Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

that's funny, you're funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I'm new to mini painting and am going through the intro box. This is the third one I've done. I wish the panel lines of the intro box models were a little better defined, because I can see from CamoSpecs that other Jenner models have lots of crevices, but they just never really came out here after I did a wash over the red. Oh well.

Also, gently caress yellow.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Myrmidongs posted:

I'm new to mini painting and am going through the intro box. This is the third one I've done. I wish the panel lines of the intro box models were a little better defined, because I can see from CamoSpecs that other Jenner models have lots of crevices, but they just never really came out here after I did a wash over the red. Oh well.

That's pretty legit, man. Can't hardly tell you're new to it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Myrmidongs posted:

Go in and touch up the panels with your base color again after a wash, that'll help.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Hubis posted:

Go in and touch up the panels with your base color again after a wash, that'll help.

That's what I did. None of the black went into the near-non existant panel lines, and just ended up sitting on top of the panels themselves. So I just went back over it with the base color.

I never posted the second one I did. I had to mix colors to get the brown on him and wasn't entirely happy with it, and the textured bit on the base ALMOST didn't work. I had used a micro-grater to make cork-rubble, then made a sort of paste of that, with glue and paint and some water. Except the cork just sort of absorbed it and got soggy. Took a long rear end time to dry, but once it did it was happily stuck.

Heres the very first model I've ever painted:

I think I might try a lava-base with the cork next. I'm really digging how versatile (and fast because I'm lazy) it is for making a base.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Myrmidongs posted:

That's what I did. None of the black went into the near-non existant panel lines, and just ended up sitting on top of the panels themselves. So I just went back over it with the base color.

I never posted the second one I did. I had to mix colors to get the brown on him and wasn't entirely happy with it, and the textured bit on the base ALMOST didn't work. I had used a micro-grater to make cork-rubble, then made a sort of paste of that, with glue and paint and some water. Except the cork just sort of absorbed it and got soggy. Took a long rear end time to dry, but once it did it was happily stuck.

Heres the very first model I've ever painted:

I think I might try a lava-base with the cork next. I'm really digging how versatile (and fast because I'm lazy) it is for making a base.

That looks quite fine, dude. Only additional advice is that you might like the look of it with a coat of matte varnish on top (you'll get less "plastic-y shine"). You might want to touch up the metallics afterwards if you do that.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

No official word, but for a release of that scale I'd almost certainly assume GenCon.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Myrmidongs posted:

Lookin' good. Try a dry brush of a lighter shade to bring out the panel lines. I also use a set of jewelers files to deepen/square the panel edges.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Have a 'Murican hero for Memorial Day.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Myrmidongs posted:

Have a 'Murican hero for Memorial Day.

That is just friggin' beautiful!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Origins was awesome, much Battles were Teched. The campaign I ran went well (not perfectly, but well enough), and resulted in what can only be described as catastrophic failure for the RAF on Liao. Incoming reinforcements' dropships were picked apart in orbit, survivors hounded through the wilderness, and supplies destined for their relief captured or destroyed. After numerous failures and casualties, the Red Lancers managed to penetrate the lines and decapitate the IX Hastati leadership by destroying their HQ facility in its entirety before reinforcements could drive them off. The only thing preventing a complete and utter rout was the Hastati's inspired defense of the dropport itself to prevent their station from being completely overrun, and eventually allow reinforcements to land once Stone's Liberators blasted apart the Liao aerospace assets in orbit.

Final tally: Liao victory 4-1 games. The VP count backs up the W/L, ending up at 53-31, Liao favor.

Next stop, GenCon!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
:black101: Republicans get hosed

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In non-Capellan Crusades news, there's a new World Wide Event for BattleTech running until the first weekend in September.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Was reading the old House Book for House Liao and came across an interesting stat: in 3025, the CC comprises 217 systems with 426 inhabited planets, roughly 2 inhabitable worlds per system. (I haven't actually checked to see whether there are 217 CapCon systems plotted on the 3025 map, but it seems plausible).

The House Books have the following to say about the number of systems and planets each of the Successor States controls:

1. Federated Suns - Described as "the largest of the five Successor States in both extent and number of inhabited worlds" with "500 inhabited star systems, many with two or three worlds"
2. Lyran Commonwealth - Described as "second in size and number of planets among the five Successor States" with "more than 300 planets whose populations are large enough for the Commonwealth government to officially recognize."
3. Capellan Confederation - 426 inhabited planets in 217 systems
4. Draconis Combine - "Approximately 350 inhabited planets"
5. Free Worlds League - 333 (inhabited) planets

This would put the CapCon, described as the weakest Successor State, at 3rd in overall number of planets controlled!

Combat Ops at page 86 gives different totals for 3025:

1. Federated Suns - 509 worlds controlled
2. Lyran Commonwealth - 443 worlds controlled
3. Draconis Combine - 412 worlds controlled
4. Free Worlds League - 334 worlds controlled
5. Capellan Confederation - 206 worlds controlled

The FS and CC numbers roughly match the number of systems in the House Books but not the number of worlds. FWL is almost bang-on, while DC and LC appear to have been significantly under-counted in the House Books.

The Combat Ops ranking is more in line with how I've always understood the power rankings to be, with the DC punching above its weight and the LC punching below its weight militarily.

The CapCon House Book always seemed like a bit of an outlier in the way it was written, and this seems to be one example where it was especially so.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that whole "two inhabitable worlds per system" thing is something that got by FASA's early editorial team. Planets with multiple habitable worlds are supposed to be super rare after the fall of Star League and collapse of terraforming technology. I can only think of three systems that have more than one inhabited planet and one of them is Terra, where they kept that technology intact. Wouldn't be the only thing that doesn't quite line up, especially as they started walking back from the original status quo of the dying world.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 23, 2017

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Any news on the PC kickstarter game?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rumor is that we're going to get a new build in a week or two that will include multiplayer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Second Succession War PDF just dropped. Apparently someone at Catalyst decided it was time to sell a product?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Second Succession War PDF just dropped. Apparently someone at Catalyst decided it was time to sell a product?

Ohhh. You get a nuke, and you get a nuke, and you get a nuke. Nukes for everyone!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Conrad Toyama is a gently caress" the book

e: It's really weird to know that Jerome Blake's last moments were spent listening to Eric Clapton and talking about fishing Lake Michigan.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 19, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So who's ready for another round of Harmony Gold fuckery? :woop:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Our Nation Supports the Artistic Creativity of Our Original American Giant Robots

That might have been off the money. What are they up to now?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sueing PGI, HBS, In Media Res, Jordan Weisman personally and "Does 1-10" which apparently means "anyone we didn't remember to name yet" in legaleese over inclusion of reseen designs in the various games. It might be the time they finally over-reached themselves, as Hasbro would count as one of those John Does.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Friend linked me the document.

In the HBS BattleTech game section:

Nice mismatches. Though I suppose the idea is to get close enough so that outsiders can't tell the difference?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

This is such an amazing troll

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Current internet lawyering seems to think they're aiming to get HBS to just :derp: and pay to make it go away, and then leverage that to get PGI to pay out too. I suspect they may have over-reached this time though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's such a hatchet job.

And apparently it was filed months ago, too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I know they probably just expect HBS to back off without a fight but why didn't they pick the actual 'mechs that correspond to their Robotech poo poo? Wouldn't that be easier to prove since they actually do have direct design ancestry back to them? :psyduck:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Utter stupidity, given that both games use the same drat assets.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

They're both using a sublicense of Microsoft's "Battletech-on-a-Computer" licence too, right -- Or is that just PGI ("Mechwarrior" vs "Battletech")? If so it would probably be in Microsoft's interest to support the defense here in order to preserve the value of their IP, at which point it might go hilariously badly for HG.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup. MS could be one of "Does 1-10", as could Hasbro depending how stupid HG want to get. It is a glorious shitshow.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Started playing Battletech again, and I have a shop owner interested in getting some people playing after a lot of bullshitting about ridiculous missions.

Only issue? Most of the folks are pretty big into seeing minis on the table, and might not be drawn in with the usual labeled hex tokens/standees I use.

Any good suggestions for minis? Looking to have a few options for some 3025/3039 era demos (as Succession War seems like it won't immediately attract the weird Clan grogs who led to my initial loss of interest), but I'm stumped on what would be a good base to start with.

As far as demos, I've got a rough idea sketched out as far as escalation goes (start with some basic 1 v 1 'Mech skirmishes, move to full lance and then start getting vehicles involved with hopes of regular play), but I'm still trying to figure out what would hit the sweet spot of manageable and "looks cool on the table".

So, help me figure out what I should plan for, nerds who know more about Battletech. Is IWM still my only option/are the Catalyst-made lances decently comparable to future additions?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The alpha strike boxes are pretty good plastic minis and you'll probably be able to find them on sale around gencon.

TBH I'd recommend using the Alpha Strike rules too if you want to get in games with more than a few models per side in a reasonable amount of time. Most of the people I played with ended up switching over just to get more games in.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The alpha strike boxes are pretty good plastic minis and you'll probably be able to find them on sale around gencon.

TBH I'd recommend using the Alpha Strike rules too if you want to get in games with more than a few models per side in a reasonable amount of time. Most of the people I played with ended up switching over just to get more games in.

Thanks. I was skeptical on the plastics, but someone linked me to a bunch of the boxes for about 7.00 each, which is pretty good. Already sent Catalyst money, so I don't feel as bad getting lances for cheaper than I used to shell out for a single IWM piece.

Now to dig through my old storage boxes and find where those random 'Mechs and tanks went.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The new plastics are very good but I've heard that Catalyst has trouble keeping them in stock, even if they will happily take your money through their shop.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yep, Nthing those AS plastics boxes. So very cheap nowadays. I grabbed four of each and have a gigantic plastic army, after years of using cardboard standies.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Awesome. Now to get some tanks and assorted combat craft to cover the combined arms approach, as well as keeping the best-named J. Edgar Hover Tank prepped. Because I love that stupid name.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I haven't painted Battletech minis in a long, long time. But hey why not.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Would mechwarrior Age of Destruction mini's suffice or are those not the same size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Would mechwarrior Age of Destruction mini's suffice or are those not the same size?

They're too big to fit in hexes properly, but you can fudge it if you're desperate/motivated. Personally I'd just print some counters to avoid having to think about where pieces really are.

• Locked thread