Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

DoctorTristan posted:

They're now past the point where Broken Age revealed it had completely blown its budget, so hopefully things are on track!

I think it helps that they knew exactly the scope of the game they were going to make, Broken Age was a moving target from the moment it was conceived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Does A Hat in Time have co-op?

edit: looks like it's coming post release, oh well

Cicero fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 6, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Spent the day playing it. It's really good and you should play it.

That's good to know, and makes Yooka Laylee all the more depressing since they had way, way more money and talent by most accounts.

Hope that Psychonauts 2 is good too to completely wash out Playtonic's taste.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yooka Laylee is bad because the core concept of those games is bad.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Not really, no.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's great, a couple levels in. Fun and charming enough to overcome my dislike of the N64-era ones (which Yooka-Laylee very much rekindled).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think the fun of the collectathon is pretty much directly related to the fun involved in traversing a level and the relative ease of getting the collectibles. I liked getting collectibles in 2008's Prince of Persia just because I liked swinging around the levels and the fact that they glowed nicely, so they were clearly visible.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yooka Laylee suffered from large levels combined with a lack of clear direction of where to go within those levels. It was very overindulgent in that regard.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kibayasu posted:

Yooka Laylee suffered from large levels combined with a lack of clear direction of where to go within those levels. It was very overindulgent in that regard.

And the levels were generally very flat as well, there wasn't a lot of depth or verticality to them which was always something Banjo Kazooie did well. So they were too big but also not that interesting to get around.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

And it was often not obvious at all when you needed a power from a later level in order to progress.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
The Barkley 2 team took time out of their extremely busy schedules to let us know what they are up to:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/2008665

Basically adding a fishing game and fast forward in the dialog screens...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

fishmech posted:

the core concept of those games is bad.

if you hate fun, sure

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

The Barkley 2 team took time out of their extremely busy schedules to let us know what they are up to:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/2008665

Basically adding a fishing game and fast forward in the dialog screens...

Um hello, they also finished the tutorial.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

A Hat In Time came out today and by all accounts it's really good. Has anyone played it yet?

good game though really short, not sure what happened to the last 2 stretch goal chapters, and the ending is really weird with everyone basically chanting shame at the antagonist as she claims she tried to fix things and then severing with her

the paint/hat unlockable system can go to hell though

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

good game though really short, not sure what happened to the last 2 stretch goal chapters

they're coming as free dlc. it's a 12-hour game or so.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Undungeon has been delayed, to the surprise of absolutely no one. They'll give us a date later, and are working on a demo that we can play instead.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

exploded mummy posted:

good game though really short, not sure what happened to the last 2 stretch goal chapters, and the ending is really weird with everyone basically chanting shame at the antagonist as she claims she tried to fix things and then severing with her

the paint/hat unlockable system can go to hell though

Yeah I feel that Mustache Girl needed to be more active in the game to pull that. The story is set up for her to do so, but nothing is done until the end. We should've gotten races against her imo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

they're coming as free dlc. it's a 12-hour game or so.

I suspected as much but couldn't really find anything for it.

Lessail posted:

Yeah I feel that Mustache Girl needed to be more active in the game to pull that. The story is set up for her to do so, but nothing is done until the end. We should've gotten races against her imo

I'm not even getting into the story villain showing up for like 3 levels and then disappearing for 75% of the gane. just the bits about everyone telling her to get out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jupiter Hell is also being delayed, to no surprise.

That's two games getting delayed in less than a week. :sigh:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

exploded mummy posted:

I suspected as much but couldn't really find anything for it.

I'm not even getting into the story villain showing up for like 3 levels and then disappearing for 75% of the gane. just the bits about everyone telling her to get out.

Yeah, it's really weird. "Oh no she's doing what we did get her out of here!!!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I thought the tone of the ending was a bit weird yeah. I wanted Mustache Girl to come away with me on my ship and leave behind this stink-planet.

Overall though I loved the game. The final Time Piece in Alpine Skyline was probably my overall highlight it was absolutely awesome.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Weird. Every time I saw Crazy Justice posted on facebook or twitter during screenshotsaturday it was by far raking in the most likes and comments, and it seems to be doing... abysmally on Fig.

I mean they're at around $20k out of a $30 ask with 8 days to go, so they might make it, but $12k of those are Fig funds. How does this happen? Had they really not shown the game to anyone other than other indie devs, who obviously aren't that much into funding your game? For gently caress's sake they even have a battle royale mode, doesn't get any more "in" than that. And it's a drat' impressive game made by two brothers IIRC. It's starting to look more and more like things like screenshotsaturday are nice for getting feedback but really mean gently caress-all toward your game's visibility and popularity.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
it looks like Fortnite

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Shakes and Fidget, the adventure, is now on KS. Really curious if it'll raise its funds.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/111416884/shakes-and-fidget-the-adventure

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

Shakes and Fidget, the adventure, is now on KS. Really curious if it'll raise its funds.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/111416884/shakes-and-fidget-the-adventure

I'll just repost my comment from the Adventure Games thread:

The video is a little tone deaf. I really like KingArt and I am always rooting for them, but eeeeehhhhhh. It actually seems to be based on a F2P game I've never loving heard of before, but which seems super-popular? (Big deal in Germany, it seems.) I guess KAG needed the money? EDIT: Oh and there's also a German-only webcomic.

I'll pledge for now, because money attracts money, but will probably pull out before the end.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 11, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was a WoW webcomic that was popular in the German corner of the internet. The mobile game or w/e it is, that's more recent.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The game is being made by the people who made the Book of Unwritten Tales series by the way. It sounds like they are making this game to get the funding to make BoUT 3.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The game is being made by the people who made the Book of Unwritten Tales series by the way. It sounds like they are making this game to get the funding to make BoUT 3.

Yeah, it strikes me as a 'keep the company afloat' project. Let's hope Germans still like their adventure games.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Megazver posted:

Yeah, it strikes me as a 'keep the company afloat' project. Let's hope Germans still like their adventure games.

Apparently, they do - 14k Euros in a few hours is nothing to sneeze at. But funding BoUT out of this? I thought that was their big money maker.

What I really don't like are the animations, they look kinda cheap.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

Apparently, they do - 14k Euros in a few hours is nothing to sneeze at.

Ehhhh. Not when the end goal is 250k.

quote:

But funding BoUT out of this? I thought that was their big money maker.

KING Art posted:

Many people asked us when we’d be making The Book of Unwritten Tales 3.

Truth is we’d love to make BoUT3, but point-and-click adventure games are in a tough spot right now. Not many publishers are willing to invest in a classic adventure game and we wouldn’t want BoUT3 to be a cheap knock-off.

The "Shakes & Fidget – The Adventure" campaign is an important test for us. If it’s successful we’re not only going to make a great Shakes & Fidget game, we’ll also be able to use this success as a starting point to take up talks about BoUT3 with publishers again.

Please support the Shakes & Fidget campaign if you can and let others know about it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
BTW

Mr Underhill posted:

I was basing my 1.5 mil estimate FOR THE CYANIDE AND HAPPINESS ADVENTURE GAME on the fact that if you go to their website you get auto-prompted to back their Kickstarter, and since they have a shitload of readers that might prove to be a very different trending graph than most Kickstarters (in fact, it's very idiotically and annoyingly implemented - every single time you move to another comic page it prompts you again, it's nuts). Who knows, really, but the IP is huuuge.

Megazver posted:

Yeah, but they had other Kickstarters as well, a 700k animation.one and a 3,5m boardgame one and I bet they promoted the poo poo out of those as well. Boardgames get crazy money on Kickstarter still, videogames struggle and their current pace is okay but, judging by the stretch goals, not what they hoped for, so I bet it'll be closer to their ~700k result.

They got 575k HA HA IN YO FACE, MR UNDERHILL, HA HA HA I WIN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Woah, Ok, I was a bit - 1 mil - off, hey, these things happen ahem. Btw my King Kickstarter estimate is 300k. Hit me with a number!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hard to say on the first day, but I'll go with slightly below 200k.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Okay, I know kictraq is way off for the first couple of days, but they are trending toward 1 mil Euros. Are you sure you're saying this thing won't fund? Looks like the whole of Germany is behind this thing :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Village Monsters is down to the last day and needs to raise about six thousand dollars, and mmmmm.... Not sure if it's gonna fund, but I finally decided to kick some money its way despite my wariness of the art style. (Hi it's me, I'm the one person on Earth who didn't like Mother 3)

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Mr Underhill posted:

Weird. Every time I saw Crazy Justice posted on facebook or twitter during screenshotsaturday it was by far raking in the most likes and comments, and it seems to be doing... abysmally on Fig.

I mean they're at around $20k out of a $30 ask with 8 days to go, so they might make it, but $12k of those are Fig funds. How does this happen? Had they really not shown the game to anyone other than other indie devs, who obviously aren't that much into funding your game? For gently caress's sake they even have a battle royale mode, doesn't get any more "in" than that. And it's a drat' impressive game made by two brothers IIRC. It's starting to look more and more like things like screenshotsaturday are nice for getting feedback but really mean gently caress-all toward your game's visibility and popularity.

This is easy to say after the fact, but nothing about this game looks hot. It's all either derivative or based on already tired ideas. A hero-based steampunk shooter? That's a cow has been milked.

Also, I had to keep checking to see if there was some sort of cross-promo with Borderlands. That left robot is definitely a Claptrap (and is treated very similarly in the promo materials), and even the middle dude looks like a cyber version of the classic bandit

Shame they won't make it. Not a great year for Fig games

StrixNebulosa posted:

Village Monsters is down to the last day and needs to raise about six thousand dollars, and mmmmm.... Not sure if it's gonna fund, but I finally decided to kick some money its way despite my wariness of the art style. (Hi it's me, I'm the one person on Earth who didn't like Mother 3)

I should probably have more confidence in my own game, but when I woke up this morning and saw it still needed $6k I began to accept it's probably not happening.

It sucks. I wish I could pinpoint what exactly went wrong after such a successful first couple weeks. I think the art style had a major role to play - you're not the only one to not like Mother 3, and my art is pretty amateurish. In talking with other Kickstarter folks I think I also lacked a great deal of advertising spend...some folks spent close to 10-15% of their Kickstarter asking price. I just wasn't in the position to do that.

I'm still fighting hard to make it work, but if the Kickstarter does fail I have a plan B. Not ideal, but the game won't die. I will definitely reevaluate what I've done and will likely take more time to fix up the art and other weak areas, though.

Thanks for your support, too!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WarpDogs posted:

I should probably have more confidence in my own game, but when I woke up this morning and saw it still needed $6k I began to accept it's probably not happening.

It sucks. I wish I could pinpoint what exactly went wrong after such a successful first couple weeks. I think the art style had a major role to play - you're not the only one to not like Mother 3, and my art is pretty amateurish. In talking with other Kickstarter folks I think I also lacked a great deal of advertising spend...some folks spent close to 10-15% of their Kickstarter asking price. I just wasn't in the position to do that.

I'm still fighting hard to make it work, but if the Kickstarter does fail I have a plan B. Not ideal, but the game won't die. I will definitely reevaluate what I've done and will likely take more time to fix up the art and other weak areas, though.

I think it's just that the unknown indies are dead in the water on Kickstarter these days. I don't think you did anything wrong.

I don't know if that's even how it works but have you considered contacting Fig? I am willing to bet you'd hit the goal there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

It does suck! I'm glad you're being realistic about things, but...don't give up until it's over!

Now, to pinpoint what went wrong: from my amateur point of view, as a consumer - two things. Your visuals, uh, they look like a Mother 3 fangame. That style doesn't quite gel with what you're trying to sell, in my opinion? At least a little more detail would've been good.

Second, burnout from the Undertale / quirky rpgs / Stardew Valley crowd. You're aiming for a niche that's pretty well dominated. So you got the initial sweep of interested KS people, and then that was it. More marketing could help, fig could help...

In conclusion, make this game happen! The concept is good and you're a cool person, so it's gonna be cool. Fingers crossed some rich person sweeps in to finish off the funding!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

WarpDogs posted:

Nothing wrong with your game, but Kickstarter is all about marketing. As far as I could find, your game only had a few mentions in press outlets and they were way before the campaign.

For an unknown indie like you, it's all about selling. Hoping your game just sells itself as long as you keep working on it is a fool's errand. You pretty much gotta drop everything during the campaign (and probably before too) to get your stuff out there as much as possible. Once you're done you can go back to the devlogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

WarpDogs posted:

This is easy to say after the fact, but nothing about this game looks hot. It's all either derivative or based on already tired ideas. A hero-based steampunk shooter? That's a cow has been milked.

Also, I had to keep checking to see if there was some sort of cross-promo with Borderlands. That left robot is definitely a Claptrap (and is treated very similarly in the promo materials), and even the middle dude looks like a cyber version of the classic bandit

Shame they won't make it. Not a great year for Fig games

What Gaspy Conana said in the dev thread pretty much, plus it's super important to actively search for a community that knows when your launch is and can provide that critical mass / push that campaigns need.

I'd say relaunch in a few months, but definitely try and build a community, or if that sounds intimidating, at least a bunch of people that are willing to back and evangelize a little.

SA is great and supportive but don't ignore things like reddit, or imgur - an album going viral on imgur can make or break a campaign (not saying chance of it going viral are big, but it's worth a shot).

The indie subsection of PC Gamer now has a "submit your gifs" form, give it a shot.

But definitely consider relaunching. There really is no downside to it. Best of luck.