Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im having a lot of trouble with getting this to match the dungeonman style so rip

edit: also a dumb mimic i need to draw a body for or something

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
No, the mimic is beautiful just the way it is.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
So I've done the absolute absurd and have read nearly 100 pages of a topic of a game I don't even own

madjack, I just want to say I really appreciate and admire the way you handle yourself as a game designer. Your actual thoughts are interesting and insightful, but it's the way that you communicate, talk through your ideas, and then ultimately (and quickly!) implement said ideas that I really envy

This topic is a really interesting historical record of how the game has transformed over the years, moreso than even most devlogs I've read

Anyway, hopefully that's not too weird, and now that I'm done catching up I think I'll go ahead and buy the dang thing

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Angry Diplomat posted:

No, the mimic is beautiful just the way it is.

what about this one, who doesn't really get mimicry

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 11, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Okay that's pretty good too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Purple Devouring His Map is also perfect just the way he is :allears:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

WarpDogs posted:

So I've done the absolute absurd and have read nearly 100 pages of a topic of a game I don't even own

madjack, I just want to say I really appreciate and admire the way you handle yourself as a game designer. Your actual thoughts are interesting and insightful, but it's the way that you communicate, talk through your ideas, and then ultimately (and quickly!) implement said ideas that I really envy

This topic is a really interesting historical record of how the game has transformed over the years, moreso than even most devlogs I've read

Anyway, hopefully that's not too weird, and now that I'm done catching up I think I'll go ahead and buy the dang thing

Wow, thank you! Being able to be open about ideas and take responsibility for mistakes is one of the biggest joys of indie work. I'm really happy when stuff goes right, but I'm also happy that I know exactly who to point the finger at when stuff goes wrong. World of difference from being on a huge AAA team. I've learned a mountain during dmans and really want to put them to use on new content as well as a new game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Soup du Journey posted:

In what sick pervert world does Dredmor sell 500k+ (a neat game, but unfortunately totally repulsive to me visually...I have a thing about eyebrows) while Dungeonmans languishes in relative obscurity? Maybe the era of whimsical humor in roguelikes has passed? I guess there's just a glut of stuff on the storefront now, which Dredmor didn't really have to contend with maybe? Still, though...

You... have a thing about eyebrows? What, do you just hate them? Do you prefer no eyebrows, or really thin eyebrows? Are people like you the reason my girlfriend rips out 2/3ds of her eyebrows to 'look nice?'

What do you have against eyebrows, is my point.

Temellin
Sep 23, 2007
More like dummelin.
This is a superb game, and I have put too much time into it already - love what you are doing with it!

I was playing on the 1.7a4 build and the Combat Log Density changes are great - but if you have it set to "Less Things" it doesn't show you if your damage is being resisted, whereas with "Everything" enabled you can see it. Any chance we could have the "Less Things" option still show you if a portion of your damage is getting resisted?

Less Things:

Everything:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Temellin posted:

This is a superb game, and I have put too much time into it already - love what you are doing with it!

I was playing on the 1.7a4 build and the Combat Log Density changes are great - but if you have it set to "Less Things" it doesn't show you if your damage is being resisted, whereas with "Everything" enabled you can see it. Any chance we could have the "Less Things" option still show you if a portion of your damage is getting resisted?

Less Things:

Everything:

Good find. I'd like to do that in one line, I wonder how to word it. Maybe a simple (R!) or something, but that could confuse people. Hmm. I'll chew on this, thank you!

The markup text shows those images coming from a discord server! I hope your friends are enjoying the game, I'd be happy to swing by if they have any questions. You can also jump up ons the dmans server: https://discord.gg/0tYnHDpQ7v9rViPD

(lol gonna feel real dumb if those are screens posted in the dmans server that I just didn't see)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:science: Make a Resistance icon and use that on both the screen and in the log

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Heya I just started playing and my is that graveyard getting full.

So a quick question about overworld layout. Is the academy and two dungeons stuck in a corner seperated from most of the dungeons and towns by a huge impassable mountain desert range that I've to detour around usual? It seems pretty inconvenient. Is there anything I should watch out for if I regenerate the overworld?

And as for characters, I'm getting a little better and trying not to multiclass too soon. Most of my melee mans are still dying in dungeons 2 or on the road to bleeding arrows.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
have a plan to deal with ranged guys when the situation doesn't allow you to smack em. usually its having ranged attacks of your own like spells, necromansy, a bow if you're not using shields. you don't have to go hard, a single tree should be fine for splashing in a way to gently caress up inconvenient archers

as long as you're only going down a single armor tree and aren't investing in mutually exclusive equipment or multiple redundant skills your skill spread really should be fine. don't invest actual points in cartography or dungeoneering unless you absolutely know what you're doing though, they are Not Worth It

e: world layout: that sounds a bit extreme, id regenerate the map

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah this is way way better. The old map was just ridiculous compared to this.

Is there any way to drop loot for future dungeonmans at the academy?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
turning in academy items affects all future characters, and there's a wargear vault which lets you store specific set items and legendaries and iirc equipment recovered from dungeonman pyres

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You can sell items to the stores, but your future dungeonmans will have to be able to afford to buy them back, plus they might get sold in the interim (not sure on that point). I remember reading a recommendation that rings were good things to leave for future characters because their sale value is low.

But generally, the Ancient Artifacts stuff is how you gear up new characters. Just go check out a few of 'em from the guy in the museum (with all the monster statues) and you'll get random gear of whatever tier the artifact corresponds to.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
What are you guys using the gold for? I haven't seen anything in the stores worth buying.

Game fuckin' owns by the way.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kinetica posted:

What are you guys using the gold for? I haven't seen anything in the stores worth buying.

Game fuckin' owns by the way.

At the start it is nice to venture a bit out and find unenchanted tier 2 or so armor and weapons. Also in demand potions restocked.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

There are also rare altars that let you sacrifice gold for various stuff (usually random items or a boss to fight), and if you save up a *ton* of gold you can buy books to get extra skills.

Mostly, though, it's so you can buy every healing and escape item in the world.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Consumables. I use towns to shop for high value consumables like healing and champion pots or enchant scrolls a lot more than equipment. Sometimes you'll get lucky, though.

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
I beat the game and noticed how high level guys will teach a skill at the academy, so I wanted to make an academy that would teach every skill. With end game level gear and a high level dungeon near the crystal spire, it was like 10 minutes to get a character to level 12 and retire them. I was disappointed to find that with only 3 or 4 skills left, the teachers ran off the edge of the academy map, so my dreams of a dungeonmans who starts knowing everything was quashed. :(

Guess I'll dive into the infinite dungeon now.

I rarely used money in the game, mostly to buy scrolls of Xespera's Challenge. Gotta get them poofs of strimf!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I buy tons of scrolls and potions. Always be reading and chugging. Not having Combat Blinking or a Champion Potion (or 12) on you is asking for an early retirement. Enchanting trash gear can give you a leg up, too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what does the poof do anyway

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line

Tollymain posted:

Poofs are used to get to the infinite dungeon. Get 500 of them after beating the game, wear the scrobold set you get from beating the boos, go to the scrobold cave and they'll give you this anti-cosmic weapon. It's pretty powerful. If you use a radiant startshard to make it cosmic, it explodes and opens a portal to the infinite dungeon. You get poofs of strimf by using scrolls of Xespera's Challenge on those super wimpy zombies that are outside cemeteries to turn them into champions and they'll drop poofs of strimf instead of proofs of stremf.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BluJay posted:

Poofs are used to get to the infinite dungeon. Get 500 of them after beating the game, wear the scrobold set you get from beating the boos, go to the scrobold cave and they'll give you this anti-cosmic weapon. It's pretty powerful. If you use a radiant startshard to make it cosmic, it explodes and opens a portal to the infinite dungeon. You get poofs of strimf by using scrolls of Xespera's Challenge on those super wimpy zombies that are outside cemeteries to turn them into champions and they'll drop poofs of strimf instead of proofs of stremf.

This sounds like the poo poo people used to make up about the cow level in Diablo 1.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This sounds like the poo poo people used to make up about the cow level in Diablo 1.

The best part is it really does open an infinite superscaling dungeon with super powered gear inside of it that has its own progression system. It can get a bit janky with skill interactions since not all masteries scale as well in there, but it's still both funny and cool, and the dungeon takes the gloves off in terms of what can spawn where and what the layouts are

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Tollymain posted:

Poofs tend to flit around and determine this season's fashion trends.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BluJay posted:

victrix posted:

The best part is it really does open an infinite superscaling dungeon with super powered gear inside of it that has its own progression system. It can get a bit janky with skill interactions since not all masteries scale as well in there, but it's still both funny and cool, and the dungeon takes the gloves off in terms of what can spawn where and what the layouts are

Wait, that was a real answer?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Prism posted:

Wait, that was a real answer?

Yerp!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Exactly the point.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Gotta say, I appreciate your using the Xespera's+crypt trash skeleton interaction that used to just be straight up insane in order to unlock something even more insane :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Help how do I defeat my worst enemy, hubris?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Murder your ego. :black101:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Use your consumables.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

pay to lose so every encounter matters

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

:siren:Two cool things today:siren:

1) Zircon's game is out in Early Access, if ya didn't know: http://store.steampowered.com/app/628770/Tangledeep/
It's awesome, if you like dmans you are very likely to enjoy TD. Zircon is the composer for Dungeonmans, he got so tired of hearing his great music tied to mediocrity that he went off to make his own game! I got to help him a little along the way, as well as do some fiction, dialog, and flavor text writing for TD. Do check it out.

2) Today (19 July 2017) I'm running a gamedev stream for many hours, working on Rangermans love as well as the replacements for Eager, AND... enchanted fists. https://www.twitch.tv/playdungeonmans that happens around 10am pst today, or 30 minutes from right meow.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Drink the Typhoon, first is just a visual upgrade for the power (with sound, in game) and the second is the Fired Up version.

Venomizer -> Pinomizer, holds the enemy in place. First use in a turn does not cost you any AP.

Fired Up Stick n' Move, attack three targets

"Fired Up" is part of the new top-tier Bow enchant. When you shoot, all your Strain drops by 1, and when you crit, you get Fired Up and your next Rangermans ability has a bonus effect.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:allears:

Sakco
Jun 6, 2009
Hey friendly Dungeonmans dev,

the game is amazeballs! I bought it two weeks ago and already have 80+ hours in it. The cemetery had its 18th grave but the time I've finished my first playthrough. Now trying the ironmans mode.

I think I've found a possible xp exploit in the crypt levels. All you need is a lvl 6 char with the hate glacier. Summon it and farm zombies for 38xp (If memory serves me well) a piece. The hate glacier is strong enough to kill them all even though your char gets hit by a zombie now and then. You still get 38xp per zombie even after you level up multiple times as long as you don't leave to the global map. I was able to exploit it semi-successfully by putting a weight on the "." key and reading a book while my char went from lvl 6 to lvl 9. Few mins later I was dead, zombies must have hit me in quick succession. loving karma :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Sakco posted:

I was able to exploit it semi-successfully by putting a weight on the "." key and reading a book while my char went from lvl 6 to lvl 9. Few mins later I was dead, zombies must have hit me in quick succession. loving karma :D

Sounds like working as intended :D

I thought I had set zombies to noxp/nodrop, maybe not. Thank you for letting me know, I'll take a look.

• Locked thread