Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

Hey there! The game I've been working on, Villager Monsters, just launched on Kickstarter today.

It's a life sim game in the style of Animal Crossing with visual inspiration from Mother 3. It's meant to be a low key, relaxing game that you play to unwind

If you follow the game dev thread you may have seen me post a couple times. I quit my job back in January to create games full time, and this is my first opportunity to actually see if I can live off of it. Everything is very new to me, but it's as exciting as it in exhausting

That little snake playing snake in the corner is cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WarpDogs posted:

Hey there! The game I've been working on, Villager Monsters, just launched on Kickstarter today.

It's a life sim game in the style of Animal Crossing with visual inspiration from Mother 3. It's meant to be a low key, relaxing game that you play to unwind

If you follow the game dev thread you may have seen me post a couple times. I quit my job back in January to create games full time, and this is my first opportunity to actually see if I can live off of it. Everything is very new to me, but it's as exciting as it in exhausting

I wanted to play Stardew Valley with my 4-year-old but she didn't like that you fight monsters in it (even though you don't have to). She wanted to just go and make friends with them, so this looks 100% her jam. She can play as a girl, right?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Lol which part of the orc-looking sprite reads as gender coded to you?

e: seconding that the snake joke is cute as gently caress

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SaltyJesus posted:

Lol which part of the orc-looking sprite reads as gender coded to you?

e: seconding that the snake joke is cute as gently caress

I thought homeboy there with the 5 o'clock shadow was the PC, considering he's in almost all of the gameplay gifs on the kickstarter page.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
ah, fair. I was working off of the gif posted in the thread, my bad

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i dub thee Goondertale

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmm so I guess Divinity: Original Sin 2 is out tomorrow. I have too many games!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

D:OS2 coming out at the same time as Mordhau alpha, goddamnit

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Ukiyo wood art guy is back. I'm honestly thinking about getting the MGS or SotC one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1499165518/ukiyo-e-heroes-boss-fights

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Renoistic posted:

The Ukiyo wood art guy is back. I'm honestly thinking about getting the MGS or SotC one.

I think I like those two the best, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd play Edo Gear Solid and enjoy it more than the real MGS.

Also that's definitely my favourite of the prints, yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'd play Edo Gear Solid and enjoy it more than the real MGS.

Also that's definitely my favourite of the prints, yeah.

Have I got good news for you!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

The second one is feeling it's age, but still awesome.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I've played the first four Tenchu games extensively. :v:

Someone get Acquire and Konami to work together on making a new Tenchu game in the MGS5 engine, please. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Renoistic posted:

that flintlock should have a bamboo extension on it

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Memento posted:

I wanted to play Stardew Valley with my 4-year-old but she didn't like that you fight monsters in it (even though you don't have to). She wanted to just go and make friends with them, so this looks 100% her jam. She can play as a girl, right?

I'm curious about this too; some of the people I might try to convince to back will want this.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I miss the Tenchu games now. Tenchu Z was ok too, I enjoyed the co op aspect of it but once you got the map layout down, you could clear them in about a minute or two, tops. I used to be that rear end in a top hat who would drop into random games with all my max gear and just murder everything before anyone got a chance to.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Memento posted:

That's so insanely adorable! Yes, you can play as a girl. I'm not super happy with the WIP sprite so I don't feature it a lot, but you'll be able to choose your gender and look and can change it at any time

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've played the first four Tenchu games extensively. :v:

Someone get Acquire and Konami to work together on making a new Tenchu game in the MGS5 engine, please. :(

Alternatively: http://store.steampowered.com/app/418240/Shadow_Tactics_Blades_of_the_Shogun/

(Admittedly this is more Commandos: Sengoku edition than MGS but ninjas, but still)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i gotta be straight with you guys... it pains me to say it, but yooka laylee... yooka laylee is bad

i waited until the update to give it a fairshake again, but it's still bad, rampo is still bullshit, everything sucks

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have not gone back to that game since launch week.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Homestuck game... is out? We just got our choice of Steam key or DRM-free.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, Part 1 is out today. It's supposed to be actually quite good for a short (3ish hours) adventure game that doesn't actually require knowledge of Homestuck to enjoy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WarpDogs posted:

That's so insanely adorable! Yes, you can play as a girl. I'm not super happy with the WIP sprite so I don't feature it a lot, but you'll be able to choose your gender and look and can change it at any time

Oh yeah. It's on.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yes, the Homestuck game is good - short, but absolutely packed with writing. (Every pair of inventory items has a unique message when used together!)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WarpDogs posted:

Sold so hard. Good luck! Looks like you're on track to make it, glad to be along for the ride.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kurtofan posted:

i gotta be straight with you guys... it pains me to say it, but yooka laylee... yooka laylee is bad

i waited until the update to give it a fairshake again, but it's still bad, rampo is still bullshit, everything sucks

I found the controls very annoying and didn't play past the very start.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

To anyone who wants a quick first-look description, I played about an hour of the overblown Kickstarter success Homestuck game, Hiveswap.

At its core, it's a point and click adventure game but you probably already knew that. Although the writing is, of course, fantastic as expected and the art is, of course, rather well done and the music is, of course, pretty great... the game itself definitely feels like it was slapped together. I encountered at least 4 immersion-breaking (not really something you expect of an adventure game but here we are) bugs in the first hour alone and it really irked me hard. The scenes and screens sometimes shift oddly, as though the engine didn't know how to handle a 1080 display (the game's default resolution is below that, windowed) and there is one very early scene transition you'll make more than once that freezes the game for 10+ seconds to load but nothing else seems to cause the same loading issue. I also encountered a scene where the display for opening a box was tucked to the side of the screen, like I was seeing the behind-the-scenes of the game.

Despite the writing being good, I now think Andrew Hussie's comedy is best done in small bites and not in any format longer than, say, 15 minutes of time. I was a serial reader for Homestuck so I never had to deal with massive text dumps outside of the rare massive update. This matters because the game really is just a massive dump of Hussie humor as, astoundingly, every single thing has a unique text interaction with every single other thing in the game. The first room you start off in has more than a dozen things you can look at and get a jokey text description of... and then the first 4 things you pick up ALL have unique text when you try to use them on everything you can look at in the room. It's pretty insane and led me to spending 30 minutes at the beginning of the game just reading everything interacting with everything else, making a save, and deciding I was instead going to play the game and just run through it a second time to read everything at a later time.

Also it feels like the game doesn't have any sound effects. It's weird because you get used to this fact for all the animations in Homestuck (in which just music plays while you watch a thing occur) but in a video game it doesn't feel like it fits at all. Some of the musical transitions between cinematic and game are mastered incorrect, so scene transitions can be jarring. The "combat" system isn't really a combat system at all, it's just another scene of point-and-click combine the right stuff Adventure game with no fail state.

So, yeah, I'm kinda mixed on it. I'm glad they managed to pull through and build the thing despite The Odd Gentlemen stealing their money and running but I feel like the game could have used a more open beta-testing period before the full release. Lord knows the Kickstarters would have gladly tested it but they didn't take advantage of that fact. Also, it's 8 bucks. I know it's half the game but I don't think anyone Kickstarted this expecting an experience that the developers valued at 16 bucks. Hopefully I come out feeling like they massively undercut their own value. Edit: Apparently this is 1 of 8 parts. What the gently caress...

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 16, 2017

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

DaveKap posted:

To anyone who wants a quick first-look description, I played about an hour of the overblown Kickstarter success Homestuck game, Hiveswap.

I didn't back this at the time, since I never read the comic, but I've checked out a bit of gameplay video here and there... I know there was an Odd Gentlemen controversy and this was actually made on a fraction of the money that they raised, but a lot of people are not wise to that, so this bodes preeetty bad in the bang for your back territory. There's some great animation here and there, background art is detailed, music is nice (if repetitive af), but at a glimpse overall it looks a lot cheaper than the launch trailer would make you believe.

This might be comic related but there are some weird graphical choices, like descriptions appearing as courier-type font on grey rectangles, and as you pointed out there's zero voices and sound effects. Again, I've only watched maybe 30 minutes altogether but lacking so much audio really hurts the experience imo. Voices are pretty much standard issue for adventure games, it's so weird that for such a short game they don't have them. Not to toot my own horn but we're working on a game with a shoestring budget and we're also doing the every-item-on-every-hotspot-or-item-gets-custom-response, and it's not exactly a short game... And we're gonna pony up and voice everything because it's a huge part of the experience. Again, no idea how much this game really cost, but it feels a bit like skating by while relying on the fandom eating it up just because it's their favorite comic characters (or, actually, world, I understand these are new characters).

Anyway, maybe it sounds like I'm hating on it - I'm actually not, there's some beautiful stuff here, but not being a fan of the IP I wasn't really drawn in. If and when all episodes are out I'd be curious to play it through, and maybe they'll get some revenue and add some kind of voices and sound DLC, I think it would make a big difference.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

DaveKap posted:

Edit: Apparently this is 1 of 8 parts. What the gently caress...
I think it's four parts, not eight.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Divinity: Original Sin II released on Thursday and seems to be quite successful with more than 75,000 concurrent players on Steam last night. Right now it's at 85,000+, in fact. Getting positive reviews too, so good for Larian.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Phlegmish posted:

Divinity: Original Sin II released on Thursday and seems to be quite successful with more than 75,000 concurrent players on Steam last night. Right now it's at 85,000+, in fact. Getting positive reviews too, so good for Larian.

It owns, BTW.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's absolutely living up to the hype, though I haven't gotten a chance to run Dungeon Master Mode or PvP yet

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just couldn't get into the first one. It felt like kind of a grind.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

It's definitely very oldschool in its sensibilities. You really have to approach it as a video game first, a world & story second or you'll just get stomped by everything.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not really enjoying it at all. The pacing is really off and I spend more time trying to find which part of the map has the mobs I'm supposed to fight rather than just playing and enjoying myself. I'm level 4 in the swamps and the only enemies I have left to fight seem to be a bunch of basilisks on the beach and a group of level 6 skeletons I can't beat.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
From the Composer of Skyrim - Soule Symphony No. 1

Description posted:

Symphony No. 1, "The Northerner" (Opus 1) will mark Jeremy's first foray into the grand traditions of classical music. This symphonic work is planned to feature live players and singers in addition to the innovative technologies for which Jeremy has become known.

"Kickstarter offers us a wonderful opportunity, and with your help, we can kindle the beginnings of what will be a new way in which to bring life to music in the concert hall and into the lives of others. I want to thank you in advance, dear friends and supporters, for your kindness, enthusiasm, and belief in what I do. I look forward to writing this work for you." -Jeremy

Risks and challenges posted:

"I will be working with the same team that has provided reliable and excellent support throughout my career. Recordings aren't easy to make, but if planning is done within a reasonable time frame, the process can go smoothly. As we have delved into the initial planning stages of the recording session, scheduling for the summer months affords us enough planning time for a recording of this nature." -Jeremy

Support this project posted:

Estimated delivery Sep 2013

Update #23 - Feb 9 2017

Good Morning Northerners! posted:

This update is long overdue, and for that, I apologize.

When I started this project back in early 2013, I had an idea in mind and a timeline in which to accomplish it, but as I began the work, it grew bigger and more complex. I realized that technology didn't exist for some of the music I was writing, and that the project would take longer due to these limitations, and its increased length.

The symphony as it stands is more than 6 times the scale of what I initially envisioned, and simply put, that will take at least 6 times as long to complete. I have also had to take out time to create the necessary technology for the project.

I have not abandoned this, and the thought that my backers feel this way hurts. I have hurt you and I have let you down, but I will NOT fail you. The Northerner is still my priority, and my ventures in Roland are toward this end.

I am truly thankful for all of you who have stood with me through this extended project, and appreciate all the comments, whether support or criticism.

I have been hard at work, and have failed to give timely updates, and I am very sorry for that. Going forward, I will be giving monthly updates, no matter how big or small my achievements in that time.

The technology is nearly done, and recording has begun in the US and Iceland. I can't give an exact date yet, but we're approaching the final stages.

Thank you again for sticking with me, and it is my greatest hope that The Northerner will be worth the wait, however long that may be.

Jeremy Soule

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Project launched March 2013.

Estimated delivery September 2013.

quote:

The symphony as it stands is more than 6 times the scale of what I initially envisioned, and simply put, that will take at least 6 times as long to complete.

Well it's been four and a half years, so he's currently sitting on nine times as long with no end in sight.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

What I know thanks to kickstarter is to never ever back a game or anything else.

death is certain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I basically backed Barkley 2 to pay for Barkley 1 and NuRen to pay for Flowerguy's Pool Party and if anything comes out of it all the better.