Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

but no one in the west knows what to do about it other than get rid of our most effective artillery munitions.

I like that lobbying the new administration on this isn't just talked about, it's published in writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Puerto Rico has been in the news a lot lately. The island's ATC radar is down because of the hurricane and, as a result, the planes bringing in disaster supplies and handling evacuations are limited to taking off and landing in 15 minute intervals for spacing. Would it be possible / practical for the US Navy to move an Arleigh Burke or Ticonderoga AEGIS ship into the area to temporarily provide terminal control?

No. The problem isn't the immediate area around San Juan, the problem is that the San Juan radar feed is the only sensor source in that vicinity, which means that Miami center is non-radar in that area as well, even for unrelated overflight traffic.

This isn't to mention that San Juan CENRAP was having power problems BEFORE the storm hit (their onsite generators had failed a week or two prior to the storm, because they'd been running for NINE DAYS, due to unacceptable grid input,) because of Puerto Rico's crumbling infrastructure. San Juan CENRAP is running limited ops with staffing that relocated to Miami Center just before the storm.

Also, I don't think Navy ships that aren't flat on top have the staffing or facilities for running radar services like what you're thinking about. They're much more about "hey look, a thing. Point a targeting radar at it and kill the thing." Even carriers are a lot more like a tower with radar than a true terminal radar facility.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It still might not be a thing they'd do, but a marine corps mobile air traffic control unit might work?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Obviously you need to keep an AWACS on permanent station. How do we keep track of where the AWACS is? Well,

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Air Force and marines both have teams that can get a plane on the ground in a messed up environment, at least.

E: how that works with faa and private aviation I've no idea.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 27, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Thanks for the answers about protecting your counter battery radars - are the EW systems that detect these things silent? (I want to say passive but that's the video game warrior in me speaking). It they are it seems like it would be very hard to avoid a trap where someone fires some guns to get you to switch your radar on, detects them with the thing you don't know is listening, then fires a whole lot more hidden guns at your radar. I guess the real answer is overwhelming force or the Decoys, they seem like a really good idea.
Passive is the correct word, and yes, emissions detection is in most cases passive. The logical question for your scenario is: to what extent does your shell tracking radar out range artillery/how far can it be deployed behind the FLOT? Also, if a unit is taking incoming artillery, they already need to displace, so the additional wrinkle of "displace the shell tracker as well" seems like a natural extension.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
D'oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzFwjT-D10M

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Crossposting from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

This, uh...seems like a really dumb idea: https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/5b65f2...uts-aerial.html

This is 100% "Trump wants a new airplane *now*."

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Crossposting from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

This, uh...seems like a really dumb idea: https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/5b65f2...uts-aerial.html

This is 100% "Trump wants a new airplane *now*."

It's because he wants it to be cheaper because dealmaking/optics/whatever. He ordered that the staff find ways to cut cost and this is what they found. It's not because he wants it sooner.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mortabis posted:

It's because he wants it to be cheaper because dealmaking/optics/whatever. He ordered that the staff find ways to cut cost and this is what they found. It's not because he wants it sooner.

Yes, I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's on record that he saw the Kuwaiti 747-8 BBJ and complained that "theirs was biggah" than his.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-plane-emir-kuwait-size-661916 (Newsweek erroneously lists the Emir's plane as a 747-400)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 27, 2017

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Was the guy in charge of paving the runway to the right length also in charge of ordering tripods?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Was the guy in charge of paving the runway to the right length also in charge of ordering tripods?

He was too busy sneaking aboard backfires and pulling parachute handles on takeoff to pay attention to that poo poo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's on record that he saw the Kuwaiti 747-8 BBJ and complained that "theirs was biggah" than his.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-plane-emir-kuwait-size-661916 (Newsweek erroneously lists the Emir's plane as a 747-400)

Boeing needs to make a special AF1 from an elongated, quad GEnx powered Supper Guppy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Boeing needs to make a special AF1 from an elongated, quad GEnx powered Supper Guppy.

Already exists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Dreamlifter

Doesn't use GEnx'es, though.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Voila, first plane with vaulted ceilings.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Voila, first plane with vaulted ceilings.

"I want 'da chandahlears all gold and Swavrovski and mounted onna things what make da pool tables not move on cruise ships...y'know, *gumballs*."

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Indeed I am sure of this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Someone cares very strongly about the Hustler.

quote:

“The introduction of highly-accurate Soviet surface-to-air missiles forced the B-58 into a low-level-penetration role that severely limited its range and strategic value.”
THIS MYTH IS FALSE: Its range was not severely limited and was quite adequate for the Hustlers to attack all of their 160 assigned targets in the Soviet Union. And the B-58 could do this with less tanker support than what was required for its former high-altitude supersonic attack role. So, in comparison to other bombers its strategic value was actually enhanced. Wikipedia notes the following about the B-58’s strategic value, “Although its large wing made for relatively low wing loading, it proved to be surprisingly well suited for low-altitude, high-speed flight.”

(Emphasis not mine)

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 28, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do we have any sort of upper bound on the size of any sort of space station for HEO or is cost pretty much the only upper bound?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

myheadisfulloffuck.jpg

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The hell is this from? :lol:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do we have any sort of upper bound on the size of any sort of space station for HEO or is cost pretty much the only upper bound?

A big enough station would run into launch schedule issues to keep it crewed and supplied. The total lift capacity to high orbit is limited.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

Obviously the 'Left Behind' movie, because in said image we've clearly joined with other nations and formed a One World Government which is headed by The Child of the Fallen One.

Also, you could theoretically put a *gigantic* space station at the Lagrangian points, but that's a bit higher than HEO.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I'm the Mig-29's.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Godholio posted:

Apparently episode 13 of this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah sure, why not

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I could have sworn I've seen it before. It looks like something out of the 80's, back when models were cheaper than CGI.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Looks like it's from some TV show called Salvation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvation_(TV_series)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cat Mattress posted:

Apparently episode 13 of this.

Huh, I didn't realise someone created a prequel to Ace Combat Infinity.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That Works posted:

Yeah sure, why not

I love it. Not a single USN aircraft.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I just realized the caption is in kilometers :psyduck:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FrozenVent posted:

I just realized the caption is in kilometers :psyduck:

Well there are MiGs and Typhoons on deck so, gotta maintain accuracy

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Are there any carrier capable aircraft in that picture? My head hurts.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Gnoman posted:

The helicopters?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Gnoman posted:

There is a carrier variant of the Mig-29, but I can't tell if those are it. I also thought the delta winged ones were Rafaels but I guess they are atually Eurofighters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This parallel universe looks cool

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

^^^^ a lot better than the timeline we're currently in, for drat sure.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"I want 'da chandahlears all gold and Swavrovski and mounted onna things what make da pool tables not move on cruise ships...y'know, *gumballs*."

As always, Onion has done it first and done it better

quote:

Dennis, whole interior should be marble, not just floor. Make sure it has marble fixtures in the bathroom and the kitchen, and all the doors should be made of marble. Walls need to be marble too

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Puerto Rico has been in the news a lot lately. The island's ATC radar is down because of the hurricane and, as a result, the planes bringing in disaster supplies and handling evacuations are limited to taking off and landing in 15 minute intervals for spacing. Would it be possible / practical for the US Navy to move an Arleigh Burke or Ticonderoga AEGIS ship into the area to temporarily provide terminal control?

You wouldn't use an Aegis ship for it, but in reality it's a combination of everything that was discussed. A ground-based USAF CRC or USMC... TACC? Whatever their equivalent control center is, can be quickly deployed and set up near an air field to handle terminal control. An E-2 Hawkeye or E-3 AWACS can provide en-route direction and radar/comms coverage in areas where ground-based transmitters have been knocked out. A carrier has the logistical and command and control capabilities to serve as a staging area and headquarters to direct the relief efforts. It doesn't allow full ATC service, but the goal is to facilitate the movement of critical supplies and medical teams as a short-term response until civil services can be restored.

Here's the official pub on it if anyone is curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I like the NH90 and what looks like a county hospital medevac chopper, really rounds out the "how the gently caress did these get in a carrier" feel