Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Jabor posted:

and Kill Zone is hot trash you'll basically never use.

killzone combined with a superior extended mag is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Shumagorath posted:

-...Deadeye is still bad until late game and Steam Hands / Aim is probably the worst pair of skills in the game.

I actually got some decent results out of Aim when my Sniper rolled Deep Cover, but otherwise I don't think I could've possibly taken it (and it was gratuitous overuse of XCOM AP, I just wanted a reason to take Aim for once!)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Chosen weapons and Archon armor turn anyone into a superhero though. I think everyone would agree that a sniper sharpshooter with the Darklance is a killing machine, but so is a pistol sharpshooter with Darkclaw (especially with Faceoff and fun ammo), as is a Ranger with Arashi.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kill Zone is great if[ you have time to set up to ambush a pod (ie. non timed mission and you have a reaper/concealed ranger) but otherwise it runs into the problem of being an ability that functions during the alien turn, which is not good in a game where optimal play is about preventing anything from happening in the alien turn.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Alchenar posted:

Kill Zone is great if[ you have time to set up to ambush a pod (ie. non timed mission and you have a reaper/concealed ranger) but otherwise it runs into the problem of being an ability that functions during the alien turn, which is not good in a game where optimal play is about preventing anything from happening in the alien turn.

It works well in ambushes but I also frequently use it to lock down choke points that I think aliens will be funneling down to get flanking shots on my squad. It has both offensive and defensive potential, I think it's a cool ability.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I found picking 6 team members for the final mission ahead of time and sending them on lots of convert ops held a massive amount on the final mission. Having a grenadier and sniper with maximum aim, and a ranger and reaper with very high movement helped a great deal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alchenar posted:

:stonk: Well that gets a re-evaluation.

Also I genuinely don't understand the pistol-sharpshooter love, but I do agree that Sharpshooters have fallen hard since their XCOM the-whole-team-exists-to-provide-targets-for-squadsight days.

Pistol Sharpshooters become way stronger when you factor in ammo, is probably what you're missing.

Dragon Rounds if you're not expecting a bunch of robots. Bluescreen if you are.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I think the whole Sniper/Gunslinger debate can generally be handled by Late/Early game. Mid - Late game, you'll generally have stuff like ammo and mods to make Sniper have good enough aim to make up for their downsides. Not to mention access to stuff that gives you grappling hooks or even the possibility of other perks. On the flipside, Gunslinger tends to do better early game when you don't have any of that stuff, though it also can get ridiculously strong in its own right late game.

Personally, I prefer Gunslinger overall, cause as others have said, the game is all about mobility and Sniper kinda suffers from not really being all too effective if you're constantly moving.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Sharpshooters benefit from positioning as much as rangers. The two classes are similar in a lot of regards and for me, usually neck and neck for kills. Rangers don't rely on their sword and SS don't rely on either weapon. It more about the options they provide.

DeliciousCookie posted:

Personally, I prefer Gunslinger overall, cause as others have said, the game is all about mobility and Sniper kinda suffers from not really being all too effective if you're constantly moving.
That's why they have squadsight. I wouldn't say the game is all about moving, considering most of my missions are resolved around the same area (usually the mission objective). Steady hands is really good when a sniper has a position. It doesn't mean up in a tree, just somewhere with high cover and not immediately flankable.

temple fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 13, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

DeliciousCookie posted:

I think the whole Sniper/Gunslinger debate can generally be handled by Late/Early game. Mid - Late game, you'll generally have stuff like ammo and mods to make Sniper have good enough aim to make up for their downsides. Not to mention access to stuff that gives you grappling hooks or even the possibility of other perks. On the flipside, Gunslinger tends to do better early game when you don't have any of that stuff, though it also can get ridiculously strong in its own right late game.

Its really nice when they roll up implacable.

i actually really like that on all my guys if i can get it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Shumagorath posted:

-Snipers can roll Rapid Fire and (I think) Chain Shot, except for your sniper who can easily get Aim over 100 the -15 ain't poo poo. There's your Double Tap.

Yep, they can roll Chain Shot. The Berserker Queen did not like that :getin:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I turned off alien rulers not because of the boss fights (there are ways of dealing with them pretty easily) but more because I wanted to start having reasons to take the Acid Bomb again, and have reasons to do the Stun Lancer autopsy early. The reward armor is also ten kinds of ridiculous that I really don't like having around.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

My problem with kill zone is I can just put my entire team on overwatch at the edge of enemy vision and get the same effect with long watch without giving up face off. My other problem is that kind of ambush isn't timer friendly because pods like to not move sometimes.

This is a really bad thing to do because you can get stuck with the enemy getting free actions on your dudes if your overwatches don't finish them. Killzone is great because you can very easily kill 4 people with two actions - grenade and sniper killzone. Then the rest of your team can be ready in case critical shots miss and someone survives.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Taffer posted:

This is a really bad thing to do because you can get stuck with the enemy getting free actions on your dudes if your overwatches don't finish them. Killzone is great because you can very easily kill 4 people with two actions - grenade and sniper killzone. Then the rest of your team can be ready in case critical shots miss and someone survives.

Long watch is an overwatch buff. It lets you Overwatch in squadsight range on the enemy turn, and it's opposite return fire, a bad skill.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 13, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So my hunter is brittle and weak to Templars but immune to melee. Besides their terrible pistol, what skills do Templars have that aren't melee but can count as close? Volt from a tile away?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 13, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

marshmallow creep posted:

So my templar is brittle and weak to Templars but immune to melee. Besides their terrible pistol, what skills do Templars have that aren't melee but can count as close? Volt from a tile away?

Yeah, basically.

Hope you get Fanfire :shrug:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
With the mod that uses the new skill screen by default, I'm tempted to always enable hidden skill previews so I can know if my Templar doesn't at least roll Bladestorm and just reload the most recent save before she gets picked up.

Prop Wash posted:

The Chosen weapons and Archon armor turn anyone into a superhero though. I think everyone would agree that a sniper sharpshooter with the Darklance is a killing machine, but so is a pistol sharpshooter with Darkclaw (especially with Faceoff and fun ammo), as is a Ranger with Arashi.
Darkclaw doesn't use special ammo (probably because they just locked AP ammo on it internally).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

There is a mod that lets you swap out what bonus skills people roll so if you really need a bladestorm templar you can force it.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

With the mod that uses the new skill screen by default, I'm tempted to always enable hidden skill previews so I can know if my Templar doesn't at least roll Bladestorm and just reload the most recent save before she gets picked up.

Darkclaw doesn't use special ammo (probably because they just locked AP ammo on it internally).

Darkclaw with Bluescreen would also be a bit insane :v:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

oh haw I've been using AP rounds with it anyway, thanks for the heads up! I can scrap the ammo and just give them spider/wraith instead.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

There is a mod that lets you swap out what bonus skills people roll so if you really need a bladestorm templar you can force it.
:aaa: Is there a name I can go by?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I'm a PS4 xcom-er and WOTC wont let me import my character pool from vanilla xcom 2!

Did I miss an import button or something? I'm going to have to remake all the named characters from The Office because I'm a crazy person!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Speaking of overpowered XCOM skills, how are Templars with Reaper? Seems ridiculous for mopping up pods, but I don't know what it means by "reduced damage." Anyone tried it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

:aaa: Is there a name I can go by?

IIRC, I am the Commander.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BBQ Dave posted:

I'm a PS4 xcom-er and WOTC wont let me import my character pool from vanilla xcom 2!

Did I miss an import button or something? I'm going to have to remake all the named characters from The Office because I'm a crazy person!

I was looking for it this morning, it's annoying that I have to make all my friends again.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Speaking of overpowered XCOM skills, how are Templars with Reaper? Seems ridiculous for mopping up pods, but I don't know what it means by "reduced damage." Anyone tried it?

Same as reduced damage on rangers. You activate reaper, then go hit something with rend for normal damage. If they die, you get another action to go hit someone again with rend, but your damage range will be reduced by 1. So if you were hitting 7-8 on the first kill, you'll now be hitting 6-7. You can keep doing this until the hit doesn't kill, then your turn ends.

It's good on templars, probably super good if you get blademaster, but I've never rolled that on any of my templars :( I've rolled reaper on every single one though, so the game really wants me to use it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
L/I is so much harder than in vanilla, oh my lord. One mistake and half the team is dead or out for a month :negative:

I'm taking a risk by pushing mag weapons back a bit, but I got Inspirado for Alien Data Cache back-to-back. If I can just hold on a little longer, I'll be swimming in Intel.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

It's good, not as good as a BS/Reaper ranger w/ katana (As rend is reduced by armor), but it's still good, more so if you get that rend AOE ability and can play off that.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

So my hunter is brittle and weak to Templars but immune to melee. Besides their terrible pistol, what skills do Templars have that aren't melee but can count as close? Volt from a tile away?
Same thing happened to me. I think 2/3 of the chosen are melee immune for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

jfood posted:

Give your sharpshooters Vektors. They're still kinda meh 'til Sgt, but alot more versatile and can contribute better.

This isn't a thing you can do in vanilla right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh thank gently caress, if you use a hack to mind control a random enemy, it doesn't trigger the pod instantly anymore. It doesn't seem to ever until XCOM appears actually. They just get free turns to kill their own pod.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh thank gently caress, if you use a hack to mind control a random enemy, it doesn't trigger the pod instantly anymore. It doesn't until the enemy does something, it looks like.
... haywire is actually good now?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ersatz posted:

Hacking an enemy with haywire still triggers any pods in its vision radius. I know this because I hacked the MEC guarding the blacksite vial for fun and triggered a triple muton pod hiding behind it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

This isn't a thing you can do in vanilla right?

Nope, class weapons are still exclusive without mods.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I got an early covert ops that reduced hacking defenses by 20.

Not as useful as you think, because hacking in general is kinda uncommon to do.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I've always turned off rulers because I thought they sounded dumb and OP, but I turned on integrated DLC for my current run because I am dumb and the game tricked me. Viper King pathed into two overwatch shots from my long watch sniper, then immediately ran next toand revealed my concealed, overwatched Ranger with bladestorm, and now one of my gunslingers is wearing his skin. Rulers own.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got the regicide achievement against the Viper King this run without a repeater. Turns out two skirmishers with ionic ripjacks are pretty much ideal for killing rulers. Use wrath to stun them, then get another stun from retribution. Viper King ended up being stunned for so long that by the time he got a move he had 3 HP. Of course he didn't escape from the skirmisher pain corner.

I felt kind of bad. The HP of rulers should probably scale based on the month you encounter them in. Then I remembered all the agony he caused me on my vanilla impossible runs so gently caress him. I will step on snek.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ersatz posted:

Hack a tower I mean. The one that's a random enemy gets mind controlled. It gave me a sectoid next to a Gatekeeper and another sectoid, and they didn't give a poo poo I was mindstunning them.

quote:

Hacking an enemy with haywire still triggers any pods in its vision radius. I know this because I hacked the MEC guarding the blacksite vial for fun and triggered a triple muton pod hiding behind it.

Yeah, the TOWER hack is good now. Haywire's still a gamble.

quote:

Not as useful as you think, because hacking in general is kinda uncommon to do.

I've hacked three times this campaign. It's even more unimportant than usual now.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

temple posted:

Sharpshooters benefit from positioning as much as rangers. The two classes are similar in a lot of regards and for me, usually neck and neck for kills. Rangers don't rely on their sword and SS don't rely on either weapon. It more about the options they provide.

That's why they have squadsight. I wouldn't say the game is all about moving, considering most of my missions are resolved around the same area (usually the mission objective). Steady hands is really good when a sniper has a position. It doesn't mean up in a tree, just somewhere with high cover and not immediately flankable.

Squadsight helps, but early game you might not have the accuracy to reliably use it, and theres always the problem of sight lines too. Thats why I say mid-late game snipers become more useful, but early game they're more of a hindrance. Early game, most of their turns are spent getting into position before they can really contribute to any fight meaningfully. Mid game to late has a lot of stuff that minimizes these problems, from levels to gear that just make a sniper stronger overall. Plus its a matter of mission type, where non timed missions are amazing for snipers cause they can take their time.

Honestly, I feel Snipers would have been way better if they either removed the restriction from moving and firing, or just given them a grappling hook to start with so they can get into position easier.

On another note, what exactly is the Berserker Queen armor good for? It seems to give a single charge melee attack, but I can't really fathom why I'd need that when I have both rangers and templars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Here's a fun bug. I did a VIP rescue mission and my next mission had the guy appear as a 7th squad mate:

Decent aim, took down a couple of aliens.
He didn't show up in the pre or post battle summaries or show in the soldier list after this mission, sadly.