Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jefferson isn't even in the picture until 2012, Rachel's last year at Blackwell. In LiS Episode 4 it's made clear that Chloe barely knows anything about Jefferson. Despite everything including that "leaked" Ep3 info I'm still gonna predict that not much is going to come out of Eliot. Isn't that too easy? Too obvious?

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The one thing that sticks out for me with Eliot is that he's supposedly the closest and oldest friend Chloe has outside of Max and I kinda wish the game put some more emphasis on that than him just being a creeper. At least Max and Warren had some moments where I could go "Yeah, these two are buddies." With Eliot, he seems like a complete outsider when it doesn't feel like he should be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Jefferson isn't even in the picture until 2012, Rachel's last year at Blackwell. In LiS Episode 4 it's made clear that Chloe barely knows anything about Jefferson. Despite everything including that "leaked" Ep3 info I'm still gonna predict that not much is going to come out of Eliot. Isn't that too easy? Too obvious?

I'm pretty sure Chloe never even met Jefferson until LiS episode 4. As for Eliot, I'm sure they could weave him into the main plot somehow like having it turn out he's involved with Damon in some way. Chloe happens to spot them and there's your lead up to the teaser scene where Chloe is panicking and desperately trying to get her truck started.

PunkBoy posted:

The one thing that sticks out for me with Eliot is that he's supposedly the closest and oldest friend Chloe has outside of Max and I kinda wish the game put some more emphasis on that than him just being a creeper. At least Max and Warren had some moments where I could go "Yeah, these two are buddies." With Eliot, he seems like a complete outsider when it doesn't feel like he should be.

Yeah, that is a little weird. Outside of his crush the first game gave us plenty of evidence that Warren and Max were genuinely friends while aside from one picture at the very beginning of the game Eliot just seems to come off as a clingy stalker and not much else.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 20, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

If BtS was really sticking to established LiS canon, the game should be 5 minutes long. That's the longest Chloe can go without dying in a stupid way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Canemacar posted:

If BtS was really sticking to established LiS canon, the game should be 5 minutes long. That's the longest Chloe can go without dying in a stupid way.

Nah, Chloe doesn't really start becoming a death magnet until after Max saves her in the bathroom. Before that the universe seemed to prefer punishing her for the crime of being Chloe Price through emotional pain instead.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If Eliot ends up being some major character its going to be super disappointing because he is barely present in the first 2 episodes and he literally barely matters outside of establishing that Chloe fucks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The only way I think Eliot is going to factor into Ep3 at all is finally providing Chloe some cathartic moment to say "I'm hella gay" for the first time in this series.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The only way I think Eliot is going to factor into Ep3 at all is finally providing Chloe some cathartic moment to say "I'm hella gay" for the first time in this series.

It's just headcanon, but I think it was when Rachel did that spin and wink in the drama classroom that Chloe first realized it. Her expression was priceless (no pun intended).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

If Eliot ends up being some major character its going to be super disappointing because he is barely present in the first 2 episodes and he literally barely matters outside of establishing that Chloe fucks.

I was mostly just basing that off the article regarding Ep 3 and the stuff we learn about him in Ep 2 (which is all completely optional). Otherwise I agree he's a completely incidental character that you can ignore entirely in the first two episodes, it's probably more likely that any incident involving him will be brief at most (like maybe a Backtalk Challenge or something).

Sera and Damon haven't appeared much either (the former hasn't even spoken yet) but they both still have a major presence in the game regardless and are kind of a crucial part of the main plot beyond establishing Chloe and Rachel's relationship. Eliot is just kinda...there right now (though like I said, you could probably tie him to Damon like was the case with Drew if you really wanted to shove him in there).

Off the subject, but if you think about it the Backtalk sequences in this game are basically the Life is Strange equivalent of boss fights (the original had a few things like that as well such as the conversations with Frank and later with Jefferson in the Dark Room) so I'm still hoping we get one last verbal clash at the end leading up to the final choice. Maybe have it be a bit more dynamic in nature as well like Chloe and her opponent dodging and weaving through a raging fire while hurling insults (and possibly physical blows depending on who said opponent is) at each other.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 21, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the achievement list for Episode 3 has been leaked (scroll to the bottom).

Not much that interesting aside from the fact that somebody's going to wind up in the hospital, we apparently draw graffiti using spit at one point (not sure what else that one could mean anyway) and one is called "Messed Up", which could mean anything.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 24, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Huh, so maybe that Nov 30th release date is accurate

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I imagine that's Drew or Mikey, depending on what you did

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Huh, so maybe that Nov 30th release date is accurate

Which if true means we should be getting a trailer pretty soon (not sure how much that'll tell us though, if I recall correctly most of the trailer for LiS Episode 5 consisted of scenes from previous episodes).

On a side note, while the "greater beauty" the raven was referring to could be interpreted as Max it's also possible to interpret it as referring to Chloe herself, she is the one who ultimately ends up saving herself (and the entire town depending on your final choice) at the end after all.

Also, if Chloe is the physical representation of a tornado then Rachel is clearly the same for fire (wild, unpredictable and, as the raven put it, some become so blinded by its beauty that they don't recognize the danger until it's too late). While obviously their relationship has to remain stable for at least another 2 years I wonder if we'll at least be getting some payoff from this in the finale?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 25, 2017

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Wow.

I just replayed Episode Two and that scene in the principal's office.

Just that scene.

I am discovering new frontiers of absolute fury at what happens during the meeting between Wells and Chloe and Rachel's folks. Not only does he threaten to take Rachel off the play, he proposes to give her part to Victoria. So he lets a plagiarist off the hook completely and wants to give her a nice reward while coming down like a ton of bricks on Rachel for the high crime of skipping one class and Chloe who is to be punished in the plagiarist's place. Jesus Christ, was he trying to make Chloe unleash the mother-in -law of all back-talks on him?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I know I was fully prepared to let Rachel take the rap for everything (I shared the point Joyce makes that at the end of the day, she'll be fine) but no way I was letting the Victoria thing stand. Well played, game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wells (and David to an extent) seem to come off as even bigger assholes in this game than they were in the original. The former (as Joyce rightly points out during the meeting) seems to just be using Chloe as a convenient scapegoat and the latter had that whole "vacation from having a father figure" crack in the last episode (which Chloe strangely never brings up during the conversation in the parking lot).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing I hope that they do going forward (with LiS2 or more prequel stuff or whatever) is hire more native English speakers to clean up the dialogue. There is an awful lot of dialogue in both games that is just barely "off" enough to be frustrating. Although looking it up apparently Deck Nine is an American company, so what's their excuse?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

One thing I hope that they do going forward (with LiS2 or more prequel stuff or whatever) is hire more native English speakers to clean up the dialogue. There is an awful lot of dialogue in both games that is just barely "off" enough to be frustrating. Although looking it up apparently Deck Nine is an American company, so what's their excuse?

To be fair, the dialogue in Before the Storm does at least feel slightly more natural, probably because it was scripted by American writers (including Ashly Burch herself). But yeah, there are still some awkward sounding lines here and there. The memes at least seem to be kept to a minimum this time (aside from the occasional "hella", but that's just there for the sake of continuity).

The November 30th release date for Episode 3 isn't looking likely now seeing as we haven't gotten a trailer and there's been no official confirmation that I can find. The achievement list for the game is out though so I'd imagine it won't be too much longer regardless (early to mid-December at the latest).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 28, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I unironically 100% love Life is Strange's dialogue and would never ever want them to turn down the melodrama or make it more "realistic."

In conclusion, chillax sista.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Exactly, being melodramatic (and really goofy at the same time) and gay as hell (as well as being an episodic salute to human misery) is honestly part of this series' charm and I hope all those elements remain in the games to come.

I wouldn't mind a male protagonist in LiS 2 as a change of pace though (or if you want to really go outside the box, drop the human element entirely and basically give us Night in the Woods with superpowers).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 27, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Larryb posted:

Wells (and David to an extent) seem to come off as even bigger assholes in this game than they were in the original. The former (as Joyce rightly points out during the meeting) seems to just be using Chloe as a convenient scapegoat and the latter had that whole "vacation from having a father figure" crack in the last episode (which Chloe strangely never brings up during the conversation in the parking lot).

Unlike David, I still think Wells is a corrupt rear end in a top hat. He was only nice to Max in that one potential future because she won the contest, bringing recognition to Blackwell.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Unlike David, I still think Wells is a corrupt rear end in a top hat. He was only nice to Max in that one potential future because she won the contest, bringing recognition to Blackwell.

He did seem somewhat remorseful about Jefferson at the very least. I think the only truly irredeemable people in LiS so far are Sean Prescott and Mark Jefferson (though as far as BtS goes the jury's still out on Damon and Sera).

Though there aren't many who are 100% good either aside from Kate and maybe William and Samuel. Steph is pretty cool as well and I kind of hope we see her again one day if we ever return to Arcadia Bay (provided she doesn't wind up dying horribly and/or having some kind of terrible secret in BtS Episode 3 that is).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 28, 2017

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

exquisite tea posted:

I unironically 100% love Life is Strange's dialogue and would never ever want them to turn down the melodrama or make it more "realistic."

In conclusion, chillax sista.

My complaint isn't "no one would ever actually say that!!" But more that the lines are read sounding like someone was four words of a sentence to record at a time with no other actors around for context and they glued them all together.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
This game reaffirmed to be that hella is in fact a cool word.

Can't wait for LiS2 where they can't stop saying Uber

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

My complaint isn't "no one would ever actually say that!!" But more that the lines are read sounding like someone was four words of a sentence to record at a time with no other actors around for context and they glued them all together.

I felt like this was a product of the dialogue adjusting to the 8000 ways you could have played things. If you had Chloe kick a puppy along the way, you'd get Rachel randomly commenting about puppy kicking or lack of puppy kicking, but it would feel stilted and tossed into some other piece of dialogue either way. Not a unique problem, Walking Dead had the same thing going on

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So according to a post on Reddit where someone scanned a magazine, BTS episode 3 is slated for a Dec 7th release.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That would put it in line with the gap between the first and second episodes, 7 weeks. I have to say I'm not used to adventure games releasing ahead of schedule. Probably a teaser today or tomorrow if there's any validity to those claims.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As mentioned before, the achievement list for Hell is Empty is already out so it releasing in a couple weeks makes sense (I think they said the bonus episode will follow the same release schedule so we should be wrapping up BtS by mid January at the latest). We'll probably get our first real information regarding LiS 2 not long after that as well.

Aside from getting kicked out of school, David moving in, getting Mikey or Drew sent to the hospital, and finding out that even before her dad died Chloe's cat apparently got run over by a car not long after they got it, Chloe actually kind of came out on top by the end of Episode 2. Which of course means that several terrible things are probably in store for her in the finale.

As for the bonus episode there are at least three things I'm hoping for: Hannah Telle, a collection of photos to take ala the first game, and maybe actually getting to meet Max's parents in person. Considering the episode apparently takes place right before Max leaves for Seattle that means the game is likely to end on a pretty somber note regardless of how they handle the end of Episode 3.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 29, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

When you think about it, they have way less work to do this time around because they have the code base and assets from the first game. It makes sense that this game is taking way less time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They might have been able to reuse certain assets and models, but the two games are built in different engines. Life is Strange was made in Unreal 3, Before the Storm in Unity.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

They might have been able to reuse certain assets and models, but the two games are built in different engines. Life is Strange was made in Unreal 3, Before the Storm in Unity.

Now I'm picturing Chloe rocket jumping around to land sick headshots.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm still hoping for some kind of final boss at the end (that is, some sort of ultimate test to see if you've mastered the Backtalk mechanic). Hell, it could even help serve as a more dynamic way of determining the ending this time around. Of course, that would mean your opponent would have to be someone just as clever as you which means the most likely candidates would probably be either Rachel, Ravendad, or Chloe herself in some kind of nightmare sequence.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why they decided to have Life is Strange take place in 2013 rather than the year the game actually came out?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 29, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Backtalk is pretty undercooked as a system and also not really that integral to the game or narrative, so I'd be extremely dissapointed by some sort of final backtalk boss. It would be pretty contrived, as there really is not anything to "master" in the, what, 5 times we've used backtalk?

As for the date, it's probably to make their soundtrack and aesthetic choices make sense.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Backtalk is pretty undercooked as a system and also not really that integral to the game or narrative, so I'd be extremely dissapointed by some sort of final backtalk boss. It would be pretty contrived, as there really is not anything to "master" in the, what, 5 times we've used backtalk?

As for the date, it's probably to make their soundtrack and aesthetic choices make sense.

10 times as far as I can remember (there's one in the first episode with Wells that most players will never even see unless you decide to go up on the stage at one point) but fair point, there's never really been a time so far where you have to actually succeed in any of them (and there's only like 2 or 3 instances where you actually have to initiate a Backtalk in order to progress) as the game still lets you complete your objective some other way.

In fact, this game seems to hold your hand a lot more overall than the original did (probably because there's no Rewind mechanic to bail you out if you make a wrong choice). But I just figured as long as you have the system in place, you might as well actually get some practical use out of it for once.

To be fair though, using the Backtalk mechanic does usually help you gain a bit more story or character-related information than you'd get normally (such as the ones with Frank and James in Episode 2) so it is kind of useful in that regard (plus it's pretty fun in my opinion).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 29, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah when I was talking about dialogue problems, I was actually thinking more of the adult "regular conversations", not the slang or whatever. There's a lot of awkward clunky stuff that isn't the result of branching choices or whatever, just regular old stilted dialogue. Most noticeable with David, Wells, Joyce, etc

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Honestly, BackTalk is pretty vestigial. But that's fine with me. This series is more about the characters and story than gameplay. And it's done better than Telltale's attempts IMO. Countdowns for every choice and QTEs are more annoying than engaging.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, if you let the timer run out during a Backtalk does the game just pick a random choice (in other words, is it theoretically possible to win a challenge by just doing nothing)?

Still though, if you're going to include this mechanic it probably should actually matter at least once. Hence my idea of using it to determine the final ending. Speaking of which, I'm curious if the endings are going to be a bit more involved this time or if they're still going to be a bunch of mostly silent scenes set to music like the first game did (I'm still hoping we see blue haired Chloe in there somewhere, even if its just a brief shot right before the credits).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I won’t mind if they are scenes set to music as long as they actually finish both of them and not leave one seemingly rushed, short and ineffective compared to the other one. I still can’t see the bae ending as legitimate since the bay ending was so much better done and actually seemed finished.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, though I also wonder how in depth they're going to end up being as, unless they want to include an option to just break canon entirely, both of Before the Storm's endings need to be able to tie into Life is Strange somehow.

I am sort of worried that Episode 3 might seem a little rushed though (for one thing, they basically need to do an entire character arc for Sera in just one episode) but hopefully they'll be able to pull off everything they need to ok.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I kind of wondered if there is even going to be a choice at the end that has any consequence whatsoever. We know what happens to everyone that matters - I am curious to see how they do it and also hope that it is done well. At the end of Ep. 2 I was really surprised it ended there since there was just so much they didn’t get into and to fit that all into the last episode is going to be pretty heroic if they can do it well.

• Locked thread