Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

My ancient monoprice HDMI switch and the PS4 Pro I bought recently have very suddenly decided not to negotiate with my ancient BenQ TN. Right before the climatic battle of Horizon Zero Dawn. It's like they want me to start the dreaded upgrade chain well before I think the tech is reasonable.

Disabled HDCP after bypassing the switch, finished HZD, and I will wait for a HDR10 ultra wide 1440p monitor with reasonable input interfaces.

That's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

Just confirming what I predicted earlier in the thread. Unfortunately this means it's probably poo poo, if the trend continues.

Are VAs still poo poo? I thought there were some advantages (with the cons not as bad as older VAs) in some of the newer 100hz freesync VA panels over IPS. Also doesnt AOC have a high refresh 35 inch VA g sync panel. Havent heard much about it.

To me it seems like VA is completely fine if youre just gaming.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Green Gloves posted:

Are VAs still poo poo? I thought there were some advantages (with the cons not as bad as older VAs) in some of the newer 100hz freesync VA panels over IPS. Also doesnt AOC have a high refresh 35 inch VA g sync panel. Havent heard much about it.

Sort of the opposite of that actually, VA still has problems with slow pixel response times, so you can get blurring and ghosting.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Green Gloves posted:

VAs do have some advantages over IPS, most notably the absence of IPS glow, and the (generally) much better contrast ratios; a decent VA should be able to get around 2000:1 contrast, while most IPSs are around 1000:1. VAs, while better than TNs, are sadly subject to more off-angle color skew than IPSs, and no one has yet entirely solved the issue of back light bleed.

Green Gloves posted:

As AVeryLargeRadish notes, this is sadly not always the case. One of the biggest limitations for the current batch of high-Hz VA panels is that the overdrive characteristics required in order to reduce pixel response times (and thus motion blur) aren't entirely effective, and leave a problematic portion of pixel transitions above 45ms (by comparison, a "good" low-blur panel will keep times below 10-15ms), which produces obvious "trailing" during a black -> gray transition. For example, anything with a black border moving around against a not-black background. It's easier to just look at the pictures. Compare:

X34, look at the "normal" photo and notice how crisp and clear it is: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm#response_times
AG352UCG, look at the "medium" photo and notice the substantial trailing: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_agon_ag352ucg.htm#overdrive

Now, that said, it may not be bad enough to really bother you, particularly if you don't play fast paced FPS games or the like. For example, I imagine it would probably be perfectly fine for playing LoL/DoTA on, or watching most movies. But for the moment, IPS panels have a definite edge in their performance characteristics when it comes to gaming, which is sad because I'd love a 2k:1 contrast monitor (don't talk to me about OLEDs until they're under $2000).

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
http://www.microcenter.com/product/474802/cz340ck_34_curved_ultrawide_qhd_ips_led_display_monitor

Any goons with a microcenter nearby seen this monitor before. I looked up the specs and it says that it has adaptive sync instead of freesync but from what I've read freesync is just an implementation of adaptive sync with some additional AMD standards to be called freesync.

Looks like a pretty good deal at $600. Brand new with 3 year warranty.

I also noticed the Samsung CF791 is on sale on Ebay for $729.99. It has by far my favorite design matches my case and my future white desk too.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
FreeSync is, indeed, layered on top of AdaptiveSync, but there's a good bit that AMD's layers add--I'd frankly be fairly curious to see how bare AdaptiveSync works out on it.

That said, a 34" curved IPS 75Hz monitor for $600 brand new isn't bad, but do be aware that you're within spitting distance of a refurbed X34 (~$700-$750) at that point; particularly if you have to pay tax.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

DrDork posted:

FreeSync is, indeed, layered on top of AdaptiveSync, but there's a good bit that AMD's layers add--I'd frankly be fairly curious to see how bare AdaptiveSync works out on it.

That said, a 34" curved IPS 75Hz monitor for $600 brand new isn't bad, but do be aware that you're within spitting distance of a refurbed X34 (~$700-$750) at that point; particularly if you have to pay tax.

I have to pay tax on everything Acer refurb. Also it feels a lot more safe getting a brand new monitor with a 3 year warranty over a refurb lotto.

I want to stick with AMD for now dont really want to buy a new graphics card.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It's completely fair to feel that way. The refurb lotto can be annoying, but even a 90d warranty is more than long enough to play the lotto until you get one you like--it's just a hassle. Then again, as a new monitor we have no idea how the QA on that Microcenter one is gonna turn out (though at least you can return it to a B&M store).

Taxes, I was talking more Acer's eBay store, which often times updates more frequently than the Acer Outlet website does.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any 10-bit color IPS monitors that do ok for gaming but aren't 4k? I have a Nvidia card and currently have Gsync and like it, but I could easily live without it.
I know Nvidia is being poo poo and insisting on these high-end displays that require extra bells and whistles. I guess what I'm wondering, is for games such as Tomb Raider and Hitman, would I be ok?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Swartz posted:

Are there any 10-bit color IPS monitors that do ok for gaming but aren't 4k? I have a Nvidia card and currently have Gsync and like it, but I could easily live without it.
I know Nvidia is being poo poo and insisting on these high-end displays that require extra bells and whistles. I guess what I'm wondering, is for games such as Tomb Raider and Hitman, would I be ok?

If you're looking for a "gaming" IPS then no, nothing on the market yet as far as I know.

There are few enough models of 144/165 Hz IPS monitors on the market as it is - there is really only a single source for the panels that go into these monitors, a company called AU Optronics, and you can have any configuration you want, as long as you want the single configuration they make (I joke, there are two, there is the 34" IPS panel that goes into the X34s too).

Since HDR is an "image quality" feature you'll see it on the 4K monitors first. Maybe there will be newer revisions of the 1440p gaming panels over the next year or so, who knows.

Now that said, if you don't mind the response times typical to 60 Hz IPS panels, Dell does have a 1440p model with HDR. You can game on it, it'll just be 60 Hz, and have a little more ghosting than a 144/165 Hz "gaming" panel would.

edit: Reviews don't seem good though. They speculate it's using the same panel as the U2717D, which was tested by TFT Central. Pay specific attention to the "response times" and "gaming" sections.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 7, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I know it has been discussed to death but is Acer still the go to for gsync high refresh 1440p/IPS monitors? I know there has been some more releases recently but not sure how they stack up. Mostly concerned about the so called panel lottery still.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 7, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

B-Mac posted:

I know it has been discussed to death but is Acer still the go to for high refresh 1440p/IPS monitors? I know there has been some more releases recently but not sure how they stack up. Mostly concerned about the so called panel lottery still.

IIRC, most of the panels Acer uses are fine these days, I mean, if you go all out looking for any flaw whatsoever you'll find stuff but for gaming, everyday use and so on they are just fine.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IIRC, most of the panels Acer uses are fine these days, I mean, if you go all out looking for any flaw whatsoever you'll find stuff but for gaming, everyday use and so on they are just fine.

Thanks. Forgot to put gsync in there as well if it makes a difference.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

I know it has been discussed to death but is Acer still the go to for high refresh 1440p/IPS monitors? I know there has been some more releases recently but not sure how they stack up. Mostly concerned about the so called panel lottery still.

Acer and Asus are both go-tos for GSync 1440p/IPS monitors. Their quality control and build quality are both kinda hit-and-miss but acceptable. Acer's quality is probably a little below Asus, but Asus doesn't have a channel like AcerRecertified where they dump refurbs cheaply.

For TN, the Dell S2716DG and S2417DG are the best options if you can stomach the price (it's a lot to pay for a TN monitor).

There are some other options with FreeSync, Nixeus just put out a 27" 1440p 144 Hz IPS panel that's supposed to be pretty nice.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 7, 2017

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you're looking for a "gaming" IPS then no, nothing on the market yet as far as I know.

There are few enough models of 144/165 Hz IPS monitors on the market as it is - there is really only a single source for the panels that go into these monitors, a company called AU Optronics, and you can have any configuration you want, as long as you want the single configuration they make (I joke, there are two, there is the 34" IPS panel that goes into the X34s too).

Since HDR is an "image quality" feature you'll see it on the 4K monitors first. Maybe there will be newer revisions of the 1440p gaming panels over the next year or so, who knows.

Now that said, if you don't mind the response times typical to 60 Hz IPS panels, Dell does have a 1440p model with HDR. You can game on it, it'll just be 60 Hz, and have a little more ghosting than a 144/165 Hz "gaming" panel would.

edit: Reviews don't seem good though. They speculate it's using the same panel as the U2717D, which was tested by TFT Central. Pay specific attention to the "response times" and "gaming" sections.

Thank you.

I'll wait another year, assuming I'm not going to be grabbed by the balls and required to upgrade to 4k.

BTW, I live your avatar.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This is pretty much the right answer at this point. If you want IPS there aren't really any other options, and quality has improved a lot since the early days.

You used to hear about people with dirt and hair and poo poo inside the panels, tons of dead pixels, etc. poo poo that should never have passed QC.

That's over now. At this point in time, "bad luck" is getting a dead pixel or having some IPS glow/backlight bleed.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 7, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Thanks guys. Thinking about snagging a use 980ti/1070 and a and IPS gsync monitor or going full moron and getting a 1080ti if I can't one of those used.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
FWIW I got the S27DG16 after my busted refurb XB271HU was refunded, and it being a TN panel is not something I feel I've had to "stomach". It really looks fantastic and unless you need perfect color accuracy, you'd have to do some serious pixel peeping to really notice any major faults.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
TN monitors have gotten really good lately

but i'll still point at laugh at a sucker that bought one in tyool 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kibbles n Shits posted:

FWIW I got the S27DG16 after my busted refurb XB271HU was refunded, and it being a TN panel is not something I feel I've had to "stomach". It really looks fantastic and unless you need perfect color accuracy, you'd have to do some serious pixel peeping to really notice any major faults.

Yeah, absolutely, it's really close to IPS. I've compared it against my Dell P2715Q IPS monitor, which is a whiz-bang professional IPS 4K panel that's pre-calibrated and all that poo poo, the S2716DG isn't quite as good but it's really close and you'd have to know what you're looking for to tell (even still you'd probably need to compare side by side). The P2715Q is slightly more vibrant/contrasty at a given level of brightness (higher brightness washes out colors).

I actually never compared it head-to-head with my XB270HU, I doubt the XB270HU is as nice as the P2715Q either, so really the S2716DG is probably almost the same image quality as the XB270HU.

A lot of people have a thing against paying $400+ for a TN monitor on general principle though.

My biggest complaint was viewing angle, if you move around you do get a bit of color shift on the edges. 27" is getting pretty big for a TN panel and if you go any larger you'd probably want some curve.

Swartz posted:

BTW, I live your avatar.

Me too. Someone made that and replaced a red-text avatar for me, no idea who but it's great.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 7, 2017

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

but i'll still point at laugh at a sucker that bought one in tyool 2017

I wanted 144hz, 1440p, and Gsync. (And 27"). The XB271HU fit the bill perfectly, but after receiving it with a damaged panel I decided not to chance it again. For the feature set I got, I don't feel $400 was unreasonable.

Edit: I also feel like it's easier on my eyes, but I didn't play around with the brightness on the Acer too much, I was too busy packing it back up to RMA it :v:

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 7, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Truga posted:

TNSome Dell TN monitors have gotten really good lately

There are still plenty of trash TN monitors out there, sadly.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I've got an itch to replace my Dell U2713 with something like a Acer Predator XB271HU (the IPS one), but aside from Gsync is there really any other improvement? I've heard good things about Gsync, but I've never had a chance to see it in person.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
http://www.microcenter.com/product/478859/xf270hu_27_wqhd_led_display_monitor_w-_freesync

Lowest Ive ever seen for a brand new 27" 1440p 144hz freesync panel. Definitely worth it if you have AMD or dont care for gsync.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

I've got an itch to replace my Dell U2713 with something like a Acer Predator XB271HU (the IPS one), but aside from Gsync is there really any other improvement? I've heard good things about Gsync, but I've never had a chance to see it in person.

I'm a total Gsync convert. Assuming your machine can't max out the FPS of the games you play at 60 or 144 (or whatever the refresh rate of the monitor you buy is), it does provide a noticeably smoother and more immersive experience. Gone are the days of tearing and stuttering that result from fluctuating FPS, so long as it stays above ~45 I really never notice it that much. I could live without it, but I don't want to anymore.

But yea if all you play is Overwatch or something that can get a bazillion FPS on a potato, Gsync won't do anything for you.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I'm a total Gsync convert. Assuming your machine can't max out the FPS of the games you play at 60 or 144, it does provide a noticeably smoother and more immersive experience. Gone are the days of tearing and stuttering that result from fluctuating FPS, so long as it stays above ~45 I really never notice it that much. I could live without it, but I don't want to anymore.

But yea if all you play is Overwatch or something that can get a bazillion FPS on a potato, Gsync won't do anything for you.

Yup. If you're running under 60fps it's like adding a free 30fps (not in terms of twitch gameplay but in terms of smoothness).

What was the damage on your XB271HU, by the way? Damaged in shipment, or is this something they should have spotted while refurbing it?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

Is an extra 84Hz not enough of an improvement?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yup. If you're running under 60fps it's like adding a free 30fps (not in terms of twitch gameplay but in terms of smoothness).

What was the damage on your XB271HU, by the way? Damaged in shipment, or is this something they should have spotted while refurbing it?

It had a crack in the panel, with several dead pixels behind it. Hell of a defect to go unnoticed while inspecting it, so I guess it must have been damaged during transit somehow.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've heard several horror stories about acer refurbs being straight up broken. My x34 had random rubber bands on all of the cords and some weird dust on the housing but was otherwise flawless.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm convinced Acer doesn't actually do anything at all to the returned monitors before selling as refurbished. If you buy one now you might get the completely broken one I sent back a couple weeks ago

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

My XB271HU is literally flawless. My XR341CK hums at low brightness. I didn't notice that in time and it's not a big deal.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Yea I'm torn between the gsync Acer and viewsonic panels. Heard good things about both of them. Sold my fury for $340 and snagged a used 1080 Evga for $410.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

my pg279q arrived and now it is all set up and it is the best thing ever and i love it. im just making circles with the mouse cursor and scrolling the forums up and down to enjoy the 165hz. cant wait to try gsync in a game

now that i have two different monitors, i'd like to try calibrating them. the op says to get a huey pro but that appears to be out of production, is there a new cheap calibrator i should look at? i'm using the recommended osd settings for both monitors from tftcentral but there's still a noticeable difference in their color

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I never did get to try NVIDIA 3D Vision on the S2716DG, if one of you TN burnouts ever catches an upgrade to IPS let me know.

The S2716DG was a fantastic monitor, it did have view angle issues but it was a sharp fast TN panel with really good color and GSync and great build quality. It also had the 2nd gen Gsync module (extra inputs) and a zero-bezel.

Downside, like most Dells it didn't obey the DisplayPort spec, i.e. you don't disconnect when you're powered off.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
My Nixeus just arrived today, and just wow. Build quality seems solid. It's got a hefty stand. No dead pixels. Minimal back light bleed.
Now I just need AMD Vega to release. For now this Rx 580 is hitting 144fps in Warframe, it's glorious. :awesomelon:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/nixeus-27-ips-144hz-freesync-gaming-monitor

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I was looking at the PG279Q on Asus' website. Why does the product listing try to convince me that blue light will hurt me?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Copper Vein posted:

I was looking at the PG279Q on Asus' website. Why does the product listing try to convince me that blue light will hurt me?

Well, it disrupts your circadian rhythms at night, which could indeed affect your sleep and in turn your health.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Copper Vein posted:

Because it doesn't have much else going for it compared to the XB271HU.

In all seriousness, some people do find reduced blue light to reduce eye fatigue, and there's some research saying that exposure to large amounts of blue light shortly before bed interferes with your ability to get to sleep, and it's an easy feature to throw in there to capitalise on.

Of course the trade-off is it royally fucks with colors and looks like rear end (and most of the effect can be approximated via software color-management tools on any monitor you want), but hey, checkbox options.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I never did get to try NVIDIA 3D Vision on the S2716DG, if one of you TN burnouts ever catches an upgrade to IPS let me know.

The S2716DG was a fantastic monitor, it did have view angle issues but it was a sharp fast TN panel with really good color and GSync and great build quality. It also had the 2nd gen Gsync module (extra inputs) and a zero-bezel.

Downside, like most Dells it didn't obey the DisplayPort spec, i.e. you don't disconnect when you're powered off.

Downside? Windows not moving all my poo poo around just because I only want one on right now because I'm playing a game or just want to wind down for the day and don't want the extra light is a bonus IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I need help figuring something out, thread. Watching this 100% sick Overwatch gif on my gaming laptop is much much smoother than my 1080p external monitor. Both are 60Hz IPS panels, but my monitor is just way more choppy than my laptop even watching them side-by-side. What is going on here? I would like to know because I'm hoping to buy some monitors this year for home & work.

tyvm thread!