Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Newegg had them in stock for quite a while so I got off my duff and finally ordered one.

Thinking of switching my 2500k over to nas/vm server duties (light loads, plex and stuff like Fog)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Don Lapre posted:

Yes. Stock is slowly recovering.

Recovering means it was available at some point.

eames
May 9, 2009

silicon lottery published their 8700K binning results:

4.9 GHz / 1.387V Vcore 100%
5.0 GHz / 1.40V Vcore 81%
5.1 GHz / 1.412V Vcore 58%
5.2 GHz / 1.425V Vcore 30%
5.3 GHz / 1.437V Vcore 6%

(-2 AVX offset for all of them)
quite impressive imo, though their voltages are a bit on the high side.
I can't find what they're using to evaluate stability but I'm guessing something like Prime95 1344K without AVX.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If they are doing -2 avx they probably are doing prime95.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Well I have a case and a power supply - I need to find a motherboard. Preferably one that is compatible with the newest 8600k i5.

- mATX
- at least 1x M.2 hard drive slots

Reliability of the brand/board is most important followed by price and performance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Well I have a case and a power supply - I need to find a motherboard. Preferably one that is compatible with the newest 8600k i5.

- mATX
- at least 1x M.2 hard drive slots

Reliability of the brand/board is most important followed by price and performance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I just bought the ASRock z370m Pro4: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370M%20Pro4/

The other main option is the Asus strix z370g which is a lot pricier and has a bunch of stuff I don’t need like wifi etc.

The ASRock hasn’t arrived yet but I have used their boards at work quite a bit and they are always great. A solid brand.

mewse
May 2, 2006

priznat posted:

I just bought the ASRock z370m Pro4: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370M%20Pro4/

The other main option is the Asus strix z370g which is a lot pricier and has a bunch of stuff I don’t need like wifi etc.

The ASRock hasn’t arrived yet but I have used their boards at work quite a bit and they are always great. A solid brand.

I built using the full atx version of this and it's good

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I had never considered the ASRock brand before but that looks like a really solid mobo for $150 on Amazon. The demand seems pretty high for this motherboard.

My current system has a Gigabyte mobo with a Core i7 920 from a couple years ago. I was looking at Gigabyte and the more recent reviews seem to be more mixed.

This “App Shop” hokey garbage is in no way required, right?
https://www.asrock.com/feature/appshop/index.html

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 12, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I used to only get Asus motherboards and pretend support didn't exist. I've seen a bunch of reports of people getting extremely good support from Asrock and it leans me heavily towards them for my next build. That's in addition to their build quality being up there with the best from any other brand. The only real reason I was sticking with Asus was because I already knew how their bioses were setup and knowing their weird names for things was worth spending the extra 20-30 dollars rather than spending time learning something new.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I had never considered the ASRock brand before but that looks like a really solid mobo for $150 on Amazon. The demand seems pretty high for this motherboard.

My current system has a Gigabyte mobo with a Core i7 920 from a couple years ago. I was looking at Gigabyte and the more recent reviews seem to be more mixed.

This “App Shop” hokey garbage is in no way required, right?
https://www.asrock.com/feature/appshop/index.html

The reviews I've seen for the extreme4 has it as the best under $200. I assume the pro4 is the same quality as it is just the micro atx version. I have the extreme4 ordered and should be delivered by tommorow.

I've used asrock in the past and I've never had a problem with them to date for what it's worth.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

The reviews I've seen for the extreme4 has it as the best under $200. I assume the pro4 is the same quality as it is just the micro atx version. I have the extreme4 ordered and should be delivered by tommorow.

I've used asrock in the past and I've never had a problem with them to date for what it's worth.

The Pro4 is a step down in features and such from the Extreme4, also there is a full ATX version of the Pro4, it's priced about $35 less than the Extreme4.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s interesting there is a mini-ITX version of the Extreme but no mATX. ASRock just showing off :haw:

E: oops I was thinking of the Fatal1ty series.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

For what it’s worth, I have an ASRock quad core ITX atom board and they overnighted me an RMA no questions asked.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I only bought my Asus ITX mobo for my 4790K only because they are the only one to put the CPU socket well away from the PCIE slot, or I would gone Asrock.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I went ahead and ordered that board on Amazon. Now just gotta wait...

https://youtu.be/uMyCa35_mOg

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Just got a NowInStock.net alert that Amazon had the i5-8600k for $258. Not sure why it was so cheap, but I guess I'll see if it ships.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's the MSRP.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Micro center lowered their prices from the insanely inflated prices to Newegg level inflated prices but at least they have the combo deal. They also have tax.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Has anyone here delidded their kaby or coffee lake? Any kits floating around I could rent for an 8600K?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

willroc7 posted:

Has anyone here delidded their kaby or coffee lake? Any kits floating around I could rent for an 8600K?

There are 3d printed ones on eBay for $12 that just require a vice.

Edit the one I used

https://m.ebay.com/itm/FREE-S-H-CPU...wYAAOSwKoRZYBb3

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Edit the one I used

What were your results like?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dropped like 20c. Running 5.2ghz now at 1.38v on a custom loop.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Edit the one I used

Are there cad files so you can 3d print one yourself?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

lDDQD posted:

Yea just search for 3d print delid tool. Make sure you print 100% infill.

mewse
May 2, 2006

lDDQD posted:

Pretty sure it's this one, the shape of the hole in the one part matches. Apparently it's strong enough at 40% infill and ebay sellers print them at 60%

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/intel-kaby-lake-delid-tool

e: also if anyone in Canada would like one printed, let me know

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Delid successful! Wasn't that bad overall and I can see the next one being super easy.

Running 5ghz at 1.3v, could push more out of it but I like how cool everything runs. 67c CPU and 41c GPU, 100% load running Realbench for 2 hours. Delidding dropped temps from a high of 84c on CPU so rather significant.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Anyone know where to get a delid kit in Europe? Was backordered at caseking for 3 weeks before I decided to cancel

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Dropped like 20c. Running 5.2ghz now at 1.38v on a custom loop.

How did you re-lid?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

willroc7 posted:

How did you re-lid?

Used a small clamp and some permatex black silicon. I flipped it over in the 3d printed delid tool to support it so the clamp wouldn't touch the capacitors on the bottom and just tightened it enough to push it closed, not enough to bend the pcb. A small dab on all 4 corners

You dont need high temp, this stuff is fine up to 450F/232c

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Debating delidding my i7 3770k. Temps are going up and it has been almost 6 years so I am going to have to reseat it anyway.

Does anyone have decent resources on doing it? I have access to a lot of tools. So I don't think I need to buy a kit, but I also am not entirely sure what I need to do to safely remove it. Or perhaps more importantly, what I should avoid doing.

I'll probably record video of it happening, and if I break it I'll post it for the amusement of the thread.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 15, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The way I do it which has never failed for me is fitting the CPU into a wood block and clamping it into a vice with a metal piece to push the IHS. The wood evens out the pressure on the PCB and the metal bit provides focused pressure to move the IHS and break the glue. For people without tools the 10 dollar 3d printed options are very compelling, but if you already have tools it's still saving 10 dollars.

I recorded a de-IHS video once so show how simple it is and it's really hard to hold a camera and also hold the CPU in a vice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It really is easy to do with a vice. Maybe the newer CPUs have thin-rear end substrates that break like a cracker, but I delidded a 3770K with nothing but a vice. Not even a wooden block, as is sensible as mentioned above; I simply clamped it offset (one side touching the substrate, one side touching the side of the IHS) in the vice and just turned the handle until the lid popped off.

vv I know they're much thinner, but I was replying to the guy who wants to delid a 3770K, so I figured I'd throw my experience in the ring, since it might be of interest to him

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 15, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

It really is easy to do with a vice. Maybe the newer CPUs have thin-rear end substrates that break like a cracker, but I delidded a 3770K with nothing but a vice. Not even a wooden block, as is sensible as mentioned above; I simply clamped it offset (one side touching the substrate, one side touching the side of the IHS) in the vice and just turned the handle until the lid popped off.

The new pcbs are WAY thinner than a 3770k. Its worth spending $12 for a tool

Here is new vs old

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it possible to use the tool with a g clamp instead of a vice? Probably not. I should see a buddy with a vice.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
Hello thread. I decided to upgrade (buying used) from a 2500k to a 4790k because for some reason changing graphics cards half a year ago made me unable to overclock my 2500k anymore. No idea why, but good god is this thing old either way. I'm getting some fancy 16gb of 2400mhz ram to go with it, anyone knows how important speed is on Devils Canyon? I have another 8gb laying around from my 2500k but that's rated for 1600mhz so I'm thinking putting it in would just lower over all performance anyway since I'm not using a lot of RAM at any given point.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
DDR3 you want to do 1600 8-8-8. Any higher is mostly wasted outside of the price/performance curve.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ddr3 prices are so messed up that the 2400 isn’t really more expensive, so just get it. Also it makes plenty of difference in CPU limited games, especially if you overclock your CPU.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it possible to use the tool with a g clamp instead of a vice? Probably not. I should see a buddy with a vice.

That's what I used cause I was too lazy to run down to the shop at work to use the vice. Worked great.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cinara posted:

That's what I used cause I was too lazy to run down to the shop at work to use the vice. Worked great.

Oh gently caress yes. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tempted to delid my 8700k now. Any downsides to running it with the lid and doing it later (setting the thermal compound more etc)? Other than having to take it apart and reapply HSF paste.