Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Mr. Lobe posted:

Vibroblades also exist, but use energy cells

Yeah, they DRAIN batteries too. I had one in my offhand but it was too annoying to keep charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mr. Lobe posted:

Nah, that's vibroknives. Vibroblades use a 5 bit, vibroknives use a 4 bit. But I guess if you don't have tinkering skills you wouldn't see either

I've been using Tinkering pretty extensively for some time, I just didn't know vibroblades were long blades. Good to know!

e: Anyway, the Vibrokhopesh is significantly better in any case - a moddable, infinite use, no-batteries vibroweapon with a decent damage die? Yes loving please.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 19, 2017

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Is there a way to see a Beguiled creature's stats and give them new skills after they've leveled up?
I thought I've seen people talking about that and I might've just imagined it because it's a question that's bugged me since I've started playing and I keep getting *thiiis * close to asking it on here but usually just delete my post.

Also was going to ask about the bug of targeting a Shrine after looking at it but I guess that's been taken care of? Which is great, my lvl 7 Nomad can resume proceeding to their ultimate confusing death.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Naganted posted:

Is there a way to see a Beguiled creature's stats and give them new skills after they've leveled up?
I thought I've seen people talking about that and I might've just imagined it because it's a question that's bugged me since I've started playing and I keep getting *thiiis * close to asking it on here but usually just delete my post.

Also was going to ask about the bug of targeting a Shrine after looking at it but I guess that's been taken care of? Which is great, my lvl 7 Nomad can resume proceeding to their ultimate confusing death.

The psychic power Domination is needed to take full advantage of ally level ups.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Awesome, thanks!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Mamon was loved by the wardens for some reason in my last run, so when I returned to kyakukya after killing him Indrix aggroed me and immediately charged and dismembered my arm off. I had to phase through the chief's hut and circle back and slink into town again to pick up the leftovers i dropped when i got disarmed, but on the plus side i got the "you are what you eat" achievement a few minutes later

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Venuz Patrol posted:

Mamon was loved by the wardens for some reason in my last run, so when I returned to kyakukya after killing him Indrix aggroed me and immediately charged and dismembered my arm off. I had to phase through the chief's hut and circle back and slink into town again to pick up the leftovers i dropped when i got disarmed, but on the plus side i got the "you are what you eat" achievement a few minutes later

How can this game be so good?

This is another anecdote that should be on the box...

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I gifted this to a friend who doesn't really do roguelikes and he still really likes it, so good job guys! Now quit having standards and just push out a half-baked cooking patch so I can live out my mutant chef ronin fantasies.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Shed those pounds, guaranteed, with Irinius Treeclimber's new cookbook -- over 100 delicious and healthy recipes for cooking up your own severed limbs.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
When we told you to serve yourself before you serve others, this isn't quite what we had in mind.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'll petition one more time for a mutant chef background, because i want to start with a backpack full of weird bits of crap and a head full of knowledge on how to use a knife and how to easily stomach my own cooking while warding off toxins and negative effects from doing as such

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am to seek the coveted title of Carbide Chef

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I want to go on an epic saga high and low across Qud, piecing together and then preparing the magnum opus of a chef sultan

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There should be an achievement for cooking up that unquestioned pinnacle of the culinary arts, the legendary taco suprema.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

megane posted:

There should be an achievement for cooking up that unquestioned pinnacle of the culinary arts, the legendary taco suprema.

The Return of Civilization.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am to seek the coveted title of Carbide Chef

:five:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

megane posted:

as long as it requires a chrome pyramid corpse for some reason

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You have to forge The Ur-grater out of the steel from a chrome pyramid's eye, for nothing else could grate the sacred mozzarella of Ynxmir.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

megane posted:

You have to forge The Ur-grater out of the steel from a chrome pyramid's eye, for nothing else could grate the sacred mozzarella of Ynxmir.
Mozzarella on tacos? Civilization truly has fallen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, did you come up with Carbide Chef on your own so two completely seperate Qud fandoms I know of just do this at the same time?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 20, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just thought of it as I made the post, yeah.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

A cloneling got into the Six-Day Stilt's Cathedral and now the Echelstadts and pilgrims are multiplying out of control, send help

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dachshundofdoom posted:

A cloneling got into the Six-Day Stilt's Cathedral and now the Echelstadts and pilgrims are multiplying out of control, send help

related: snailmothers can spawn as friendly mechanimist converts. they won't attack anyone, but they still lay eggs, and their offspring are... considerably less civilized. the entire camp was a flaming wreck after a hundred rounds or so, and i accidentally winged one of the guard wardens when i tried to lay down some suppressing fire to help out, so i probably won't be back to the stilt on my current character

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Can you share water with all those individual Echelstadts for Mechanimist rep and juicy secrets?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Can you share water with all those individual Echelstadts for Mechanimist rep and juicy secrets?

Probably, but Mechanimist rep is the easiest in the game to get anyways.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah but they also give some pretty dope secrets.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
qud should have a cooking crafting system

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah but they also give some pretty dope secrets.

Yep, I'll get right on that...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

qud should have a cooking crafting system

This is in the works and I am so excited

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Angry Diplomat posted:

Nope, seems clonelings don't carry over faction unique status to their creations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

What does using a two handed weapon actually get me in terms of an advantage?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They hit harder.

plus you can get THE HUGEST HANDS as a bionic mod and wield them one handed.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I've been branching out and trying the mutations I've never touched before. The combination of electrical generation (which I'd never tried) and multiple legs wound up being one of my longest surviving characters. I also went with psychometry, so I could easily tinker all the grenades and ammo I needed to kill stuff while waiting for my charges to build back up. Fun build overall. Went into short blades hoping to eventually find some vibroblades, but no dice. Wound up dying by being careless on a deep underground floor with 3 snailmothers and getting cornered and overwhelmed by ickslugs (so many ickslugs). Died to my own MK III HE grenade, intentionally just trying to take as many slugs with me with my last few HP

Also I seem to only ever find vibroweapons once I've already specialized into axes or cudgels :bahgawd:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
electrical generation is insanely underrated for early game. it's a guaranteed hit, so high dodge low hp enemies like chameleons and jilted lovers can be dealt with safely, and the branching aoe lets you handle early swarms like mirthworms and snapjaw packs more easily. the damage drops off as you reach the mid-game unless you drop way more mutation points on it than is at all advisable, but it can cover the weaknesses of a lot of builds while they get their primary skills and equipment together

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

electrical generation is insanely underrated for early game. it's a guaranteed hit, so high dodge low hp enemies like chameleons and jilted lovers can be dealt with safely, and the branching aoe lets you handle early swarms like mirthworms and snapjaw packs more easily. the damage drops off as you reach the mid-game unless you drop way more mutation points on it than is at all advisable, but it can cover the weaknesses of a lot of builds while they get their primary skills and equipment together

Probably because freezing hands way overshadows it. You don't have to get in melee range and it freezes what it doesn't kill so you're still using it it pretty much everywhere.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Plus most of those upsides aren't actually that important. Early game swarmers aren't that dangerous and you shouldn't be positioning yourself such that you get surrounded in the first place. What is dangerous is getting in melee range of single tanky + high DPS enemies instead of kiting or disabling them, and electrical generation encourages you to put yourself in that bad situation and does little to get you out of it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

dis astranagant posted:

Probably because freezing hands way overshadows it. You don't have to get in melee range and it freezes what it doesn't kill so you're still using it it pretty much everywhere.

I feel like freezing hands doesn't freeze as much as it used to. Did they tone that down along with the damage?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I definitely felt the diminishing returns from maxing out electrical generation. I thought the faster recharge time would be more worthwhile, but when you're waiting on more and more stacks that all do the same 1d4 damage, it ends up balancing out so the skill really peaks early on. And for tougher dudes I would freeze them, go in long enough to unload my charges, get to a safe distance with my movespeed, and then pick them off with guns/grenades, which was working. Cragmensch were all going down to one discharge though, since they don't have large health pools.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

So that was a real lovely way to end a run :(

Is there anything to be done about instakill vines doubled up on the other end of stairs, or do I just have to accept it as the nature of the beast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You could attack downwards at the stairs as a precautionary measure I guess, I always forget that that is possible now though.