Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Sooooooooo remember how they said they were working on a new X something? I really hope that didn't mean this.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/570420/X_Rebirth_VR_Edition/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

hahahahahah well played Egosoft

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Come on Egosoft, just bury Rebirth and move on. It is already dead.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Orv posted:

Sooooooooo remember how they said they were working on a new X something? I really hope that didn't mean this.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/570420/X_Rebirth_VR_Edition/

jesus christ...

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
They've said a bunch of times already that they're working on both X Rebirth VR and X4.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

They've said a bunch of times already that they're working on both X Rebirth VR and X4.

Indeed. In fact, last msg regarding X4 is from tuesday.

I hope they'll refocus. Aka cut the story crap, just make it static pictures and (proper) VO and skip on unreachable cinematic questlines, instead they should just make a great sandbox again. Doubt that it won't be a mess somewhere though.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I love VR but there's no way it can salvage rebirth, i she as hell wouldn't play it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone here play with the Star Wars Mod? It basically jams a bunch of Star Wars stuff into X3 so YMMV, but here you go: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mikhail-skatchkov

I just got an X-52 Pro, is there a good HOTAS setup/guide anywhere?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ah alright, hadn't heard that. Still amusing/sad to see that it's in early access even.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone played the Evochron games? Are they worth picking up?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone played the Evochron games? Are they worth picking up?

They're decent, if a bit shallow. You can get a demo of the latest one here and try it out for yourself: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/downloads.htm

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I am playing Vanilla AP and just got the Springblossom. My god what a ship. The thing is pure death.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Foo Diddley posted:

They're decent, if a bit shallow. You can get a demo of the latest one here and try it out for yourself: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronlegacy/downloads.htm

Cool, I'll grab it on sale later I think.

I've been playing mostly vanilla TC as a change from AP XRM and wow it feels insanely different. Weirdly enough XRM feels more neutered to me; as a fighter I'm tearing things to pieces that I wasn't in XRM.

I looked up some gameplay videos of X1 and X2 and it's weird how while pretty primitive it's all still there. And how if you cheat enough you can sort of access their stuff in Albion Prelude even.

e: I'm at mission 6 of the Terran Conflict starting plot and dear god is it boring

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 1, 2017

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

Does anyone here play with the Star Wars Mod? It basically jams a bunch of Star Wars stuff into X3 so YMMV, but here you go: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mikhail-skatchkov

I just got an X-52 Pro, is there a good HOTAS setup/guide anywhere?

X52 chat : if you can get the drivers running, I have a set as well, but never got anything working in any game because saitek/madcatz make drivers that don't even work with their hardware.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Really? I've literally never had a problem getting my X52 Pro to work, other than the normal hassle of figuring out a useful set of bindings.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I am playing Vanilla AP and just got the Springblossom. My god what a ship. The thing is pure death.
Definitely a great ship. The best buyable player ship for sure. My number one overall has to be the overtuned hyperion vanguard though. Wraith missiles are fun.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

haldolium posted:

I hope they'll refocus. Aka cut the story crap, just make it static pictures and (proper) VO and skip on unreachable cinematic questlines, instead they should just make a great sandbox again. Doubt that it won't be a mess somewhere though.

Email sent out advertising an XCon with the last one being in 2004. They're still talking X4, but it's kinda muted and they're still pushing that VR thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Filthy Monkey posted:

Definitely a great ship. The best buyable player ship for sure. My number one overall has to be the overtuned hyperion vanguard though. Wraith missiles are fun.

You know I really don't screw around in sectors that aren't Argon, Teladi, or Terran enough. I mostly ignore the Split, Paranid, and Boron (except when doing the Terran stuff that forces them into war).

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I miss the X2 Boron designs for cap ships. Swirly tentacle bits and manta ray designs

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Finally, moving to Germany paid off, as I got my confirmation just now to visit Egosoft on the 26th for X-con, where they'll be showing X4. Might also manage to sneak in to Gamescon on press day, where X4 will be premiered, but that's still up in the air. Anyhow, will report back.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Egosoft just put out the X4 pre-announcement announcement:

X4 Announcement Presentation live on Twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/egosoftofficial

Live on: Saturday 26th 15:00 CEST, 1PM GMT, 9AM EDT

That's 6AM for the left coast for those who can't subtract!

I hope this turns out to be good. Combing through the shitshow that is the Egosoft forums (actually not as toxic of a place as most game forums) I have found some tidbits already.

• multithreading (finally) seriously this is huge for this engine as the single-threadedness has always been the chokepoint for expanding the X series into larger and more realistic sectors/galaxies
  • may have some form of multiplayer but probably not at launch
  • it is meant to be a "return to form of classic X series games" after the abortion we call X-Rebirth
  • being developed in tandem with the Vive/Rift port of X3 Albion Prelude
  • may be released for VR as well
  • new modding tools along with the old script interface tool - *No evidince exists yet for this but I'm hoping they include all the old modding support because the mods always help the X series games become a poo poo ton more fun

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But will the Rift port of X3AP work with the Star Wars Mod, is my question

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How do they have the money to make another X game?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

They didn't have money to be at Gamescom - I looked for them all day. Since they're streamung the announcement and it's a lovely day, I'll forgo going to their HQ and catch up on it later.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lunethex posted:

How do they have the money to make another X game?

X is all they do, and they're not exactly a huge studio. That plus the fact that they were the only ones doing what they do (and arguably still are) basically forever, they're probably fine.

E: There's a couple weird leftovers from Rebirth, like their insistence on the immersion value of you always being a person that flies ships instead of just the ship, so you can walk around on the new stations and stuffs, but it looks good.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 26, 2017

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah I don't get this insistence on walking around in stations when they have to know they don't have the skills or time to make it actually look good and play well. The character models in rebirth were such rear end and the motion was so janky, when you left your ship it was like you were suddenly playing somebody's terrible half life 1 mod

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Not to mention the fact that it just made poo poo take longer and was tedious. Instead of docking at a station, accessing a menu to do your buying and selling, and moving on; you had to dock, get out, run around the station to find all the people you needed, and then get back in your ship and fly away.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Phobeste posted:

Yeah I don't get this insistence on walking around in stations when they have to know they don't have the skills or time to make it actually look good and play well. The character models in rebirth were such rear end and the motion was so janky, when you left your ship it was like you were suddenly playing somebody's terrible half life 1 mod

I was really excited when I heard you could dock and then walk around space ports. Then in game I realized all of the ports and stations were the same models over and over and :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So how'd the twitch go? My hopes for X4 are pretty much just a more self-sufficient AI economy, better combat/fleet controls (it'd be nice if controlling a small carrier or drone frigate wasn't a huge pain even with mods), and more variety in environments or things to find.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

So how'd the twitch go? My hopes for X4 are pretty much just a more self-sufficient AI economy, better combat/fleet controls (it'd be nice if controlling a small carrier or drone frigate wasn't a huge pain even with mods), and more variety in environments or things to find.

info here: http://www.egosoft.com/games/x4/info_en.php
trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIeKMYaIAk

You will be able to fly every ship in the game.
They talked about a teleportation technology you discover, that lets you instantly teleport between your ships. Your ships are piloted by npc, when you teleport to a ship you tell the pilot to go away, take control of the ship, do whatever and when you are done the pilot comes back and resumes whatever order they had before.
Station are modular, you don't plop down "solar station L" but let's say a dock module and you add a storage module, a living quarters, and whatever... you know few modules at the start and discover more of them over time.
The walking in station is "limited" compared to Rebirth, also there are no loading screens between you landing on a station, getting out of your ship and walking around.
Sector/universe map looked similar to the one in Rebirth, maybe? I played only a little of Rebirth so don't really remember :v:

Bernardo Orel fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 26, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That looks like a really good set of features building on the really good things they did with Rebirth in the backend, with how stations actually work and that. Definitely think I might buy this.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/16ca9959696

Here's the twitch stream recording, they show the trailer a number of times but also demo some actual gameplay. Station and ship management looks like an actual game now and not space excel.

Bernardo Orel posted:

Sector/universe map looked similar to the one in Rebirth, maybe? I played only a little of Rebirth so don't really remember :v:

It's the Rebirth system with highways, which honestly I'm fine with

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I liked the Rebirth systems honestly, it could use more empty space to explore but I enjoyed the variety in environments and the highway system was neat.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
While I am encouraged by the direction they are taking, I know better than to buy this game until it's been out long enough for people to identify if it's utter poo poo like Rebirth.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I do like the new system and sector design in Rebirth.

I think the highway system could use some reimagining though. I think it would work better logically for the highways to only be arranged in straight lines like the trade lanes from Freelancer. Not only that but have them accelerate your ship on the first half the decelerate during the second half.

Having curving glowing tubes in space without any obvious device maintaining them just seems a bit too fantastic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh if the preorder price is cheap I might preorder it depending on what else comes out about it in the interim but yeah otherwise no need to be a day 1 adopter for any game.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
X4 looking good so far!
Hopefully they make some changes so the Transport/Droneswarm combo isn't the most powerful thing in the game by spicing up AoE weapons :ohdear:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm hoping things go well for this, and I always feel like a big idiot when I stonewall early into TC/AP despite how cool it is.

At the very least a less self destructive economy would mean I'd have more incentive to flail about as the worst bargain bin starfox ever with a couple MTs until the combat scaling catches up with me again. Given how often the big incentive for creating your own factory empire is so you don't need to set up your own galaxy spanning spy satellite network in order to know "Yup. Everything I want is loving out of stock."

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
It sounds promising but I really don't like the ship designs from what they've shown. :( X3 had awesome looking fighters and capital ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It sounds promising but I really don't like the ship designs from what they've shown. :( X3 had awesome looking fighters and capital ships.

Most of the art looks like placeholder art, and the video is pre alpha. They mentioned supporting PBR in the video and none of the ships appeared to be using it.

• Locked thread