Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Robot Danger posted:

Well... the selfie and emoji modes do really suck, though lol

Those are cute and everyone I've played it with loves them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

It's pretty cool that people are saying that Dialed In is fun and/or good. I was worried back when people were all unhappy that a phone-themed game would suck. :)

Yeah agreed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Theme and gameplay doesn't always go hand in hand.

There are plenty of good games built on atrocious licenses (Flintstones, The Shadow), and conversely some strong licenses that got made into pretty mediocre games.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Thread questions:

What is the worst table license that actually went into production?

What would be the worst table license that you can think of?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 26, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Collateral Damage posted:

Theme and gameplay doesn't always go hand in hand.

There are plenty of good games built on atrocious licenses (Flintstones, The Shadow), and conversely some strong licenses that got made into pretty mediocre games.

I was so disappointed when I saw The Shadow in the theater. He only had the scarf over his face for like two minutes, because otherwise you wouldn't know it was Alec Baldwin. :(

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread questions:

What would be the worst table license, if it went into production?

Shaq Attack

And I guess I don't know enough cancelled games to answer number 2 but if we are talking anything ever I'd say "This is Us."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Snacksmaniac posted:

And I guess I don't know enough cancelled games to answer number 2 but if we are talking anything ever I'd say "This is Us."

To clarify I mean any license you can dream up.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Discendo Vox posted:

To clarify I mean any license you can dream up.

"Schindler's List: The Pinball Table"

"The Accused"

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread questions:

Does Whoa Nellie count?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Billy Gnosis posted:

Does Whoa Nellie count?

survey sez not an existing IP that was licensed, so no. Though, now I'm imagining a pinball table that licenses the "Whoa Nellie pinball table" IP....titception.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread questions:

Pabst Can Crusher

Which is a reskinned Whoa Nellie, so it's a terrible license AND a terrible table.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the answer to both is metallica

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Can crusher is fine aside from the insane price.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bewbies posted:

the answer to both is metallica

I played the Metallica table once, and it won't let you listen to "Battery" every single time. :mad:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wheel of Fortune
Big Buck Hunter

GamePlan made a Camel Lights table back in the 70s which is also pretty lol as far as licenses go.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
The Nugent one is pretty up there. I played it at a California Extreme years ago and remember not liking how it played either.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

prefect posted:

I played the Metallica table once, and it won't let you listen to "Battery" every single time. :mad:

I had one for a while. I was pumped battery was even on it!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Wheel of Fortune
Big Buck Hunter

GamePlan made a Camel Lights table back in the 70s which is also pretty lol as far as licenses go.

Wheel of Fortune was worth it just for the moment in Bowen's tutorial where he solved the puzzle "SCORING A JACKPOT IN MULTIBALL" without a single letter.

Anyway, my pick for worst license to make a table from is Barb Wire. My choice for worst table made from a license is also Barb Wire (unless Doctor Who: Master of Time counts).

I have no idea what my pick for worst potential license would be. All I can think of is a Pewdiepie pinball.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Wheel of Fortune is actually really fun and challenging.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread questions:

I cheated and looked up a list*, which in turn taught me that tvtropes has it's own pinball wiki. I think that ones I have played and had the least fun with would be either Monopoly or South Park, but knowing that there's a El Dorado reskin that turns it into a promotion for Canada Dry has to take the cake.

The worst license would be something like "My Dinner With Andre," but a more sporting answer (bad but conceivably possible) would be Loonatics Unleashed

e*: I noticed that the list is incomplete.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 26, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LawfulWaffle posted:

The worst license would be something like "My Dinner With Andre," but a more sporting answer (bad but conceivably possible) would be Loonatics Unleashed

If you can make an arcade game out of it, you can make a pinball game out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V91Y7MRw7eo

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wheel of Fortune is actually really fun and challenging.
It's a decent enough table (though I hate the double gap flippers) but it's still a pretty meh license, especially outside the US.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I cheated and looked up a list*, which in turn taught me that tvtropes has it's own pinball wiki. I think that ones I have played and had the least fun with would be either Monopoly or South Park, but knowing that there's a El Dorado reskin that turns it into a promotion for Canada Dry has to take the cake.
You can search ipdb for games with a theme including "licensed" too, but I feel that list might be incomplete as well.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread questions:

1. South Park (Worst one I ever played, anyways)

2. FATAL the Pinball Table

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Emoji Movie: The Pinball Game

:suicide:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Pabst Can Crusher

Which is a reskinned Whoa Nellie, so it's a terrible license AND a terrible table.

It's not bad if you're looking for a cheap game to play while the rest of the tables in the arcade are jammed up. But my first play on it was at a Project Pabst festival, so I'm probably not biased enough against the license.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Worst existing license: Harley Davidson

Worst dream license: Pokegirls Pinball

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Linkin Park pinball with a Chester Bennington suicide skill shot?
Too soon?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Linkin Park pinball with a Chester Bennington suicide skill shot?
Too soon?

Wouldn't you just shake it until you tilt? Then you have to hang there for a while before you get a new ball...

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wouldn't you just shake it until you tilt? Then you have to hang there for a while before you get a new ball...

When you drain the ball this clip plays:

"I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I like monopoly even if it is extra weird for a lawlor.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It's a decent enough table (though I hate the double gap flippers) but it's still a pretty meh license, especially outside the US.

I love the flipper gap, the whole layout is so funky and fun to play.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

survey sez not an existing IP that was licensed, so no. Though, now I'm imagining a pinball table that licenses the "Whoa Nellie pinball table" IP....titception.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter:_The_Movie_(arcade_game)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

I like monopoly even if it is extra weird for a lawlor.
Pull up a picture of the Whirlwind playfield and a Monopoly playfield side by side and play spot the similarities.

The shot map on them is pretty much identical.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I'd say Dolly Parton was a pretty bad license.

Barbed Wire would also be up there, poo poo table based on a poo poo movie. It also has the destination of bringing down Gottlieb!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Keep going thread, I'm almost there

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
50 Shades of Grey would make a pretty awful pinball license; because it would take forever to get to Wizard Mode.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
And it would be a re-skin of a Twilight table, but with worse graphics, and the rules are even more broken.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If the pinball boom had lasted a little longer, we might have gotten some terrible 90's TV themes, like Full House, Cosby Show, or Walker Texas Ranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

canyoneer posted:

If the pinball boom had lasted a little longer, we might have gotten some terrible 90's TV themes, like Full House, Cosby Show, or Walker Texas Ranger

Full house would've just been an Addams Family reskin, though.