Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My wife has also asked that we get through all the movies, in order. And while I'm happy to oblige her, I always have to preface it with "We'll be going through the worst movies first, so yeah."

And then we never end up watching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fast forward to the podrace and then end the film. Then fast forward to the Jango Fett dogfight and then end the film. Then fast forward to the high ground and then end the film. Then fast forward to the hallway scene and then end the film.

Then watch them in order

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The full three laps of the podrace with extended racer intros has been the official cut since the 04(?) DVDs if not earlier. Not sure if the VHS release = theatrical release though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that must be it because the last time I watched the whole film all the way through was back in 2012. Only ever had the VHS tape and the film is never played on television.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"In order" is release order :colbert:

Thwomp posted:

But that runs into the problem of prequels: plot armor.

Making Vader a side character in Rogue One allowed them to use him only very sparingly. It also allowed them to use him in ways that maximized his effect without making him critical to the plot.

Same goes for Rebels. He's a major antagonist (although one who only shows up in the season premier and finale) but the focus isn't on him, per se, but his past relationship with Ashoka and what the trials of facing him put Ezra and Kanan through.

If you get a standalone Vader movie, you immediately run into issues of how do you create tension when you know Vader has to survive. Plus all the issues of over-exposure and power creep.

I'm not saying it can't be done but it's a difficult thing to pull off well.

The recent Vader comic was really well received wasn't it?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Everything is better formated like the Intro scrolling text, including nuclear blackmail:

https://brorlandi.github.io/StarWarsIntroCreator/#!/AKjNv0aPr6AB3JyvWHi6

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thwomp posted:

But that runs into the problem of prequels: plot armor.

Making Vader a side character in Rogue One allowed them to use him only very sparingly. It also allowed them to use him in ways that maximized his effect without making him critical to the plot.

Same goes for Rebels. He's a major antagonist (although one who only shows up in the season premier and finale) but the focus isn't on him, per se, but his past relationship with Ashoka and what the trials of facing him put Ezra and Kanan through.

If you get a standalone Vader movie, you immediately run into issues of how do you create tension when you know Vader has to survive. Plus all the issues of over-exposure and power creep.

I'm not saying it can't be done but it's a difficult thing to pull off well.

Make a slasher film where Vader is the villain. The tension is in if the protagonists survive (or who survives). Vader doesn't have to die to be defeated.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Make a slasher film where Vader is the villain. The tension is in if the protagonists survive (or who survives). Vader doesn't have to die to be defeated.

Seriously, this is what I wanted the Vader bit of Episode III to be instead of a cameo and terrible internet joke.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So here's a fun thing I found.
Fanfilm acting aside, that is some pretty neat looking CGI.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've got a soft spot for fan films. I still can't beleive the IMPS guys are plugging away at that project.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I loved the animated Tales from the New Republic trailer from about a decade ago. And Trooper and George Lucas in Love are classics.

I forget the name of it, but back in the early 2000s (possibly even pre-AOTC, definitely pre-ROTS) I remember seeing a mockumentary about Jedi street preachers in Auckland. The highlight of it was an unstaged segment where they got into an argument with actual born-again Christian street preachers about whether Luke Skywalker or Jesus was the real messiah. I wish I could remember where I saw it, since it was very much before YouTube made this sort of thing easy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember "Ryan vs Dorkman"? :allears:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The best fan film is still TROOPS, the parody of COPS.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Is Hardware Wars a fan film? That one's good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I still think the Sphere O Fear was a good name for the Death Star.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Deathticle :colbert:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pops Mgee posted:

Deathticle :colbert:

Giant Hurt Ball!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A booby? :confused:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I'm currently on "Shatterpoint" and this is some grimdark poo poo :stare:

I'm wondering if this was written for something else and just adapted to Star Wars in the last minute.

It feels like Warhammer 40k Catachans operating on pre-heresy Pythos.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 24, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shatterpoint is pretty clearly Apocalypse Now In Space

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arcsquad12 posted:

So here's a fun thing I found.
Fanfilm acting aside, that is some pretty neat looking CGI.

Pro-click right here.

StashAugustine posted:

Shatterpoint is pretty clearly Apocalypse Now In Space

Not that that's a bad thing. Actual Samuel L. Jackson has been in Apocalypse Now On An Island, I see no reason why his Star Wars character can do it in space.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shatterpoint is probably my favorite (of the few I read) Star Wars book. It's got my preferred interpretation of what the Dark Side is supposed to be, as well as the most plausible explanation for why the Jedi are so weirdly monastic.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

SirPhoebos posted:

Shatterpoint is probably my favorite (of the few I read) Star Wars book. It's got my preferred interpretation of what the Dark Side is supposed to be, as well as the most plausible explanation for why the Jedi are so weirdly monastic.

Having not read it, could you give a brief summary of both?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Savidudeosoo posted:

Having not read it, could you give a brief summary of both?

The two are intertwined, but Mace Windu explains that when you have the ability to alter reality and change the way people think, a Force-sensitive individual needs to learn to rein in the impulse to try to fix everything for their own mental health. Otherwise, even if he or she has the best and noblest intentions, a Force-user is going to find that mystical powers does not actually solve all the galaxy's problems. Eventually the gulf between what one thinks he or she can achieve and what actually results causes a Force-user to go insane. "The Dark Side" is basically a short-hand for the mentality of trying to treat the Force as nothing but an 'I Win' button.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Which is pretty close to the same poo poo Zahn talked about in the Hand of Thrawn 2-parter. I paraphrase and summarize as the Jedi follow a philosophy of "I listen to the Force, and the Force tells me what to do, therefore I am right" vs the Sith going "I tell the Force what to do, because I am right". Eventually on one side you get a twisted and mutated Darth Sidious giving the order to blow up entire planets.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What if Rogue One had started with the Battle of Scarif and then instead of dying, Rogue One played the most dangerous game of phone tag possible as they keep handing off the plans to different ships to throw off pursuit?

Edit: is this what it feels like when people feel the need to "fix" their partners?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 25, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Which is pretty close to the same poo poo Zahn talked about in the Hand of Thrawn 2-parter. I paraphrase and summarize as the Jedi follow a philosophy of "I listen to the Force, and the Force tells me what to do, therefore I am right" vs the Sith going "I tell the Force what to do, because I am right". Eventually on one side you get a twisted and mutated Darth Sidious giving the order to blow up entire planets.

Also kinda fits with Kreia's "gently caress the Force no gods no masters" schtick

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Didn't it also touch on something along the lines of using the force for big displays of power makes you, if not dark side, then a bit blinded to the more subtle guiding aspects of the force? I thought that was a neat idea. Especially since Zahn was trying to dial Luke back from being a super-saian force Goku other writers ran with.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Luke seems piss weak in everything I have seen about him. He struggles to make a cooked noodle bend to his will while other Jedis his age could force smash spaceships.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, I keep getting the feeling that being Force-sensitive in Star Wars is a curse, not a blessing. Don't know of any story that takes that mentality, someone strong in the Force who considers it a detriment and just tries to get on with life as a normal person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I keep getting the feeling that being Force-sensitive in Star Wars is a curse, not a blessing. Don't know of any story that takes that mentality, someone strong in the Force who considers it a detriment and just tries to get on with life as a normal person.

EU Leia basically went "yeah I guess I'm force sensitive but that poo poo honestly gets in my way, meh" most of the time. You can assume from TFA that she's probably pretty similar considering she's doing the same ol' poo poo she always did and the only time she displays any Force stuff is feeling her son murder her husband.

Edit: Well, ex-husband I assume? Is there any clarification if they ever actually got divorced? Or hell that they actually got married?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Questionable but probably justified use of the force: Clouding people's minds so they don't recognize you as the most famous Jedi ever.

Dumb poo poo: Rebuilding one of Darth Vader's castles using the force and moving in because you're a weirdo.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Questionable but probably justified use of the force: Clouding people's minds so they don't recognize you as the most famous Jedi ever.

Dumb poo poo: Rebuilding one of Darth Vader's castles using the force and moving in because you're a weirdo.

I honestly wonder if Luke, Rey, and Kylo will be going to Vader's Castle on Mustafar after it got name dropped in Rogue One.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

EU Leia basically went "yeah I guess I'm force sensitive but that poo poo honestly gets in my way, meh" most of the time. You can assume from TFA that she's probably pretty similar considering she's doing the same ol' poo poo she always did and the only time she displays any Force stuff is feeling her son murder her husband.

Edit: Well, ex-husband I assume? Is there any clarification if they ever actually got divorced? Or hell that they actually got married?

They did get married, and were still at least legally so as of Episode VII. They were just rather estranged

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Canemacar posted:

I honestly wonder if Luke, Rey, and Kylo will be going to Vader's Castle on Mustafar after it got name dropped in Rogue One.

Rogue One is amusing in some respects. You just know that every subsequent game and movie is going to have u-wings, Imperial battle droids, and that hovertank and act like they've always been there because suddenly they've been on screen.

A concept art book for Force Awakens is very disappointing in that it shows a bunch of vehicles from the EU that were at one point conceived of being in the movie like Gladiator class star destroyers and TIE defenders and dark troopers, but were all discarded in favor of traditional and recognizable designs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Concept art is always better than the final product.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Cythereal posted:

I pretty much only exist in this thread to slob the knob of Kyle Katarn, but after the events of Jedi Knight he says "screw it" and suppresses anything to do with the force. Obviously that only lasts until some dinosaur dude kidnaps his girlfriend, but it fits.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Just finished "The Medstar Duology"

It's essentially MASH set in Star Wars and it's just adorable :allears:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Catberry posted:

Just finished "The Medstar Duology"

It's essentially MASH set in Star Wars and it's just adorable :allears:

While not Star Wars, if you liked MedStar you might like James White's Sector General series of novels. He wrote about a dozen of them from the early 1960s to the 1990s. They're set on a space station hospital with a mixed-species group of doctors performing surgeries on mixed-species patients while dealing with space station bureaucracy. They're really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Chairman Capone posted:

While not Star Wars, if you liked MedStar you might like James White's Sector General series of novels. He wrote about a dozen of them from the early 1960s to the 1990s. They're set on a space station hospital with a mixed-species group of doctors performing surgeries on mixed-species patients while dealing with space station bureaucracy. They're really fun.

I'll certainly check those out then!