Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Welcome back! Glad to have another update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nice to see it coming back. It is a shame about all the disk 4 issues, my brother almost got through this game but it kept freezing at a particularly large story event on Disk 4.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

BioEnchanted posted:

Nice to see it coming back. It is a shame about all the disk 4 issues, my brother almost got through this game but it kept freezing at a particularly large story event on Disk 4.

Yeah. I had lots of issues with Disk 4 too, it would often freeze while loading (or take much longer than usual), but in the end I was able to get through the game. I think just a short while after I finished the game, Microsoft introduced the ability to install games onto the HD and I thought, well that would have been useful to have at the time... :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Wooo!!! Update city! Hell yeah. Welcome back everyone.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
We missed you! It's good to have you back and that was a rocking boss. The shape and colour of it makes me think of hieroglyphics that came to life. Very cool

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I remember when this LP updated :unsmith:

It was just yesterday!

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Got some more stuff ready to go again, so expect a new episode by the end of the week. Just in time to not get the thread locked woops.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Getting hyped

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, Tolten's been having a rough time lately. Especially that bomb thing.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Ok so Stormblood has consumed enough of my life for a bit, time to hit up some side content before we tackle the next story beat in order to begin the task of turning our Immortals into Hilariously Overpowered Immortals. By slamming our face into something a little too early. There are no voiced scenes in this episode, so no Cut Commentary version.

Episode 27: Family Matters - Youtube | Polsy

Thousand Years of Dreams makes it's triumphant return with this episode, so lets sit down for story time with Grandpa Kaim again!

The Ranking of Lives: Transcript

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This game is so much more fun to watch with commentary than it looks like it is to play. Though I am currently playing Eternal Poison on PS2 so maybe I'm a bad judge of gameplay. :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, when we got back to this, I certainly wasn't expecting us to get into ~Pro Strats~ like that.

How'd you make all that money anyway?

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, when we got back to this, I certainly wasn't expecting us to get into ~Pro Strats~ like that.

How'd you make all that money anyway?
Trust me, this is about as pro as my strats are going to get. I aimed to show this game off from a the perspective of the average player, and not trivialize things with super busted setups or the like, but thats going to get hard since endgame Immortals are just inherently busted if you do the optional stuff. This boss fight being done early was for a very good reason though, that we'll see next episode. Speaking of, it's already recorded and commented, so I'll try and get it up within the week.

As for the money, spending the majority of disc 3 without access to shops of any value or things to really buy most of the time will do that. It's literally just all the money drops from encounters combined with getting lost in the Ancient Temple with Sed (who has the skill Double Gold) in the party for a bit.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope you have another update ready to avoid the archive lock.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
A bunch of stuff happened the last two months, sorry. I have a bunch of episodes recorded and commented but editing the audio just hasn't been priority. I'll try to get around to it soon though.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Ok so it's been a long time and I keep saying I'll get to this....well here's the deal. I have 4 episodes recorded, commented, and I could edit the audio and upload them. However, unfortunately over the past months all 4 of us have had shifts in living arrangements and work schedules that has made it exceedingly hard to get all of us together at the same time for any length. On top of that, Ruin's usb port has also stopped reliably working for his mic, meaning when we do converse he often has to unplug and replug the USB to hear anything.

Essentially what I'm saying is, I could put out these 4 episodes I do have, but I have no idea when things will settle in a way that will allow us to actually finish this thing. Should I bother with what I already have, knowing it may not get finished, or should I put this on indefinite hold, and return to it/create a new thread to finish it when situations eventually might allow?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Do whatever feels right to you. Just know, even if you decide on an indefinite hiatus and it never ends, the LP did get at least one person to appreciate this game infinitely more than they did before the LP.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'd say plan to post one of those already done episodes a month and hope you get time to do more commentating before that backlog runs out.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Ometeotl posted:

I'd say plan to post one of those already done episodes a month and hope you get time to do more commentating before that backlog runs out.

Actually this sounds like a great idea! It also gives you a way of keeping the thread alive until your schedule potentially clears up a bit.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Ometeotl posted:

I would definitly agree with this.
If the time for more does not work out for you, at least i enjoyed what i got to view here.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I still want to see the rest of the game, so spacing things out as much as possible seems like reasonable.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Ok, I'll space the episodes out then, and hopefully situations change for the better. I'm sorry for how drawn out this all was to begin with. When I started this things were different, but I had several drastic changes on my end relatively shortly after and things sorta spiraled.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When the LP curse strikes, it strikes hard.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just think of it as the thread title referring to the thread itself. :v:

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
LP's been great so far, please keep at it to the best of your ability. You guys have made me appreciate this game more than I did when I was first playing it.

Sadly, you guys have also made me notice that the writing's honestly pretty shoddy at points, even if the characters are generally enjoyable. Jansen attempting to drug-kidnap a woman after deciding on his lonesome that she must be dissatisfied with her life being portrayed as his Actually A Good Guy moment comes to mind, along with (unless I missed something) Kaim and Seth making the pretty big leap from "Gongora was there when Lirum died" to "Gongora's also immortal and wants to take over the world". Jansen briefly panicking and trying to advice Kaim and Seth on how to avoid arrows at Grand Staff was a much better Actually A Good Guy moment, really; a subtle textual indicator that, once the chips are really down, Jansen defaults to looking out for others (ineffectually, perhaps, but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Just binged through this LP, and it's been a really enjoyable ride so far. This game has surprisingly a lot of charm, mostly through Jansen, but occasionally through the other main characters and even in the monster designs (Money and Kelolon) and the overall setting with a few NPCs (Dandy the crow will be sorely missed).

In terms of writing, it is kind of shoddy, especially with how Gongora was manipulating everyone, but everyone's characterizations helped make the plot feel more palatable, and it also helps that part of the plot is driven by the characters themselves. It's kind of a shame we don't get a Khent party member, since their design looks quite rad, and we have an empty 10th slot, unless we're counting Lirum unofficially. I say unofficially since it's rare to see a dead character get a lot of plot importance long after they're dead, so she might as well be alive (in our hearts).

If nothing else, I'd like to help keep this thread alive as much as possible, as befitting of the thread title. Definitely a 5!

• Locked thread