Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

priznat posted:

Which was the nvidia card maker that had bad coil whine, was it MSI? I had one of those previously (580) but it was solid as well without a whine.

All cards (and many many other electronic components) are susceptible to coil whine. Video cards tend to be the most noticeable because many components are run at very high frequencies. It also typically only happens under load for the same reason.
I had an Asus Strix 970 that had coil whine so bad I could hear it clearly in another room.
The I had an MSI Sea Hawk EK X 1070, arguably one of the best 1070 AIO designs, and it had mild, almost not detectable coil whine.
Recently I got an MSI Sea Hawk EK X 1080ti and it has 0 coil whine, even with my ear up to the card at full load it's totally silent.
It's totally luck of the draw.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
My only experience with a Gigabyte motherboard was back in 2003-2004 era. I had a Geforce 2 video card and the new MB+CPU+RAM I just bought would just not lit up. A friend brought me his video card (a Geforce 4) and everything worked perfectly.

Conclusion: they hosed up on their voltages, or in some way or another did not meet the specs required by the older video card. A new videocard worked fine. I've used that motherboard (after having to buy a GF 4) for a few years, but to be honest there was nothing much about it. The dual-bios thingy was a nice reassuring feature, but I never had to use it, unlike the "flash BIOS from the USB slot" of my asus MB.

Another anecdote: I bought a few years back a 3ware hardware RAID card ($400, hardware RAID 5 ... eh). I put it in my ASUS motherboard, everything was peachy. I've read on forums that gigabyte motherboards were not able to run that card since they did not supply the required current (voltages?) to the PCI-E cards that 3ware needed. Actually, the only way to run those cards was either on a server-level motherboard or on ASUS ones. Therefore, YMMV. I, for one, would never ever touch an Gigabyte motherboard again.

But I do have a Gigabyte 970 GPU running now in my PC, bought a long time ago, and is running smoothly and never had a problem with it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Paul MaudDib posted:

EVGA, MSI Armor, or Zotac AMP! are all fine for the most part, especially if you are going to AIO it anyway. Many of them will actually honor the warranty regardless of your modifications as long as you didn't actually gently caress up the card somehow. If you are going to splash out for a high-end custom board the Galax x80 Ti HOFs are the way to go, a lot of the midrange boards like EVGA FTW or whatever are actually kinda hokey and not worth much over a reference PCB. Galax doesn't pull their punches on the HOF, it's crazy expensive but it actually does deliver.

Are there any AMD-associated AIB partners that aren't scum about their whole warranty? Gigabyte is decent but I wouldn't say amazing.

I actually like Gigabyte's motherboards though, what is supposed to be wrong with them?

A few things - as mentioned, they have a habit of releasing a product, having it get glowing reviews, and then quietly bringing out new revisions that replace components with cheaper ones. A few years ago, people also determined that they'd designed bios software that would deliberately display fake voltage figures and other information to make it appear as if their boards were providing better overclocking results than they actually were.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Paul MaudDib posted:

AIO cooling is the minimum buy-in for the 1080 Ti IMO. Get an Armor and tear the cooler off.

Otherwise you are talking about getting into triple-slot cooling and still not even keeping it all that cool. And keeping Pascal cool is priority #1, since otherwise GPU Boost won't let the throttles get too far open. It really likes to run below 60C if you can do it.

Meh. The gigabyte aorus, MSI Gaming x and says strix are all good air options. Most cards can maintain near 2000 MHz at 1V. Sure you can get more performance under AIO but you're talking a few percent at most but he cost will also be slightly more. I'd call that a wash IMO.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 1, 2017

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually like Gigabyte's motherboards though, what is supposed to be wrong with them?

Just my experience with my Z170X-Gaming 5, but the board itself is fine, the BIOS updates often aren't.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've never personally owned an Asrock motherboard but we buy a lot at work and it'll probably be my go to on the next build. Asus has gone too wacky with the floater lights and a lot of extra poo poo no one needs.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What about EVGA motherboards? They seem like no nonsense here's what you need to perform with no stupid LEDs/RGB garbage.

I mean the only issue I see is they use Killer for networking stuff which from my own experience with an MSI Gaming 5 board makes it almost a deal breaker. Almost.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

priznat posted:

I've never personally owned an Asrock motherboard but we buy a lot at work and it'll probably be my go to on the next build. Asus has gone too wacky with the floater lights and a lot of extra poo poo no one needs.

My last two previous boards were asrock. One ran a sandy from launch date until it croaked last may :3:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
EVGA motherboards are nice, but among the most expensive options. When I won one I had no problem using it, but I couldn't see buying one. You can disable the 2nd NIC and just use the Intel one and if you really need both you can .inf mod the drivers to load stock drivers onto the killer NIC, there's no difference in the hardware just a different ID.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

What about EVGA motherboards? They seem like no nonsense here's what you need to perform with no stupid LEDs/RGB garbage.

I mean the only issue I see is they use Killer for networking stuff which from my own experience with an MSI Gaming 5 board makes it almost a deal breaker. Almost.

EVGA lost my business for heavily advertising their lifetime warranty and then when my video card failed after 1.5 yrs they said "oh you didn't register it, it is out of warranty"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wirth1000 posted:

EVGA motherboards are not all that great, hardware wise they vary from bad to quite good but software wise they tend to lag the competition pretty badly, nasty bugs that persist for months or years before being fixed, bad UIs and lack of features are pretty common. I'd rank them below ASUS, ASRock, MSI & Gigabyte but above companies like Biostar or ECS.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow, I did not even know EVGA made motherboards. I will have to check them out because I do like their PSUs and GPUs.

Next you will tell me Corsair makes motherboards too!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've built and sold a ton of ASROCK mobos. Haven't had any die and I like them quite a bit.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
ASRock are so cheap compared to the other brands I'd usually default to them unless I had a strong reason to choose something else.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mewse posted:

EVGA lost my business for heavily advertising their lifetime warranty and then when my video card failed after 1.5 yrs they said "oh you didn't register it, it is out of warranty"

I was able to RMA a card I got second hand, didn't register, and didn't have a receipt for without any questions. Twice, since I let the first RMA request lapse because I was too lazy to ship it. It was a card that sells for under $100 so maybe they just wanted to clear their inventory though

mewse
May 2, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I was able to RMA a card I got second hand, didn't register, and didn't have a receipt for without any questions. Twice, since I let the first RMA request lapse because I was too lazy to ship it. It was a card that sells for under $100 so maybe they just wanted to clear their inventory though

I think their policy has changed by now, my situation was like 10 years ago. I got escalated on the phone to a supervisor and they wouldn't do jack poo poo, it was infuriating.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

EVGA motherboards are not all that great, hardware wise they vary from bad to quite good but software wise they tend to lag the competition pretty badly, nasty bugs that persist for months or years before being fixed, bad UIs and lack of features are pretty common. I'd rank them below ASUS, ASRock, MSI & Gigabyte but above companies like Biostar or ECS.

This is actually really disappointing to here although it seems like the boards get pretty good reviews?

An EVGA motherboard is certainly on my horizon for a potential Cannonlake build in the future.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
If money is no object you go:

Asus for motherboards
Evga for gpus
Corsair for ram
Samsung for ssds
Western digital for platter drives.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yah, ASUS has been my typical go-to for motherboards forever. The first ASRock board I ever bought for this current build died in 3 days so I'm personally very hesitant going anywhere near them. Returned it right away for a full refund and picked up an ASUS board and I've been happy since. I'm a big fan of EVGA's GPUs and I just bought an EVGA PSU as well yesterday.

I don't know, I just want to make like a "unity" build at least once where all the parts (or as many parts as possible) are all sourced from the same manufacturer.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

:same:

For some reason I ended up with two MSIs in a row because there was one little thing that I liked that it had but in general ASUS is my goto.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
The BIOS flash button of my motherboard saved my bacon a few times. And it also allowed me to patch my BIOS to make my MB support booting off nvme drive. I would not buy a MB without that button if I could help it. And they were the first that I know of that had that little nice dongle for the case power cables. So much nicer to work with. ASUS is the go-to mb vendor. But I never had to contact support though, so no idea how they behave there.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 2, 2017

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

ColHannibal posted:

If money is no object you go:

Asus for motherboards
Evga for gpus
Corsair for ram
Samsung for ssds

Crucial and Kingston have less failure rates in their RAM with the latter having some of the shortest heatspreaders and thus better compatibility in the HyperX range.

Seasonic's Prime Titanium series the leader in PSUs.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

priznat posted:

ASRock is good. Just look at the components they are using and make sure none are a hassle. Not sure how relevant this is now. With my z77 build it took around 6 months for decent USB 3.0 drivers to come out for one of the hubs they used. Before then it would just turn on+off constantly. Like intermittently, every 5s-8s. ASRock themselves make good enough products that last with the things you want for a decent price.

ColHannibal posted:

If 8tb+ sure, even seagate is good in 8tb+, but if it's 6tb or lower I'd go with HGST. Which is owned by WD now, but the HGST drives have insane reliability for the price.

If you're in the US, bestbuy's ezstore or whatever 8tb externals go on sale for $159.99 regularly and have wd red drives with a 256mb cache in them, are easy to shuck, and you can RMA them. Not sure I'd even bother with any other platter drives these days at the consumer level.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 2, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Khagan posted:

Crucial and Kingston have less failure rates in their RAM with the latter having some of the shortest heatspreaders and thus better compatibility in the HyperX range.

Seasonic's Prime Titanium series the leader in PSUs.

Crucial has always been my goto for ram. Their lifetime warranty is pretty much no questions asked in my experience.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna agree with Seasonic as the best PSUs. I also have used Antec Greenpower 380w units for nearly 10 years and not even one has died.
ASUS makes decent stuff, some less so than others but overall solid. ASRock also solid. Both have crap RMA.
I like ASUS ROG video cards quite a bit. Nicely built and quiet.
Samsung RAM is awesome. Rebranded by many many folks.
Intel, Crucial (crap RMA), Sandisk (now WD), or Samsung for SSD. Hilariously i've only had Samsung SSDs die on me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ColHannibal posted:

Nah, HGST every single time, if money is no object.

Basically only HGST stands out as having better reliability than other drive manufacturers.

Bar a few models, WD vs Seagate is a wash, and basically only people that had a bad experience with one will shill for the other.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 2, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Doesn't WD own HGST?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Doesn't WD own HGST?

Yes, WD also owns Sandisk too now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SourKraut posted:

Doesn't WD own HGST?

Correct, but that doesn't mean the drives are the same. In fact, Toshiba was selling HGST drives for a while even when WD owned HGST because of some monopoly ruling or something.

Alpha Man
Jun 23, 2010

redeyes posted:

ASUS makes decent stuff, some less so than others but overall solid. ASRock also solid.

Rock solid. Heart touching.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

HalloKitty posted:

Correct, but that doesn't mean the drives are the same. In fact, Toshiba was selling HGST drives for a while even when WD owned HGST because of some monopoly ruling or something.

I think that changed in 2015/early 2016 though and everything HGST branded is manufactured by WD now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've been going for ASUS motherboards forever, but I'm planning to go MSI next time because I just went through their RMA for a graphics card, and it was painless and reasonable (took a little while since a replacement had to come all the way from the factory, but when I called I got an answer about what was happening promptly.)

I also think their lower-cost designs are fairly nice, whereas ASUS charges you out the rear end if you want something different than a black PCB with plastic trim colors that were last seen in 2003. You want a white motherboard for $100? MSI has no problem.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i've had several mid-level asus motherboards die on me over the years. after at least a few years of use though which while not ideal is something that you just have to expect i guess. my last PC had a gigabyte z170n-wifi which was not an inexpensive board and that died within a year which is not really acceptable; just up and became completely dead overnight. was annoyed enough by this that i just ripped the whole pc up and sold it for parts.

had a couple of asrock boards and they've been pretty reliable, plus they're cheap as chips. i always hear good things about MSI motherboards, maybe those would be worth a shout if i get back into pc building.

this is all totally anecdotal anyway; do I just have bad luck with motherboards? it always seems to be the component that dies on my computers. never had a cpu or graphics card go bad (and had absolutely no issues with brands like palit with the frog-packaging and £20-cheaper-than-anything-else pricing, i've got a palit HD4870 that's still trucking along in a family member's computer), hell i think the only hard drive death i've had was an ancient maxtor from like 2003. i never think i'm cheaping out when I buy one; maybe i'm just not spending the requisite amount of money to get a product that's actually reliable.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
On the flip side my Asrock Z87 board died silently after a couple months of use and my Gigabyte Z97N Wifi has been trucking along just fine ever since :shrug:

One thing I like about Gigabyte is that (nearly?) all of their boards support USB flashback, which is great when you're trying to put a refresh processor (Kaby Lake, Devil's Canyon) on a first-gen board (Z170 or Z87 respectively) that doesn't have the microcode to support the newer processor. Otherwise you end up in a catch-22 where you can't boot the thing to flash the microcode, and you have to take it back to the store and pay $40 to have it updated.

My other differentiating factors between two similar boards are: Intel LAN, Intel wifi (2x2 or 3x3), and SLI support (except mITX boards obvs).

MSI is good when they're good but you really have to watch them. A lot of their Z170 boards outright do not support certain Kaby Lake processors. They are not on the support list and won't boot even if you flash up.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 3, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

On the flip side my Asrock Z87 board died silently after a couple months of use and my Gigabyte Z97N Wifi has been trucking along just fine ever since :shrug:

One thing I like about Gigabyte is that (nearly?) all of their boards support USB flashback, which is great when you're trying to put a refresh processor (Kaby Lake, Devil's Canyon) on a first-gen board (Z170 or Z87 respectively) that doesn't have the microcode to support the newer processor. Otherwise you end up in a catch-22 where you can't boot the thing to flash the microcode, and you have to take it back to the store and pay $40 to have it updated.

My other differentiating factors between two similar boards are: Intel LAN, Intel wifi (2x2 or 3x3), and SLI support (except mITX boards obvs).

MSI is good when they're good but you really have to watch them. A lot of their Z170 boards outright do not support certain Kaby Lake processors. They are not on the support list and won't boot even if you flash up.

it's almost as if all this is kind of a crapshoot and they're complex pieces of equipment that sometimes fail :'(. i wish i could find motherboard reviews that aren't just a guy reading the specifications off the box though; maybe just a little bit of reliability testing. like, just take 10% of the money that goes into the iphone bend test market and use it to buy motherboards

good on msi tho for making sure not to forget to dick over people wanting to save money on a new board when intel forgets to

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Generic Monk posted:

it's almost as if all this is kind of a crapshoot and they're complex pieces of equipment that sometimes fail :'(

Pretty much, there are certain brands that you kinda want to avoid because they're shitlords about honoring their warranty, there are boards with bad feature sets, but you have to look at it on a board by board basis and accept that a certain amount of every board are just gonna fail regardless.

Nobody in the motherboard business are perennial fuckups to quite the extent that, say, Seagate are in the HDD business. :can:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 3, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My only experience with Gigabyte is a Z77-DS3H which had a widespread problem of not being able to keep time correctly and needing you to up the NTP refresh rate on Windows to every hour or so if you're using it for time-critical tasks. Which, since it was working as a DVR, was important or else you'd miss the opening minute of your shows every few days. I have since avoided them to the extent that I picked an ASUS motherboard fully understanding I'd need to do extra BIOS flashing to get OSX to run on it that I could have avoided by buying Gigabyte, and in a threadbare GPU market I picked a tricked-out 1070 from another manufacturer than Gigabyte's most bare bones 1080.

I've since bought one lower-middle GPU from them and would buy another, but I'm still wary of the motherboards.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah Apple OEMs from Gigabyte (IIRC) so their hardware has far and away the best Hackintosh support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My machine is still Z77/Ivy, and my DVR is now on some Haswell chip that I can't remember. But my understanding is that modifying DSDTs and flashing a custom BIOS is no longer required on the latest Intel lines. Tonymac's hardware lists used to only recommend Gigabyte simply to not have to guide users through these procedures but now recommends all kinds of brands.