Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I just noticed Audiko has removed the ability to paste a youtube url and requires uploading an mp3 to make a ringtone now. Is there an alternative way to cut a ringtone from a youtube track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I just noticed Audiko has removed the ability to paste a youtube url and requires uploading an mp3 to make a ringtone now. Is there an alternative way to cut a ringtone from a youtube track?

Use this to download the audio track, then upload it.

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jan posted:

e: Tried this video over Bluetooth, and watched a bit of TV. I can barely notice latency when reading lips closely, most of the time I'll be looking at subtitles anyway, so sounds like a plan. :v:

I'll probably get this thing.

Well, this was a complete dud.

I don't know if Android uses a better codec (likely AAC?), or if it simply delays the video to compensate for Bluetooth latency, but where viewing video directly from my Nexus 5X doesn't have any noticeable latency, going through the Bluetooth transmitter introduces some intolerable latency. Plus, this cheap chinese gimmick takes a good 30-90 seconds to "buffer" after the initial Bluetooth connection, during which audio is completely choppy.

Oh well, better that way, since I didn't look closely enough to notice my TV doesn't even have a 3.5mm audio output, only a single digital out. :doh:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...m=Y&sku=1218934
Maybe this one would work better? Probably a big crap shoot on quality.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jago posted:

I dunno, I have the feeling that no "big" brands (i.e.: Sony, Panasonic, etc.) have come out with a product like this because there's no way around the limitations of Bluetooth. I am however very puzzled by Android performing so well -- even if they were offsetting video playback, unless there was an API for it, it'd be unlikely that Youtube, Netflix and Plex would all behave that way...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jago posted:

Would love a trip report on the latency issue if you get that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Sorry to just barge in here without searching, but does anyone have experience with using bluetooth out on one of the newer model Yamaha receivers?

I'm mostly curious if it functions at the same time as "regular" output to the speakers. I'll probably just buy a bluetooth receiver or two to test range/latency/SQ with, just thought I might save myself some time and effort if it didn't.

e: I emailed Yamaha support, they said that BT output functions at the same time as the speakers. Time to test some BT receivers.

Barry fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 24, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Does anyone know if the vizio sound bars with google cast built in can be grouped with other chromecast audios out of the box? Want to save the money but make sure it's all compatible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So for those who picked up those Mackie CR3s recently, how you finding them? I'm still in two minds between them and something like the PreSonus 4.5 which are about $50 or so more. Budget is tight as I'm redoing so many things, so if the Mackies are well liked they're definitely more pocket friendly.

I do listen to music with lots of bass, but I'm also not going to be blaring the things and accuracy is nice for a bit of production/Traktor usage.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mine are a bit bassy. I've never owned monitors before but I thought they'd be more neutral. Otherwise they are fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Might be the way forward for me and I can throw the extra cash at something else. Can always sell them for a similar amount in the future too I guess! Thanks

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The Dave posted:

Does anyone know if the vizio sound bars with google cast built in can be grouped with other chromecast audios out of the box? Want to save the money but make sure it's all compatible.

What do you mean by "other Chromecast audios"? You can't cast to more than one device at a time, if that's what you're implying.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jan posted:

What do you mean by "other Chromecast audios"? You can't cast to more than one device at a time, if that's what you're implying.
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6328691?hl=en

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jan posted:

Chromcast Audio is the device. I have multiple. You can group them. I wasn't sure if a Vizio soundbar can be included in those groups, but the answer is looking like yes!
I can easily put a soundbar in the area I want a speaker so I'm going to go that route and now I can skip buying yet another Chromecast Audio.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

[quote="“Jan”" post="“475340366”"]
Well, this was a complete dud.

I don’t know if Android uses a better codec (likely AAC?), or if it simply delays the video to compensate for Bluetooth latency, but where viewing video directly from my Nexus 5X doesn’t have any noticeable latency, going through the Bluetooth transmitter introduces some intolerable latency. Plus, this cheap chinese gimmick takes a good 30-90 seconds to “buffer” after the initial Bluetooth connection, during which audio is completely choppy.

Oh well, better that way, since I didn’t look closely enough to notice my TV doesn’t even have a 3.5mm audio output, only a single digital out. :doh:
[/quote]

I have an AppleTV hooked up to a TV in my garage that I use a Bose Bluetooth speaker with, and there is no noticeable latency at all. I’m assuming the same as what’s happening with the Nexus you mentioned and that the AppleTV is delaying the video, but whatever’s going on, it works perfectly.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not sure if this should go here, or the wearables thread, or somewhere else.

I have a set LG HBS 900 headset that I need to replace (one earbud doesn't have audio unless I hold it just so), and I'm ready to try my luck on a $20 pair of Chinese knock offs from amazon, is anything recommended?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Edit: nvm

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 2, 2017

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I have been handed down some speaker boxes and I don't know what to make of them. They are two MTX Terminator (Google images says "old school" next to the ones that look closest to mine), 6.5" round subs in them. Stamp on the sub says: 6FB964 4 OHM 91 9221, 3CF223 stamped on the paper cones, Motorola written on the tweeters(?), and the big resistors are ~32 ohms.

edit: This guy's looks identical minus the small holes placed in the front and the handle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0--23SEXo

What are these? Any idea of the wattage? Is the 91 a year? Does anyone still use speakers like this, for me to try ebaying them, or are they not valuable? Personally I have no space for them and need the cash from selling anything extra.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 13, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I had one of those once that I found somewhere. It sounded like rear end.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I have a pair of Magnepan MG12/QR that I mainly use for listening to vinyl on a vintage stereo. I also use them connected to my 7.1 receiver as the L/R channels. Currently I have an old Cerwin Vega center channel that sounds like poo poo with them. Can anyone recommend anything that would pair well with the Magnepans?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

wolfbiker posted:

I have a pair of Magnepan MG12/QR that I mainly use for listening to vinyl on a vintage stereo. I also use them connected to my 7.1 receiver as the L/R channels. Currently I have an old Cerwin Vega center channel that sounds like poo poo with them. Can anyone recommend anything that would pair well with the Magnepans?

Magneplanar CCR or Magneplanar CC5?

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 15, 2017

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Ugh, both of those are more expensive than what I paid for the pair. Thanks for pointing them out, I guess I'll look for a used one.

Edit: I might just disconnect the center channel completely and have the L/R create a phantom center channel. The auditory illusion of sound coming from between the two speakers when listening to music is surprisingly effective with them.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 15, 2017

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
nm

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I have been handed down some speaker boxes and I don't know what to make of them. They are two MTX Terminator (Google images says "old school" next to the ones that look closest to mine), 6.5" round subs in them. Stamp on the sub says: 6FB964 4 OHM 91 9221, 3CF223 stamped on the paper cones, Motorola written on the tweeters(?), and the big resistors are ~32 ohms.

edit: This guy's looks identical minus the small holes placed in the front and the handle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0--23SEXo

What are these? Any idea of the wattage? Is the 91 a year? Does anyone still use speakers like this, for me to try ebaying them, or are they not valuable? Personally I have no space for them and need the cash from selling anything extra.

BigFactory posted:

I had one of those once that I found somewhere. It sounded like rear end.

Phenomenal, thanks for the info!

Here are the actual ones I have, disassembled for inspection but not cleaned up:

Worried that mice / roaches / spiders nested in there over the decades and wish I could just blast them out with water but I bet that's a bad idea for the fiber board. Once they're clean hopefully I can identify / price them.

Cleaning tips?

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 15, 2017

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Those just look like speakers someone built for their car, I doubt they're worth anything

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Those are for a standard cab pickup truck. You put them behind the seats. They are worth almost nothing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They sound like farts.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I was just trying to figure out why ARC wasn't working for the audio from my PC stick. I changed to a different HDMI port on my TV, and it worked, except...while testing the configuration I realized my right channel has a bassless AM radio kind of sound to it. I switched over to the girlfriends Xbone thats connected directly to the receiver and the same thing. Its a Pioneer VSX-324 receiver, just a HT in a box kind of deal with 5 lovely speakers and sub bundled in, the left and right mains I've upgraded to a pair of Klipsch RF62s I picked up second hand a while back. Now they have two sets of inputs for speaker wire, and when I switched to the bottom ones, suddenly it was better but still not right, kind of a bassy, muffled sound. Doing research as I post I think I understand why that is, the metal piece that went between the two sets of posts I think I lost in moving, is that what my problem is? Also seems like the receiver is just on 2 channels now even though the Xbox is set up for 5.1, but everything seems to be feeding through just the two main L&R speakers when I do a surround test.

edit: bi-wired the speaker, now its fine. Now I just gotta figure out why its not doing surround properly

codo27 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 16, 2017

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Phenomenal, thanks for the info!

Here are the actual ones I have, disassembled for inspection but not cleaned up:

Worried that mice / roaches / spiders nested in there over the decades and wish I could just blast them out with water but I bet that's a bad idea for the fiber board. Once they're clean hopefully I can identify / price them.

Cleaning tips?

Ugh, yeah sorry Dumb Lowtax, :laugh:, your best bet is to advertise the enclosures themselves. Nobody who knows anything would want the current drivers. But car audio tinkerers are nearly as prevalent and avid as computer geeks are. Someone will buy those enclosures, I'm sure, but I have no idea for how much (a lot less than you wanted).

e2: perhaps you should go the obo route, and also be patient as hell

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 16, 2017

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm looking to get something to not have my neighbors get pissed off by my subwoofer. My Google search has led me to some products but I can't tell if they're $$ stuff for the crazy audiophile people or actually worth it. Any suggestions?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turn down your subwoofer. Sound proofing is a fool's errand.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Ugh, yeah sorry Dumb Lowtax, :laugh:, your best bet is to advertise the enclosures themselves. Nobody who knows anything would want the current drivers. But car audio tinkerers are nearly as prevalent and avid as computer geeks are. Someone will buy those enclosures, I'm sure, but I have no idea for how much (a lot less than you wanted).

e2: perhaps you should go the obo route, and also be patient as hell

I'll do that! Thanks!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
What's the absolute cheapest way I could use to power a pair of passive bookshelf speakers? I feel like an AV/R is overkill since I'll just be using it when watching movies through Plex on a small bedroom with the TV just 5 or 6 feet away from me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s tons of ultra cheap Chinese amps available these days. This one is $25, for example.

Lepai LP-2020TI Texas Instruments TPA3118 Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FJF4FF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LLDVzbVK31MFN

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I bought one of these for some outdoor speakers and I'm really happy with it but I know it's not going to have the longest life:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFG3FYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s tons of ultra cheap Chinese amps available these days. This one is $25, for example.

Lepai LP-2020TI Texas Instruments TPA3118 Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FJF4FF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LLDVzbVK31MFN

Do those actually work worth a drat?

I've seen them and figured they were in the "Pyle trash Pile" of super inflated spec bullshit

Like, will they satisfactorily drive say a pair of Polk T15s? No clipping at legit output levels?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Sure, legit output levels are much lower than you think.

Those Polks don't go very low, and are fairly inefficient. If you turn the bass down, don't listen to techno and sit pretty close it should be more than enough.

Which reminds me of an old audiophile thing, "the first watt is the most important".

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

From looking into the reviews of these things a couple of years ago, some of them come with power supplies labeled 2A that can't actually deliver that, resulting in distortion at a much lower level than what the amplifier is actually capable of when provided with a known good power supply.

I think that was the case with the linked Lepai.

Point being that the device itself doesn't overpromise.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

huhu posted:

I'm looking to get something to not have my neighbors get pissed off by my subwoofer. My Google search has led me to some products but I can't tell if they're $$ stuff for the crazy audiophile people or actually worth it. Any suggestions?

Get a buttkicker. That way you can still feel your bass while playing it at a much more reasonable volume. The effect even works great with headphones.

Why every apartment ever isn't flooded in advertising for these things I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We had our hot tub installed today, and it has a Bluetooth audio setup built in. Works great with my iPhone (surprisingly well, as I presumed it would be a gimmick but the addition of the sub means it's actually pretty meaty!).

So the plan was to plug in a Bluetooth transmitter to the TV on the deck so it's a bit easier to hear it, but the transmitter is pretty basic - you hold a button and it goes into pairing, you put your speaker into pairing and it joins. However, when I connected my iPhone it asked for a pin (and 0000 worked). Am I likely out of luck given there's no ability to do this with the transmitter?

I'm guessing my only real option is to buy a separate receiver, and hook it up to the aux in and hook it up to an Anker battery pack. I'm just hoping it won't add a new level of lag.