Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
wondering if editing the classdata ini files to give Skirmishers shotguns would break poo poo

hmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Moola posted:

wondering if editing the classdata ini files to give Skirmishers shotguns would break poo poo

hmmmmm

I mean, it probably wouldn't, but they're already extremely powerful with the Bullpup. Giving them a Shotgun would be insane.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Reapers are a crime, just disgustingly powerful. By the time you're late game the shrapnel/homing mine combo can wipe pods without being revealed, and with an xmag you can one-shot chosen with banish with zero difficulty.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zore posted:

How are people so low on cores? I've gotten like 20 of the drat things so far and all my abortive attempts have had a ton.

Are you just not prioritizing loot or blowing everything up?

Hell, I doubled loot drops and don't think I've ever had 20 cores in a game. They are just never that common for me.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Bushiz posted:

Reapers are a crime, just disgustingly powerful. By the time you're late game the shrapnel/homing mine combo can wipe pods without being revealed, and with an xmag you can one-shot chosen with banish with zero difficulty.

My first Legendary attempt has the Hunter as my first chosen, and he's weak against explosions AND weak against Reapers.

He first showed up in the first retaliation mission.

His first point of cover on contact is next to a propane tank.

I'm not sure the claymore was even necessary.

edit: But the Assassin is immune to explosions and regenerates :gonk:

Weak to Templar, aim bonus when shooting at him from high ground. Blech.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 4, 2017

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ersatz posted:

How good are sparks now, and how serious are the resource requirements to build them? The little robots saved my rear end in EW when I was low on soldiers, and I'm wondering if I could run Shen's Last Gift and pull the same trick here.

They're pretty good now - base accuracy is up I think, their weapons can take upgrades, the Spark BIT is upgraded with armor instead of paying separately, and they're always available for missions.

masam
May 27, 2010
Hey if I want all my friends that I made in the character pool to be available for any class do I have to leave them all rear end rookies? Can I even get them into a pool to randomly be one of the new units as well as any of the old units?

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

The pig is a huge fat pig.
Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone said earlier that quitting and reloading fixed it.

I've tried that several times with no luck. I guess I'll just have to wait until my soldiers are better equipped or the bug to get fixed, because I can't survive four rounds of killing it with constant reinforcements. What a pain.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bushiz posted:

Even loving stealth I can't love Reapers because I have such a hard time leveling them up. My genius skirmisher that I recruited after Mox died, by contrast, is insanely good. He's a colonel while my starting story Reaper only just now hit captain. My Templar is also just a Captain, but that's partially because she keeps getting dinged up even with Parry and Deflect. She does kill poo poo pretty nicely though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just claymore a pod. easy level up. Or have one flank kill a soldier since they can move freely even during combat.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
After killing all of the chosen, the biggest problem I can see is that there is no pressure to move the game forward - you can reduce avatar progress at whim through covert operations and even with an order that automatically removes a pip at the end of every month. Pre-WOTC generally kept up the pressure to do story missions to keep up in a losing race against avatar - which meant that you'll finish the game with maybe 2 teams of colonels (which, honestly, is plenty for a game with 4 classes).

At this point I've got 17 colonels, 12 majors and 6 captains and have just decided to do the blacksite mission because I had no missions pop up for two weeks; there are zero avatar pips and I have a bunch of soldiers with absolutely ludicrous aim / dodge / mobility / hacking from doing covert ops.

And the missions to kill the chosen were really, really easy - they were much more difficult to face in the random encounters in the field. And once you beat them - well, you get months like this:

So, the upside is that if you have played XCOM 2 a bunch and just want to keep screwing around with god-tier units forever you can do so now without installing some sketchy "no avatar project" mod - and, I must admit, the chosen weapons are really, really godlike. But, the downside is that without the pressure of the avatar project there's simply no incentive to finish the game.

That being said, I wish I hadn't killed off the chosen. They were always at least something that had to be urgently dealt with when they showed up unexpectedly. In fact, I'd almost recommend not killing them off at all just to keep that aspect of the game going. You can still hold off the avatar project at will but the whole late game dynamics would really benefit from the continued pressure from the chosen.

Now after playing through all of the content I have to say that the BEST thing changed in WOTC is the ability point system for leveling up that replaces the AWC. Being able to accrue points to select skills that were previously skipped over because of exclusive choice upon leveling up is awesome. I mean, really; you don't want ALL of them, but being able to have both medical protocol AND combat protocol, revival protocol AND haywire, etc. is fantastic. Plus, 3-4 possible "AWC-style" nontree perks that you buy with points as opposed to one per character that you get on a random level-up - and might not get AT ALL if you roll it before building the AWC - is amazing.

tl;dr next time I play I'm not going to kill the chosen at all.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there anything new with the last plot missions and the ending with WotC? I've killed all the chosen and am kinda feeling disinterested in going further with the vanilla plot and finishing the game.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Verviticus posted:

do mimic beacons do anything now? i havent actually had enemies kill one, they just run past it

This was driving me crazy too, but I think I figured it out: they took away target prioritization for mimic beacons. Before, the fuckers were like catnip and if there was one on the battlefield, all enemies absolutely positively WOULD go after it no matter what it took. Now, they seem to be considered..... just another target, like any other soldier, and not given any prioritization at all.

It seems like the best way to take advantage of this is just to get the mimic beacon as close to them as possible, so it's a very easy shot for them and they can take it in cover. Then there's a high likelihood the beacon will be their target. Be warned though; don't quote me on this, but I think Chosen and Rulers both just ignore beacons outright and never target them.

On an unrelated note, Psi Ops still seems like the absolute best class hands down - hell, even moreso, now. The fatigue mechanic makes it so that you can't keep deploying soldiers indefinitely and have to rotate them, which in turn means they level up slower simply because they can't be killing as often as they used to. You also can't reliably count on having access to Wetwork anymore, what with it getting changed to a Resistance Order. Psi Ops don't have that problem; they still just level up getting stuck in a tube back at base for a few days. As a result, my Psi Op hit Colonel (equivalent) rank long, long before any of my other guys did. And for as powerful as some of the new hero classes might be.... Psionics are still just as busted as ever. They haven't gotten any stronger or weaker, but they were so good to begin with that I still find the best all-around soldiers by far.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 4, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Ugh. Counter Dark Tower or High Alert? Leaning Dark Tower because I need the Intel. (which has both High Explosives and The Lost :gonk: )

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think they've done a really good job with the 3 classes each feeling quite powerful in different scenarios. Before I played the expansion I was sorta doubtful they'd really feel needed, like they wouldn't have a niche. Now though I've had multiple missions where one of them has singlehandedly saved my rear end, Skirmishers might be the least powerful but that's only because some of their skills are bugged, the rebalance mod might skew them too far the other way though.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any recommendations for mods that make SPARKS more powerful, but balanced?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

masam posted:

Hey if I want all my friends that I made in the character pool to be available for any class do I have to leave them all rear end rookies? Can I even get them into a pool to randomly be one of the new units as well as any of the old units?
The Character Pool lies. Even if you say "I want this character to be this class" they can show up in your initial hero pool, show up as a rookie reward, show up in the recruit screen, or even show up as a class you didn't select for them as a mission reward or for buying in the market.

Also, I just had a game crash that erased my L/I save file, which clocked in at four deaths so far. That sucked majorly, because Live Fire Training (all GTS training makes your rookies into sargents) was the best goddamn Reaper faction order ever, and if you haven't gotten it yet, you'll love it.

Seriously though, this expansion has caused the game to crash often whereas pre-expansion I only got a crash or two on the game's launch. Are all those fire and particle effects screwing things up? Time to play an honor-Ironman game, at this rate.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

Even loving stealth I can't love Reapers because I have such a hard time leveling them up. My genius skirmisher that I recruited after Mox died, by contrast, is insanely good. He's a colonel while my starting story Reaper only just now hit captain. My Templar is also just a Captain, but that's partially because she keeps getting dinged up even with Parry and Deflect. She does kill poo poo pretty nicely though.

I've found the Covert Actions a godsend for hard to level units especially if it's only a few days long. Even some action with a reward I don't really want becomes an option if there's a Soldier Promotion slot.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

thebardyspoon posted:

I think they've done a really good job with the 3 classes each feeling quite powerful in different scenarios. Before I played the expansion I was sorta doubtful they'd really feel needed, like they wouldn't have a niche. Now though I've had multiple missions where one of them has singlehandedly saved my rear end, Skirmishers might be the least powerful but that's only because some of their skills are bugged, the rebalance mod might skew them too far the other way though.

Skirmishers are absolutely disgusting but you need to level them up a bit to get there. I also recommend bonding your skirmisher with someone, because you can break the action economy over its knee. If you ever want to see a single soldier fire like 9 times in a round with like a 70% chance to crit from distance you can do it easily.

Reapers feel pretty alright, their scouting is super good and they have very high accuracy, and their explosives are pretty powerful. Templars feel the weakest to me only because their main gimmick is melee focused and they take a little bit of babysitting to get online. Strangely enough parry feels like their most broken skill.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah, I should mention that while I think Skirmishers are amazing, I'm using RealityMachina's rebalance which probably does swing things a little too far towards overpowered, though I really like them in general.

Nova Odin posted:

I've found the Covert Actions a godsend for hard to level units especially if it's only a few days long. Even some action with a reward I don't really want becomes an option if there's a Soldier Promotion slot.
Yeah, I'm starting to use them more and more for this.

One question regarding faction soldiers: Once they hit max rank they're going to stop learning individual AP, right? I could flesh out their tree more but doing that would require dipping into my XCOM pool?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I heard john de lancie in the voices but I didn't realize that basically the rest of the Star Trek TNG cast did voices in it too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
How long do Dark Events last? I've got like three active now. :shepicide:

Also, my kingdom for loving Elerium Cores.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Uh, anyone know why I can't see all of my saves? They show up in the SaveData folder under WotC, but I can't see them in-game to load.

e: I haven't had any issue with this recently and I'd been able to save/load without difficulty before just now.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 4, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
When you give the Spark a rocket launcher the targeting gets kinda strange. Maybe because the rocket is fired from the Bit? In any case it's can be real frustrating trying to get it to go into the right place.

Amusingly, it turns out that random loot scans can still give you Chosen info after you have killed them all.

It turns out that underground chryssalids don't give a gently caress about stealth, unless the ones on the gateway mission are special? I ran my Reaper in to scout and 3 popped up and murdered her, none of which had been near enough to detect her :( Reloaded that poo poo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
How long does it take for the dark event that triggers lost in every mission to go away? I like the lost as a mechanic but having them in every mission is really making the gimmick wear thin.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's bugged so it never goes away. I linked to a mod that fixes it earlier, but I don't know if it helps once it's already active.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

It's bugged so it never goes away. I linked to a mod that fixes it earlier, but I don't know if it helps once it's already active.

Fuuuuck. I guess I'm starting over then. Have firaxis acknowledged that bug? Because that seriously blows.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I posted a bug ticket about it so they should know (uploaded a save and video and everything). If it's any consolation, it actually un-hosed itself after like... 4 or 5 in-game months?

EDIT: alternatively, abuse the lures in the game. It marks the targets in its aoe and the lost will attack those to the exclusion of all else until they're dead, so you can ignore the lost as soon as you throw the lure on a pod. One lure even gets 2 charges.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Hmm, did the game just get glitchy for me? The one time I tried using the dinner bell, I'd already acitvated a pod (but threw the lure at an unrevealed Advent pod that I'd lit up with a Battle Scanner.) They ignored the lure and went after my squad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've seen comments that doing a siterep makes the dark event go away.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I would not be shocked at all if the game just bugged out on you.

EDIT: that might be entirely possible about the sitrep.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tae posted:

I've seen comments that doing a siterep makes the dark event go away.

I'll give that a shot. If that doesn't work though I think I will just start over. Even with workarounds I feel like I'm going to get really sick of the lost by the end of the game and I don't want to end up hating a fun mechanic.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

marshmallow creep posted:

Hell, I doubled loot drops and don't think I've ever had 20 cores in a game. They are just never that common for me.
Get the Elerium Grounds mod then edit the .ini so you can build one for single-digit everything. RNG for the projects never made sense to me.

Deuce posted:

Ugh. Counter Dark Tower or High Alert? Leaning Dark Tower because I need the Intel. (which has both High Explosives and The Lost :gonk: )
One month I got Left Behind and High Alert but managed to delay dark events long enough to stop them both. The third one I didn't pay to reveal ended up being Made Whole :catstare:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 4, 2017

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

It turns out that underground chryssalids don't give a gently caress about stealth, unless the ones on the gateway mission are special? I ran my Reaper in to scout and 3 popped up and murdered her, none of which had been near enough to detect her :( Reloaded that poo poo.

Nah, they weren't special; I had a similar thing happen on a retaliation mission.

I think it's cute that some of the old enemies sort-of frustrate the new classes, though. Mutons punish a careless Templar, underground Chryssalids detect Reapers, and I'm sure hundreds of Moxes have gotten incinerated by that first Purifier.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
welp that was definitely a mission

Supply raid in Lost territory, then a chosen shows up and it turns into a 3 way battle while I'm trying to stop this power ranger boss killing my dudes and fulton extract boxes

this DLC rocks!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
One of the mods I've installed has disabled the tutorial. By that I mean the tutorial is hard-locked out and I can't select it, even if I don't select any second wave options and have the difficulty low enough. Any common suggestions that might do that?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Remind me to give covert ops soldiers a pair of Spider/Wraith suits. Having one that can grapple and one that can't limits options unless you have Advanced Teamwork.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Innerguard posted:

Any common suggestions that might do that?

Dump the Second Wave Reborn mod. If you use the Commander's Choice option it deletes all your AWC skills from the soldier, in addition to denying you the awesomeness of Jane Kelly.

Moola posted:

welp that was definitely a mission

Supply raid in Lost territory, then a chosen shows up and it turns into a 3 way battle while I'm trying to stop this power ranger boss killing my dudes and fulton extract boxes

this DLC rocks!

Same mission, same 'holy gently caress!!!' response to it. poo poo just gets wild with grenades flying all over the place and about fifty lost on your screen. Best dlc!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

jfood posted:

Dump the Second Wave Reborn mod. If you use the Commander's Choice option it deletes all your AWC skills from the soldier, in addition to denying you the awesomeness of Jane Kelly.

Same mission, same 'holy gently caress!!!' response to it. poo poo just gets wild with grenades flying all over the place and about fifty lost on your screen. Best dlc!

That fixed it! I'm sure I had it enabled previously and had the tutorial option. I was mostly going to use it for hidden potential and not created equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You can pick up not created equal and hidden potential as stand alone mods, plus the really old version of Commander's Choice still does the trick.