Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Southern states have been teaching some manner of bullshit excuses since the war ended. Usually it's that Lincoln only wanted to preserve the Union, and that secession wasn't about slavery. Before WWII the figure that got invoked in the South when you wanted to allude ultimate evil, like you would with Hitler today, was Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
J

LingcodKilla posted:

Any of you guys getting idiots posting the Lincoln was ok with slavery to preserve the union/Lee was ok with ending slavery to save the union? I know the quotes are real but talk is cheap. What actually happened is ignored.

I'm gonna start having to cut and paste a reply to these idiots trying to suck off the traitor Lee.

Just go with direct source quotes. The secession announcements and casus belli published by the traitor state governments in particular. Nearly everyone of them specifically declares slavery to be a key issue in their secession / declaration of war.

Edit: also if Lee was all about freeing slaves why did he wait five years to free his father in laws slaves after the man's will directed they be freed? Gotta make that CREAM

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 6, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/WeatherSarov/status/905553037179199494

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

I don't know how to feel about that, I've got a bunch of friends in Florida so I don't want the place wiped out. On the other hand, if that place specifically got wiped out I'd throw a party. I mean, scientifically, there isn't any reason the hurricane couldn't just sit and smash that and dissipate, I'll put my hopes on that.

What we really should be hoping for is a real-life example of that Simpsons episode where a hurricane hits Springfield and only Flanders' house gets destroyed, except in this case people should come together to point and laugh and piss on the rubble of Mar-a-Lago instead of helping to rebuild it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

jesus loving christ

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Any of you guys getting idiots posting the Lincoln was ok with slavery to preserve the union/Lee was ok with ending slavery to save the union? I know the quotes are real but talk is cheap. What actually happened is ignored.

I'm gonna start having to cut and paste a reply to these idiots trying to suck off the traitor Lee.

All the secession docs said the same thing, maneuvering around saying "it's about slaves, while still making it about keeping slaves.
Trust Texas to be straight with it-
Reference the third paragraph of the articles of secession for Texas:

"Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time."

Also South Carolina:
"The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 26th day of April, A.D., 1852, declared that the frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States, by the Federal Government, and its encroachments upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in then withdrawing from the Federal Union; but in deference to the opinions and wishes of the other slaveholding States, she forbore at that time to exercise this right. Since that time, these encroachments have continued to increase, and further forbearance ceases to be a virtue"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FastestGunAlive posted:

J

Just go with direct source quotes. The secession announcements and casus belli published by the traitor state governments in particular. Nearly everyone of them specifically declares slavery to be a key issue in their secession / declaration of war.

Edit: also if Lee was all about freeing slaves why did he wait five years to free his father in laws slaves after the man's will directed they be freed? Gotta make that CREAM

I've been watching the civil war series someone recommended and the confederate constitution had the line "the negro is not equal to the white man" as one of their founding principles so uhhhhh yeah

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sweet destruction of construction!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FastestGunAlive posted:

J

Why weren't Lee or Davis tried for treason? You'd think it would be a open-and-shut case.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Two Finger posted:

I've been watching the civil war series someone recommended and the confederate constitution had the line "the negro is not equal to the white man" as one of their founding principles so uhhhhh yeah

One of the dudes posting this drivel is black Virginian.

His mom is hot as gently caress white lady who only dates black dudes.

Way to be a rebel kiddo.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lordy. Looks like someone dropped a JDAM on that house in the first picture.

BigDave posted:

Why weren't Lee or Davis tried for treason? You'd think it would be a open-and-shut case.

Call it Truth and Reconciliation. Prosecuting lots of Southerners as traitors would only cause further simmering unrest and, most likely, an ongoing guerrilla insurgency.

...moreso than the KKK already was, at any rate.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

BigDave posted:

Because they were wealthy white American just trying to do their best

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BigDave posted:

Andrew Johnson was a southerner not really interested in revenge. Very high on my list of worst presidents.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

BigDave posted:

They didn't go after the big Confederate ringleaders in any meaningful way in order to avoid stirring up the embers of the war. The entire reintegration of the South was handled with kid gloves, especially after the fact that Lincoln got capped as a direct consequence of lingering Confederate sentiment.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Casimir Radon posted:

Southern states have been teaching some manner of bullshit excuses since the war ended. Usually it's that Lincoln only wanted to preserve the Union, and that secession wasn't about slavery. Before WWII the figure that got invoked in the South when you wanted to allude ultimate evil, like you would with Hitler today, was Lincoln.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Fall of the House of Dixie is a very good read if you're looking for reference work on how slavery wrapped itself around the south like a choking vine - not just in terms of agricultural production but how it insinuated itself into the socioeconomic fabric of southern life, how owning slaves was an aspirational pursuit with the same cynical weaponized publicity we describe today with the term "temporarily-embarrassed millionaires," and how that metastasis made war all but inevitable because the culture down there had gotten so defined by slavery ownership that the people who owned most of the slaves were the nobility in every sense of the word, with a thrall society more than willing to kill their own countrymen for a chance to one day host grand parties on a myrtle-strewn plantation with all of the perverse opulence of antebellum wealth.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

i sure hope that static discharge doesnt blow them up, i bet those plastic bins arent grounded

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Your avatar made that post awesome.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is there a good book about the political mechanics the south used/invented to leave the union?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4t8FhYPE8

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/nils_gilman/status/905552250730291201

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Anytime someone brings up states rights I just copy/paste the Cornerstone Speech by Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens. There's always some comical mental gymnastics as to why it doesn't count or isn't what they really meant. Then again I've had people just drop all pretenses and accuse me of being a traitor to my race because I married a mixed woman.

"Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that was the quote I was talking about.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Casimir Radon posted:

I read an interesting piece some years ago that up to mid-late 17th century, slavery really was not taking hold in the colonies until an entire British colonial infrastructure from one of the Caribbean islands was moved (at the King's behest, iirc) to South Carolina. They had a highly efficient, and therefore highly profitable plantation slave labor system going, which they insisted on bringing with. Rinse, repeat a few generations and the rest of the South were onboard. South Carolina were the most rabid about secession, and the first.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
a girl i was talking to in high school (who was cute and had a twin so.. yeah) said some hosed up poo poo and i asked her "do you not like black people?" and she said "um, you haven't seen the confederate flag on my car?"

that was all i needed to hear to make my mind up about what the confederate flag means, tbh.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Anytime someone brings up states rights I just copy/paste the Cornerstone Speech by Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens. There's always some comical mental gymnastics as to why it doesn't count or isn't what they really meant. Then again I've had people just drop all pretenses and accuse me of being a traitor to my race because I married a mixed woman.

"Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth"

last time i brought up the articles of succession to one of these people they just screamed FAKE NEWS and refused to look

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

last time i brought up the articles of succession to one of these people they just screamed FAKE NEWS and refused to look

Hell, its literally the only thing in the Confederate Constitution that the Confederate States COULD NEVER outlaw. I wonder why.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Mambold posted:

I read an interesting piece some years ago that up to mid-late 17th century, slavery really was not taking hold in the colonies until an entire British colonial infrastructure from one of the Caribbean islands was moved (at the King's behest, iirc) to South Carolina. They had a highly efficient, and therefore highly profitable plantation slave labor system going, which they insisted on bringing with. Rinse, repeat a few generations and the rest of the South were onboard. South Carolina were the most rabid about secession, and the first.

I was always taught that it was the invention of the cotton gin that lead to large manpower requirements in growing it and that prior to it, slavery was dying out or not as integral.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
actually slavery was invented in africa by black people

-an actual thing people say

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey the maori liked slavery I'll have you know. Also cannibalism

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

actually slavery was invented in africa by black people

-an actual thing people say

and what about the Irish, who where lower than black slaves!?! - An actual dumb thing I saw once.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I really hope Mar-A-Lago survives, only to get knocked out by a hurricane named Jose.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Welp, looks like I'm taking one for the team you guys.

Burn, maralago, burn.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So are we getting Mad Max, Fallout, Waterworld, or The Road?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

KildarX posted:

and what about the Irish, who where lower than black slaves!?! - An actual dumb thing I saw once.

my father in law does this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bengy81 posted:

So are we getting Mad Max, Fallout, Waterworld, or The Road?

Snow Piercer instead of a giant train that does loops through the world with rich people making GBS threads on everyone and poors eating cockroaches, It'll be a bunch of islands.

• Locked thread