Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

3930k owners got their loving money's worth, goddamn

Meanwhile, I bought a 3820 and lost the silicon lottery :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So the E5-1650 is supposedly multiplier unlocked and is running $100 on eBay... and there are actually new-production X79 boards for $120 (thanks China)... does Barnburner Sandybridge-E have any life left inside it for a super budget build?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 11, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

craig588 posted:

God drat, I thought Coffeelake was better. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2025?vs=1728

Stock to stock the 6850K already beats the 8700K and the 6850K overclocks more, proportionally, compared to the 8700K. I now say buy it with no hesitation.

It's probably the cache. People constantly underestimate the effect of cache size.
Also, broadwell is only one tiny step behind skylake, clock for clock. I'd take the broadwell-e for that price, no doubt.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

craig588 posted:

Ag, this is so annoying. I have a 4.7GHz 5820K and I want to eventually move to an 8 core 6900K because the 8 core 5960Xes draw 400 watts while overclocked. I've accepted it'll probably be a per core speed decrease, but I'm hoping it'll be close.

You can get a multiplier-unlocked E5-1660v3 Haswell-E 8-core for about $650 on eBay. :staredog:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 11, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Rockitcool delid kit on my 7700k got me to 60C at 4.9ghz in an ncase m1 3dmark stresstest wise. I was hitting 60C at stock speeds with a Noctua NH-L12. 4.8 would throttle at 90C then throttle to like 4.3ghz. I cannot understand how a ten minute process dropped my temperatures by 30C%.

PS: anyone wanna use this thing? I'm in Los Angeles, down to ship it if people cover shipping back and forth and toss me :10bux:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sincx posted:

Okay I got my $300 6850K+Asus X99.

Do you guys think Windows 10 will boot if I just swap in the board (coming from a Z77)?

Know what? Probably just fine.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

eames
May 9, 2009

Has any review looked into the IPC difference between the 8600K and 8700K? I'd like to see how much of a difference the extra cache and HT makes in today's games/workloads.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

eames posted:

Has any review looked into the IPC difference between the 8600K and 8700K? I'd like to see how much of a difference the extra cache and HT makes in today's games/workloads.

There's probably not going to be a lot of difference - but HT is *just* starting to be used in some games, and soon developers will have to make use of all of a chip's resources.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Kind of hilarious that the 6900K still sells at 1K-ish bux, even tho the successor is way cheaper.

Coz I want one.

:[

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

sincx posted:

Now to deal with this:

Need to install some INF. Forgot which one. Gives it all names.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kind of hilarious that the 6900K still sells at 1K-ish bux, even tho the successor is way cheaper.

Coz I want one.

:[

Look to used, the 6900K is already to the 600 range used and the 5960x to the 500 range. Basically immediately on the announcement of Skylake-X used prices dropped.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm wary of them used, because who knows how the previous owner massacred them. Maybe unfounded, but still.

--edit: two offers at ~780€ in the EU on eBay, rest is still 1K€ with some jokers selling at ~1400€.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 11, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Keeping CPUs for 5 years can't be that uncommon, right?

I'm typing this to you on a i7-940. It still does everything I need it to do -- even games.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Don Lapre posted:

Naw, the homeless shelter has plenty of public computers with 5 year old cpus.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm typing this to you on a i7-940. It still does everything I need it to do -- even games.

I7 920 still works.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I7 920 still works.

Barely. Can't wait for my 8700K. Ice lake may be better, they might release 8core coffee lakes, whatever. I want to upgrade already, I hate my fps in some of the newer games!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I doubt 8-core Coffee Lake would be worth the wait if your main use is gaming. The clocks will no doubt take a hit, along with increased power consumption. 6-core with HT is a pretty nice sweet spot for gaming, and probably will be for ages. Thinking back to the good old i7-980X now...

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

MaxxBot posted:

The 2500k/2600k is still a decent chip for gaming and that's gonna be 7 years old soon.

Yeah, I'm still on mine and the performance gains are only now getting compelling enough to make me consider an upgrade

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

So what will the retro-computing platforms of that era be? Pentium Pro? K6-3? Coppermine? Thunderbird, Athlon XP?

Apparently the K6-III is really good for mixed DOS/Windows retro computing use.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I thought eveyone would like to know that I'm waiting on the z390 boards and the 8-core whatever-lake release a year from now. That's when I'm finally replacing this thing. Carry on.

eames
May 9, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm wary of them used, because who knows how the previous owner massacred them. Maybe unfounded, but still.

--edit: two offers at ~780€ in the EU on eBay, rest is still 1K€ with some jokers selling at ~1400€.

I thought those are 8700K prices but it's a month too early for that. :downsrim:

e:

arite guys how's it going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O98qP-FsIWo

eames fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 11, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

MaxxBot posted:

The 2500k/2600k is still a decent chip for gaming and that's gonna be 7 years old soon.

My wife’s PC has a 2600k @ 4.5, 16GB 2133 Ram and paired with a RX 480 its still a nice 1080p machine. Freesync 1080p/75hz Monitor. Setup should last her a good number of years still.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Someone said a nice thing about an [Intel/NVIDIA] product! Light the Adored-Signal!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i know a lot of you like that guy but his videos are just so bad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cygni posted:

i know a lot of you like that guy but his videos are just so bad

You can only watch AdoredTV or LinusTechTips as your only source of tech news for the rest of your life. Pick one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
People are way too upset about a loving consumer electronics product release.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i actually like Linus! maybe that shows how my particular brain is broken. although most of the good/casual stuff is buried in the WAN show.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Apparently the K6-III is really good for mixed DOS/Windows retro computing use.

I had one of these back in the day, it raped the Pentium 200mhz in integer stuff, less fast in floating point. Great CPU, especially for old school Dos Quake.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

redeyes posted:

I had one of these back in the day, it raped the Pentium 200mhz in integer stuff, less fast in floating point. Great CPU, especially for old school Dos Quake.

k6-3 also launched at 400mhz so id assume it would rape a cpu half its clockspeed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cygni posted:

i actually like Linus! maybe that shows how my particular brain is broken. although most of the good/casual stuff is buried in the WAN show.

Nah, I like Linus too. But his short, clickbaity videos aren't great for actual coverage, especially now with 3s long spreadsheet slides and so on. You'd go crazy for actual analysis.

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Someone said a nice thing about an [Intel/NVIDIA] product! Light the Adored-Signal!
gotta lock down one of those sweet customized Zen+ reviewer packages

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

I cringe from second-hand embarrassment whenever I watch a Linus-hosted Linus video. Even his friend (Luke?) isn't immune to moments of stupid cringe.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I hate how this is like a perfect storm for me. My 2500k and mobo finally gave up the ghost 2 days ago after 5 years of usage and my workplace is offering a pc hardware buying program but the invoices and packing slips need to be in by Nov 1st, 2017 for reimbursement. Is there any signs that the stock situation will be stable by that point or are we looking at Q1 2018 before the situation changes?

If the stock situation doesn't improve, I will probably go with the Ryzen 1700 setup I been looking at for a while and overclock it to 1800x levels. I really wanted to go with the 8600k and overclock it like I did with my 2500k but seeing that most Canadian online vendors are having more pre-orders than stock for the foreseeable future, I don't think it's going to happen for me. Also seeing some people just get processors as "placeholders" for the 8600k and 8700k doesn't help things either.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 11, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I hate how this is like a perfect storm for me. My 2500k and mobo finally gave up the ghost 2 days ago after 5 years of usage and my workplace is offering a pc hardware buying program but the invoices and packing slips need to be in by Nov 1st, 2017 for reimbursement. Is there any signs that the stock situation will be stable by that point or are we looking at Q1 2018 before the situation changes?

If the stock situation doesn't improve, I will probably go with the Ryzen 1700 setup I been looking at for a while and oc it to 1800x levels. I really wanted to go with the 8600k and overclock it like I did with my 2500k but seeing that most Canadian online vendors are having more pre-orders than stock for the foreseeable future, I don't think it's going to happen for me. Also seeing some people just get processors as "placeholders" for the 8600k and 8700k doesn't help things either.

If they are covering it and you want intel why not get a 7800x and x299 board. It wouldn't cost much more than an 8700k setup

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
From the linus vid

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

If they are covering it and you want intel why not get a 7800x and x299 board. It wouldn't cost much more than an 8700k setup

It would go over my $1000 dollar spending limit. Also, the Ryzen 1600 meets it's performance the vast majority of the time on the benchmarks I looked at.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

It would go over my $1000 dollar spending limit. Also, the Ryzen 1600 meets it's performance the vast majority of the time on the benchmarks I looked at.

A 7800x is cheaper than an 8700k right now and motherboards are in line with the same prices

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Intel-X2...299+motherobard

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80673I77800X-Core-i7-7800X-Processor/dp/B071H1B3Z1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507747279&sr=8-2&keywords=7800x

If you can afford a 8700k set up then you can afford a 7800x set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Keeping CPUs for 5 years can't be that uncommon, right?

I've still got a 3570k I plan on putting back into commission once I can grab a cheap z77 motherboard, and I'm sure it'll be a just-fine gaming machine once I pair it with a 1080 and overclock it a bit.

And I've got another Skylake PC which I built over a year ago, and OC'ed to 4.5, I can't really imagine having to replace it within the next 5 years.

These are strictly gaming machines, though, so I guess that matters since everything these days is a console port.

I have an overclocked Ivy Bridge i5 and although every so often i think it would be neat to replace it but then i realize there is no possible way i can justify replacing it with a newer processor because the newer processor isn't going to do poo poo for me.

It's basically going to stick around until the power supply explodes at which point i can finally justify building a new computer, and no signs that's happening anytime soon (but given that replacement philosophy, I've got all my poo poo backed up :v:)