Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So we're getting it a day early then? Cool, hope it winds up being better than Polarized was (though from what we've seen so far that already seems like it's going to be the case).

I'm curious what the endings are going to be like since both (assuming there's still only just two) of them need to be able to tie into the first game somehow so there's only so much they can do with them as well as what the final choice is going to be (assuming that's still what determines your ending this time around). Kinda too bad that this and the bonus episode are probably going to be our last meeting with the Arcadia Bay crew for a while but hopefully the new cast in LiS 2 will be just as good.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

So we're getting it a day early then? Cool, hope it winds up being better than Polarized was (though from what we've seen so far that already seems like it's going to be the case).

I'm curious what the endings are going to be like since both (assuming there's still only just two) of them need to be able to tie into the first game somehow so there's only so much they can do with them.

I have a feeling it's gonna end super depressing and is absolutely gonna end with the two of them splitting. Her and Frank probably won't be touched on at all besides probably some tiny little forshadowing of it.

Then in Life is Strange: Beans, we'll go through Frank's story

This game takes place THREE YEARS before the first game right? That's a ton of time between Chloe and Rachel possibly breaking up and Rachel going missing. How long has she been missing when the first game starts?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I have a feeling it's gonna end super depressing and is absolutely gonna end with the two of them splitting. Her and Frank probably won't be touched on at all besides probably some tiny little forshadowing of it.

Then in Life is Strange: Beans, we'll go through Frank's story

This game takes place THREE YEARS before the first game right? That's a ton of time between Chloe and Rachel possibly breaking up and Rachel going missing. How long has she been missing when the first game starts?

a handful of months, people thinking this game is going to lead up to LiS are being dumb.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

a handful of months, people thinking this game is going to lead up to LiS are being dumb.

I'm not expecting much except maybe some minor foreshadowing (at the most a flash forward showing LiS era Chloe standing outside Blackwell and/or entering the bathroom to meet Nathan) but even so there's still only so much they can do. I don't really see Chloe and Rachel breaking up (and if they did they obviously still remained close friends for the remaining 3 years considering Chloe's attitude about her in the first game) but it's possible their relationship might start to strain a little (like maybe we get a Backtalk with Rachel at some point).

Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to seeing how they manage to wrap all this up coherently as they've still got a fair amount of ground to cover. Damon is obviously our big bad for the game, they need to wrap up the Sera plotline and the trailer confirms that there will be some kind of encounter with Eliot but I'm guessing it won't be too terribly long. Explaining the raven and what it wants would be nice as well (even if it's just in a subtle way like with the doe in the first game) but it's not completely necessary.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 19, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

the trailer confirms that there will be some kind of encounter with Eliot but I'm guessing it won't be all that long.

I'm gonna be really confused in my playthrough if this is like... a big thing because I have gone out of my way to avoid him at every chance I got. I talked to him the first time obviously but like when he was in the parking lot I literally just walked right past him and I tab into his texts when he messages me. I hope whatever it is with him is just like, an optional thing you can trigger or something. Warren at least was kind of important to the story for a bunch the first LiS, Elliot hasn't done anything

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm gonna be really confused in my playthrough if this is like... a big thing because I have gone out of my way to avoid him at every chance I got. I talked to him the first time obviously but like when he was in the parking lot I literally just walked right past him and I tab into his texts when he messages me. I hope whatever it is with him is just like, an optional thing you can trigger or something. Warren at least was kind of important to the story for a bunch the first LiS, Elliot hasn't done anything

There's a slightly creepy diary you can find if you go into his room in episode 2 (and if you check his computer you can see he searched for Chloe multiple times), the constant texts, a line from Samuel saying he's the only person he can't fully read, and the fact that in the episode 3 trailer there's a scene where Chloe is shown throwing a trophy at him then later running out of the same room.

Also if you watch the crowd during the play he gets a little pissed during Chloe and Rachel's little moment on stage. I think we're supposed to think he's a little obsessed with Chloe and might be slightly unstable (though probably not on the level of Jefferson from the first game). Like I said, he hasn't been that terribly important so I don't think it's going to be that major a thing (nor should it, we've got more better things to deal with like the fact that arguably one of the most important characters in the story hasn't even gotten a single line yet) and, like you said, might end up being completely optional, but it's there.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 19, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hell is empty, and all the devils are queer.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

yesssss

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

Even before BtS was a thing I always felt like the relationship between Chloe and Rachel was a lot more romantically charged than Chloe and Max, who I just saw as a really intense friendship. But two years of fandom have kind of snowballed the entire Pricefield thing.

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW AMBERPRICE IS EVIL

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Macaluso posted:

To be specific:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/940989971803947008

So earlier than the 20th. Which KIND OF sucks to be honest because I only have about an hour to play it before I have to go to work ALL DAY and then can't really play it again until like. Midnight. :qq:

Yay, 5 this evening over here.

That's a nice surprise.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Was only able to get about an hour into the game before I have to go to work for the next ten hours :saddowns: Someone who finishes it let me know, without spoiling what happens, how sad the ending is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm performing tonight with my band and probably won't be getting home until around 2am, the wait is gonna kill me!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'm busy riding historic on the fury road, so I'm gonna have to wait til I'm done with Mad Max to play Max's Mad Bae.

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 19, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Only got a little ways in so far but Looks like my suspicion was correct, Sera is basically just Rachel ramped up to 11 (including the intense desire to escape) also James isn't quite the rear end in a top hat we had him pegged as, I like how the whole explanation was set up like a dream sequence though. Speaking of dreams, the one where Chloe and William were doing improv onstage was interesting but I hope it's not the last one for the game.

Chloe finally tells Rachel about her dreams but still strangely doesn't include the part about the raven, which makes me start to wonder if she can even see the thing or if she's just willingly ignoring it.

Overall a pretty good start though, looking forward to the rest.

Also the official YouTube channel has put up a trailer for the whole season:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6P_OrZbFAJg

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 19, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RIP time to install this then get ready for work. Hype to have it ready to to go when I get home tonight, though!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Was only able to get about an hour into the game before I have to go to work for the next ten hours :saddowns: Someone who finishes it let me know, without spoiling what happens, how sad the ending is

Just finished it, the ending (or at least the one I chose, haven't tried the other option yet) is actually surprisingly upbeat. However there is a post-credits sequence that puts a damper on it though but I won't spoil anything.

Overall this is actually pretty satisfying and much better overall than the ending to the first game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 19, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Anyone who has finished it, how long is this episode? The same length as the other two? I will probably play it in one burst tonight but I’m wondering how much time to carve out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rio posted:

Anyone who has finished it, how long is this episode? The same length as the other two? I will probably play it in one burst tonight but I’m wondering how much time to carve out.

Roughly about two or three hours or so. Also strangely enough the final choice only really seems to affect one scene, the rest of the ending plays out about the same regardless (though I believe it is altered slightly depending on your choices throughout the game).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 19, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Larryb posted:

Roughly about two or three hours or so. Also strangely enough the final choice only really seems to affect one scene, the rest of the ending plays out about the same regardless (though I believe it is altered slightly depending on your choices throughout the game).

Cool, thanks for the info. I’m look my forward to playing it but it’ll be sad not having more episodes to look forward to and have the only thing left with these characters being the Max prologue. I am still excited to see what happens with LiS2 though. I hope they have a neat mechanic in it like 1 had the time rewinding. I have enjoyed Before the Storm a lot but that rewind mechanic was a cool idea and backtalk felt tacked in rather than an integral part of the gameplay and story like rewinding was.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Jesus, that loving stinger after the credits.

Very solid ending. I’m really gonna need to check out a guide for some of the other choices.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
holy poo poo Eliot Eliot Rodger??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, for those wondering yes, this game does directly tie into Life is Strange, just not in the way some of us were expecting it to. And like I said, despite being given a final choice there is really only one true ending to this game aside from a few minor changes here and there (which I guess makes sense given it's a prequel and all).

Also, all the whole Eliot thing ends up amounting to is a brief encounter ending in a Backtalk Challenge (which is also the last one in the game), Chloe does come up with a pretty clever plan to get out of it though. On a side note I liked the reprise of the D&D game from the first game during the hospital section. Hope you liked doing forensics work in LiS Episode 4 because you have to do a little more here (though not to such an extent).

As for the other big questions, it seems pretty clear now that the raven literally is William watching out for Chloe and Sera...is actually better than I was expecting her to be (she doesn't really show up until towards the very end though). Not really sure how I feel about Damon getting killed by Frank off-screen though.

Overall, while the plot isn't quite as in depth I actually sort of like BtS better than the original in some aspects. I look forward to LiS 2 but I also kind of hope we get a chance to revisit these characters again one day (preferably with a different focus character as Chloe's story is pretty much complete now). I don't remember where I heard this but Deck Nine has talked about doing a followup to Before the Storm at some point so it could be possible.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 20, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

EDIT: Never mind.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 20, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What's the name of the song that played during the ending?

I was honestly kind of expecting Numbers from the original trailer but I guess it wouldn't have matched the tone they were trying to go with (besides, the first game had a few songs that appeared in the trailers but nowhere else after all). By LiS standards that was actually kind of a happy ending (slightly less so if you tell Rachel the truth) until the very last scene which was just cruel.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 20, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Life is Strange didn't happen. That final stinger didn't happen. That was the ending. Nothing more.

:smith:

Edit: I'm kind of impressed at the final choice though. The playerbase is currently split right down the middle, 51:49

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So, I can't play episode 3. Bought the PS4 delux edition and when I hit Episode 3 it takes me to the store page for episode 2-3 and it says "Installed"

Any ideas?

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

So, I can't play episode 3. Bought the PS4 delux edition and when I hit Episode 3 it takes me to the store page for episode 2-3 and it says "Installed"

Any ideas?

I had to exit the game, go to the PSN store, go to the game's page and download it from there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

new thread title please

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those that have completed it already which choice did you make at the end?

I initially decided to tell Rachel the truth. Sure it basically shatters their family into pieces but however much he meant well James was still an enormous rear end in a top hat and I think Rachel deserves to know what happened (I do wish she actually got to meet Sera though), plus we know from the first game that her rebellious streak continued on (and got worse) after this so I doubt things managed to get fully patched up with her and her dad.

However, the other path ends on a sweet scene between Chloe and Rachel and seems generally more happy in tone so that might have been the better choice.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 20, 2017

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Assorted rambling thoughts from a man who hasn't slept in a day or so, in no particular order:
The ending for me wasn't even approaching choice. I told the truth. It wasn't so much "Rachel deserves honesty" as it was "See you in hell, James." When Chloe gets infuriated like that, she stops thinking and starts prepping to burn everything down, consequences be damned. Max would eat the guilt and keep the lie for the sake of a loved one, but Chloe wouldn't be able to.

I falsely IDed the jerk from the concert as the snitch for similar reasons.

The stinger literally made me shout "You sick fucks!" at my television.

Only 5% of people got Rachel to meet her mom. I'm really curious what the triggers are for that one, because I was trying my damnedest. Then again, my Kate Marsh jumped and I blew several of the backtalks, so I'm clearly not good at this.

D&D with Steph and the Norths was a lot of fun, up until the backtalk challenge where it starts directly mirroring the final lighthouse scene. It was funny, but it's either the wrong place to put that sort of foreshadowing or a meta-joke that felt really inappropriate to me. "That was the most emotional game I've ever played" did get a chuckle afterwards, though.

I'm one of the 10% who refused to take David's photo, although I was hoping she wouldn't be quite as mean about it. These two aren't supposed to build any bridges. Three years later and he's still barging into her room and goddamn hitting her. He shows depth later on, and he showed depth here, but they've got to be at each other's throats the entire way.

My theory: David proposed with Joyce's wedding ring that he bought out of hock. The ultimate "I'm your new dad now" power play.

Snooping through Joyce's room this episode reminded me of Gone Home. There need to be more entries in the "Sad Pirate-Themed Oregonian Teen Lesbians and Also There's a Bit Where You Stumble Onto Your Parent's Condoms By Accident" genre.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I decided to tell Rachel because keeping secrets for her own good was the reason behind all this mess.

I feel bad that the family was destroyed, but it wasn’t Chloe’s fault. She didn’t make the choice to collude with a drug lord. She didn’t hide years of letters.

Besides, even if Chloe keeps the secret, what’s to stop Rachel from looking through her dad’s office? What will happen if anything slips through the cracks, and she figures out Chloe broke her trust?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

Assorted rambling thoughts from a man who hasn't slept in a day or so, in no particular order:
The ending for me wasn't even approaching choice. I told the truth. It wasn't so much "Rachel deserves honesty" as it was "See you in hell, James." When Chloe gets infuriated like that, she stops thinking and starts prepping to burn everything down, consequences be damned. Max would eat the guilt and keep the lie for the sake of a loved one, but Chloe wouldn't be able to.

I falsely IDed the jerk from the concert as the snitch for similar reasons.

The stinger literally made me shout "You sick fucks!" at my television.

Only 5% of people got Rachel to meet her mom. I'm really curious what the triggers are for that one, because I was trying my damnedest. Then again, my Kate Marsh jumped and I blew several of the backtalks, so I'm clearly not good at this.

Not 100% sure on this as I haven't tried it myself but If you take Rachel's bracelet in episode 2, you then are given the option to give it to Sera at the end which I believe triggers the scene.

But yeah, while the other choice is a bit happier and I like the way Chloe explains it to Rachel, James is still a huge piece of poo poo for what he did to her and Sera and I wasn't about to let him get away with that.

No wonder Chloe gets so depressed if you kill Frank in LiS, he literally saved her life here and when their interests aren't in conflict they're actually sort of good friends. Another reason why I think Frank should have his own game, there's a lot of character depth there.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 20, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, all in all, is the core story of BTS worth it?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The more I think about it, the more I’m upset at the stinger.

It seems cruel and spiteful to me. We know this won’t last. We know Rachel winds up in an unmarked grave. Showing her phone in his lab just seems lurid and nasty. It doesn’t advance anything or serve any thematic point. Just feels like some sequel hook in a horror movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

So, all in all, is the core story of BTS worth it?

I'd say yes, it doesn't have quite as much depth as the one in the first game did but at the same time it works for what it is and is actually more tightly written thanks to the shorter episode count. I actually think the game is better than LiS in some aspects and is certainly worth playing if you enjoyed the original.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The Last Jedi was super good. I just started BTS Episode 3 and it's super good. This has been a great week for nerdy stuff I'm into.

Holy poo poo that dream sequence on the stage. :stare:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I chose to tell Rachel the truth. I actually did struggle with it because as a dad I can relate with trying to protect your daughter but Rachel deserved to know about her mom and I don’t think Chloe would have hid the truth from Rachel.

I do feel like I made some wrong choices along the way because the absence of any explanation of what what happened during the confrontation scene didn’t make any sense. I grabbed the knife but didn’t use it, offered to give Damon the money and got the poo poo beaten out of me, Sera was drugged and tied up and then all of the sudden Chloe was unharmed and talking to Sera at the table. What the heck happened, is it supposed to be mysterious or did I make wrong choices to not have it explained? I laughed at Frank pouring one out for his one time homie and I guess Frank killed Damon and then cut Sera loose? It just felt weird to leave that open ended.

I also am not a big fan of just getting the bracelet being the only thing that would make Sera want to meet with Rachel. That is such a small choice and I didn’t choose it for canon reasons (since Frank had it I didn’t think that Chloe would have had it to begin with) and if that is the one thing that enabled the scene where Sera would meet Rachel then that really sucks. I mean 8% of people in the statistics got Rachael to see her mother - that is bad and seems like they should have designed it differently.

Regarding Eliot, I am torn because my heart was pumping in that scene but it also felt like too little too late since they didn’t put much time into him earlier. It was a well done scene but I think that they should have built up to it a little more in earlier episodes.

I can think of several things I would do different if I were to play through again, which I probably won’t. Just choosing what I think Chloe would have done ended up screwing me in terms of getting a “happy ending” in some ways. (Nathan at the end after not telling him to accept that girl’s affection was a small thing but a downer, although probably appropriate). When Chloe drives up at the end and kisses her hand and flips off Wells I cracked up and the ending was pretty satisfying either way.

Also gently caress whoever decided to put that bit in after the credits

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

yeah imo having that bit after the credits where it shows how max doesn't care at all about chloe by having her busy with photography instead of answering her call is hosed up imo

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I ended up replaying the ending bit to get the last tag I missed. At first I tried to reason with Damon and told him I got the money, and then upon replaying it I used the knife on him. The scene plays out differently but it still ends with him drugging Sera. I assumed the part where Sera is unharmed and you're just talking to her was another one of those dream sequences. It's too vague and out of place to be anything else.

Also I'm certain there's more to having Rachel and Sera meet besides the bracelet. It's only been the first day of release so folks haven't figured out exactly what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

yeah imo having that bit after the credits where it shows how max doesn't care at all about chloe by having her busy with photography instead of answering her call is hosed up imo

Uhhh... this might be a :thejoke: but:

That is Rachel's phone. She's being photographed in the background before eventually being murdered as detailed in the first game

• Locked thread