Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Let's see if we can take the Deathlorian to 88

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I predict 20 deaths.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'll go with 11 Deaths

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

10 is just one above zero deaths, so I'll go with that.

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON
There will be exactly 16 deaths on Ep 4.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I hazard to guess because how many maps are in it?

I guess 42.

A4 Steak Sauce
May 9, 2016
Okay, judging by what I played of episode four, and the skill that Temin has showed off, I'll go with a safe 15 deaths.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'll go for an even 10

Apologies to anybody who already picked that number, I just can't be :butt: to check.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'd say 11 is pretty reasonable.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

mauman posted:

I'll go for an even 10

Apologies to anybody who already picked that number, I just can't be :butt: to check.
For shame, making me check for you!

THE BAR posted:

10 is just one above zero deaths, so I'll go with that.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk
Random question: there was a game like this LPed years ago that was a first person doom like but with medieval weapons and spells etc.

Anyone happen to know theach name of that game off the top of their heads? There was talk of it being rerealease by the original creator as it didn't sell well originally.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Sushi Face posted:

Random question: there was a game like this LPed years ago that was a first person doom like but with medieval weapons and spells etc.

Anyone happen to know theach name of that game off the top of their heads? There was talk of it being rerealease by the original creator as it didn't sell well originally.

That sounds like Heretic, which has been done in this thread. Could be a different but similar game though, in which case I have no idea.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sushi Face posted:

Amulets and Armor.

Could also be Hexen or Heretic, but Amulets and Armor had an LP a while back where the designer chimed in and the game sold almost no copies.

It's also legally available for free if anyone wants to try it.

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk

Stephen9001 posted:

That sounds like Heretic, which has been done in this thread. Could be a different but similar game though, in which case I have no idea.

Cheers but sadly it's something else. I remember they were doing it coop and the game had a strange loot/inventory system. May be lost to the abyss though.

Enjoying these videos guys. Keep it up.

Edit: Amulets and Armour! That's the one!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Amulets and Armor did get some patches and new releases after the LP, but the creators have dropped off the planet over the last few years. Maybe they'll come back with their promised windows version soon :v:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
7 deaths, because the low numbers haven't been all taken yet and this is not a pack of wads.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
288 deaths. Because look at my username.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
2288 deaths, because I looked at Bman's username.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Can i change my guess from 69 to Fish Noise because I looked at Fish Noise's username?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'll scream out 19 deaths in a mildly aroused voice.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Did anyone say 21 deaths? If not I'll say that.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Let's kick off the commercial games with something obscsure!

The Lost Episodes of Doom (Part 1/3)

Just gonna get through this one real quick, then it's on to episode 4!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

What on Earth was all that pizza jingle chat about

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's their thing. Pizza and wings. Only at Pizza Plus.

Assuming I doxxed them to the right pizza place. I'm sorry, I had had to hear a bad pizza jingle.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQeQe59y_qQ
Just a local pizza place. We showed Coffee the commercial and he got a kick out of it.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
It's me, the fourth Nevada goon. Shame for not mentioning the best local jingle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sStabmI2YO8

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oooh, the Lost Episodes - I forgot those things existed, that's a blast from the past. I actually had that book, it was fantastic for my second-grade-of-elementary-school imagination, especially since I had Doom but not this .wad.
I'm still amazed someone thought to translate this thing into a fairly obscure European language, wonder if they bothered actually getting the rights.

e: I remember encountering the word "telefrag" for the very first time in this book, since the translator had no idea what it meant and it kinda stuck out. I didn't learn its meaning until Quake.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 25, 2017

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Lost Episodes of Doom Part 2/3

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

It's me, the fourth Nevada goon. Shame for not mentioning the best local jingle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sStabmI2YO8

Heyyyy, didn't think I'd actually see anyone local posting here. While this jingle is great, there's a ton of great ones on radio commercials. I gotta find a way to get my hands on those.

anilEhilated posted:

Oooh, the Lost Episodes - I forgot those things existed, that's a blast from the past. I actually had that book, it was fantastic for my second-grade-of-elementary-school imagination, especially since I had Doom but not this .wad.
I'm still amazed someone thought to translate this thing into a fairly obscure European language, wonder if they bothered actually getting the rights.

e: I remember encountering the word "telefrag" for the very first time in this book, since the translator had no idea what it meant and it kinda stuck out. I didn't learn its meaning until Quake.
That's actually really cool. I'm actually surprised that anyone would recognize this wad. Do you still happen to have the book by chance?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Haha wow, that's a blast from the past. I actually still have this book - Kept it for the goofy nostalgia factor. Lost the disks with the WAD long, long ago though. I remember the level design being... Inconsistent. A lot of the maps were pretty good but I remember a few reminded me of early Fiffy-esque tripe. Then again I may be misremembering.

I don't have a scanner but may be inclined to take a few pictures later if I find anything noteworthy while flipping through it.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 26, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Temin_Dump posted:

That's actually really cool. I'm actually surprised that anyone would recognize this wad. Do you still happen to have the book by chance?
No, long since gone. I think it never made it past elementary school, probably lent it to someone who forgot to return it (which is how I got my hands on the book in the first place so there's some poetic justice in it).
The thing is, this is my first time actually seeing the wad. I read the book and enjoyed it - as a kid I liked reading walkthroughs for games I had no access to, some of them were pretty descriptive and sort of a way to see the story, as a kid you can always fill in the blanks - but the only thing that really stuck in my mind were the episode names, most notably the thing about the Red Spot being the gate to Hell because that's just perfect. Couple years ago I asked around about the episodes with this name and was told it was an obscure .wad from the nineties and not really worth playing through so I'm super glad to see it in action now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey, Nevada now has its first pro sports team! So now you can all goon meet at T-Mobile Arena (assuming you're in Vegas).

That teleporter puzzle to get the Rocket Launcher reminds me of some of the puzzles in Doom 64.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Where better to play hockey than in the middle of the goddamn Mojave desert? They could've at least picked a more inspired name than 'Golden Knights' too... Guess that's just Bettman's way of showing how much he hates Quebec.

Can't wait until the next episode of this semi-offical wad. Where we will apparently be going down to the surface of Jupiter. Don't know if they mean the upper clouddecks or the solid rock core down towards the center of the planet. Not sure what location would be more interesting, really.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Will you be running the Doom novels? We can do a guess on that, I say you will die at least fourteen times due to how shitful they are.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Golbez posted:

Will you be running the Doom novels? We can do a guess on that, I say you will die at least fourteen times due to how shitful they are.

He did.

Though I don't remember if he finished them. I might have blacked out while listening to them.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

mauman posted:

I might have blacked out while listening to them.
I'm pretty sure everybody did, on account of the inexplicable lemon rage.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

mauman posted:

He did.

Though I don't remember if he finished them. I might have blacked out while listening to them.

What!? How did I miss that. I actually purchased those books with real money back in the day and read them all.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Found it:

Front cover from an artist who probably wasn't familiar with Doom, or at least the BFG specifically:

Back cover:

Example walk-through diagram for an upcoming map:

Once you take away the strategy pieces for the wad you're left with an enhanced game manual with a few extra notes tacked on about third party utilities: DEU, DoomCAD, Dehacked v1.3, etc.. All the old URLs to various state university FTP sites listed in the back are quaint. It has a lot more detail than the original retail manual but doesn't come close to something like the DoomFAQ.

And you're right: Map quality really declines as you go on, especially in episode 3.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Is this the chainsaw song?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh yeah! I think I saw that once... really, guides like that used to be all the rage before GameFAQs pretty much killed all strategy guides not bearing the name of Prima; pretty much the way to figure things out to those of us who couldn't get a subscription to gaming magazines. Cheap drawings on the front and everything... they were characterized by their author (or authors') need to wax poetic or stretch their writing skills; sometimes it could be tedious, but a couple were genuinely funny or otherwise had a charming quality in how excited they got about the game. Kinda sweet, really, although some of them did spoil the plot of their game due to getting carried away. Not that that was ever really a problem with Doom, specifically, given that the plot boils down to "Here be demons, kill 'em".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like how simplistic the Lost Episodes puzzles are compared to some of the wads. They're tricky but not tedious.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Where better to play hockey than in the middle of the goddamn Mojave desert? They could've at least picked a more inspired name than 'Golden Knights' too... Guess that's just Bettman's way of showing how much he hates Quebec.
Don't blame Bettman, blame the owner Bill Foley. He wanted to name them the Black Knights because he's a West Point brat, but since they wouldn't allow him to name them that, Golden Knights was the next-best thing because the black and gold is the same color scheme. It's named for his ego, sorta like the one-time Charlotte Bobcats.