Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I spent so much time trying to heal at that spring before realizing it didn't work anymore.

At least the turtle is still alive. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm going to venture a wild guess that the new magicite might be based on FF1 bosses. Though I think Tiamat is already covered probably? Not sure!

Well, I haven't played the advance version, but I think one of them might be from FFV. I remember reading about it somewhere...

I think...

No idea if I'm remembering correctly or not.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I know I said this was coming later, but the LP is pretty slow, so what the hey. We've missed a bunch of monsters.

Lakitu Alphonsa's Missed Monsters Update 6:

(Couldn't find a good bandaged Lakitu picture, just imagine he's sporting a few)

Greetings, fans of this Final Fantasy VI LP! I'm back with more Missed Monsters, and a new associate!

- Hey! (Ultros is sporting a lot of bandages too) I'm AL's new file clerk! Would have preferred something more prestigous...

- It was what we had open. Besides, you didn't fight that great. If it hadn't been for your old college friend King Kaliente's recommendation...

- Yeah well, you're lucky I stuck around, what with the phony racism thing and all.

- I told you, that was just to get you mad and possibly not thinking straight for the battle portion of the interview.

- Yeah, yeah, whatever! Anyway, I'm here till I find a better job.

- And I'm glad, since with a whole new world to catalogue, I need the help! Enough intro, let's get on with things. This will cover mostly overworld monsters, but only on the continents we have accessed at the moment.

---
Solitary Island
---

Peeper

Level: 23 HP: 1 MP: 19
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 7 Magic: 10 Speed: 25 Evasion: 0
Defense: 5 Magic Defense: 5 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Ice, Water
Elemental Absorptions: None
Status Immunities: Poison, Meteor Strike
Steal: Elixir Rare Steal: NA
Drop: NA Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 2 Gold: 0
Game Commentary: This squirrel will die if you simply leave it alone. Sad, isn't it?
Lakitu's Commentary: This enemy has the Sap stat, so on the first round it automatically dies whether you hit it or not. May not get the chance to even attack. Poor little mutant squirrel...
---

Land Ray

Level: 23 HP: 1 MP: 18
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 6 Magic: 10 Speed: 45 Evasion: 0
Defense: 5 Magic Defense: 5 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Water
Status Immunities: Blind, Imp, Petrify, Sleep
Steal: Megalixir Rare Steal: NA
Exp: 1 Gold: 0
Game Commentary: Its PoisonTail is, well, poisonous. This enemy only has 1 HP, but it carries the Megalixir, which heals your entire party. Try to steal it.
Lakitu's Commentary: Another enemy that has Sap and will die on the first turn unless you cast Stop on it so it can hang around for repeated Steal attempts. You can also have Wendy Sketch it to teach Galuf rare Lore, but do Stop first or move fast.
---

: Hey, how come I don't get to do Commentary?

: Sorry, not part of your job.

: Aw...

: Notice how all the monsters on the Solitary Island kill themselves during battle? That's the gimmick mentioned earlier, supposed to convey the despair of the place.

: It's almost like they had a dead end job, few advancement prospects...

: Moving on.

---
World of Ruin Southern Continent
---

Fafnir

Level: 26 HP: 1112 MP: 130
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 13 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 110 Magic Defense: 150 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Ice
Status Immunities: None
Steal: Antidote Rare Steal: NA
Exp: 459 Gold: 456
Game Commentary: Slowly reduces HP with T. Lash. If threatened it will try to escape.
Lakitu's Commentary: AKA Mesosaur. Lots of them lurking around WOR Albrook and Tzen. Good thing they're cowards. Occasionally accompanied by larger threats.
---

Killer Mantis

Level: 26 HP: 1412 MP: 110
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 16 Magic: 10 Speed: 35 Evasion: 0
Defense: 115 Magic Defense: 140 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Fire
Status Immunities: Imp, Sleep, Death, Confuse
Steal: Venom Claws (weapon for Leave) Rare Steal: NA
Exp: 559 Gold: 756
Game Commentary: Comes in for the attack wielding a big Sickle. Its attack is powerful, so be careful.
Lakitu's Commentary: A big praying mantis, not very dangerous even though Sickle can hurt.
---

Murussu

Level: 26 HP: 1111 MP: 60
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 13 Magic: 10 Speed: 25 Evasion: 0
Defense: 140 Magic Defense: 80 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Lightning
Status Immunities: Petrify, Death
Steal: Hi-Potion Rare Steal: NA
Drop: Remedy Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 321 Gold: 356
Game Commentary: Attacks with the Carapace on its back.
Lakitu's Commentary: Another frequent hazard around Tzen and Albrook. Can counterattack with Snort to knock party members out of the fight.
---

: My buddy Typhon also has that Snort power.

: Yeah, too bad it doesn't work on Mario or we'd hire your pal.

---

Gigantoad

Level: 26 HP: 458 MP: 20
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 11 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 100 Magic Defense: 130 Magic Evasion: 0
Status Immunities: Death
Steal: None Rare Steal: None
Drop: Sleeping Bag. Rare Drop: None
Exp: 235 Gold: 340
Game Commentary: Attacks with Croak and stops the party with Slimer. Also uses Rippler, so watch your status.
Lakitu's Commentary: Rippler is a nasty spell, but the frog actually lacks the MP to cast it unless somebody slips them an Ether. A frequent but not very dangerous foe.
---

Lunaris

Level: 26 HP: 582 MP: 25
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 13 Magic:10 Speed: 25 Evasion: 0
Defense: 155 Magic Defense: 145 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: None
Status Immunities: Sleep, Death
Steal: Hi-Potion Rare Steal: NA
Exp: 308 Gold: 247
Game Commentary: A monstrous hound. Launches itself at enemies to attack with Face Bite.
Lakitu's Commentary: Good to see wolves survive the world's end. Face Chomp can Blind you.
---

Black Dragon

Level: 26 HP: 4000 MP: 600
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 14 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 102 Magic Defense: 20 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Fire, Holy
Status Immunities: It's Undead, so it's immune to Blind, Zombie, Death, Imp, Petrify, Sleep, Silence, and Berserk. Meteor Strike too. Use Healing to damage it.
Steal: Holy Water Rare Steal: NA
Drop: Tent Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 780 Gold: 502
Game Commentary: Uses Bone Powder to turn enemies into zombies. Also attacks the entire party with Sand Storm.
Lakitu's Commentary: Stay out of desert areas on the WoR Southern Continent to avoud these guys. Also can appear on the Solitary Island, making for a very dangerous encounter. You can always depend on Black Dragon... to screw up your day!
---

Rukh

Level: 26 HP: 850 MP: 100
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 12 Magic: 10 Speed: 25 Evasion: 0
Defense: 105 Magic Defense: 120 Magic Evasion: 0
Status Immunities: Imp, Petrify, Critical, Meteor Strike, Silence, Sleep
Steal: NA Rare Steal: NA
Drop: Echo Screen Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 249 Gold: 596
Game Commentary: Attacks using Shimsham.
Lakitu's Commentary: AKA Osprey. Shimsham halves HP. They can also Petrify you, so beware.
---

Crumbling House
---

: Lord Bowser covered Zokka, Nightwalker, and Scorpion, but the Box Monster was missed, so...

: The Box Monsters are just multiple regular enemies.

: Oh. Never mind.

---
WOR Serpent Trench
---

Delta Beetle

Level: 26 HP: 612 MP: 80
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 11 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 220 Magic Defense: 5 Magic Evasion: 0
Status Immunities: Blind, Poison, Imp, Berserk, Confuse
Steal: Potion Rare Steal: NA
Drop: Sleeping Bag Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 288 Gold: 211
Game Commentary: Attacks with Rush and Mega Volt.
Lakitu's Commentary: High defense, appears in groups. Leave's Fire Dance Blitz works well.
---

Vampire Thorn

Level: 26 HP: 12 MP: 400
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 13 Magic: 10 Speed: 35 Evasion: 0
Defense: 254 Magic Defense: 254 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Absorptions: Poison
Status Immunities: all the Undead Immunities plus Critical.
Steal: Echo Screen Rare Steal: NA
Drop: Smoke Bomb Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 510 Gold: 896
Game Commentary: This enemy has low HP, but high defense. Attacks with Bio and Energy Sap, which can turn its victim into a zombie.
Lakitu's Commentary: The Bloompire is a nasty customer. Again, Fire Dance works well. Healing too, it takes damage since it's an undead plant.
---

Lizard

Level: 26 HP: 1280 MP: 70
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 14 Magic: 70 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 102 Magic Defense: 153 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Absorptions: Poison
Status Immunities: Petrify, Critical
Steal: Blood Sword Rare Steal: NA
Drop: Soft Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 297 Gold: 356
Game Commentary: If you don't want to lose a few feet and become very Impish, watch out for this guy's Imp Glare.
Lakitu's Commentary: No threat other than the Imp Glare.
---

Devoahan

Level: 26 HP: 2252 MP: 218
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 15 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 100 Magic Defense: 150 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Fire, Water
Status Immunities: Petrify, Critical, Sleep
Steal: Ether Rare Steal: Diamond Vest
Exp: 562 Gold: 458
Game Commentary: In addition to normal attacks, this unsightly beast is prone to Riot.
Lakitu's Commentary: AKA Buffalax. Can hit hard and heal itself.

---
WOR Figaro Area
---

Sandhorse

Level: 27 HP: 1025 MP: 100
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 15 Magic: 9 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 135 Magic Defense: 155 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Ice, Water
Status Immunities: Blind, Imp, Petrify, Death, Silence, Berserk, Confuse, Sleep.
Steal: Potion. Rare Steal: NA
Exp: 360 Gold: 576
Game Commentary: Attacks with repeated Sand Storms. Beat it down quick or things could get even uglier.
Lakitu's Commentary: Very dangerous, but dies quickly if Rasped.
---

Cancer

Level: 26 HP: 952 MP: 100
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 15 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 110 Magic Defense: 145 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Ice, Water, Lightning.
Status Immunities: Blind, Imp, Petrify, Death, Critical, Silence, Berserk. Confuse, Sleep.
Steal: Potion. Rare Steal: NA
Exp: 360 Gold: 576
Game Commentary: This crab-like foe has no magic, but uses his Scissors to great effect.
Lakitu's Commentary: Sandhorse's not as dangerous buddy.
---

Oceanus

Level: 27 HP: 1700 MP: 100
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 15 Magic: 9 Speed: 35 Evasion: 0
Defense: 125 Magic Defense: 140 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Lightning
Status Immunities: Blind, Poison, Imp, Death, Berserk, Sleep
Steal: Gaia Gear Rare Steal: NA
Drop: Antidote Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 612 Gold: 971
Game Commentary: Sends out a Magnitude 8 when you least expect it.
Lakitu's Commentary: Didn't these used to be underwater monsters? Now they're forest denizens.
---

Desert Hare

Level: 26 HP: 75 MP: 200
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 7 Magic: 30 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 100 Magic Defense: 100 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Water
Status Immunities: Critical, Silence, Berserk.
Steal: Remedy Rare Steal: NA
Drop: Hi-Potion Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 0 Gold: 0
Game Commentary: Don't expect big rewards for butchering this sweet little bunny that attacks with Carrots! Ooooooh!
Lakitu's Commentary: AKA NohRabbit, another cute enemy with sharp teeth. Heals you when you attack it for some reason.

---
South Figaro Cave and Figaro Castle Basement WOR
---

: Lord Bowser's next update should include Dante, Humpty, Cruller, and Neck Hunter. We missed-

---
Dropper

Level: 27 HP: 1000 MP: 80
Hit Rate: 100 Attack: 6 Magic: 10 Speed: 30 Evasion: 0
Defense: 100 Magic Defense: 150 Magic Evasion: 0
Elemental Weaknesses: Lightning, Water
Status Immunities: Everything.
Steal: Ether Rare Steal: NA
Drop: Ether Rare Drop: NA
Exp: 398 Gold: 427
Game Commentary: A scout droid for the Empire. Muddles targets with Mad Signal.
Lakitu's Commentary: So the Empire still has robots around. Noted.
---

: Woo, that's a lot of enemies.

: Yeah, well, when you pass through a lot of areas and ride Chocobos around, you miss a lot of monsters. Thanks for the help.

: Don't mention it. I'm only here till I find a better position elsewhere. [answers cell phone] Hey, Typhon! What? Some crazy old man is looking for a receptionist?

: Spoilers, shh! See you next time, folks.

---

If I can keep writing Ultros, I may bring him back part time. We'll see.

Hope the LP is updated again soon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how you have all of these deadly, bloodthirsty monsters that exist to ruin your day, and then there's just Peeper who got the short-end of the stick when it came to Darwinism.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like how you have all of these deadly, bloodthirsty monsters that exist to ruin your day, and then there's just Peeper who got the short-end of the stick when it came to Darwinism.

They're the first enemies you meet in the world of ruin, so the game's basically saying "man, the world is such a shithole now that even the fauna is suicidal."

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Leavemywife posted:

Some folks have been asking about the special enemy I haven't shown off yet. I've got a bit of a write-up on him and a video of me fighting him.

:ducksiren:The Intangir of Triangle Island:ducksiren:

The Intangir is one of the toughest monsters that we've encountered so far. Boasting 32,000 HP, it has the highest HP of anything we've encountered, by far; Ultima Weapon only had 24,000.

Encountered only on the Triangle Island north of Thamasa, the Intangir first appears with the Invisible status. It attacks with Meteor exclusively, which was dealing over 900 damage to my party, and considering I'm barely breaking 1,100 on some people, that's loving scary. When attacked by anything, he immediately counters with Meteor, then uses the Sleep skill on himself, restoring his Invisibility and Sleep status.

However, as you'll see in the video, he's vulnerable to Stop, which locks him down for a little while. However, that doesn't mean you can just let loose on him. Oh, no; the douchebag absorbs all elemental damage, meaning you're stuck to physical or non-elemental attacks, which is why I was Chainsawing and Suplexing the everliving poo poo out of him. Our only other course of action would be to Rasp/Osmose him to death, but he's got 16,000 MP to whittle down.

You can steal Magicite Shards from him, which summon a random Esper when used; I was hoping to get one, just to show that off, but I failed at that. He'll rarely drop an Antidote, and gives out no EXP or Gil. So why fight him at all?

He gives out 10 AP per fight, which is the highest we're going to see for a loooooooooooong time.

I know this is from a long time back, but I started playing through recently to go along with the LP, and just got through the Magitek facility, opening up the airship for use. And let me tell you, if you thought trying to take down the Intangir is tough at your levels, try it at around level 12-14, where my characters were at. :getin:

I think I like the fight better this way, not being able to cheese it with Vanish/Death. You have to be a lot more creative in how you approach the thing.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 31, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Some folks have been asking about the special enemy I haven't shown off yet. I've got a bit of a write-up on him and a video of me fighting him.

:ducksiren:The Intangir of Triangle Island:ducksiren:

The Intangir is one of the toughest monsters that we've encountered so far. Boasting 32,000 HP, it has the highest HP of anything we've encountered, by far; Ultima Weapon only had 24,000.

Encountered only on the Triangle Island north of Thamasa, the Intangir first appears with the Invisible status. It attacks with Meteor exclusively, which was dealing over 900 damage to my party, and considering I'm barely breaking 1,100 on some people, that's loving scary. When attacked by anything, he immediately counters with Meteor, then uses the Sleep skill on himself, restoring his Invisibility and Sleep status.

However, as you'll see in the video, he's vulnerable to Stop, which locks him down for a little while. However, that doesn't mean you can just let loose on him. Oh, no; the douchebag absorbs all elemental damage, meaning you're stuck to physical or non-elemental attacks, which is why I was Chainsawing and Suplexing the everliving poo poo out of him. Our only other course of action would be to Rasp/Osmose him to death, but he's got 16,000 MP to whittle down.

You can steal Magicite Shards from him, which summon a random Esper when used; I was hoping to get one, just to show that off, but I failed at that. He'll rarely drop an Antidote, and gives out no EXP or Gil. So why fight him at all?

He gives out 10 AP per fight, which is the highest we're going to see for a loooooooooooong time.

Huh. Never tried fighting one of these before.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Phew, caught up to this thread!

I want to take a step back and touch on a line that bothers me in the GBA version.

quote:

In the original, he says "There will be no one left to worship us..." I always thought that struck a lot deeper about how hosed things are, instead of this cheesy movie trailer line we get in modern releases.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There are a number of Kefka lines (or lines in scenes prominently featuring Kefka) that are made worse in the new translation sadly.

But yeah, I do think that Gestahl lamenting his empire won't be made is a better note for him to go out on instead of "Oh no, what have I done to the world?" This is a guy who took a newborn baby from her mother's hands while gloating about how he'd be making his empire all powerful with her aid.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I too prefer Gestahl's original line. He's deluded and full of himself to the end. Never realizes he probably could have won if he just got rid of Kefka.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There are a number of Kefka lines (or lines in scenes prominently featuring Kefka) that are made worse in the new translation sadly.

Can you list some of those lines? Just want to know for curiosity's sake.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least they kept "Run! Run! Or you'll be well-done!"

I'm almost certain that I said that earlier in the thread, but cut me some slack, things have been slow.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ParanoidLogician posted:

Can you list some of those lines? Just want to know for curiosity's sake.

Well, I was thinking of the final encounter primarily, but there is one small one off the top of my head.

quote:

Kefka: Ahem... there's SAND on my boots!
Soldiers: Yes, Sir! All set, Sir!
Kefka: (SNES: "Idiots!") (iOS: "How pathetic!")

This one is a small change since the whole exchange is the same in both versions barring Kefka's last line, but I kind of like the wording of the first if only because it comes across a bit better. He's standing in the middle of the desert on sand while telling them to clean sand from his boots.

Aside from that, there's the Gestahl scene previously mentioned and of course Celes stabbing Kefka being a long rant about her being a brat rather than "HATE HATE HATE", the latter of which was even used in Dissidia.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Son of a submariner!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Explosionface posted:

Son of a submariner!

...has never made sense in a game that doesn't have any submarines. (I'm not saying Tom Slattery's replacement is any better, mind you.)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There are a couple of lines that I don't know whether they kept or changed them, but it would be a tragedy if they were changed. I do know of one unforgivable re-translation in the GBA version that we haven't seen yet.

In a different thread, I saw a side-by-side comparison of the graphics in the SNES and iOS versions of FF6. The characters look terrible in the iOS version and there's a terribly-rendered pillar in Figaro Castle when Terra first speaks to Edgar.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Aerdan posted:

...has never made sense in a game that doesn't have any submarines. (I'm not saying Tom Slattery's replacement is any better, mind you.)

The castle submerges like a submarine. Not that it helps that much, but it associates in my brain just fine. I mostly just think it's funnier.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I'd love to at least get some kind of way to use the improved mechanics and backgrounds from the iOS version with the traditional character sprites, at least.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

get that OUT of my face posted:

In a different thread, I saw a side-by-side comparison of the graphics in the SNES and iOS versions of FF6. The characters look terrible in the iOS version and there's a terribly-rendered pillar in Figaro Castle when Terra first speaks to Edgar.

And that every castle on the world map was replaced with Figaro Castle - the iOS remake is incredibly lazy in the design department.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I'd love to at least get some kind of way to use the improved mechanics and backgrounds from the iOS version with the traditional character sprites, at least.

There is a group working on this for the Steam version, which is a port of the Android version. Not sure how far along they are but there are a couple sprites that never existed in the previous ports that they have to make by hand.

I'm curious what the characters would look like if they were just enhanced like everything else. Probably not good.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Forty Nine: Tangled Tentacle Throwdown

Howdy folks, and welcome back! It's been a little while, but last time on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we made our way through the cave connecting to Figaro's dungeon. Today, we're going to figure out what's going on in Figaro, and what the deal with that mysterious Gerad is, so let's roll.

Don't worry, that guy isn't dead.

He is, however, suffocating, which might be worse. I'm not sure, I've never been dead or been in a situation where suffocation was a real possibility.

Since we're currently buried under the sand, we can't explore elsewhere in the castle.

But, if you'll recall the staircase that this old man blocked us from earlier, you know where we're going. He's also unable to breathe, but at least he's standing up and being a man about it.

There are enemies in here, but just the same ones we encountered in the cave on the way over here.

Coming into this room, there's some treasure to be snagged before we continue on.

The other chest is an X-Potion, while the two on the other side are a Gravity Rod and a Crystal Helm.

We'll swing around this way to grab another helmet, one that proves actually useful.

Remember, the general rule of this game is to boost your magic stat.

Only Leave and Remain can equip the Royal Crown, which makes sense, since they're the only royalty in the party.

We're nearly at the boss here, too. It's a very short dungeon.

Sidenote, but the thing above the door, I'm not sure if it's a torch or not, but it has always looked like a snake about to bite your face to me.

Gerad!

Oh. There's currently a bigger issue than Remain pretending to be someone else.

Quickly, you guys distract the tentacles by feeding them your blood and we'll fetch the booty!

Or that. We can do that, too.

Don't you think the monsters are a little more important, Liv?

Y'know, it's impolite to give someone the finger when asking for help.

:ducksiren:They look like big spaghettis!:ducksiren:

There are actually four enemies in this boss fight, but that doesn't make them any more threatening.

Okay, so, these guys each have different health, weaknesses, and resistances. Starting from the top-right and going clockwise, Blinky has 5,000 HP and is weak to nothing, but absorbs Lightning and Water; Pinky has 7,000 HP and is weak to Ice and Water, but absorbs Fire; Inky has 6,000 HP and is weak to Fire, absorbing Ice and Water; Clyde has 4,000 HP, absorbs Earth and Water, and is weak to nothing.

Pinky and Clyde can be instantly killed with Break, while Inky can be killed with Instant Death (such as when Remain's Chainsaw procs it).

But, we're not going to do that, mostly because I just learned about that from their FFWiki page and had no idea about it when recording this update.

They have the ability to Slow party members, which can lead to them Grabbing them later on. Hermes Sandles will grant immunity to Slow, as an added benefit of the auto-Haste, but it's not what I would consider a major concern.

Wind, by the way, is perfectly effective against any of these guys. Razor Gale is a huge boon here, especially since it's free and hits all four enemies at once.

And for good damage, too.

:allears:

If a party member is slowed and not cured in time, they will be grabbed by a Tentacle. While Grabbed, they're unavailable to fight and slowly have their HP/MP drained, but if the holding Tentacle is killed, then they're put back into place.

Which pretty well sums up how this fight goes.

It's nothing difficult and you can basically sleepwalk your way through the fight. They can cast Bio against your guys, as well as use Entwine to inflict Slow. They'll counter with Stun, so chances are, someone is going to end up Grabbed.

So you joined up with--Crimson Band? That's what the group of thieves was called? The FFWiki just keeps teaching me.

What, shovels aren't for sale anywhere?

Remain, you could have just followed them. They didn't seem like the brightest group around.

But, hey, I'm sure it was easier to dye your hair, change the color of your clothes and persuade them that you were a super-badass bandit who should totally be shown how to get back into Castle Figaro.

Suddenly, a noise!

See? Remain could have followed these guys wearing an Iron Man suit made of poo poo lying around the kitchen and they wouldn't have noticed.

I was going to say something about meeting bosses and them being old, but there's a quote about that and I can't be assed to look it up.

See, it looks like spooky snakes on either side of the door.

"Hey, Olivia. I'm gon' get ya."

"Go away, wallsnake, nobody loves you."

"Rude."

I was going to make a joke about women here, but then I thought about if my wife would want to slap me if I did; I concluded she would want to. Therefore, I'll refrain.

I'm sure crime can be viewed a little differently now, since Kefka killed most of the people on the planet.

:cop: "Your Honor, we caught the defendant making GBS threads on a public sidewalk."

:btroll: "Did he use the Laser of Judgement to do so?"

:cop: "Uh...No?"

:btroll: "Case dismissed!"

Finally, Leave! It's almost like you don't actually have to be here for this.

Remain is the second party member that we have to pick up. The third will be showing up shortly, and he's also the last. After snagging him, we can actually go to Kefka's Tower and beat the game.

But, we won't be doing that. We're going to go get everyone back.

The bandits cleaned out nearly everything from this room.

Except for a new weapon, which will be added to the pile.

While the Evasion boost is nice, it lowers magic and using a physical attack will drain some MP.

Also, Remain is leading the party now, because why not.

Hey, getting the engine turned back on restored the air. Was that mentioned somewhere before? I honestly don't remember. But, I guess having an air filtration system is a good thing if you have a mobile subterranean castle.

Sorry, bud, we've poo poo to do.

Without doing this poo poo, we're not getting anywhere. Literally, we've gotta do this to proceed.

But, we deserve a little break first.

Next time, we're going to get the final mandatory party member, so stay tuned!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The one time status effects would have worked and it's on a wimpy boss that you can blitz (or Blitz) without effort.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Is it a petrify-esque game over if all living party members get grabbed, like that rear end in a top hat Carry Armor in FF7?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Oh sure, the aspir spell in weapon form sounds nice, but it can't drain more mp from the enemy than you're lacking so it's mostly useless.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I wonder if anyone's ever tried taking on Kefka with just the required party and won- without high levels or cheating.

Welcome back Leave!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

achtungnight posted:

I wonder if anyone's ever tried taking on Kefka with just the required party and won- without high levels or cheating.
Yes. There are 3 required party members* and it's a special challenge to run with just those 3. Supposedly, someone in Japan beat the game at like level 10 with only those 3 and I've seen runs with only those 3 at level 20, so it's definitely possible.

*Leave aka Sabin is not required. You can let him hold up that house for all eternity if you'd like.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 22, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

MR. J posted:

Is it a petrify-esque game over if all living party members get grabbed, like that rear end in a top hat Carry Armor in FF7?

The tentacles throw you back eventually. Nothing stops them from immediately re-grabbing you, though.

That fight hosed me up as a dumb kid who was treating MP like elixirs; Sabin not having Air Blade didn't help as I was also underleveled :doh:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, that fight proved a big pain in the rear end when I first did it. Wasn't prepared for all the grabbing and couldn't do enough damage to particularly stop it.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I always make sure to have a couple of Hermes' Sandals around for this fight; I like to run at low-ish levels for most of the game and not having to worry about two of three characters getting grabbed makes things that much easier. Plus, I can never remember which tentacles can be instantly killed either and at low levels this fight can be a bit tough to get through doing thing the "normal" way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, burying some treasure and then pointing people to go dig it up is a time-tested means of economic stimulus. Just imagine all the things those thieves are buying now.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Yeah the pubs and cathouses are booming right now.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Fifty: Tomb Of The Unknown Gambler

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, we helped Remain get Figaro Castle back, as well as saving all the people inside of it and ensuring that it can move between deserts again. Today, in a longer update than usual, we're going to get our last mandatory party member and explore where dead people live, so let's roll.

I'm trying to remember anything notable about this town. I'm drawing a blank.

Hey, shed some light on that for us.

Oh, God, not with a flashback!

Incredibly, I do not remember anything worthwhile from this old woman's ramblings.

First things first, we're going to go check out their weapon selection.

And armor, as well as items. It's best to be prepared.

HMM I WONDER WHO THE NEXT PARTY MEMBER IS

Clearly, it's Galuf.

That sounds more like something you'd want to find a cure for.

More about the Coliseum later. Probably when we visit there. It's a good way to get some good poo poo.

This guy isn't actually hidden behind this house; he just walked back there before I could talk to him.

There's some very important things to do in Narshe, but now isn't the time.

Yeah, he's just sitting over there.

I know. I was hoping for someone more useful myself.

Anyways, Han is the final mandatory party member. After this next segment, if we so desired, we could go to Kefka's Tower, fight our way through, and beat the game with just Olivia, Remain and Han.

The World of Ruin is basically a gigantic series of sidequests, which include hunting down legendary monsters, gathering all of our old party members (and two new ones), finding more Espers, and gaining plenty of shiny new equipment.

Didn't you only join the party because you lost a coin toss? I wouldn't say you had that much drive to begin with.

In a world that's practically dead, shouldn't you be free-er than ever before?

:emo:

Did he? I mostly just remember him giving up his airship and helping out with that one fight.

That's the nice thing about dreams; they're infinite. You can never have too many dreams.

For example, Olivia's dream is now about making this moron join up with us again.

See, dreams do come true!

Sure, why not.

...You mind explaining that a little bit more?

That...That doesn't really explain anything, Han.

However, this game did teach me that Darill isn't just a dude's name.

Even if it did teach me the stupidest possible spelling for that name.

Darill's Tomb is just west of Kohlingen. Not sure why this place wasn't around in the World of Balance.

This is the beginning of a sidequest to have this guy join our party.

Nah, I'm just joshin' you. He's just telling us if we get our asses to Narshe that we can grab a new Esper.

Alright, so, I bought some Viper Darts.

Han is one of those guys I'm never sure what to do with. Slots is kind of a crap ability, as are his stats.

Hmm. Let's do something more gamblerish.

There we go! We've given him a battle gimmick. The Viper Darts are also a terrible idea in the next dungeon, for reasons I'll explain when we get in there.

As for the dice, the way they deal damage is kind of unique. Their damage is calculated by Han's level doubled, multiplied by the roll of each die (they go up to six, like standard dice). Figure something like (Han's Level x 2) x (dice roll 1) x (dice roll 2); if Han was level 20, it would be (20 x 2) x (6) x (6), which comes out to 1,440.

Thanks go out to Smash for helping me format that correctly. Math is not my strong suit.

And here we are.

That's just a big rock.

Uh-huh.

I'd be more likely to believe that if she wasn't dead.

It's never really stated for sure, but it seems like Han built this place.

Keep that in mind when we're exploring.

Just barely into the second floor, we encounter a new enemy!

The Cloudwraith is undead, as are most of the enemies we'll be facing down here. The Viper Darts have a 25% chance of inflicting Death on an enemy; in the case of the undead, that'll proc every time we use them, which just restores them with full HP.

Being undead, Holy and Fire are the main weaknesses here.

This guy has 2,058 HP and drops 485 EXP and 385 Gil, and they will rarely drop Amulets, which prevent Poison, Blind and Zombie. These guys can turn your characters into zombies or steal their HP, but they're not very dangerous at all.

You might think this is Darill's tombstone, but no. It's just a tombstone, with no clues about who it belongs to.

That opens a hidden passage.

Remember, this was probably built by Han. For his dead friend.

The Exoray, the flower, is Undead, while the Malboro is just a Malboro.

Exorays can be dicks, especially with this attack.

It makes someone a Zombie, which can be cured with Holy Water. Being a Zombie renders you invincible, but you'll attack your allies (with very small chances to Blind or Poison them), and the afflicted character is considered unconscious by the game, so if the rest of the party falls (or is Zombified), then it's a Game Over.

Olivia needed a quick boost to her MP, and she's getting it here.

By stealing all of Leave's. Which is actually kind of okay; Blitzes don't cost MP.

We picked this little toy up in Figaro, from one of the shops.

It targets an enemy, but does no damage.

It just assigns them a random elemental weakness, which could conceivably come in handy.

The Holy Water cleared up the Zombie quite nicely, but Olivia is now a pillow poke away from death.

Exorays have 1,200 HP, so we nearly killed this one with a bunch of overgrown chickens. The Malboro is hardier, at 2,900 HP. Their name in the US translation was Mad Oscar, by the way, which is much better.

The Exoray is weak to Fire and Holy, if you didn't know.

Meanwhile, the Malboro is weak to Fire, and is not an undead creature. They absorb Poison and Water, too. They still have their Bad Breath attack, which throws an assload of status effects on,

Malboros give out 780 EXP and 2292 Gil each, while the Exoray gives out 449 EXP and 370 Gil.

Oh, hey, a mysterious button in a tomb. Let's hit it.

Raising that water is important, as you'll see soon.

Heading down there nets us this very strong helmet.

Straight up, it's the strongest helmet around.

But not for our magic users. Oh, no, they'll have very different equipment.

Guys, Han might be a serial killer who built an elaborate tomb to house his victims.

This is actually unnecessary, but gives you a kind of hint about a hard to find treasure.

Magic might be incredibly powerful in this game, but the cool thing about Remain is that he doesn't need magic to be powerful. His tools have that covered, as well as having quite a bit of utility with them. He can potentially Confuse, Blind, Poison or instantly kill enemies; the Chainsaw and Drill ignore Defense with their attacks, and the Auto-Crossbow hits all enemies without splitting the damage up, as do the Bioblaster, Noiseblaster, and Flash. He has one tool left to get which inflicts Heat, which kills an enemy the next time it performs an action, and let's not forget his latest tool, which just goes ahead and gives a loving elemental weakness to an enemy. Sure, maybe it's Water, but it could also be Fire, Ice or LIghtning, Holy or Poison; Remain has a lot of fancy loving tricks up his sleeve, in addition to being able to use a lot of heavy gear and excellent weapons.

What I'm saying is that Remain is loving boss and you can buy most of his tools, barring the Chainsaw and his final one, the Air Anchor, but you find those two easily enough. Maybe not the Chainsaw, if you don't know the trick, but you can steal it from an enemy in Kefka's Tower.

I'll give you a minute to guess who gets this.

If you guessed Olivia, you were loving wrong!

Wendy will make good use of those stat boosts, but it won't take long to get something better for her. Oh, no, not long at all. :getin:

Turtle!

Okay, we hit that button, so let's loop back around.

And go through the door we haven't hit yet.

Where we ride a turtle across a small patch of water.

To hit this switch by that door.

Which brings that turtle up to our level, but first, we're heading down here.

"Y O U R E N E X T"

...wat

Uh-huh...

So, now, we have something we can carve into this tombstone. But what order?

We go from the bottom to the top, which gives us that mess of words. If we flip them around, we're told

T H E W O R L D I S S Q U A R E

And then we're told this odd message.

Heading back there, we go through a secret passage.

To find something that sounds like it could be awesome.

And it's...Okay? I mean, you could use this for some quick grinding and stat boosting, but this is nothing to really get excited about.

With that done, let's continue on.

We're about to fight a bonus boss, of sorts. At the very least, it's a side boss that we don't need to fight.

And it's a monster-in-a-box, to boot. Kind of a dirty trick, if you ask me.

:ducksiren:But not dirty enough to stop us!:ducksiren:

Remember Ymir, from the very beginning of the game? It was the snail monster that Terra, Biggs and Wedge fought?

It liked Lightning, too, and despised having its shell attacked.

This is the same kind of deal; attack the head, leave the shell alone.

The head only has 9,845 HP, so it's not very tough. The shell has 9,230, but we're not going to kill that. Not much point to, especially since it will counter attacks made against it.

In case you forgot the formula for damage here, it's (Han's level x 2) x (Roll 1) x (Roll 2).

I couldn't remember Han's level here, but with the application of some math, I figured out that it was 30.

Now, watch, I've done that wrong.

Keep in mind, Han has two Dice equipped, so he's got some potential for good damage. A weapon for him later on in this same vein throws three dice with each shot, further increasing that potential.

I don't recall if I've shown this off yet, but in case I didn't, this is Chakra.

It takes Leave's current HP and restores HP of the party based on that, by dividing it among the three of them. Leave himself gains no health from this and it's only really useful when he's at full or high health.

This thing is actually weak to Fire, which I didn't know until I was reading about it in the bestiary.

It would have helped to look that up beforehand.

This is 1,000 Needles, which I'm sure we've seen before.

Even so, 1,000 damage is nasty.

Attacking the shell will get us a Gigavolt in return.

Which also hurts.

The shell can also use this, which is Earth elemental; I could have nullified this with the use of the Gaia Gear, but the Angler Whelk isn't difficult enough to warrant that much preparation.

I love the pushback effect of Aura Cannon.

But not as much as I love the effect that fire attacks give to the sprites. It just looks so cool, like the inverted death animation of enemies in Earthbound.

If not for the new ultimate weapons in this game, we would currently have Leave's second best weapon.

Whoa-oh-oh ho-oh, here she comes...

Humanoids includes soldiers and their ilk. Some monsters qualify for that as well, including the Hill Gigas or the Naude from the Floating Continent.

We're just about done here. We have the actual boss, then we're going to find whatever the hell Han has hidden down here.

...What was that noise?

:ducksiren:Oh, snap, son, it's the boss!:ducksiren:

Dullahan there looks pretty fuckin' wicked.

And it has a brand new attack for us!

Now, I'm sure you're wondering how the hell that works. Level ? Holy works by hitting people who have a level divisible by the last digit of your Gil, as opposed to a set number.

Now, you might be thinking that Dullahan here is an Undead creature; perfectly reasonable thought. Most of our enemies so far have been undead.

While he is weak to Fire, he's not actually an undead monster. Despite what appearances would tell you.

It's kind of odd, really.

Dullahan can also use Blizzaga, regular Holy, Northern Cross (which can inflict Frozen on the party), Absolute Zero, or Morningstar, which is just a beefed up regular attack.

He can also heal himself, but that's a laughable amount to restore. He's got 23,450 HP at max.

I didn't really cut down that fight, either. I showed the highlights, which were mostly him getting his rear end beat.

Alright, let's go.

Oh?

I'd ask you to talk about them, but we're going to leave them for next time. See, I have enough screenshots that I could extend this update out much farther than it needs to be; I still have 85 screenshots left, and I don't think any of you want to go through a nearly 300 screenshot update. That's kind of excessive.

But next time, we'll visit Han's old memories, and then it's time for a vote. Stay tuned.

Leave fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 26, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You can actually summon Shoat against Whelk 2.0 and get 2 Dragon Claws. I found that out on accident when I was trying to heal and my thumb slipped

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

This is kinda the key point where they demonstrate that status effects mean more in the World of Ruin

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Dullahan always bothered me. It's a skeleton with a team of flaming horses that is somehow not undead and also weak to fire.

And I don't know why Darill's tomb bothers you. When I die I expect my friends to build me a motherfucking Tomb of Horrors level death-trap to put my corpse in. :colbert:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Dullahan always bothered me. It's a skeleton with a team of flaming horses that is somehow not undead and also weak to fire.

And I don't know why Darill's tomb bothers you. When I die I expect my friends to build me a motherfucking Tomb of Horrors level death-trap to put my corpse in. :colbert:

But if they do that, then that means you're friends with Han. Is that really okay?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Geocities Homepage King posted:

See, but that only works if you have some valuable stuff like a shitload of treasure or a "pair of wings" or some ancient artifact. Nobody's going to give a poo poo about your deathtrap if it's just your decayed corpse and some clothes.

Though I guess you could always spread fake rumors before your death of fabulous prizes, so people think your Tomb is worth fighting through even if it isn't. Maybe plant a few crusty old journals in an unused part of the local library?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I read somewhere that Terra was also mandatory for Kefka's Tower due to a magic barrier only she could break that you only see if you fly close without her in the party. Did they change that for this version of FF6?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Leavemywife posted:

But if they do that, then that means you're friends with Han. Is that really okay?

If it gets me a bad rear end tomb? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Leavemywife posted:

We go from the bottom to the top, which gives us that mess of words. If we flip them around, we're told

T H E W O R L D I S S Q U A R E

Which is untrue. It's a torus. Which, come to think of it, must make the day/night cycle really strange for the parts of the world on the inside edge.

Or, you know, this is just a reference to the company that made the game.

• Locked thread