Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Didn't Plastic Man survive being blown into constituent molecules and scattered across the ocean floor for decades one time?

It was like 3000 years or something silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Didn't Plastic Man survive being blown into constituent molecules and scattered across the ocean floor for decades one time?

Again, Joe Kelly's run.

e: just because I came across it right now:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Dark Knight Strikes Again is mostly just a really weird book(although I have a soft spot for it since I first read it before I did Dark Knight Returns), but one thing it does well is give nice little moments to the heroes in it that aren't the Trinity, Plastic Man in particular gets some great moments

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Ashcans posted:

Wouldn't that apply to Superman, too? He's not actually superpowered, he's just a regular Kryptonian, it's just that all Kryptonians are awesome when on Earth, right?

Although I recognize that depowering people like Flash and Black Canary and leaving Superman/Supergirl fine wouldn't really work.

Edit: Wait, why would Green Lantern be depowered? He's not superpowered himself, he just has a device that provides him with access to Lantern abilities, it's basically just a super-cool space utility belt, right? If he loses it or it runs out of juice he's just a dude.

This is the problem with "everyone gets depowered" plotlines. It doesn't make sense in a world where everyone's powers and origins are so different that it's hard to even define what counts as a power.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the DCU, most earth born metahumans owe their powers to the "Meta-gene." A clumsy explanation for why humans develop powers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

In the DCU, most earth born metahumans owe their powers to the "Meta-gene." A clumsy explanation for why humans develop powers.

Yeah, that was always one of those "let's explain something that didn't need explaining" things. In Marvel terms it would explain why Peter Parker got spider powers but most people would only get something between an annoying rash and cancer if they were bit by a radioactive spider. But it turns out most readers don't give a poo poo about that kinda thing.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Well, they can't just say "mutant."

E: I was actually thinking about the meta-gene recently because the latest Doom Patrol references Invasion!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hup posted:

Well, they can't just say "mutant."

E: I was actually thinking about the meta-gene recently because the latest Doom Patrol references Invasion!

But it's not even like being a mutant where you get your first wet dream and lasers shoot out of your eyes at the same time. You still need to be near an exploding laboratory or stumble into a voodoo ritual for it to activate or whatever. It makes things more complicated without explaining anything anyone cared about.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Skwirl posted:

But it's not even like being a mutant where you get your first wet dream and lasers shoot out of your eyes at the same time. You still need to be near an exploding laboratory or stumble into a voodoo ritual for it to activate or whatever. It makes things more complicated without explaining anything anyone cared about.

It explains why the government doesn't just mass produce super-heros by irradiating soldiers. Most people would just die if you dunk them in a pool of toxic waste.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Metagene is a fine concept. "It doesn't need to be explained" doesn't really work when there are otherwise fairly easy replicatable origins and it isn't like it overly complicates things, it just clarifies that origins don't work for everyone and thus you don't have to explain why Superman doesn't start drinking Gingold Extract to become Super-ElongatedMan or whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Superman with white lantern ring and Dr. Fate's helmet vs cave-Batman with stick.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lurdiak posted:

Superman with white lantern ring and Dr. Fate's helmet vs cave-Batman with stick.

Saitama.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How much prep time does cave-Batman have?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Infinitum posted:

How much prep time does cave-Batman have?
He doesn't need any. He has a contingency plan (multiple plans, actually) for precisely this situation.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
And then the whole meta-gene thing gets double funny when that's basically 100% the core behind the Earth X series over at Marvel as well...Every human has a meta-gene that when exposed to the right stimuli (super serum, adolescence, radiation, terrigen mists, etc) they develop their own powers. Unlike in DC, they really mean EVERY human.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If Superman lost his powers wouldn't he sort of... become Batman? Train really hard, get some technology together and go beat the crap out of people?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

If Superman lost his powers wouldn't he sort of... become Batman? Train really hard, get some technology together and go beat the crap out of people?

That's what J'onn does in Act Of God, I believe.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Heck that's basically the point of the Nightwing & Flamebird stories back in the Silver Age

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

drrockso20 posted:

Heck that's basically the point of the Nightwing & Flamebird stories back in the Silver Age

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about that until I saw those names and went and looked up some panels online. Back in the 1970s the local bookstore would often sell bags of comic books, many stripped of their cover. My brother and I would gorge on them now and then and pile up loads of 1960s stuff for cheap.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Gaz-L posted:

That's what J'onn does in Act Of God, I believe.

J'onn, Aquaman, and two or three other people all train with Batman and develop the stupidest goddamn vigilante hero gimmicks. I wish I had the page the post of them all introducing themselves, it's so bad.

vvvvvv That's the one, good lord.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 17, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

J'onn, Aquaman, and two or three other people all train with Batman and develop the stupidest goddamn vigilante hero gimmicks. I wish I had the page the post of them all introducing themselves, it's so bad.

Oh, you mean this one?

Formerly Aquaman, King of Atlantis and Lord of the Seas...now...The Hand!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

How pissed is Aquaman The Hand that Wally got to go ahead of him in the gimmick line and swiped the trident? I mean Arthur already knew how to use one of those, that's just petty!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ashcans posted:

How pissed is Aquaman The Hand that Wally got to go ahead of him in the gimmick line and swiped the trident? I mean Arthur already knew how to use one of those, that's just petty!

Tridents are a two handed weapon, kinda need two hands for it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Well, that page inspired revulsion in me, so I guess it deserves to be in this thread, good job.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, you mean this one?

All this stupid edgy bullshit being in front of the giant penny just wonderfully encapsulates everything wrong with this kind of writing. If I didn't know better, I'd almost assume the irony was intentional.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

All this stupid edgy bullshit being in front of the giant penny just wonderfully encapsulates everything wrong with this kind of writing. If I didn't know better, I'd almost assume the irony was intentional.
The whole thesis statement of the comic is "superpower guys bad, non-powered people who don't suck up to Batman lame, Batman awesome".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then it just steals the ending from Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Gologle posted:

Well, that page inspired revulsion in me, so I guess it deserves to be in this thread, good job.

Yeah, I'm sorry for drawing that out, at least that page ended up where it belongs, in the funny panels thread.

In the meantime, it inspired me to look at better comics, like Top Ten. I loved Joe PI the robot detective as a character and his interactions with Irma's kids were adorable.

Top Ten #11

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 18, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, you mean this one?

Sometimes comics are good.

Sometimes comics are.. not so good.

Like Master Race not good

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Skwirl posted:

Tridents are a two handed weapon, kinda need two hands for it.

He could have gotten a trident hand.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

He could have gotten a trident hand.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Perry Normal posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry for drawing that out, at least that page ended up where it belongs, in the funny panels thread.

In the meantime, it inspired me to look at better comics, like Top Ten. I loved Joe PI the robot detective as a character and his interactions with Irma's kids were adorable.

Top Ten is so so good. I wish there was more of it than there is. But on the other hand that's definitely the sort of series that was already running out of the ability to sustain its own quality by its end. ah well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's not a trident!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, you mean this one?

Also worth pointing out: Depowered Supergirl became a cop, but gave that up to become that.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Does anyone have that page from Top Ten where the giant space chesspiece helps a man come to terms with his impending death? To anyone who hasn't read it that previous sentence sounds ridiculous, but it was a great panel.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Does anyone have that page from Top Ten where the giant space chesspiece helps a man come to terms with his impending death? To anyone who hasn't read it that previous sentence sounds ridiculous, but it was a great panel.

Here you go. Context: In this world, everyone has some sort of superpower. Several people with teleportation abilities got into a grisly traffic accident and there wasn't anything the medics could do but wait for them to die. The human is an Adam Strange type, the big horse guy is a knight in a cosmic chess game.

Top Ten #8

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, you mean this one?

"shock-value appearance"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elfface posted:

Also worth pointing out: Depowered Supergirl became a cop, but gave that up to become that.

Also worth mentioning is that Supergirl isn't a Kryptonian, and instead has an origin that is honestly just plain messy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Also worth mentioning is that Supergirl isn't a Kryptonian, and instead has an origin that is honestly just plain messy

Oh, is that the one that's a shapeshifter from an alternate dimension that used to date Lex Luthor Jr, who in turn was Lex Luthor's brain in a cloned body pretending to be his own son? (And people bitch about X-Men continuity)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Oh, is that the one that's a shapeshifter from an alternate dimension that used to date Lex Luthor Jr, who in turn was Lex Luthor's brain in a cloned body pretending to be his own son? (And people bitch about X-Men continuity)

She later merged with both a human woman and an angel, cause comics