Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

HellCopter posted:

Adventurers are constantly on the lookout for stranger and more bizarre objects to smash into people, lest their weapon of choice become too popular and suddenly get weaker overnight.

Oh god, hipster fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

HellCopter posted:

Adventurers are constantly on the lookout for stranger and more bizarre objects to smash into people, lest their weapon of choice become too popular and suddenly get weaker overnight.

Please please look up Shadow Hearts 2. There is a character that does exactly this.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

TokenTrevor posted:

Please please look up Shadow Hearts 2. There is a character that does exactly this.

THIS POST WOULD MAKE AN EXCELLENT BLUDGEON!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

"This? Oh, it's a fauchard-guisarme-voulge. You probably haven't heard about it, but it's kind of a big deal amongst us connoiseurs of fine bespoke polearms." :smugbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

HellCopter posted:

I wonder if there are universal patch notes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Caros posted:

I wonder if there are universal patch notes.
Pray to Gygax every morning to receive the latest errata.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HellCopter posted:

"I seek the dark tesseract to save my brother"

"I seek the dark tesseract for the knowledge it contains"

"I seek the dark tesseract to deny Lord Mallus"

"I seek the dark tesseract because no-one's ever hit someone with it"

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

While it's nowhere close to Hulking Hurler hilarity, a sufficiently powerful werewolf in Chronicles of Darkness 1e can use the Empire State Building as a spear.

First off, we start with a werewolf who has Primal Urge 10 (the max possible). This means our attributes and skills top out at 10, rather than the 5 for normal humans. For the sake of going nuts, let's go with Strength 10, Dexterity 10, Athletics 10 (the latter for thrown weapons). And we're doing all of this in Gauru form, which gives us a further +3 Strength, +1 Dexterity.

The important thing to remember is that so much of throwing things is based on the Size of what you're chucking. For reference, a normal human is Size 5, a polar bear Size 8. You can't throw anything of Size more than your character's Strength. If yo do throw something, it goes Strength + Dexterity + Athletics - Size yards (doubled if aerodynamic) as short range, x2 for medium, x4 for long.

Now, in the Strength Gifts, werewolves have a hack to this. Legendary Arm removes Size from how far you can hurl something. It's straight-up Str+Dex+Ath for whatever. It also says you can lift and throw anything with Size up to double your Strength. Another Strength Gift, Savage Might, increases Strength for a turn depending on how much Essence (fuel) you dump into it.

At Primal Urge 10, a werewolf can spend 15 essence a turn. 1 point turns on Legendary Arm, the remaining 14 go into Savage Might, for +42 Strength. Our total Strength at this point is 55.

So what is Size 110, anyway? Territories (a Werewolf supplement) gives stats for various buildings. Turns out the average skyscraper is Size 100. Given that it's a loose scale to begin with I reckon a bloody big skyscraper, like the Empire State Building, would be Size 110 or so. And, given its shape, it probably counts as aerodynamic if hurled like a spear. If it doesn't, I'm pretty sure the Chrysler Building would. I know buildings are attached to the ground and all that poo poo, but run with it.

Our werewolf can hurl this building (55 + 11 + 10) x 2 = 152 yards. Not bad. Oh, wait, that's short range. Long range is 152 * 4 = 608 yards. That's a bit over a third of a mile. Oh, wait, that's for an accurate throw. A hail-mary can go twice as far again, if you don't mind having a lovely chance to hit anything. That'd be 1216 yards.

So yeah, a sufficiently powerful werewolf can toss the Empire State Building 0.7 of a mile, or two and a half times the length of the Empire State Building. But if you go for that hail-mary range, you only roll a chance die — 1d10, succeeding on a 10 (which explodes). You deal damage equal to the successes on the roll. In the unlikely event that the Empire State Building hits someone that far away, odds are they're only going to take one point of damage. Errr...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I managed to accidentally game the CW improvised weapon rules by throwing together a Goliath with a rowboat. The whole thing is in my post history in this thread, but he was dealing a handful of d6s, automatically knocking people away, and dealing another handful if they hit a wall.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kwyndig posted:

At least it's not hipster Mages. "Oh, I was casting Frost Bolt before it was cool. :smuggo:"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Melf's artisnal astringent bolt.

EDIT: Limited Release: 23/150

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Why did the hipster halfling burn his mouth?
He ate elevensies before it was cool.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I found a good one: " The keeper compares the character’s CON+SIZ to the POT of the alcohol. If the sum of the two characteristics is equal to or greater than the value of the POT, then a roll on the Resistance Table must be made for the character to determine if he contains too much alcohol in his blood. A success results in the character falling unconscious. A failure means the character has died of alcohol poisoning."

No Tiny Tim, your sip of Communion wine has doomed you! Quick, guzzle a bunch of vodka, it's the only way to be safe.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

No Tiny Tim, your sip of Communion wine has doomed you! Quick, guzzle a bunch of vodka, it's the only way to be safe.
To be fair the wine could have had methanol in it, making that the correct course of action.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ratoslov posted:

Why did the hipster halfling burn his mouth?
He ate elevensies before it was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

My group recently stumbled upon a minor Murphy in A Time of War, the personal-scale system for Battletech. Basically, all the skills in there are sorted into two categories: Basic and Advanced. Basic skills are, well, basic, and can be learned at any point with just some practice while Advanced skills require a skilled trainer.

To that end, there's a unique Training skill, which allows one character to train another in a given skill. To be able to do that, they need to have both the training skill and the skill they actually want to teach at at least the rank their student wants to learn. So the Training skill puts a hard cap on your ability to teach people, which can already make for slightly weird situations. You can be the most skilled surgeon in the entire galaxy with ten ranks in the Surgery skill, but if you lack the Training skill, the only advice you can give to potential students is along the lines "Uh, wash your hands I guess?"

But here's the real kicker: The Training skill is itself an Advanced skill. Which means you need a trainer to train you in Training. And the book points out fairly specifically that you always need a sufficiently skilled trainer to train you in any Advanced skill, and doesn't seem to offer up any alternatives (that we've found). So that's a bit of a Catch-22. You can't learn Training until you find somebody who's better than you at Training, but that person in turn also needed a trainer to learn that, and so on. It would need to be trainers all the way down, so who was the first trainer who trained everybody who came after, and how did he learn Training?

Theoretically, that could have pretty far-reaching consequences: On any given planet, everybody's Advanced skills are hard-capped by the highest level of Training anybody has on that planet. Nobody has Training higher thank rank 2? Too bad, nobody is ever gonna get better than rank 2 at any skill that is Advanced. If the person with the highest rank in Training in the galaxy dies without passing on this skill beforehand, everything will regress and nobody will ever rise to that level ever again.

Which, come to think of it, might just explain a lot about the Battletech universe. :v:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Melf's artisnal astringent bolt.

EDIT: Limited Release: 23/150

Vancian casting: hipster as gently caress.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The bat guano for Fireball is sourced from locally farmed, cruelty-free bats.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Is it possible to get cruelty free liquid pain?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Cuchulain posted:

Is it possible to get cruelty free liquid pain?

Yes! So, the spell says that it targets someone "in great pain". It never says you have to inflict that pain, or that they can't enjoy it. Our liquid pain comes only from masochists and people who were dying anyway. Nothing cruel about it.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I think I had a long discussion about liquid pain here earlier because "wait does that mean I can set up a lawful neutral organization devoted to extraction of liquid pain, and use that to :capitalism: my way into riches and being an evil motherfucker but NO SERIOUSLY WE'RE NOT EVIL THEY CAN BOW OUT AT ANY TIME AND WE WIPE THEIR MEMORY OF THE EVENT AND PAY REAL GOOD!"

Imma go back and see if I can find it.

Edit: Oh that was quick, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533536&pagenumber=115&perpage=40#post465473038

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I went to get the link and got distracted rereading it :argh:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The 5th ed D&D Warlock has an option you can take at level 3 that gives you a magical weapon that you can conjure out of thin air:

quote:

You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it [...] Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die. You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. [...] You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter.

That "see chapter 5" means you, sadly, can't become the Siege Weapon Witch of your dreams that easily - unless you find an enchanted trebuchet.

Now, one recent adventure introduced a magic rune of some sort, that could be applied to a mundane weapon to make it enchanted (with fire, if I'm remembering correctly). A spoilsport DM could still rule that the phrase "weapon" in the bit I've highlighted still only refers to weapons-as-defined-by-the-rules and shut you down...

But that same adventure contained something else: giants. More importantly, it contained their comically oversized clubs, swords, axes and so on - and these are weapons, usable by big/strong enough PCs.

As a weedy, presumably goateed, magic weirdo, your warlock definitely can't actually lift this weapon, but read the end of the first sentence of those rules "in your empty hand". Noting saying said hand can't be outstretched over an enemy's head, being thrust rapidly forwards or just attached to a warlock who's flying some distance overhead. If that 1 minute time limit is a problem in the latter case, you could always surf a giant flaming broadsword down onto your enemies' head, which as a guy who sold their soul to Satan for cool powers, seems like the sort of thing you'd do.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

So, Corporation is a cyberpunk game inspired heavily by the likes of Syndicate, where you play the amoral agent enforcers of the corporate order.

So you would think that the best way to make money is illegal activity like going around shooting up rivals and stealing their stuff, right? Ha ha no.

The real way to stockpile huge amounts of dosh to win at everything forever is by being a lawyer. See, normally, if you're caught committing a crime, you lose rank points, and if you lose enough, you can be stripped of all human rights and thus anyone who wants can kill you or steal your poo poo or do other bad things to you without consequence. If you take the Lawyer training (kind of like a feat), you can defend against these losses.

But if you win, you can then counter-sue. Counter-suing costs $1000, but gives you $2000 per point you pass the roll by.

We're going to take the Lawyer training, then get the Corp Knowledge skill (the relevant one for lawyering) at 8, and max out our Presence (Charisma) at 10. You can do this while still maintaining a reasonable amount of combat power.

On average, this means you will pass your counter-suing roll by ~7, giving you $14,000 per suit. But wait there's more. You can also take a complementary skill at 6. We'll take Crime, because we plan to exploit the broken criminal justice system. There's a rule in Corporation which lets you use a complementary skill to add a bonus of half its rating, so you get +3 to suing the government after you clear your friend's name. Because you know so much about crime. This increases your average return to $20,000.

Ergo, you can generate infinite money by getting a friend to keep getting caught doing petty crimes, then suing every time they get caught to make a poo poo-ton of money back. $14,000 is significantly more than the most starting money you can get, and will be enough to buy most of the more expensive weapons and cybernetic augmentations in the game.

Forget hostile takeovers or mergers and acquisitions. The real way to acquire large amounts of cash in Corporation is to sue everything that move.s

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

MJ12 posted:

you play the amoral agent enforcers of the corporate order.
[...]
The real way to [...] win at everything forever is by being a lawyer.
System appears to be working as intended. Where's the murphy? :confused:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Vavrek posted:

System appears to be working as intended. Where's the murphy? :confused:

Well, presumably the intent is to get into gunfights and poo poo, rather than deliberately getting someone to commit petty crimes, then using them to grind out millions of space dollars. Given, well, the pages and pages of rules for the first and the nearly nonexistent rules for the second.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MJ12 posted:

Well, presumably the intent is to get into gunfights and poo poo, rather than deliberately getting someone to commit petty crimes, then using them to grind out millions of space dollars. Given, well, the pages and pages of rules for the first and the nearly nonexistent rules for the second.
Woosh.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Your next mission is to be sent to jail to assassinate an incarcerated target, but no DA will bring charges against you because you've tanked their conviction rate

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Another definite Murphy in Corporation is Cyboxing. One of the martial arts styles introduced in a supplement, Cyboxing is all about boosting the bonuses to stats and unarmed damage that cybernetics give you. Cyboxing Master: Overclock, the third and final level of Cyboxing training, has the following effect:

quote:

Cybernetics, at their core, enable those who possess them to push beyond the limits of nature. Cyboxers learn how to push harder.
Once per scene you may force your cybernetics to perform beyond their normal safe parameters for one round, any cybernetics which confer a Stat bonus temporarily double the bonus they grant for that round.
Obviously, this is good because you’re boosting the bonuses to Agility (which you use to make melee attacks) and Strength (damage) that you get from the cybernetic limbs a Cyboxer is required to have. But there are plenty of other cybernetics that increase other stats, so if you want to be the most attractive, persuasive, intimidating person in the world – or to max out the profits from your counter-suing racket – you need to get a cyberarm, study cybernetics, and learn to box so you can overclock your Videoskin.

The company that makes Videoskin is Gemini Bioware, and as the name suggests, they mostly make biological enchancements. However, there’s no mechanical distinction between these and anything else in the Cybernetics chapter. This means that after you get your skin hardened for extra armour, it can be shut down by EMP and not function until you get your skin improved, perhaps by the group roboticist. Our Cyboxer will, of course, want the highest Strength they can get, so they’ll likely have had the maximum 3 treatments of Myotic Restructuring, where their muscles are scorched with a laser and healed with accelerant repeatedly to enlarge them and give +3 Strength - so when they use their special training, on top of all their actual mechanical parts, they overclock having-had-their-muscles-medically-treated-in-the-past.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Heffer posted:

Your next mission is to be sent to jail to assassinate an incarcerated target, but no DA will bring charges against you because you've tanked their conviction rate

My friend had a standup bit about this, about how it should be legal to tunnel into prison. "Otherwise it's like, you can't be in here! Get in here!"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Technically a game one, but it's for Pillars of Eternity so it's basically just automated pen and paper.

Much like how named bonuses don't stack in D&D, in Pillars effects that overlap have the most powerful one apply and the rest are "suppressed". This applies to bonuses, but also to conditions- if something has reduced movespeed but is also Stuck and can't move, the reduced movespeed is suppressed.

There's a condition called Prone, which happens when you're knocked to the ground. It gives -10 Deflection (the equivalent of AC), -10 Reflex, -2 Dexterity, and stops you taking any actions. There's also Paralyzed which gives -40 Deflection, -40 Reflex, -100 Dexterity and stops you taking any actions. Since this is a strictly stronger version of Prone, if a character is Prone and become Paralyzed, Prone is suppressed.

This results in them immediately leaping (or rather teleporting) to their feet. So the quickest way to get up if you fall over is to become completely unable to move your body :v:

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 10, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Heffer posted:

Sue them into the ground on behalf of all your victims. They're obviously terrible at their job, and probably in league with criminals based on their conviction rate.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i noticed something funny about the Pathfinder monstrous feat Awesome Blow while trying to help a friend build out his druid's pet progression. Awesome Blow has some pretty simple requirements, basically you have to be at least a Large sized creature, you have to have a base Strength of 25, and you have to have the Power Attack and Improved Bullrush feats. then, when you use Awesome Blow, you get the following effect:

The Pathfinder SRD posted:

As a standard action, the creature may perform an Awesome Blow combat maneuver. If the creature’s maneuver succeeds against a corporeal opponent smaller than itself, its opponent takes damage (typically slam damage plus Strength bonus) and is knocked flying 10 feet in a direction of the attacking creature’s choice and falls prone. The attacking creature can only push the opponent in a straight line, and the opponent can’t move closer to the attacking creature than the square it started in. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent is knocked prone in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

so basically you get to waste a full attack action to do your basic slam damage plus a lovely 10 foot push effect. whoop-de-fuckin-doo!

except, you'll notice that nothing about the push effect scales with anything. it doesn't scale with the size disparity between originator and target, it doesn't scale with your strength score, it doesn't scale with poo poo.

a Young Red Dragon is a large creature with 25 strength that could qualify for Awesome Blow. a human knight is a medium sized creature that the dragon could target with Awesome Blow and potentially push back 10 feet. plausible, but not exactly AWESOME.

the same Young Red Dragon could choose to use Awesome Blow on a diminutive creature, such as a common bat. if the attack is successful (and why wouldn't it be) the dragon can also flick the bat the AWESOME distance of . . . 10 feet. :downs:

even a Great Wyrm Red Dragon, a colossal demi-god that can cast 9th level spells and has a strength score of 43 (!) can perform an Awesome Blow on a common bat and knock the bat back an AWESOME distance of . . . 10 feet. :downs:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

And on the other end you can have the Young Red Dragon push the Great Wyrm Red Dragon 10 feet back if it manages to hit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

senrath posted:

And on the other end you can have the Young Red Dragon push the Great Wyrm Red Dragon 10 feet back if it manages to hit.

That seems reasonable actually, ever babysat and get headbutted by a toddler?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

senrath posted:

It says the target needs to be smaller than the initiator.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

PJOmega posted:

It says the target needs to be smaller than the initiator.

Ah, you're right. Misread it. Still, you can have a massively stronger creature get pushed back by a much weaker (but bigger) one with it.

Also I looked up the 3.5 version. That one had a reflex save to negate.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you're an 8th level Brother of the Seal, you can awesome blow anything, as long as you have the ki/stunning fist uses

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's just common sense, though; pinnipeds are widely known for their ability to knock enemies around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

senrath posted:

Ah, you're right. Misread it. Still, you can have a massively stronger creature get pushed back by a much weaker (but bigger) one with it.

Also I looked up the 3.5 version. That one had a reflex save to negate.

quote:

As a standard action, the creature may perform an Awesome Blow combat maneuver. If the creature’s maneuver succeeds...
--
Combat Maneuvers
Each character and creature has a Combat Maneuver Bonus (or CMB) that represents its skill at performing combat maneuvers. A creature’s CMB is determined using the following formula:
CMB = Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + special size modifier
Combat Maneuver Defense
Each character and creature has a Combat Maneuver Defense (or CMD) that represents its ability to resist combat maneuvers. A creature’s CMD is determined using the following formula:
CMD = 10 + Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + Dexterity modifier + special size modifier + miscellaneous modifiers

Awesome Blow isn't just "hit the target and knock them back 10 feet" - it requires the attacker to succeed on a check using their CMB vs the target's CMD. It's a dubious enough consideration for a creature like a dragon who has a large number of natural attacks and the ability to hit even heavily armored targets reliably to give up their multiple attacks in favor of a single slam plus knockback, but it's not even a reasonable guarantee. A Young Red Dragon (CR 10) has a CMB of +19 which might seem like a lot, but a 10th level fighter is typically going to have a CMD comparable to the dragon's own (CMD 30), meaning Awesome Blow is only going to work half the time - and if the maneuver fails, not only does the target not get knocked back, but it doesn't even take damage.

That being said, it knocks a target back 10 feet in a direction of the attacker's choosing (so long as that direction is "away") and knocks it prone. Prone creatures are effectively severely debuffed (-4 to their attack rolls and AC) and normally can't stand up without provoking an attack of opportunity (taken at their reduced AC). It's not awful, but it's not a tactic the party will always to be able to benefit from - especially as an animal companion require a fairly significant investment in magic items and/or buff spells to remain an effective combatant as the party levels up.