Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

No chopsticks in picture, 2/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

No chopsticks in picture, 2/10

Look again, they're jumbo size aluminum adaptive chopsticks with wood handles. I belive some call them "tongs"?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Should someone who is not me make a "post your kitchen" thread so all of us are motivated to clean, and post our kitchens?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My go to queso is a little beer +citrate brought to simmer, whisk in cheddar cheese, then add cooked sausage (or ground beef, blah), and a can or rotel. Add a little paprika and cumin and season to taste.

Tried this today with a porter beer. Tasted like rarebit. Liked it but felt really trashy eating it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Tried this today with a porter beer. Tasted like rarebit. Liked it but felt really trashy eating it.

Then you did it right

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Croatoan posted:

I asked a buddy who worked at Mi Casa up in Woodstock and he says it's deli american cheese + cream + diced jalapenos. I'd say the sodium citrate would add insurance. Hell I need to use this big bag I have anyway, might do that this weekend.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The stuff we served at the bar was white american cheese, cream, diced jalapenos, and a little cayenne.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Should someone who is not me make a "post your kitchen" thread so all of us are motivated to clean, and post our kitchens?

If you don't do it in the next week, I will

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Steve Yun posted:

If you don't do it in the next week, I will

I guess I should clean mine up then. Just make the thread tomorrow.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Making Kenjis pork loin with whiskey soaked figs for lunch tomorrow, super looking forward to it. Anyone itt made that recipe before and have any general advice?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT: I somehow mistook making for made

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Invited a friend couple + a single friend to dinner. Told the single person to bring a guest if she wanted. When she showed up, it was with her – surprise! – vegetarian roommate, who we hadn't really met before. You knew she was vegetarian, right?

Thankfully, we were making pulled pork tacos with a couple sides, so we just refried some black beans, but drat that could have been awkward.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
If I knew souvlaki was that easy to make I would've made it years ago.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Midniter posted:

I've read a lot about including baking soda in the brine, which helps the texture. I've never tried it myself but it might be something to consider.

Interesting, had never heard the baking soda thing. I usually go the opposite direction, since my Traditional Cookery upbringing predilects me to err towards the french approach, court-bouillon, acid, etc.

I will definitely give it the old science go. This weekend ended up just being a drunkfest, so noone cared about the doneness of anything and I threw together a giant tasty as gently caress seafood boil, complete with giant vats of molten garlic tony catcherie butter. Awwww yah

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

dino. posted:

Alright I cleaned my kitchen and took pictures.

Balls in your court now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Invited a friend couple + a single friend to dinner. Told the single person to bring a guest if she wanted. When she showed up, it was with her – surprise! – vegetarian roommate, who we hadn't really met before. You knew she was vegetarian, right?

Thankfully, we were making pulled pork tacos with a couple sides, so we just refried some black beans, but drat that could have been awkward.

That's just stupid and thoughtless of them. I say that as someone with a vegetarian wife.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vegan? Here's chips, salsa, and an apple.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Alright I cleaned my kitchen and took pictures.

Balls in your court now.

Oh definitely, I've always loved "post your space" threads

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bob Morales posted:

Vegan? Here's chips, salsa, and an apple.

Look at Mr. Moneybags here who can afford fruit. Go back to your estate, Mr. Rockefeller!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Cooked meatballs for the first time. Gotta say though I didn't really notice them being any tastier than the regular meatsauce. I guess it's really about texture.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

vermin posted:

Cooked meatballs for the first time. Gotta say though I didn't really notice them being any tastier than the regular meatsauce. I guess it's really about texture.

find a good recipe

since I learned This One Iranian Trick To Amazing Ground Meat On A Stick (from an iranian friend whose family has a great persian restaurant), I always puree an onion or two and garlic in a food processor until it's basically pulpy liquid, and make sure it's ice cold when I add it with a hefty amount of salt, dash of sugar, tsp or so of corn starch, and a splash of fish sauce. knead to get a primary bind, and something about that amount of liquid and seasoning makes these springy kofta-esque balls that you can skewer and grill, or cook in a pan or whatever, and they're the most delicious things possible. so juicy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
A while back I started grating my onion if making a meatball or rissole. But I agree it's totally not worth it for beef, may as well make a bolognese.
Lamb rissoles or koftas are good though.
But if making beef mince balls, then you pretty much have to double the salt and herbs you think you should use, and always use a grated onion for moisture. But store bought ground beef mince just doesn't have the flavour to me, so I don't bother any more. E: I might give it another crack if I could wrap something in the meatballs, like some cheese, bechamel or chilli pepper or something.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 7, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

therattle posted:

That's just stupid and thoughtless of them. I say that as someone with a vegetarian wife.

Yeah really, bringing anyone with dietary needs to a gathering without telling the host is just as much a dick move towards the host as the guest you're bringing.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Speaking of dietary needs, week 3 just ended of my soft diet, and I've got somewhere between 8 and... Forever more weeks until it's over. Outside my apartment I'm pretty limited to congee and various noodles, as almost everything has some vegetable or ginger or something I can't chew, or I'm not familiar enough with to try without possibly causing permanent damage to my teeth. drat you Thailand for having the audacity to have textures in your dishes.

At home I'm limited by my tiny one burner kitchen and tiny oven, so it's mostly been making, lol, casseroles and other big leftover monsters that pack on calories conveniently.

So far I have done:

Mexican Spaghetti (spaghetti, cheese, salsa, ground beef, various veggies, more cheese.)
Chili
Tuna Noodle Casserole (a pea in which took out my entire upper arch of teeth, woops)
Baked Macaroni and Cheese

I'm basically eating like a Midwestern housewife, but it's really nice having hearty meals on demand I don't have to inspect for the possibility they'll tear my false teeth out.

Tomorrow's a new one for me. I've got some shredded pork I picked up at a market and I'm mixing it with baked beans, onions, and BBQ sauce, all under a cornbread crust.

Any other suggestions for big make ahead meals which I can, to quote my dentist, "cut with a plastic spoon"?

Loutre fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 7, 2017

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you think bolognese is better than spaghetti and meatballs, you hate fun

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

... Why not Bolognese and meatballs?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Perché non entrambi?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Sextro posted:

... Why not Bolognese and meatballs?

That's dangerous thinking there Sextro.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

vermin posted:

That's dangerous thinking there Sextro.

I raise you bolognese and meatballs in a lasagna

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lasagna filled with raviolis, covered with bolognese and meatballs.

Served on top of a steak.

Edit: actually that's gross I don't want to play this game anymore.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

You ruined it.

Now. What's the best meatball.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sextro posted:

You ruined it.

Ham balls.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not Ed Balls?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Loutre posted:

Any other suggestions for big make ahead meals which I can, to quote my dentist, "cut with a plastic spoon"?

Do you like polenta? You can add any kind of sauce and/or creamed greens. I like it pretty thick, but you can get any consistency your diet needs.

My favorite:

That's "grits with pimento cheese and (not pictured) salsa" from Deep Run Roots. I can dig up the recipe if you like.

e: here are some other recipes which are already online. We've cooked all of these and they work well, though some underestimate the time it takes to cook real polenta:
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grits-creamed-cashews
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/garlicky-mustard-greens
http://joythebaker.com/2014/09/sausage-cheddar-grits-crust-less-quiche/
http://asweetspoonful.com/2013/09/summer-in-september.html
http://thefirstmess.com/2014/10/16/crispy-eggplant-polenta-bites-recipe/
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pork-ragu-creamy-polenta

not polenta, still good:
http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/home/2014/2/2/roasted-fennel-and-white-bean-dip.html
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cream-of-cashew-pea-soup/amp
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/caramelized-garlic-spinach-and-cheddar-tart/amp
http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2012/09/cashew-corn-chowder-with-cilantro-cream/

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 8, 2017

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Sextro posted:

You ruined it.

They're goofy and dumb, but god I love scotch eggs.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've been on a Vietnamese kick lately so I've been working on integrating headcheese into mine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tendales posted:

They're goofy and dumb, but god I love scotch eggs.

Definitely the best meatball.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scotch eggs aren't a meatball, they're a spherical pie

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sextro posted:

You ruined it.

Cheap 1900's style meatballs with mixed beef/pork mince, breadcrumbs, milk, onions, eggs and all that.

I mean you could just get some good beef mince with salt and pepper and be done but the above is more homely.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Scotch eggs aren't a meatball, they're a spherical pie

I do love that description but given that they are breaded and not pastry, I'd actually classify them as a type of croquette. Which is, of course, a type of sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

how are they related to caramel apples? The ones rolled in peanuts, obviously