Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

well this is a real letdown :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It's a troll account :ssh:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

You should read the whole article, it's slightly more nuanced than "no more movies ever"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

DC Murderverse posted:

You should read the whole article, it's slightly more nuanced than "no more movies ever"

I'm tired of being given the runaround with every press release.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah, sounds about right. I thought they'd at least chug it along until the Dwayne Johnson one though.

Neo Rasa posted:

At least they got a few more movies than Universal's DARK UNIVERSE.

You know before they really started going in with the universe thing, it seemed like a good enough way to set their movies apart from Marvel would have been to keep doing stuff like the Nolan trilogy. Like just have strong director's do whatever with each character compared to Marvel having directors do the exact same thing with each movie.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I didn't know people still get Rickroll'd in 2017 like these guys.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

viral spiral posted:

I didn't know people still get Rickroll'd in 2017 like these guys.

Y'all are no fun, I miss when someone posted Man of Steel spoilers in the form of a Superman: The Musical clip and people rolled with it for like three pages.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neo Rasa posted:

Y'all are no fun, I miss when someone posted Man of Steel spoilers in the form of a Superman: The Musical clip and people rolled with it for like three pages.

I tried!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

:hfive:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This new happier Superman is great. I really feel like he's never going to let me down.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Glad Snyder won't have anything to do with a solo Flash film. He'd probably end up just running around and hurting people.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LesterGroans posted:

Glad Snyder won't have anything to do with a solo Flash film. He'd probably end up just running around and hurting people.

Counterpoint: You wouldn't get this from any other guy:

https://twitter.com/nellucnhoj/status/931278859936370688

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Zack Snyder's Aquaman is evicted from his salmon farm after losing his hand in a horrific accident in the new chuminizer. Unable to support himself in an economy becoming more and more tech oriented he moves back in with his Atlantean mother just in time for a long-delayed uprising of the Mer-Proletarians.

e:

DC Murderverse posted:

Ridiculous, Uncaville Valley is clearly the better pun.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DC Murderverse posted:

It's still really annoying that we didn't get a moustached leather daddy Superman.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LesterGroans posted:

It's still really annoying that we didn't get a moustached leather daddy Superman.

my god he is so handsome.

just like, a gorgeous man.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

🎶 there goes my hero 🎶

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh what could have been:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

Oh what could have been:

With all the JL leaks, I'm half expecting for one to pop up saying that mullet and black suit Superman were at some point in the film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

With all the JL leaks, I'm half expecting for one to pop up saying that mullet and black suit Superman were at some point in the film.

Not the mullet, but the black suit was:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJI-eYSgRR8/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's the regular suit with a black and white filter over it lmao

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What about it is "formidable", though? He's like the least subtle person to ever live. The only way his films could be thought of as formidable is if you insist on them being coherent. I mean The Holy Mountain literally ends with him telling you "hey it's just a movie don't worry about what it means."

You seem to be making some assumptions here. 1. That subtlety is important. 2. That any coherence to be found in a Jodorowsky film would have to be imposed in an act of eisegesis. 3. That the end of The Holy Mountain subverts any meaning that the film establishes prior through its metatextual reveal. I deny all three of these. To me, The Holy Mountain reads as a satire and critique of New Age Guruism, and the reveal at the end supports this critique, as the character played by Jodorowsky reveals to his marks that they have been conned by a director.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guy A. Person posted:

So people literally cannot say that Mulholland Drive is a movie that makes sense without it being a personal insult to you?

Do you see how this completely shuts down and kind of discussion?

I didn't say that, dude. I said I didn't like it. I can see why some people might. I was calling a certain subset of folks who call people like ME out (who dislike it) as unsophisticated film viewers. Not sure why that's complicated and I could just as easily reverse the argument you're making against me but I'm beginning to poo poo up an already lovely thread so I'll let it drop.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned before but apparently WW’s ending was supposed to be a lot darker and tie in to the ending of BvS. However, after the reception of BvS the ending was changed.

The final scene was a shot of Diana packing away her armour in a heavy safe while she gave a voice over that expressed her disenchantment with the world of man and ended with the line “you do not deserve me”.

Edit - It also seems that the rumors of the massive JL reshoots turned out to be true. I remember there was a period where everyone was downplaying the length of time needed saying it was due to scheduling conflicts.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 21, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well there clearly were scheduling conflicts. A bunch of scenes with Diana are obviously body double, Momoa seemed green screened in half the time.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yes, I was just saying that my initial impression from the reports was that the length of time for reshoots was due to scheduling conflicts. It seems now that the scheduling conflicts were “solved” with green screens and that the length of time was due to how extensive the reshoots were.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CountFosco posted:

You seem to be making some assumptions here. 1. That subtlety is important. 2. That any coherence to be found in a Jodorowsky film would have to be imposed in an act of eisegesis. 3. That the end of The Holy Mountain subverts any meaning that the film establishes prior through its metatextual reveal. I deny all three of these. To me, The Holy Mountain reads as a satire and critique of New Age Guruism, and the reveal at the end supports this critique, as the character played by Jodorowsky reveals to his marks that they have been conned by a director.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with having a read of the film, and you're right that the reveal at the end of the film doesn't serve as a subversion of meaning -- it's meaningful unto itself. But The Holy Mountain can still be enjoyed as, essentially, a series of installations and vignettes. It's very different from, say, a Pasolini film, where if you aren't engaging with the social critique and cultural subtext then it's going to be very difficult to process the cruelty displayed onscreen. That's more what I think of when I think about a "formidable" film.

Basically, I don't think you have to work that hard to enjoy Jodorowsky.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 21, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

teagone posted:

Oh what could have been:

:allears: I really like how they had to keep in the spit curl and give him a really pronounced widow's peak. Just has him look like he's going bald slowly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rumor has it that WB is dropping Whedon from Batgirl to a collective sigh from the internet. Hopefully it's true. I can only imagine how many people face plant into Barbara's cleavage in his version.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
We may have a Mar-vell.

lomzus posted:

Jude Law in Captain Marvel

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/933421724598599680

It says this in the article

Law will be playing Doctor Walter Lawson, a.k.a. Mar-Vell, who becomes a mentor of sorts to Danvers as she tries to figure out her new powers.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jimbot posted:

Rumor has it that WB is dropping Whedon from Batgirl to a collective sigh from the internet. Hopefully it's true. I can only imagine how many people face plant into Barbara's cleavage in his version.

lol at the time stamps

He'd probably have WW and BG do cleavage face plants into each other.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bruce Timm rewrites the scene to add Harley Quinn watching them.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's like all these Comic Book Guys are big old perverts! PERVERTS!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

We may have a Mar-vell.

Yessss, jlaw owns

Arent there women writers that couls be hired for batgirl?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jiro posted:

:allears: I really like how they had to keep in the spit curl and give him a really pronounced widow's peak. Just has him look like he's going bald slowly.

Alternatively it looks like he has a pompadour and is about to try out for a live action JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

got any sevens posted:

Yessss, jlaw owns

Arent there women writers that couls be hired for batgirl?

i know it's a cliche at this point but please give me Lexi Alexander's Batgirl

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DC Murderverse posted:

i know it's a cliche at this point but please give me Lexi Alexander's Batgirl

She'd be better for Batwoman

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

She'd be better for Batwoman

I think she'd be even better for Cassandra Cain Batgirl

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The main issue is that what woman is going to go around in her 40s calling herself Girl?

Also Cassandra is Asian, so let's not white wash her please though I admit it wouldn't be the worst thing DC did to the poor character

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh, there's nothing wrong with having a read of the film, and you're right that the reveal at the end of the film doesn't serve as a subversion of meaning -- it's meaningful unto itself. But The Holy Mountain can still be enjoyed as, essentially, a series of installations and vignettes. It's very different from, say, a Pasolini film, where if you aren't engaging with the social critique and cultural subtext then it's going to be very difficult to process the cruelty displayed onscreen. That's more what I think of when I think about a "formidable" film.

Basically, I don't think you have to work that hard to enjoy Jodorowsky.

What a crime, on Jodorowsky's part! I sentence you to twelve watches of Warhol's Empire, no fast forwarding. Feel the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd like to see someone come up with a treatment for Elric. The timing seems right; Dr. Strange meets Game of Thrones meets Conan. Could make for a cool Netflix or HBO series. I'd love to see an animated film in the style of P. Craig Russell.

• Locked thread