Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

From the Composer of Skyrim - Soule Symphony No. 1

Update #23 - Feb 9 2017

Good Morning Northerners! posted:

This update is long overdue, and for that, I apologize.

When I started this project back in early 2013, I had an idea in mind and a timeline in which to accomplish it, but as I began the work, it grew bigger and more complex. I realized that technology didn't exist for some of the music I was writing, and that the project would take longer due to these limitations, and its increased length.

The symphony as it stands is more than 6 times the scale of what I initially envisioned, and simply put, that will take at least 6 times as long to complete. I have also had to take out time to create the necessary technology for the project.

I have not abandoned this, and the thought that my backers feel this way hurts. I have hurt you and I have let you down, but I will NOT fail you. The Northerner is still my priority, and my ventures in Roland are toward this end.

I am truly thankful for all of you who have stood with me through this extended project, and appreciate all the comments, whether support or criticism.

I have been hard at work, and have failed to give timely updates, and I am very sorry for that. Going forward, I will be giving monthly updates, no matter how big or small my achievements in that time.

The technology is nearly done, and recording has begun in the US and Iceland. I can't give an exact date yet, but we're approaching the final stages.

Thank you again for sticking with me, and it is my greatest hope that The Northerner will be worth the wait, however long that may be.

Jeremy Soule

From the comment page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/499808045/from-the-composer-of-skyrim-soule-symphony-no-1/comments?cursor=15889835#comment-15889834

Mysta02 on February 9 posted:

From Jeremy Soule

-------------------

Good morning Northerners!

This update is long overdue, and for that, I apologize.

When I started this project back in early 2013, I had an idea in mind and a timeline in which to accomplish it, but as I began the work, it grew bigger and more complex. I realized that technology didn't exist for some of the music I was writing, and that the project would take longer due to these limitations, and its increased length.

The symphony as it stands is more than 6 times the scale of what I initially envisioned, and simply put, that will take at least 6 times as long to complete. I have also had to take out time to create the necessary technology for the project.

I have not abandoned this, and the thought that my backers feel this way hurts. I have hurt you and I have let you down, but I will NOT fail you. The Northerner is still my priority, and my ventures in Roland are toward this end.

I am truly thankful for all of you who have stood with me through this extended project, and appreciate all the comments, whether support or criticism.

I have been hard at work, and have failed to give timely updates, and I am very sorry for that. Going forward, I will be giving monthly updates, no matter how big or small my achievements in that time.

The technology is nearly done, and recording has begun in the US and Iceland. I can't give an exact date yet, but we're approaching the final stages.

Thank you again for sticking with me, and it is my greatest hope that The Northerner will be worth the wait, however long that may be.

Jeremy Soule

-------------------------

Alright, that wasn't written by Jeremy, but I wish it was. It's what I've been waiting 4 years to read. Many disagree, I'm sure, but for me, I'm willing to wait as long as it takes, but I want to hear from Jeremy that this is a priority, he's thankful to his backers, and that work is moving forward. I want a rough timeline, and I want regular updates.

Please Jeremy. We love your work, but we want to hear from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jeremy Soule's KS isn't just behind schedule, he's straight-up not doing anything and he won't even read/touch the KS page anymore, his management team has to scrape his Facebook page for comments they can cut/paste to look like updates. (The last time this KS came up was when his management accidentally cut/pasted a hypothetical "I wish Jeremy would at least say this"-style post from a backer as if it were a real update from Jeremy.) People have to fight through passive-aggressive bullshit from his handlers in order to get refunds and Jeremy himself is a weird primadonna who can't and won't answer people about anything.

For the first couple years his excuses were "I'm working on project x to pay the bills but as soon as that's done I'll work full time on the symphony" and that eventually turned into "I'm working full-time for Roland now and as soon as I finish working on this audio protocol that is going to revolutionise the music industry I'll use it to produce my symphony" which is not at all what people paid for, but whatever, it's not like it's going to happen either way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

When was the last time that a promise of monthly updates after a period of silence has actually been fulfilled?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit, the Castle Story devs became downright spammy after people complained about their silence on Kickstarter. Pretty sure that was all reposts from the blog that nobody visited though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jeremy soule should compose barkley 2

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

is barkley 2 vaporware yet

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm not really enjoying it at all. The pacing is really off and I spend more time trying to find which part of the map has the mobs I'm supposed to fight rather than just playing and enjoying myself. I'm level 4 in the swamps and the only enemies I have left to fight seem to be a bunch of basilisks on the beach and a group of level 6 skeletons I can't beat.

This is pretty much exactly how Original Sin 1 went for me so I think I'll skip this one.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Ramadu posted:

is barkley 2 vaporware yet

67.3% there.

They said 2023 as a "joke" release date. I truly believe they were meta trolling us.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Bieeardo posted:

I have to admit, the Castle Story devs became downright spammy after people complained about their silence on Kickstarter. Pretty sure that was all reposts from the blog that nobody visited though.
At least it actually got them to finish the game, even if it was 5 years late.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is true. I was pleasantly surprised by that turn, even if I'd lost interest in the game two years in.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

When was the last time that a promise of monthly updates after a period of silence has actually been fulfilled?

Confederate Express for a loose interpretation of 'fulfilled'.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muhagames/thea-2-the-shattering

thea 1 was good

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why the gently caress would anyone pay a dude who writes video game music upfront for a symphony. Like what the gently caress were people thinking

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mr Underhill posted:

This might be comic related but there are some weird graphical choices, like descriptions appearing as courier-type font on grey rectangles, and as you pointed out there's zero voices and sound effects. Again, I've only watched maybe 30 minutes altogether but lacking so much audio really hurts the experience imo. Voices are pretty much standard issue for adventure games, it's so weird that for such a short game they don't have them.
This is all purely comic related. Since the comic itself had adventure-game-like portions where you would walk around and interact with things, the game was supposed to be an extension of that kind of stuff, which specifically never had voice acting and was always just music, no sfx. That said, it really does make the game look lazy to anyone who isn't into the motif or doesn't get the joke. I honestly am not into the game not having sfx but I can handle the no voice acting part.

Mr Underhill posted:

Not to toot my own horn but we're working on a game with a shoestring budget
The difference here is that your game is likely being worked on by people who understand how to do what they're doing. Because The Odd Gentlemen took the money and ran (I think the story went that they eventually ponied up a small portion as a lawsuit settlement but it wasn't nearly enough to cover what was taken) there was no money to hire developers and artists who knew what they were doing. As such, a ramshackle (affordable) group of people were brought together. I'm sure your game is being built by people who know not to dereference a null pointer but it's highly likely the Hiveswap devs treated the whole thing as a really good learning experience.

It's worth noting that all the high-level expensive backer rewards were pretty nice. All the physical goods probably, for some, made it worth the price. At the end of the day, I barely really considered it a Kickstarter for a Homestuck game because it was more like a memorabilia/swag store.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 18, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone pay a dude who writes video game music upfront for a symphony. Like what the gently caress were people thinking

His asking price was like $10k or something, too.

Chalk it up to early KS fever, I guess?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul Zuvella posted:

They were thinking "i want video game music man to write me a video game music but big".

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

DaveKap posted:

The difference here is that your game is likely being worked on by people who understand how to do what they're doing. Because The Odd Gentlemen took the money and ran (I think the story went that they eventually ponied up a small portion as a lawsuit settlement but it wasn't nearly enough to cover what was taken) there was no money to hire developers and artists who knew what they were doing. As such, a ramshackle (affordable) group of people were brought together. I'm sure your game is being built by people who know not to dereference a null pointer but it's highly likely the Hiveswap devs treated the whole thing as a really good learning experience.

It's worth noting that all the high-level expensive backer rewards were pretty nice. All the physical goods probably, for some, made it worth the price. At the end of the day, I barely really considered it a Kickstarter for a Homestuck game because it was more like a memorabilia/swag store.

Yeah, to be 100% honest I don't really know what went down there and what their budget really was. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be hosed over by someone you hire to the extent that you have to start your own development company just to fulfill your KS obligations, so good on them for ultimately making it happen.

Oh and I like the fact that it's not afraid of being wordy. Sometimes this criticism gets thrown at adventure games, and I get that they're an interactive medium first and foremost, but I love it when characters talk a lot, or describe things in detail... provided it's well written, and in Hiveswap it is. Seems to be selling pretty well, too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paul Zuvella posted:

well... you usually pay your composer upfront, yeah. but you also usually don't hire them until you have enough game for them to compose to

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

well... you usually pay your composer upfront, yeah. but you also usually don't hire them until you have enough game for them to compose to

And also contract.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm not really enjoying it at all. The pacing is really off and I spend more time trying to find which part of the map has the mobs I'm supposed to fight rather than just playing and enjoying myself. I'm level 4 in the swamps and the only enemies I have left to fight seem to be a bunch of basilisks on the beach and a group of level 6 skeletons I can't beat.

Yeah. It feels like you really have to do everything to keep up with level parity.
Also there are no vanilla mobs. Even the Crocodiles cast spells at you!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I just kicked in for Scorn

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein

After seeing some concept art and a flythrough trailer on Tumblr; just the right mix of Giger and Beksinski to pique my interest.

Hopefully the gameplay will match up :o:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just kicked in for Scorn

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein

After seeing some concept art and a flythrough trailer on Tumblr; just the right mix of Giger and Beksinski to pique my interest.

Hopefully the gameplay will match up :o:

The gameplay will be to find the exit of a maze made of giant biomechanical genitalia while trying not to step on a bunch of drooling malformed fetuses. All while a faint, tired moaning is heard in the distance

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The gameplay will be to find the exit of a maze made of giant biomechanical genitalia while trying not to step on a bunch of drooling malformed fetuses. All while a faint, tired moaning is heard in the distance

Well one can only hope

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Sigh... story of my life.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
So remember Carmageddon Reincarnation? A game that got funded in 2012, released in 2015 for PC, and re-released in 2016 for PC and consoles to mild success? A Kickstarter success story right?

Except no. Unlike most Kickstarters that deliver everything but the game, Stainless have (eventually) fulfilled their obligation of delivering the game, but completely folded on the physical rewards. So basically the more you paid, the more you got screwed. Even better, while they went to the trouble of porting to consoles (not an original goal), they totally forgot about Mac / Linux (part of a stretch goal).

The excuse was always they were too busy with the game, but now it's been out for a year, so they've just gone silent on their backers instead, while still carrying on with their business and working on new titles. In all likelihood they probably realized they promised way too many physical rewards and bailed.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosebelle/selling-sunlight-a-wandering-merchant-rpg

Selling Sunlight, which describes itself as a "wandering merchant RPG." Kind of seems like a narrative RPG, which means it has a whole lot of neat mechanics and none of them seem related to combat, so this is either entirely up your alley (me) or totally not at all.

Devs were in the Failbetter incubation program and their influence is quite clear. (Also, disclosure that because of that, I know someone who contributed to it, so yada yada, take my recommendation with salt.)

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 19, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Star Guarded posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosebelle/selling-sunlight-a-wandering-merchant-rpg

Selling Sunlight, which describes itself as a "wandering merchant RPG." Kind of seems like a narrative RPG, which means it has a whole lot of neat mechanics and none of them seem related to combat, so this is either entirely up your alley (me) or totally not at all.

Devs were in the Failbetter incubation program and their influence is quite clear. (Also, disclosure that because of that, I know someone who contributed to it, so yada yada, take my recommendation with salt.)

Looks really cool, backed. Thanks!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Star Guarded posted:

Oooh this is I think an all-girl studio right? I think I saw this on Tig Source. Fell in love with the aesthetic, looks lovely! Very, very cool.

Reminds me of that Moebius-inspired French cartoon from the 90s, the Arcadia one, anyone know what I'm talking about?

E: I mean this one:

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 19, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr Underhill posted:

Oooh this is I think an all-girl studio right? I think I saw this on Tig Source. Fell in love with the aesthetic, looks lovely! Very, very cool.

Reminds me of that Moebius-inspired French cartoon from the 90s, the Arcadia one, anyone know what I'm talking about?

E: I mean this one:

Holy drat, there's a reference I never would have expected. "Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea" was the name of the show.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
New game on Fig, Crazy Justice. It's a cel-shaded cartoony 3rd person shooter with destructible environments, skill decks and buildable defenses.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 19, 2017

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Star Guarded posted:

What really sold me was "too many bees".

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Yeah agreed. Great devs, already a delivered product with awesome review scores, good track record of support, unique setting. Looks like they are following Harebrained funding strategy for their games now too (internal funding from previous game + KS for extra help).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
[quote="“SupSuper”" post="“476559121”"]
So remember Carmageddon Reincarnation? A game that got funded in 2012, released in 2015 for PC, and re-released in 2016 for PC and consoles to mild success? A Kickstarter success story right?

Except no. Unlike most Kickstarters that deliver everything but the game, Stainless have (eventually) fulfilled their obligation of delivering the game, but completely folded on the physical rewards. So basically the more you paid, the more you got screwed. Even better, while they went to the trouble of porting to consoles (not an original goal), they totally forgot about Mac / Linux (part of a stretch goal).

The excuse was always they were too busy with the game, but now it’s been out for a year, so they’ve just gone silent on their backers instead, while still carrying on with their business and working on new titles. In all likelihood they probably realized they promised way too many physical rewards and bailed.
[/quote]

I honestly don’t think it sold that well. It ran and played like absolute garbage at least and was really only marginally improved with the re-release. I wanted to like it so badly but they couldn’t have made it any less fun to drive cars and crash them into things.

And Crazy Justice looks like Not Fortnite.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Did anyone back Rides With Strangers? Wondering why it got postponed

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yodzilla posted:

I honestly don’t think it sold that well. It ran and played like absolute garbage at least and was really only marginally improved with the re-release. I wanted to like it so badly but they couldn’t have made it any less fun to drive cars and crash them into things.
I also wanted to like it but the thing they decided to do, which was the worst decision, was have the physics of the cars be realistic. If you, as a developer, cannot recognize that your original titles were popular due to having arcade-like driving controls, I don't know how the gently caress you ever thought adding realistic driving physics would be a good idea.

There were other more glaring problems with the game but I like to find the underlying issues like this one and completely blame them for the failure of the entire product. I'm glad I didn't pay past the "get the beta" tier.

Hey so random question about Fig. Have any of the games sold enough that investors made a profit on their investment?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Megazver posted:

New game on Fig, Crazy Justice. It's a cel-shaded cartoony 3rd person shooter with destructible environments, skill decks and buildable defenses.

even down to the font it looks like fortnite

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Megazver posted:

I don't play multiplayer shooters so I may be missing the hook with this one - is there something unique that this is doing that the other big name FPS games aren't?

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Hey so random question about Fig. Have any of the games sold enough that investors made a profit on their investment?

Yes, out of their 3 released projects, "Kingdoms and Castles" has turned a profit.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Trapezium Dave posted:

I don't play multiplayer shooters so I may be missing the hook with this one - is there something unique that this is doing that the other big name FPS games aren't?

Freeform building and destructible terrain it seems like. Battlefield has destruction but not really to the level they're aiming for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Star Guarded posted:

Thanks for posting this, it's the first thing I've backed in about a year.