate 'fixed' setup that I can use for iRacing and ETS2. Might even work well for Elite Dangerous.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, it's given me a bit to think about.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

You've probably already considered it and opted not to, but just in case you didn't: Try racing in VR some time. Yes, visual fidelity is worse and you still need a fat PC to run it all. If you're going for an i5 + GTX1070 anyway that should be no problem considering my 4 year old Xeon + 970 also work fine for VR with a few settings turned down to low-med. The immersion (to me) is totally worth the lack of slick graphics and having a sim cockpit sit on relatively tiny footprint without the triples mount also really helps because I don't really have space for those. Mileage varies a lot though. What cockpit are you going for? I'm really satisfied with the Simetik one I got last year, it's small/sturdy/reasonably priced. Plus they're good dudes so I tend to plug them when I can.

Agreed with the TV advice. No matter how many FPS you get, if the refresh rate sucks you still won't get an ideal experience. Along the same lines, the difference a 120/144Hz monitor makes is massive but I don't know if 1440p/120+Hz screens are made in a semi-affordable price range yet. I did not expect the difference to be so big when I swapped my one 24" 1080p screen but it's worth every penny.

njsykora posted:

They announced a Porsche partnership though what that means in iRacing terms is anyone's guess. I'd assume since it's basically guaranteed money the 911 RSR (the Porsche GT3 car) is at least being worked on.

That was to be expected I guess. I thought they'd actually already announced the GT3 car but my memory is probably still a little rose tinted from that magical couple of weeks when the Nissan/Audi/Porsche were all announced and released with almost no delay.

e. super beaten

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 21, 2017

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Fast RAM helps a lot with higher framerates - DDR4-3200 seems to be the sweet spot right now. 16 gigs for sure. 32 might be overkill but it's better to have too much than not enough.

iRacing is pretty CPU dependent, especially with single core speed, so an overclockable processor like a 7600k or 7700k is a solid choice. Single core draw call speed is important for DX9/DX11 which iRacing will use for a while, and Intel has the upper hand with that. A 1070 is a good choice for iRacing with triples, a 1080Ti is overkill unless you have fast DDR4 and a 7600k/7700k which I discovered firsthand. I would get a 1080 before I got 32 gigs of RAM, but that's up to you.

As mentioned, monitors generally have better latency, and I don't think many TVs have DisplayPort which is becoming the standard for graphics cards. Any money saved with TVs may need to be spent on adapters, so you end up spending the same for worse latency and more possible points of failure with those adapters.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Releasing the GT3 spec Porsche would be weird when they could put out a GTLM 911 alongside the forthcoming Ferrari and the resulting race nerd boner apocalypse would blot out the sun.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Speaking of GT3, if I were to run a 5 race GT3 series in the regular Sunday slot at only free tracks how many of you would theoretically show up?

Vando fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 21, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I might. Need to start racing again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I'd pretty much given up on wasting time with Logitech's support any further (gently caress Logitech, never buy their products kthx) and decided to tear the shifter apart to figure out why it was binding / blocking out the 1/2 and 5/6/R gates.

Turned out to be the issue documented here when you scroll down to "G27 shifter won't move sideways." A lovely little plastic collar that only seems to be there to try and hold the boot up (and does a bad job of it) slipped off and into the mechanism, binding it all up. All you have to do is pull the knob (pry off the H-pattern cover, #1 phillips screw inside) and the boot (6x 2.5mm allen screws), remove said collar, and put it all back together. I might print something up to hold the boot in place with an actual press fit, but... :effort:

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

Vando posted:

Speaking of GT3, if I were to run a 5 race GT3 series in the regular Sunday slot at only free tracks how many of you would theoretically show up?

I might occasionally, though this is a busy time of year, and I don't yet own a gt3 car, so I'll somehow drive even worse than normal when I do show up.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Vando posted:

GT3s at Concord

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
Could someone with a decent amount of knowledge recommend a GT/endurance car and maybe 2 or 3 tracks used in the discipline (preferably the popular ones that are used often or at least most seasons) Thanks guys.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

itsjustdrew posted:

Could someone with a decent amount of knowledge recommend a GT/endurance car and maybe 2 or 3 tracks used in the discipline (preferably the popular ones that are used often or at least most seasons) Thanks guys.

The Mercedes is the GT3 that goons have mostly gravitated towards, and Nurburgring/Spa/Monza are pretty much on every Blancpain schedule since forever since the real life season visits them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
You're a gent. Is the Blancpain easily reachable from rookie class? (Is it a long way away?)