Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I almost did that with a game (payroll) but i learned about it during my first timed attempt and instantly reset.

For Mario's time machine (snes) low% i thought you had to just wait out the bonus timer but it turns out talking to NPCs makes it decrease too. My 6 hour run with 5.5 hours of downtime turned into an hour with 30 minutes worth of intense mashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
there's only 1 text box in Glover

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Yeah but there is also 1 Glover in Glover

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

actually there are two

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

technically you're both right

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

evil glover is real and not my friend

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

either way it's a dangerously high dose of glover

the daily recomended dose is negative ten glovers

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Still way too many

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I 100%ed lttp vanilla today for the first time in years in like <3 hours, ty rando

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I 100%ed lttp vanilla today for the first time in years in like <3 hours, ty rando

Good for 84th (or better ;)) on the leaderboards my friend, you should start running it :3

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

This was me with Super Meat Boy. One of the tutorials expects you to run over a large gap:

but I ignored the giant button prompt and used speedrunner instinct to wall jump instead. It made the rest of the game a lot harder, especially this boss:

He chases me and crumbling sand pillars block my path. You'd think there's no way to outrun him without running, yet it's possible to brush up against these pillars in a way that you pass through them faster than intended. Then, with a well-timed wall jump off the right side of the pillar, you can use that speed boost to outrun the boss. Keep in mind that the level was not designed around this strategy, so it took some insanely strict jumps (often dependent on a global timer) to avoid other obstacles. I'd heard the game was hard, so I assumed this was normal and the game expected me to use exploits and grind it out for hours to beat the first boss.

I played through most of the game this way until the world 3 boss:

It's a race and sadly it's truly impossible to beat without running, not that I didn't try. There's a few walls to boost off so I held out thinking maybe there's a chance. Apparently there's a boss skip glitch so if that's possible without running we may have a new category.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

No he was right. As much as I love Kirby, Neo Turf Masters is a mans game.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I feel like this is only a third as exciting as Big Jon playing NES Golf would be

edit: PLAYER ONE TEE SHOT

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

axeil posted:

I feel like this is only a third as exciting as Big Jon playing NES Golf would be

TAS just doesn't do it for me. I would definitely watch a speed run of that NES gold game which featured the golden bear though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Would've been better with michael douglas from falling down imo

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ZjSDJUV0U

Heavy rough.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

i knew what this was gonna be before I clicked on it and I'm so glad

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
True story: Neo Turf Masters is the only golf game to have its music featured in the BG music for GDQs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This rando sprite that is literally just the treasure chest from Dark World palette swapped is loving horrible.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aaq6hGAYvo

I forgot how great this run was

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This rando sprite that is literally just the treasure chest from Dark World palette swapped is loving horrible.

There's a bunch of sprites I've been (pretty vocally) against honestly but the only response you ever get from the people in charge is "more choice isn't a bad thing" so whatever. But yes that chest is a bunch of crap and so are some of the other ones.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It was kinda funny when he got the shield, though. Still a terrible sprite choice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TheMadMilkman posted:

It was kinda funny when he got the shield, though. Still a terrible sprite choice.
I'll admit that the shield did make me smile. But ugh. And then he bomb jumped!

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'll admit that the shield did make me smile. But ugh. And then he bomb jumped!

I played as the chest exactly once and never again specifically because I could not bomb jump even in Skull Woods, the easiest of bomb jumps.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Oyster posted:

I played as the chest exactly once and never again specifically because I could not bomb jump even in Skull Woods, the easiest of bomb jumps.

This is why you learn the setups with shadows and sword or shield.

People aren't forced to play as any custom sprites so I don't really understand what's there to be against them. Although admittedly refusing to have fun is always a noble goal in fast videogames.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What does the chest look like?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

tiistai posted:

This is why you learn the setups with shadows and sword or shield.

People aren't forced to play as any custom sprites so I don't really understand what's there to be against them. Although admittedly refusing to have fun is always a noble goal in fast videogames.

Shadows would be good, yeah. I learned ice palace bomb jump by number of pixels between sword and bomb, that works regardless of sprite, but lining up the sprite to the edge of the hole without falling in is what kept getting me.

FirstAidKite posted:

What does the chest look like?

It's Gary's lunchbox (the purple chest in dark world smith's house) that changes color when different mails are gotten. The sword jumps out in front of it when swung, it looks pretty funny, but really hard to line anything up with.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i tried running this for a little bit but getting quick platform patterns on the windmill stage is soul crushingly difficult

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I need more lttp rando...anyone got any recommendations? I don't have any money right now

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'll get you bro, you know I'm good for it...I get paid next week, promise

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Please

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

beep by grandpa posted:

I need more lttp rando...anyone got any recommendations? I don't have any money right now

In case anyone else is wondering: http://speedgaming.org/schedule/

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

beep by grandpa posted:

xyrak vs FeralPigMan is a real good race.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ya know like, can you really call a nearly 700 page thread new

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

ya know like, can you really call a nearly 700 page thread new

The thread is new every time a reply is added

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

thanks

HOLY gently caress WHAT A RACE :eyepop:

Those commentators were goin nuts, it was wild

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

beep by grandpa posted:

thanks

HOLY gently caress WHAT A RACE :eyepop:

Those commentators were goin nuts, it was wild

Yeah, one of the best races I've seen so far this tournament. Today's AmazingAmpharos vs. ChristosOwen was okay.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

holy fuckin poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Holy poo poo, yeah. This is a must watch IMO.

• Locked thread