Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What is wrong with intel? Ht to i5 and i3 series? More than 4 cores to i5, more than 2 to i3?! Cores were supposed to be super duper expensive and hard to manufacture, and heat output would get out of control! What next, will they start soldering dies to the hs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm looking at the X99M-WS. The memory QVL is super old (Dec 2015) and it still shows Haswell-E memory speeds (1866/2133). In contrast the EATX version of this board shows support for 32GB Registered ECC modules (256GB = 8x32), and advertises 2400 speeds.

What are the odds that they just forgot to update their product page since Haswell-E (it's literally not listed in some of their support dropdowns either) and it's actually compatible with 32 GB Registered ECC modules? This would be with a retail Xeon 2620 v3 or v4. Unfortunately I don't see anything relevant listed in their BIOS updates. :sigh:

QVL's get updated almost never, and often are more an expression of who bothered to pay the vendor to qualify their specific hardware, rather than anything else.

Still, if you look at the Dec 15 memory QVL, you'll see this at the top:
Samsung M393A2K40BB1-CRC 16GB DDR4-2400 ECC/REG

So clearly it does support 2400 speeds and at least 16GB modules. It probably also supports 32GB modules, based on the fact that there are BIOS updates to support v4 processors, but who knows. A few reviews also at least note 128GB support, but don't seem to have actually tried it out to confirm.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

What are they smoking at Gigabyte? My guess is that Intel paid a whole heap of cash to Gigabyte to release this motherboard.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Well then. Budget builds should get a nice boost.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Budzilla posted:

What are they smoking at Gigabyte? My guess is that Intel paid a whole heap of cash to Gigabyte to release this motherboard.

I haven't been following intel too well -- the issue is that KabyX is unlikely to sell many units? As in, Broadwell E beats it on value and possibly real-world performance?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The entire reason Intel gave for Kaby-X to exist--an entry point to the x299 platform--is gone in a Kaby-X -only motherboard.

Kaby-X is literally just Kaby Lake slapped on to a piece of silicon that lets it function in the new socket. No additional access to io, etc. With no upgrade path and no benefits, it's just an overpriced 7700k.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, guys, but this board seems completely pointless.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only reason for that board to exist is for hobby overclockers ~on a budget~ (kind of a contradiction in terms), and maybe so Intel can bundle it with their Retail Edge packages in a few months when they can't flush out their Kaby-X stock.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So all the pertinent Coffee Lake details leaked from asia, and i highly suggest you read the source after google translate: http://bbs.pceva.com.cn/thread-140322-1-1.html

"testicular performance nuclear" is a good marketing slogan.

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-8th-gen-cpu-300-series-platform-details-leak/

Coffee Lake will launch on a "refreshed" Kaby Lake platform, Z370. Later, it will transition to the Cannon Lake PCH (despite... you know... not being Cannon Lake). Cannon Lake PCH seems to be pretty similar except fora a few fancypants features

Still isnt clear what specifically is keeping Coffee Lake form working on Z270. I'm not 100%, but it kind of looks like there are extra PCIe lanes to support the added 6 port USB 3.1 Gen 2 controller.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 3, 2017

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I read that as x24 PCIe lanes from the PCH. The CPU still only has x16.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Still no word on price?

How much for that i3-8300 with 4C/8T at 4GHz?

eames
May 9, 2009

likely similar to the i3-7300 which is around $150

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lowen SoDium posted:

I read that as x24 PCIe lanes from the PCH. The CPU still only has x16.

Yeah, the redbox wasnt mine. I was thinking the part where it says 30 "high speed IO lanes", but now that I think about it more, youre probably right.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

eames posted:

likely similar to the i3-7300 which is around $150

Once again we can thank Ryzen for finally forcing Intel's hand. And I'm so glad I didn't pull the trigger on a 7700K build last month.

eames
May 9, 2009

Everything I've read so far suggests that Cannon Lake-S is going to be a Broadwell-esque affair, so it'll kind-of-sort-of come to the desktop but not really because the focus is on mobile. Sadly there's not much info about CNL in those leaks except "300-series chipsets support it".

spasticColon posted:

Once again we can thank Ryzen for finally forcing Intel's hand. And I'm so glad I didn't pull the trigger on a 7700K build last month.

Yeah that'll be a very significant price drop if you ignore overclocking capability.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

Yeah that'll be a very significant price drop if you ignore overclocking capability.

With 4GHz base clocks and modern Intel IPC I'm very comfortable ignoring overclocking.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

eames posted:

Everything I've read so far suggests that Cannon Lake-S is going to be a Broadwell-esque affair, so it'll kind-of-sort-of come to the desktop but not really because the focus is on mobile. Sadly there's not much info about CNL in those leaks except "300-series chipsets support it".

Yeah, there were rumors that it won't ever come to desktop, skipping straight to Ice Lake. 10nm really has been a disaster for Intel.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I feel like the addition of built-in wireless is cool but I still don't see a reason to upgrade from Sandy Bridge.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I feel like the addition of built-in wireless is cool but I still don't see a reason to upgrade from Sandy Bridge.

Threadripper?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Tab8715 posted:

Let me tell you about average minimum frametimes and the perceived smoothness in games that comes from a combination of a new processor architecture and G-Sync monitor

trust me they're both worth a combined $3000 :homebrew:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tab8715 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4chk3fWb6xI

if ur gamin, some games offer good jumps. if you have an old vid card, thats almost always gonna be the far more important replacement though.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

With 4GHz base clocks and modern Intel IPC I'm very comfortable ignoring overclocking.

:agreed:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Uh, welcome to 2014?

I'm seriously contemplating getting a spare cheap-and-cheerful H81 ITX mobo for my 4790K before new stock becomes impossible to find (and I can boast my retro rig 10 years down the road).

And yeah Intel seems to in a headless chicken mode, especially when Apple-sponsored TSMC is about to or has already leapfrogging them in pure process tech.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Palladium posted:

And yeah Intel seems to in a headless chicken mode, especially when Apple-sponsored TSMC is about to or has already leapfrogging them in pure process tech.
TSMC's "7nm" is designed specifically for high margin smartphone SoC's and won't work for high performance CPUs even if they had a client that wanted to make em. Their high performance process is a bit different:

(reminder that these are basically just marketing terms for the various processes, Intel's 14nm is more like other companies 12-10nm)

Everyone is getting closer though, for sure. Intel had an absurd process lead, but the failed 10nm process has eaten up close to 2 years now. The lead meant they essentially ran into the technology wall first. Just like all other really derived technologies, you eventually reach a point where every tiny gain costs unreal sums of time and money to achieve. Or sometimes isn't possible at all.

For real 7nm, everyone basically needs EUV to work, which looked shaky for like a decade there. The machinery exists now, finally. Now its going to be a race to see who can actually make a product with it that works and has realistic margins. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see everyone stall out again here.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cygni posted:

For real 7nm, everyone basically needs EUV to work, which looked shaky for like a decade there. The machinery exists now, finally. Now its going to be a race to see who can actually make a product with it that works and has realistic margins. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see everyone stall out again here.
EUV has worked for a while it's just about margins. EUV has a large upfront cost and has significantly lower yields than the current process.

I like how those guys have "5nm" on their 3 year roadmap. It'll be interesting to see when quantum tunneling comes into play and how it is dealt with.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 4, 2017

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
I was under the impression that people are still trying to get the pellicles right so they don't melt immediately.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

eames posted:

That'd be interesting as an unlocked K version, 7700K performance with an i3 at half the price. :thunk:

edit: fresh hot Intel leaks. Kaby Lake-X only X299 boards are out. Genius.

lol the logo looks like an eagle flexing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

inkwell posted:

I was under the impression that people are still trying to get the pellicles right so they don't melt immediately.

It works, but not at the beam levels they want in order to get 300 wafers per hour through it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

the most tired yawning eagle

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

If you're not familiar...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PosO-RO74ZY

Edit: I'm sorry that I apparently killed this good and cool thread.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 7, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Intel dropped some info on the $2000 i9. It can hit 4.4 ghz on the fastest two cores and again costs $2000 which is twice the 16c/32t threadripper.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11698/intel-finalizes-skylakex-processor-specifications-18cores-44-ghz-165w-on-september-25th

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

And the 16C/32T Threadripper hits 4.2 on four cores?

Okay, Intel. You keep doing whatever it is you think you're doing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Now Intel is being coy with the release date for the 4C/8T i3: https://www.techpowerup.com/235885/intel-core-i3-8300-detailed-first-quad-core-i3

"Intel could launch Core i3 "Coffee Lake" processors only by late-2017 or early-2018."

Also, the 300 series boards will top out at 24 PCIe lanes from the PCH, just like the Z270.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 8, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The idea of 4C/8T i3s up against 4C/4T and 6C/6T i5s is astounding.

I really want to know what Intel thinks they're doing these days.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think they're just throwing poo poo at the wall, and seeing what sticks right now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kazinsal posted:

The idea of 4C/8T i3s up against 4C/4T and 6C/6T i5s is astounding.

I really want to know what Intel thinks they're doing these days.

I don't think there are any 4/4 Coffee Lake i5s, if the rumors are true.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I think the i5s are going to be 6C/6T, with the only difference being clock speed and whether they're unlocked.

I do think Intel's smart/stupid enough to not launch the i3s while they still have 7700(K)s to sell, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 8, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else think intel is going to get stomped in the 12core plus range given the anemic base clock speeds and turbo boost only working on 2 cores?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scarecow posted:

Anyone else think intel is going to get stomped in the 12core plus range given the anemic base clock speeds and turbo boost only working on 2 cores?

They still have all core turbo. For the 18-core it is 3.4GHz. The 7900X is rated 4GHz all core and reviewers were having trouble to get them to not run at 4.5GHz all cores at stock because most motherboards are using custom turbo curves by default.

Everyone is freaking out over the base clocks but Intel processors literally never run at them with the possible exception of AVX512 which is so drat fast in applicable workloads that the clocks don't really matter.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Has the "Hey look we have the fastest hedt chip on the market" strawman ever been so brazen before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Has the "Hey look we have the fastest hedt chip on the market" strawman ever been so brazen before?

I think at this point Intel just realizes it has the bankroll to eat a little crow this time around on a market segment that means pretty much nothing to them. EPYC might poo poo on them in the mid-range server market, but you'd better believe the NSA et al are still going Team Blue.