Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Good on him for moving past that. :3: Now he just needs to learn how to dress, guy definitely looks like a former fat guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Arivia posted:

Jesus, really? You can tell Jay worries a lot but that is not a 36 year old's face. Or hair. Poor guy.

He has a long standing habit of ripping out his own hair because of stress. Though you should keep in mind that he just came off of doing Junkyard Wars and that can be really draining, you can see that Dimitri was tired too, Linus and Luke have done that whole thing many times so I think they held up better.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I'm literally speechless. I don't think I've ever seen such a head-to-body fat ratio before. Amazing turnaround.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He's also like 6"4' which is hard to see on video. He positively towers over Linus when they're onscreen together. He's having a meltdown on twitter about AMD stuff now.

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/899322786740527104

RIP his hairline i guess

well why not fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 20, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jay has always been reluctant to do ads, he's in a pretty good position to talk about this. He's still as juvenile as the other YouTubers, but at least he's not in full sell-out mode like the others.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think a lot of that is because he seems old. He still hangs out and does dumb skits with that freaky dude from Fractal Design.

Dmitri is the coolest 'tuber anyway.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
In an alternate timeline where JHH is CEO of Nvidiamd, we would have got Ryzen in 2011, shitshows such as Bulldozer and Vega would have never existed and ATI would be much well funded under Intel.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

well why not posted:

I think a lot of that is because he seems old. He still hangs out and does dumb skits with that freaky dude from Fractal Design.

Dmitri is the coolest 'tuber anyway.

And hardware canuks has some of the worst and most inaccurate reviews around.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

meh, i watch for the case reviews+ aesthetic vids. anyone who bases their opinions off of youtube without cross-referencing other sources could do better.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

well why not posted:

meh, i watch for the case reviews+ aesthetic vids. anyone who bases their opinions off of youtube without cross-referencing other sources could do better.

They skew things pretty heavily in their case reviews, about all they are good for is pretty footage. It's stuff like saying that a case runs "a little hot" when the difference between it and a well cooled case is 7-8C, a huge difference. It's very annoying because it's so subtle and it's not like they are lying outright, just phrasing stuff in a very deceptive way. Really the only ones I trust are Gamers Nexus and Jay, because both are pretty blunt and open about how they do stuff.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Their case reviews are fine if you watch them with the sound off, but they aren't super detailed with their reviews.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I only started watching Gamers Nexus a couple weeks ago, but I like their style a lot more then the shows with much bigger production values. Like others have said, they're very open about how they did their tests and why they came to the conclusions they did. I appreciate the lack of gimmicks and click bait type content.

eames
May 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/899321072960512000
Those youtube unboxers sound pretty cocky lately :munch:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kramjacks posted:

I only started watching Gamers Nexus a couple weeks ago, but I like their style a lot more then the shows with much bigger production values. Like others have said, they're very open about how they did their tests and why they came to the conclusions they did. I appreciate the lack of gimmicks and click bait type content.

I love their coverage. It's straight, to the point, and doesn't try to do dumb youtuber bullshit.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gamers nexus is the best when you want facts and data which is what is most important 99% of the time with PCs
They can be pretty dry and boring. I like Pauls Hardware as a nice medium of facts and opinions

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Kramjacks posted:

There's a lot of that obnoxious garbage on Youtube because most have little or no substance to add over traditional HW website reviews that are already covering the same product. No, I don't want to loving see minutes of you opening the goddamn box.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The only tech youtubers I'm interested in are guys who do budget builds and budget component testing. GN, DF and Hardware Unboxed are kind of my exceptions to this since both can get really in depth and their graphs exist on the screen for more than two seconds.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ufarn posted:

Jay has always been reluctant to do ads, he's in a pretty good position to talk about this. He's still as juvenile as the other YouTubers, but at least he's not in full sell-out mode like the others.

I think Jay is my favourite tech youtuber because he's utterly unassuming. You're right he's juvenile, but it's usually "whoops that sounded way naughty" instead of something else, and he's endlessly self-deprecating. (That probably goes with the anxious + ex-fat guy thing, but still.) Jay comes off as more of a reasonable, actual person to interact with instead of Linus the Ad Man. He's not the best for specific technical reviews - GN is that - but he's willing to own up to not being that, and tells people to go elsewhere for that. And as someone pointed out, he's pretty clear about his methods and reasoning.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fauxtool posted:

gamers nexus is the best when you want facts and data which is what is most important 99% of the time with PCs
They can be pretty dry and boring. I like Pauls Hardware as a nice medium of facts and opinions

Gamer Nexus is strange in that they go through Patreon so they are not as addicted to those YouTube profits as much as the others that make them sort of... More trusting? It's weird because they post videos that are literally lambasting their audience for being idiots (the recent your drat card is not running at 2Ghz for example) which any other channel won't do because any dip to ratings is suicide.

It made me want to fund the guy just because of that feature they have where a guy is in front of a scan of a video card or mother board and write down all the components for you and tells if they are actually high quality or garbage day quality.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

Gamer Nexus is strange in that they go through Patreon so they are not as addicted to those YouTube profits as much as the others that make them sort of... More trusting? It's weird because they post videos that are literally lambasting their audience for being idiots (the recent your drat card is not running at 2Ghz for example) which any other channel won't do because any dip to ratings is suicide.

It made me want to fund the guy just because of that feature they have where a guy is in front of a scan of a video card or mother board and write down all the components for you and tells if they are actually high quality or garbage day quality.

Steve has already pointed out how much AMD fanboys hate them for their negative Vega coverage. That video only made it worse, AND Steve waded into the comments to slug it out with them. He's been clear in the past how little time he has for that bullshit, which is really nice to see.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

EVIL Gibson posted:

Buildzoid, who is pretty top tier. I'm not sure anyone goes to the length he does in breaking down motherboards and GPU PCB components, it's also from him that I learned that AMD usually goes overboard on board quality while Nvidia likes to do just above the minimum.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Arivia posted:

Jesus, really? You can tell Jay worries a lot but that is not a 36 year old's face. Or hair. Poor guy.

Things could be worse, I'll be happy if I still have hair at all at 36.

Kramjacks posted:

I like PCPer for similar reasons as well, no nonsense and they're pretty knowledgeable.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 20, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Gamers Nexus guy has a way of speaking that turns people off, but he sounds so much like a young Norm MacDonald that it makes me laugh. He has that same jaded snark in his tone.

"Well how bout this I'll type in 1800 MHz. HUH??? Yeah well this must be a pretty good card we're clocked at 1800 MHz right now! No we're not!"

Also, I just turned 35 and I look nowhere near as old as Jay does in the skin and face department (it helped that I never drink booze I guess) but my hair is going at an accelerated rate because all the men on my father's side have the bald spot. And a surprising number of the ones that fall out have no color.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 20, 2017

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Jay's dad died approx. 2 weeks ago too which doesn't help the stress factor.

Still like him this best.

I can't stand Linus's random rising pitch intonations on every single loving word, but his videos still have the best production values and are also all in 4k. Linus tech really needs a new frontman that's not Linus even if Linus himself still keeps writing/directing every episode.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Avalanche posted:

Jay's dad died approx. 2 weeks ago too which doesn't help the stress factor.

Still like him this best.

I can't stand Linus's random rising pitch intonations on every single loving word, but his videos still have the best production values and are also all in 4k. Linus tech really needs a new frontman that's not Linus even if Linus himself still keeps writing/directing every episode.

What's the name of the other guy on the WAN show? He has a decent voice for it and seems capable of presenting. Linus' voice has definitely started getting on my nerves and I hate to be his wife having to listen to that while he makes love to me.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

What's the name of the other guy on the WAN show? He has a decent voice for it and seems capable of presenting. Linus' voice has definitely started getting on my nerves and I hate to be his wife having to listen to that while he makes love to me.

There's the hardware Canucks guy who is really solid and also the other blond haired guy that is an employee of Linus that often does a lot of his own videos.

(I can't believe I know all of this youtube star bullshit but that's what happens when you start buying new parts and have a weekend to kill)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Avalanche posted:

There's the hardware Canucks guy who is really solid and also the other blond haired guy that is an employee of Linus that often does a lot of his own videos.

(I can't believe I know all of this youtube star bullshit but that's what happens when you start buying new parts and have a weekend to kill)

Yeah, the blodne guy not the hardware canucks or "i'm in my 30s not 50s" guy. I'm surprised they don't use him more.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He used to be on camera more but he's heading up that floatplane site / platform apparently. it's a video platform that's meant to solve some niche YouTube BS.

Basically Linus has too much money and thinks he can just launch a video streaming service.

anyways, GPUs :

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Fauxtool posted:

GN can be pretty passive aggressive with their articles from time to time. Overall their data is pretty good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

FFXIV has this horrendous grey slightly desaturating colour grade over everything and using ReShade to remove that just makes the game so much more lively.

Uhh, no it doesn't? FFXIV has weather, and depending on weather conditions you have different light and visibility. I.e. when it clears up immediately after rain you can see forever and it's super clear and sharp and all the colours are there, then give it an ingame day or two and maybe some winds and clouds and it gets hazy and that dampens colours a bit, especially in big open environments. Then next day or two it rains again and start from the beginning. It's a really nice touch and attention to detail you don't often see in games. All in all, I think FFXIV is one of the more colourful games that aren't straight up cartoony I've played tbh, and I don't use any filters.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Level1Techs is awesome. If you are a supernerd that is.

https://www.youtube.com/user/teksyndicate/featured

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 21, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Wirth1000 posted:

where can i find the rest of this story

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1gnoirents posted:

where can i find the rest of this story

quote:

It was CES 2015, and Luke and Linus had just finished a tedious day of exploring the booths. Linus pulls out his phone, when Luke proceeds to start stroking it gently, Linus gazes him right in Luke's warm welcoming eyes, with a look of confusion. "Why is he rubbing my phone so sensually?" Linus wondered to himself. Luke proceeds to lean in closer to Linus."Hey Linus why does your phone feel so smooth?" he asks. Linus stares at him, wondering how Luke could not know this majestic item, the item that every human being needs for a smooth, sexy, phone using experience. Linus leans towards Luke's ear slowly, brushing Luke's hair gently behind his ear so he can hear Linus's wise words loud and clear. "Well you see Luke, this is phantom glass, the best darn protectors out there." Linus whispered. Luke proceeded to sweep up Linus into his arms with joy, as they went to the Phantom Glass booth at CES together, and bought 30 screen protectors for Linus and Luke to use in the bedroom later.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/372854-linus-and-luke-fan-fiction/

:staredog:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Expectations exceeded

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

go on

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

eames posted:

what a trainwreck :allears:

This launch is sad enough I'm going to buy a fancy new office chair instead

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Fanfic truly comes from the most unexpected of places...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So is the 1070 still a good card to get if you are looking for a relatively high end card but are budgeting more on price/performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Knifegrab posted:

So is the 1070 still a good card to get if you are looking for a relatively high end card but are budgeting more on price/performance?

iirc, the general wisdom was that the price-dropped 1080 was a much better price/performance point, and the mining rush did no favors to the 1070 on top of that.