Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

fishmech posted:

So you don't live in a city with a very strong "pedestrian culture".

The two are not mutually exclusive, pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-tr-worst-drivers-20170627-htmlstory.html?23
I wonder how much of this is down to infrastructure, how much is down to "driving culture" or poor training, and how much is down to poor enforcement.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The report doesn't divide collision rate by miles driven or time spent driving?

Allstate should have that information. Why else would insurance companies charge different rates by zip code and ask for odometer readings?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 29, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Allstate should have that information. Why else would insurance companies charge different rates by zip code and ask for odometer readings?

Because this makes for easy headlines for editors viral that are willing to publish "articles" that are actually just clickbait ads.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pkells posted:

That's really cool. Do you know if they've had any issues with it yet?

SC is getting its first one at I-77 & Gold Hill Blvd, just south of Charlotte in a couple years. We're currently looking at a few alternatives that include DDI's around Charleston that might be built in the next decade.

I really need to go find one nearby and take a ride. I'm curious to see how they work in reality.

there's one in Salisbury NC that I stumbled across not long after it was built, they are fully awesome.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A few things about right on red. First of all, it's awesome and I'm sad it isn't a thing in the EU. At least some places in Ukraine and Russia have it, so there is hope.

If introduced here, at least, it wouldn't make any difference to pedestrians. Very frequently you'll take off at an intersection at above-grandma pace to make a turn on green, only to find pedestrians in the middle of the street. You stop either way, but then you have to find their traffic light to see whether you can be mad at them or not. Simply, the pedestrians can also have a green light to cross when your light to go straight (parallel to them) or turn goes green. I actually kind of hate it, if it's green, it should be safe to go.

Here's an intersection that would be greatly improved with right on red:

See that right turn? If there's more than one car turning right, they'll block the lane going straight. Meanwhile it's red all the time while the cross traffic is green for no loving reason, because there's only one lane coming in from the left, but the road on the right is two lanes. Easy solution: just turn off that light and everyone would just go by the yield sign. But nope.

It's also almost impossible to make a left here, because the traffic coming from the opposite direction is heavy enough that only one car gets to legally make a left per cycle. What this causes is more people making a left from the second lane while the car in the left lane is yielding. Once the traffic is clear, they both take off, causing endless hilarity.

Ok and last one, since I get to observe this from my office window. Going South-North, there's one left-turn lane, and one straight/right lane. What I see happen here all the time is people getting into the left-only lane and then when the light to go straight turns green, race the other vehicle to merge back before the intersection. I was really quite shocked by how often this happens, because I almost never saw this behavior elsewhere.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

mobby_6kl posted:

A few things about right on red. First of all, it's awesome and I'm sad it isn't a thing in the EU. At least some places in Ukraine and Russia have it, so there is hope. If introduced here, at least, it wouldn't make any difference to pedestrians. Very frequently you'll take off at an intersection at above-grandma pace to make a turn on green, only to find pedestrians in the middle of the street. You stop either way, but then you have to find their traffic light to see whether you can be mad at them or not. Simply, the pedestrians can also have a green light to cross when your light to go straight (parallel to them) or turn goes green. I actually kind of hate it, if it's green, it should be safe to go.

It sounds like that intersection would be better served by a dedicated left turn cycle, though that would slow down down the already heavy cross traffic. The Right on Red issue seems like it is a bit of a side element to all of that, but it would violate the principle of, "If it's green, it's safe to go" because cross-traffic has to slow down and watch for cars failing to yield. Or realistically they don't slow down, collision statistics go up, and the local government has to assume the increased costs of servicing all that. Pedestrian and cyclist usage probably takes a hit from all the conflict, but I don't know if that's the primary impact. Maybe it would be worth it to lengthen the slip-lane, it depends on the level of congestion.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mobby_6kl posted:

A few things about right on red. First of all, it's awesome and I'm sad it isn't a thing in the EU. At least some places in Ukraine and Russia have it, so there is hope.

If introduced here, at least, it wouldn't make any difference to pedestrians. Very frequently you'll take off at an intersection at above-grandma pace to make a turn on green, only to find pedestrians in the middle of the street. You stop either way, but then you have to find their traffic light to see whether you can be mad at them or not. Simply, the pedestrians can also have a green light to cross when your light to go straight (parallel to them) or turn goes green. I actually kind of hate it, if it's green, it should be safe to go.

Here's an intersection that would be greatly improved with right on red:

See that right turn? If there's more than one car turning right, they'll block the lane going straight. Meanwhile it's red all the time while the cross traffic is green for no loving reason, because there's only one lane coming in from the left, but the road on the right is two lanes. Easy solution: just turn off that light and everyone would just go by the yield sign. But nope.

Wait I really don't understand this. Why is there both a yield sign AND a traffic light on the same thing? Does the light get turned off on a regular basis and then the Yield takes priority, or did someone just throw in some extra Yield signs?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CopperHound posted:

I insure though an allstate company (branded as something else that provides higher cover) and they only started asking about odo when I revised both my car milages frim the normal 12000 to 5000 as I barely drive.
I don't think they have those numbers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Wait I really don't understand this. Why is there both a yield sign AND a traffic light on the same thing? Does the light get turned off on a regular basis and then the Yield takes priority, or did someone just throw in some extra Yield signs?

I dont think this one gets turned off regularly, but some do, for example late at night. Whenever it's not working you're supposed to follow the Yield sign as a fallback. The other direction has priority.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

In the UK, we do not have left-on-red (the left hand driving equivalent) although we do have things like this, left-hand slip lanes with a light controlled pedestrian crossing followed by a give way (yield). Works well for throughput while catering for small pedestrian flows, but as a pedestrian it's pretty annoying as it's one more road to cross. Also it's not such a common pattern that people know exactly what to do, so you need a bit of space to allow drivers to notice that the two elements are separate.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jonnty posted:

In the UK, we do not have left-on-red (the left hand driving equivalent) although we do have things like this, left-hand slip lanes with a light controlled pedestrian crossing followed by a give way (yield). Works well for throughput while catering for small pedestrian flows, but as a pedestrian it's pretty annoying as it's one more road to cross. Also it's not such a common pattern that people know exactly what to do, so you need a bit of space to allow drivers to notice that the two elements are separate.

We have things similar to this - typically without the pedestrian signal. Which makes them much less ped-friendly, since now the peds have to look out for free-flow traffic (although the free-flow traffic is supposed to yield to the pedestrian). We actually try to actively remove the free-flow rights in areas with pedestrians as a safety measure, and turn them into conventional right-turn on red (or with arrow signal).

I don't think we have many locations where a free-flow right turn is also controlled by a signal to give priority for pedestrians, for a couple reasons:

1. Poor operations for pedestrians - if you have to wait for a walk signal to cross the lane, you're adding two extra phases to an intersection crossing, leading to poor compliance.
2. Driver expectation of seeing a green signal, then having to yield - this would violate the norm that having a green means you can go. I'm not deep in on the MUTCD, but I would guess that this would violate it, or be very non-standard

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/07/us-transportation-funding-is-not-created-equal/534327/
Interesting little map on how states pay for roads.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s neat. If you want an even more local breakdown, I’m currently preparing to give a presentation on our department and one of the topics I’m touching is our 5-year CIP and how we actually pay for roads and poo poo. Here’s a breakdown for our next 5 years budget which is around $30 million dollars with almost half of it coming from grants we apply using street levy funds (thank gently caress the city got this to pass) as matching dollars.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love to know more about transport funding, I guess from that map it's quite regional specific.

My general assumptions are (for my city in canada)
-Most streets are built and maintained directly by the city, paid for out of the city's funds which mostly come from property taxes.
-Official highways are technically owned by the province, but in cities they just give money to the city to maintain but they can be a huge pain to deal with if you want to do any changes, for instance you have a bike lane project or BRT or want to add some crosswalks or something.
-More suburban projects like a new overpass or improving barriers on the highway is once again funded provincially, but maybe sometimes the local city or developers puts in some money to help get it done faster or more to their needs?
-Transit? gently caress I don't know. Some money comes locally from city taxes, but some also comes from the province via a share of gas taxes, maybe some other provincial funding?

Anyone know better?

Oh here's some stuff from my city

-So taxation is only about 60% of the city's income, 90% of that being plain old property tax.
-User fees are things like people paying fees for water, garbage collection, sewer, and development permits.
-Cost Recoveries and Sundries are an odd one. It's money transferred from neighbouring cities to pay for their share of joint services like our amalgamated police. Sundries is the real interesting one though, it's more business-like income the city makes on investments and income from things it owns like the convention centre, parking fees, rents and leases in city-owned buildings. This is a surprisingly large chunk to me.

Now here's the spending, which I get, these are just the yearly costs for running/maintaining the city.

But then there's capital outlays here, which is of course money spent on building new things or replace existing things, which will then need money from the previous budget to maintain in the future.

I assume spending on road upkeep and such would fall under engineering and public works, which is only 8% of the budget. It's harder to get a more detailed breakdown on exist costs, but the top spending items on that seem to be a project to replace all streetlights with LED's, more crosswalks, improved intersections, things like that. What I'm really curious about is, on a dollar level, how much does say each lane km of street cost the city on average a year to maintain?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 21, 2017

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm skeptical of the notion that CT pays for roads.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Random fact that link reminded me of: It makes sense that Texas has the most state roads in the country, but no one would guess that North Carolina is #2. Why? Because there's no county roads. All roads are either municipal or state-maintained.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

cheese-cube posted:

Over a year ago now they started allowing LTOR (Left Turn On Red, because we drive on the left) at intersections with traffic signals in Perth, Western Australia. In the beginning people who weren't paying attention whilst crossing (Read: staring at their loving phones) did freak out when they looked up and saw a car moving towards them however AFAIK there were now major accidents. Pedestrians have right-of-way as long as the crossing light is green so no one really cares anymore.

In the inner CBD of Sydney, New South Wales they've had LTOR for taxis and buses at signalled intersections for years now. When I first went there for work in 2010 I almost got run-over twice because loving taxi drivers. You get used to it after a while though.

Oh, thats interesting. I might have a look on Austroads to read up a report on it, there is bound to be something there.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Gah! I get so frustrated with half assed counterproductive 'improvements':

At this intersection the cross traffic has a green all the time unless the light gets triggered, but there is no sensor in the nice wide bike lane that they painted. To make things worse, traffic coming from the opposite direction will not trigger a green on this side.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CopperHound posted:

At this intersection the cross traffic has a green all the time unless the light gets triggered, but there is no sensor in the nice wide bike lane that they painted. To make things worse, traffic coming from the opposite direction will not trigger a green on this side.

These are the worst. We've got this exact situation a half-block from the central station in Stockholm.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://pdovak.com/projects/#/city-transit/
These are some cool transit vehicle posters.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Baronjutter posted:

These are really cool! Thanks for sharing them.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
What goes into traffic planning for large events like concerts and games and who's responsible? Is it the venue's responsibility?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i imagine its a combo of hiring cops and a bunch of studies that show the venue will not appreciably increase traffic or cause issues, no really!!

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

mamosodiumku posted:

What goes into traffic planning for large events like concerts and games and who's responsible? Is it the venue's responsibility?

Stadiums and the like usually have that figured out before you build them and tweaked some later. They don't make folks grab a transportation consultant every time they do something unless it's extraordinary.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Eskaton posted:

Stadiums and the like usually have that figured out before you build them and tweaked some later. They don't make folks grab a transportation consultant every time they do something unless it's extraordinary.

Maybe, but over here there's a case where they couldn't have possibly predicted that seemingly half the country's population goes to the same Ikea every Easter monday and on some similar dates.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

I'm impressed at how recognizable all the Chicago stuff is in simplified poster format.

I guess that's a testament to how well simple branding/color schemes work.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Calgary is opening up Canada's first Diverging Diamond Interchange! I literally only know of it because if this thread and it got me really excited to see one finally come to my backyard.

https://www.google.ca/amp/calgaryhe...-162-avenue/amp

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I loving hate the people who lived in the 80s.
So, our local state college has hosed up parking and always has had hosed parking. It is just outside of reasonable walking distance from light rail. Why?

quote:

Sacramento was building a light-rail line at about that time, and considered bringing it onto campus. But school officials were against it. They thought it would bring “an undesirable element to campus,” according to a university memo from back then.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/back-seat-driver/article172469866.html#storylink=hpdigest

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

the undesirable element is black people

I don't know if this is still the case, but Salford University in the UK used to have the opposite system. It is (or was, this was years ago) in a pretty poor area, and there's a huge fence around the whole place. There's a train station on campus which lets you get from the centre to the university without having to set foot in the surrounding area.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This was the argument against the light rail built between Camden and Trenton. People from Camden would take the light rail to the rich suburbs, rob them, then take the light rail back. Weirdly, they could already do this with cars, but a little tram with a predictable schedule and no way to hide the loot you're limited to carrying in your hands would make it worse because ???

Of course Camden is basically in terminal decline, so ultimately nothing matters, but I'm looking forward to Fishmech writing a thesis about this particular topic.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Camden to Trenton line is where we had someone whose house abutted the tracks, which had continuous freight service for nearly 170 years at that point in time, and complained that if light rail were to run on it too then her kids wouldn't be able to play on the tracks as they apparently did.

Which was extra bizarre because before the light rail service came in, the freights ran multiple times a day through the daylight hours on some days and never less than once a day in daylight hours on the others, with rather little consistency from the average person's perspective (though they would arrive to the terminals on time, the schedule of shipments to pick up along the line would vary)

If anything the fairly consistent schedule of the light rail taking over for 6 AM - 10 PM every day and the freights being restricted to running overnight made her horrible parenting plan of "let kids play on active railroad tracks" safer.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CopperHound posted:

A bit late, but sucks to be you: https://goo.gl/maps/YCUrzF4FFU82

(That bike lane isn't the greatest, and honestly doesn't see much use, but at least they got the intersection right -- notice the rectangular, bike-sized sensor loop.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

nm posted:

I loving hate the people who lived in the 80s.
So, our local state college has hosed up parking and always has had hosed parking. It is just outside of reasonable walking distance from light rail. Why?

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/back-seat-driver/article172469866.html#storylink=hpdigest

Yeah we have the opposite problem -- the university really wants a rapid transit line connecting to it, along a transit corridor that is currently the busiest bus corridor in North America (over 55K riders/day on average). The road coming into the university, along which this bus runs, seems to need asphalt replacement pretty much every 2-3 years. For reference, the university has a daytime population of more than 100K people, and students all get a "u-pass" (a heavily-discounted, group-purchased all-zone transit pass). So students come from all over the city and suburbs to get to the university, and this bus route is one of the major connectors to the metro system.

After enormous political wrangling, there's finally the will to build an extension to the existing metro system, but only halfway to the university, with buses continuing to run the rest of the way. The city's current 10-year plan doesn't even mention going all the way, and the transit authority think there's "probably a good chance" that rail will eventually reach the university, they just have no idea when.

https://www.ubyssey.ca/news/official-plan-announced-for-skytrain-extension-to-arbutus/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_B-Line
https://www.straight.com/news/857051/translink-says-no-plans-millennium-line-ubc-yet-public-consultations-begin-next-week

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah we have the opposite problem -- the university really wants a rapid transit line connecting to it, along a transit corridor that is currently the busiest bus corridor in North America (over 55K riders/day on average). The road coming into the university, along which this bus runs, seems to need asphalt replacement pretty much every 2-3 years. For reference, the university has a daytime population of more than 100K people, and students all get a "u-pass" (a heavily-discounted, group-purchased all-zone transit pass). So students come from all over the city and suburbs to get to the university, and this bus route is one of the major connectors to the metro system.

After enormous political wrangling, there's finally the will to build an extension to the existing metro system, but only halfway to the university, with buses continuing to run the rest of the way. The city's current 10-year plan doesn't even mention going all the way, and the transit authority think there's "probably a good chance" that rail will eventually reach the university, they just have no idea when.

https://www.ubyssey.ca/news/official-plan-announced-for-skytrain-extension-to-arbutus/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_B-Line
https://www.straight.com/news/857051/translink-says-no-plans-millennium-line-ubc-yet-public-consultations-begin-next-week

But if you raised property taxes a touch to pay for this it might pop the bubble and Ladner tear downs might not be worth over a million anymore.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
People were taking about extending the Yonge-University line up to York University over 25 years ago. It opens this December, having been delayed two years from the original timeline.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto-York subway line to open day after you graduate from York

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Hey I'm sorry if this is sort of a driveby or a repeat (gonna read this one today) I moved to WA, near Seattle. Wrongness 0-10 (if you) please? People are like, mean about this stuff here.

Zipper merge good for saving hesitation time, bad during sparse traffic. You should merge smoothly on at the first available opportunity (e.g. don't panic fart swerve in the instant the line breaks just because you can either.)

My issue is that I'm having very natural, smooth merges where I'm in the flow of traffic, traffic's speeding up, I can see another guy merge behind me:

And then a dude rockets past (on the ramp! To your right! While 68 is turning into 75!) to the very end of the ramp, where they just force their way in by merging when/with the outside line, as if they're some kind of robot. Presumably to go post the RCW/ local city ordinance/law they've misinterpreted as reading that they should always use the whole on ramp.

It's like, I can see how this could work. I am programming sci-fi flying cars. They zipper. Their brains also know nothing but whether they are an even or an odd tooth and some distances. Real humans can't do what they do.

If it's a gridlocked queue, I wait until it's "my turn" unless someone just leaves such a large gap (screwing up the pattern) that it needs to be taken to stop any confusion.

I feel simple PSA's on TV could greatly improve our situation in most big cities. It's not that people are assholes, we're just not on the same page.

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 13, 2017

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

FantasticExtrusion posted:

Hey I'm sorry if this is sort of a driveby or a repeat (gonna read this one today) I moved to WA, near Seattle. Wrongness 0-10 (if you) please? People are like, mean about this stuff here.

Zipper merge good for saving hesitation time, bad during sparse traffic. You should merge smoothly on at the first available opportunity (e.g. don't panic fart swerve in the instant the line breaks just because you can either.)

My issue is that I'm having very natural, smooth merges where I'm in the flow of traffic, traffic's speeding up, I can see another guy merge behind me:

And then a dude rockets past (on the ramp! To your right! While 68 is turning into 75!) to the very end of the ramp, where they just force their way in by merging when/with the outside line, as if they're some kind of robot. Presumably to go post the RCW/ local city ordinance/law they've misinterpreted as reading that they should always use the whole on ramp.

It's like, I can see how this could work. I am programming sci-fi flying cars. They zipper. Their brains also know nothing but whether they are an even or an odd tooth and some distances. Real humans can't do what they do.

If it's a gridlocked queue, I wait until it's "my turn" unless someone just leaves such a large gap (screwing up the pattern) that it needs to be taken to stop any confusion.

I feel simple PSA's on TV could greatly improve our situation in most big cities. It's not that people are assholes, we're just not on the same page.

Sir, this is a drive through, can I take your order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

FantasticExtrusion posted:

I think, in that case, that person really is just an rear end in a top hat and no amount of PSAs or education will change that.