Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soul Reaver posted:

No way to do this witout trial and error/doing it by eye?

It feels so... primitive...

You could use ArcGIS to measure distances between features and multiply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I always just line up two obvious points - the same tip of a branch in both images or something like that - and drag the anchor point of the free transform tool to that, then when you hold down the alt key it'll rotate and scale around that point. It's not the smoothest solution, but it's relatively easy to do.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

gmc9987 posted:

I always just line up two obvious points - the same tip of a branch in both images or something like that - and drag the anchor point of the free transform tool to that, then when you hold down the alt key it'll rotate and scale around that point. It's not the smoothest solution, but it's relatively easy to do.

This is also what I do. With every new version of the creative suite I'm more and more amazed that Adobe never adds this functionality to the measurement tool. Rotating things to specific angles is extremely critical to certain styles of design and unless you already know the angle your best bet is to overlay a photo of a protractor on top of your image. No, really.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'm even MORE amazed that Illustrator doesn't track the rotation of objects inherently - seems like with an object-based vector program it would be super easy to remember the rotation of a shape.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

gmc9987 posted:

I'm even MORE amazed that Illustrator doesn't track the rotation of objects inherently - seems like with an object-based vector program it would be super easy to remember the rotation of a shape.

Yeah that makes no sense. To do this they'd only need a single int per object to store it. Hell they don't even need a 32 or 64 bit one, they could use a 16 bit int. That's a minuscule amount of memory.

It's a mystery.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

gmc9987 posted:

It does for images! Scale, too.

As for the PS thing, yeah, set the opacity down or whatever and use free transform. I usually set the layer I'm adjusting to Difference. That way what I'm trying to line up to goes completely black when it's matched.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In Photoshop you can use the ruler to draw a line and hit a straighten button, but last I used it years ago it was frustrating.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Thanks for all the suggestions. I kind of assumed this would be some sort of built-in tool I was just too stupid to find but it looks like it really isn't something that's included. Good to know!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Any good resources on improving composition in drawings and paintings?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do we have a pen/writing instrument thread?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

VelociBacon posted:

Do we have a pen/writing instrument thread?

Ask/Tell has a huge fountain pen thread that people constantly post in for some reason (just buy a metro ugh)

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
When I'm in Finder on Mac OS, I can start typing a file or folder name, and Finder will automatically jump to the file in whatever folder I'm already in. But when I'm saving a file, typing only changes the "save as" file name. Is there a way to sort through folders via keyboard when saving something?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lincoln posted:

When I'm in Finder on Mac OS, I can start typing a file or folder name, and Finder will automatically jump to the file in whatever folder I'm already in. But when I'm saving a file, typing only changes the "save as" file name. Is there a way to sort through folders via keyboard when saving something?

You have to either tab through to that part of the window, or click on it, then character input will change the highlighted folder.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
How do I permanently change the default typeface in Illustrator CC? Mac OS. I have no use for Myriad Pro!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Whats the best way to make sure your monitor colors are accurate? Been trying to get my laptop display settings as default as I can, but still not 100% sure my display is 1:1 when I compare it to my workstation.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The only good way is to use a piece of hardware called a monitor calibrator. Anything else is basically guessing. Your laptop screen might not have the same color space as your proper monitor also.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
You can make things look as close as possible to printed CMYK material using a monitor calibrator, but every monitor has a different color range and temperature so no two monitors will ever look exactly the same at the same time. A few years back I had access to a $400 colorimeter at work, as well as two 23" HD apple screens purchased at the same time, and they were still off from each other.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

How do I learn to draw starting from basically 0? How do I make that process fun and recreational?

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 12, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hey everyone. Never been to CC before because I'm not creative. I spend most of my time poo poo posting in GBS or YLLS. I don't know if this is the right place for this but I'll ask anyway.

So I need a new hobby. I don't know why but I was thinking about starting a blog. Mostly out of boredom. Not to make money or anything but just to get out my bullshit. Probably about living with bipolar or outdoors stuff or whatever I happen to be not thinking about. I don't read many blogs unless it pops up on a google search so I know nothing about them.

Do you guys think this would be a good idea for me? How do I go about starting one? I've seen wordpress and tumblr and most of my tumblr experience is people in GBS or PYF posting funny poo poo from damaged people. So I'd probably fit right in.

What do you guys think? Can I do this? Is it a decent idea for a hobby? I guess I don't even really care if anyone sees it; it'd be more of something to get my thoughts out like a journal or something.

Any ideas?

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Yossarian-22 posted:

How do I learn to draw starting from basically 0? How do I make that process fun and recreational?
It depends on what you want to do with it. If it's for yourself as a means to escape - just do whatever and it will be fun and recreational as long as you don't care about the result.

If you want improvement and fancy results then first get your drawings look like a thing you're drawing and break from symbols. Train that Eye–hand coordination.

For both of those go to http://ctrlpaint.com and http://drawabox.com/ as a start, free and contains everything you'll ever need.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Strotski posted:

For both of those go to http://ctrlpaint.com and http://drawabox.com/ as a start, free and contains everything you'll ever need.

Those latter two links are very useful as a boot camp, but keep in mind that's what they are, a boot camp. If you do decide to go into a regimented system like that, make sure to take some time to draw for fun too every now and then. You can burn out if everything is a drill/exercise, though those are certainly important for fast growth.

Imo, if you want fun and fast, your best bet is to find a local life drawing class. You'll be with people learning like you are, and you'll get to practice drawing from an actual living breathing model with an instructor who will be able to give you advice and encouragement. Community Colleges and local art centers tend to offer these for relatively reasonable prices. Then if you supplement this with online classes based on construction techniques (which is a very different sort of thing!) like drawabox, Proko, etc, you'll have a great combination.

That said, I think studying construction without also studying observational drawing is a mistake, so don't just jump right into construction techniques without learning how to see first. And learning how to see is best done with life study, even if it's just drawing yourself in a mirror, an old shoe, whatever. Though I think a life drawing studio where you can draw with a bunch of friendly people and get immediate feedback, is still the most fun way to get started. Provided you have the funds and time for it of course.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hey everyone. Never been to CC before because I'm not creative. I spend most of my time poo poo posting in GBS or YLLS. I don't know if this is the right place for this but I'll ask anyway.

So I need a new hobby. I don't know why but I was thinking about starting a blog. Mostly out of boredom. Not to make money or anything but just to get out my bullshit. Probably about living with bipolar or outdoors stuff or whatever I happen to be not thinking about. I don't read many blogs unless it pops up on a google search so I know nothing about them.

Do you guys think this would be a good idea for me? How do I go about starting one? I've seen wordpress and tumblr and most of my tumblr experience is people in GBS or PYF posting funny poo poo from damaged people. So I'd probably fit right in.

What do you guys think? Can I do this? Is it a decent idea for a hobby? I guess I don't even really care if anyone sees it; it'd be more of something to get my thoughts out like a journal or something.

Any ideas?

do it! set yourself an update frequency and put it in writing. don't worry about not being creative, the only difference between being creative and not is creating stuff.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

sebmojo posted:

do it! set yourself an update frequency and put it in writing. don't worry about not being creative, the only difference between being creative and not is creating stuff.

Ooo. I like that quote. "The only difference between creative and not is not creating stuff." :) Should I do wordpress or something. I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I'm about to google "how to make a blog" right now.

Also I'm not sure what update frequency is. Do you just mean like, post something weekly no matter what? I was just planning on "Hey, here's a dumb thought, let's write it down!"

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 13, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I guess I have to come up with a name too. I'm not good with that. I was thinking of just using pennywisethefrown, but that's a mouthful and would also tie me to the SA forums which, well, people wouldd know I'm a dirty goon.

Decisions decisions.

kshift
Aug 13, 2017

"except one day i rolled up wearing a citizen watch, full ross"
What's a good way to network with people looking to create animations or skits as a writer/music producer?

The whole "Hey, I really like your stuff. Here's some of my stuff. Wanna work on some stuff together?" route hasn't been working very well. Meaning that I'm either poo poo, or I'm doing something wrong.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kshift posted:

What's a good way to network with people looking to create animations or skits as a writer/music producer?

The whole "Hey, I really like your stuff. Here's some of my stuff. Wanna work on some stuff together?" route hasn't been working very well. Meaning that I'm either poo poo, or I'm doing something wrong.

Not sure what you're making but you should look at offering your services to people making little games, people always need music/sfx/ambient stuff and it's hard to find.

kshift
Aug 13, 2017

VelociBacon posted:

Not sure what you're making but you should look at offering your services to people making little games, people always need music/sfx/ambient stuff and it's hard to find.

Funnily enough I do a lot of game styled music when I'm not doing hip hop or anything experimental! Do you know any good sites to find people making games that isn't Reddit?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kshift posted:

Funnily enough I do a lot of game styled music when I'm not doing hip hop or anything experimental! Do you know any good sites to find people making games that isn't Reddit?

https://itch.io/community is a good place to start. I'll ask a well connected friend also.

kshift
Aug 13, 2017

VelociBacon posted:

https://itch.io/community is a good place to start. I'll ask a well connected friend also.

great! I appreciate all of the help so far

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sorry, I'm really just talking to myself here. After reading a bit about blogging, I've seen recommendations to first create a blog on Tumblr since it's basically a social media site, and eventually create a self-hosted Wordpress site. That way you can get some followers and link them to the full-fledged blog. I think I have some topics and possibly a name for the site.

This is all very interesting. I started building my own websites when I was like 14 in the 90s and went to school for software development but never did anything with it. Perhaps now I can do SOMETHING that is related to those fields.

So I guess I'll jump into the tumblr world first to test the waters. I'm scared. :ohdear:

kshift
Aug 13, 2017

Sorry, I'm really just talking to myself here. After reading a bit about blogging, I've seen recommendations to first create a blog on Tumblr since it's basically a social media site, and eventually create a self-hosted Wordpress site. That way you can get some followers and link them to the full-fledged blog. I think I have some topics and possibly a name for the site.

This is all very interesting. I started building my own websites when I was like 14 in the 90s and went to school for software development but never did anything with it. Perhaps now I can do SOMETHING that is related to those fields.

So I guess I'll jump into the tumblr world first to test the waters. I'm scared. :ohdear:

Tumblr is probably one of, if not the best ways to blog now. I personally don't use it as much as I should, but it's an okay place to build a following. And if you're comfortable with web-development, you can almost make whatever site you'd need. (If not, there are a lot of easy to use/install themes)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kshift posted:

Tumblr is probably one of, if not the best ways to blog now. I personally don't use it as much as I should, but it's an okay place to build a following. And if you're comfortable with web-development, you can almost make whatever site you'd need. (If not, there are a lot of easy to use/install themes)

I made an account and used one of their themes. I just added a background and avatar pic. Not sure how to get followers but I started liking and re-posting other people's stuff. I'll have to look more into how tumblr works.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I made an account and used one of their themes. I just added a background and avatar pic. Not sure how to get followers but I started liking and re-posting other people's stuff. I'll have to look more into how tumblr works.

No you've pretty much got it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

VelociBacon posted:

No you've pretty much got it.

Sweet.

edit: Their interface is loving horrible. It's just jumbled and messy. Either that or I'm an old. :corsair:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 14, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ooo. I like that quote. "The only difference between creative and not is not creating stuff." :) Should I do wordpress or something. I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I'm about to google "how to make a blog" right now.

Also I'm not sure what update frequency is. Do you just mean like, post something weekly no matter what? I was just planning on "Hey, here's a dumb thought, let's write it down!"

'I'm going to post something three times a week, on Mon weds and fri.' Or once a week, doesn't really matter, but it's crucial if you don't want it to peter out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

sebmojo posted:

'I'm going to post something three times a week, on Mon weds and fri.' Or once a week, doesn't really matter, but it's crucial if you don't want it to peter out.

Duly noted. Just gotta make sure I have some actual content. It will mostly be words I'd imagine since I have no talent.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Nm

spinderella fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 14, 2017

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
I'm trying to find these how to draw books I used to own but for the life of me I can't remember the titles. One was about how to draw fantasy and the other how to draw action, which of coarse makes them ungoogleable. They probably had less generic titles. Can't remember the author either.

I remember the art style. It always struck me as a cut above the typical how to draw books, which is why I want to track it down. It was 'cartoon networky'. It kinda reminded me of Genndy Tartakovsky's work. Western comic book sensibilities with manga influence. Hard focus think lines. It was more detailed of course.

I remember on the front cover it was a young boy hero with a broken sword fighting a dragon with a girl and an old wizard in the background.

In the back of one of them there was a Conan the barbarian type dude holding a pencil saying "Let's Draw."

One of the pieces in the middle was a robot on a pike with a bunch of arrows sticking out of it. It had a sign that read "No Mechs Allowed"

Somebody please help me, I'm slowly going insane.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duly noted. Just gotta make sure I have some actual content. It will mostly be words I'd imagine since I have no talent.

Honestly, just tell yourself you're going to write total crap and do it, but try and make each entry a bit less crappy than the one before.

Because you have a schedule (doesn't have to be 3/wk, just whatever will work) you'll be wandering around and an idea will pop up for a post and you can toss it round in your head, refining it then poop it out onto the screen.

Sometimes it will be a drag and a grind and you'll feel dumb, but producing is the only way to produce, so outsourcing the motivation to some kind of formal structure is really useful. From personal experience 50% of the stories i write start from a blank page and a blank head and I wouldn't do them without a deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

The secret to getting stuff done is to do it, and then talk about it after it's done. In other words, less writing about what you're going to write and more writing the actual content so you have something to share.