Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

B&Q sell thin sheets of black corrugated plastic for exactly this purpose. Don't do what my builder did and put it down after the second fix without sweeping, so a billion bits of wire and insulation and boot grit got trapped and ground into the flooring.

Do you happen to know the name of this sir? I'm drawing a blank...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've seen it in store but the website was apparently written by rabid sentient turds so Travis Perkins has it under the name proplex.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

As per previous see also https://www.homebase.co.uk/antinox-temporary-protection-black-2mm_p396649

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's actually cheaper. Good call.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm the guy spraying goop onto a CG wall and hoping some plastic cardboard is going to do the job.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wow, I love the colour - I'm just very glad I didn't go with dark oak considering how dark this actually came out:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Yeah that looks great!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Okay, so I've got some quotes on water softeners, but I'm still a bit confused regarding whether I need a chloramine reducer (yes, I've confirmed our supplier uses chloramine and not chlorine). From the installer I'm leaning toward using, the chloramine-reducing system:

- Is two-tank instead of one-tank
- Has a larger capacity (which I guess is just from the two-tank design)
- Has a ten-year warranty on the catalytic carbon

The regular system:

- Has an automatic salt-level detection
- Has a lifetime warranty on the activated carbon

These are found here and are the ERRC3702 and the ERR3700, respectively. Cost including installation is $500 higher on the chloramine-reducing system, which is not a big deal to me. The automatic salt-level detection on the smaller and cheaper unit, on the other hand, might be nice, though it looks like all it means is that when I add salt I don't have to go through a menu on the main tank and say to what level I added salt, which looks pretty simple.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? One competitor offered a simpler model and did not specifically address chloramine during the visit (though the literature implies that it reduces both chlorine and chloramine, it seems like generally you use different types of carbon so I'm not sure how that would work) for about $1300 more but also has emergency service. Another competitor uses pricey Kinetico systems but has no emergency service, and they run about $2000 more than the first folks.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a dedicated yard/garden thread in this subforum? I have a drainage problem i wanna try to troubleshoot, but i can't find a thread where it makes sense to post about it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

DIY & Hobbies would be the subforum to check first.
I think... many of the same people follow the same threads... at least me and Jaded Burnout are synched, lol.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

I think... many of the same people follow the same threads... at least me and Jaded Burnout are synched, lol.

Lo, even unto the healthcare threads, though you don't post in the tech nerd moaning threads I haunt like a lovely ghost with upper management problems.

Dongattack posted:

Is there a dedicated yard/garden thread in this subforum? I have a drainage problem i wanna try to troubleshoot, but i can't find a thread where it makes sense to post about it.

Yeah I don't think there is a landscaping thread so much as ones what are about plants and such, so I guess here is fine? I've got some severe drainage issues I need to get to At Some Point so I'd be interested in your story, though unable to actually help.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
It isn't really much of a story really. I just have this area in my garden that is permanently wet and i'm trying to find out what kinda options i have to dry it out. The problem is that i can't dig a trench or lay pipes because the wet area is like a natural bowl made out of mountain that almost makes it to the surface. So to dig a trench id first have to remove the mountain :q:

I was considering building a pond there, but i'm not sure that would fix the problem so much as just move it to the edges of the pond.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Had a similar problem and went professional with it. The guy put in a drain leading to the front yard, dumping out into a rain garden.

My point being, maybe just make a rain garden where the wet spot is? You just find a bunch of native water-hungry plants and put them there, seems to help. If it fails, you're out the cost of some plants.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My kid's school dug up the whole playing field and put in layers of well-draining sand. You could layer something on top, or give up and fill it with stepping stones and moss.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, a rain garden sounds like a good idea! Something like this:

Need to consult a botanist or whatever they call themselves to find some waterhungry plants that survive the Skandinavian climate tho.

peanut posted:

My kid's school dug up the whole playing field and put in layers of well-draining sand. You could layer something on top, or give up and fill it with stepping stones and moss.

That also sounds like it could work, rain garden sounds pretty tho!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Need to consult a botanist or whatever they call themselves

Plantmonger, I'm pretty sure.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I have a concrete floor in the basement and it's not exaaactly level. So no way I'm putting hardwood floors in, but I should be able to do carpet just fine, right? It's probably more of a short term (until kids are grown and not spilling poo poo everywhere and can clean up after themselves) thing and then when I want to sell in a decade or so I'll actually put some hardwood down. Anyways, question is, carpet should be fine with a slightly uneven concrete floor, right? Won't the padding or whatever underneath cover things like the little ridge I made using self-leveling concrete on a little dip near the wall?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You might still feel it through carpet and padding, but you can grind down imperfect spots by hand/angle grinder if it's bad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Carpet or some stupid vinyl flooring is ideal for a basement playspace.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

peanut posted:

Carpet or some stupid vinyl flooring is ideal for a basement playspace.

Yea that's what I'm going for, just a dumb room for a kids playroom. I just hope when I hire some dudes from Home Depot or wherever to install (I wish I had the time to do it myself) that they won't just come in and scoff and tell me I need all kinds of loving concrete work. Oh I also need baseboards :(

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Grem posted:

I have a concrete floor in the basement and it's not exaaactly level. So no way I'm putting hardwood floors in, but I should be able to do carpet just fine, right? It's probably more of a short term (until kids are grown and not spilling poo poo everywhere and can clean up after themselves) thing and then when I want to sell in a decade or so I'll actually put some hardwood down. Anyways, question is, carpet should be fine with a slightly uneven concrete floor, right? Won't the padding or whatever underneath cover things like the little ridge I made using self-leveling concrete on a little dip near the wall?

I put laminated wooden flooring boards in the bedroom of my previous house. I put it on top of a previous floor which was incredibly uneven.

You're supposed to put some kind of isolating plastic foam-type sheets below them anyway so to cover some of the more egregious height differences I just shoved some extra sheets under there. Worked perfectly fine, maybe a bit wobbly in places but it doesn't sound like you're planning to host state dinners in there, so it's definitely possible.

Anyway, if the purpose is having kids play there, vinyl would be my #1 choice too, way easier to clean than anything besides stone tiles maybe, cheap, and easily replaceable.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My kindergarten classroom has wood-lookin' vinyl over concrete. It looks fine and makes an adequate barrier against the cold of the slab. I scrub it every year with a bigass deck brush to get the dirt out of the fine texture, and I've never seen any significant damage beyond paint splashes. It's definitely the cheap and easy solution.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

In some "phew" news, the final tiles just got finished on my ground floor, which over the last few months has involved 12 layers of ~stuff~ on top of the soil including mixing new and 100+ year old concrete slabs, chunks of masonry, exterior wall footings, all over 60 square metres.

We finished with 1mm to spare below the bottom of the front door.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Neon Belly posted:

Thanks for the tips! I've never really had to use anchors before, so I think it's my lack of knowledge more than a cultural difference (the only thing heavy I've ever hung was a TV, and I just went into studs for that).

I don't think my drill has a hammer setting - it's a pretty old one. I'm going to be going through plaster to get to the brick, so I should be OK just marking it with a pencil.

Hey just an idea if you're doing pegboard and want something with a bit more strength and visual appeal, you can get pretty nice metal ones from Wall Control (or if you are willing to buy slightly blemished ones by wallcontrol to save some money, cheappegboard.com). they have standard ones and ones that use their slotted hangers which give you a bit more variety for ways to hang different objects.

i have a set in my garage and they're nice

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That feeling when you move in to your new house and literally everything leaks.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Same

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Especially the wallet.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
With the new tax plan, guess I'll pay off my mortgage over next year or two. I'm in at 3.75%, and that used to be more like 2.8% after pro-rated tax deductions (effective tax bracket, not highest marginal). With the markets where they're at, and given I need to do this anyway for early retirement, seems like the right time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

uXs posted:

I put laminated wooden flooring boards in the bedroom of my previous house. I put it on top of a previous floor which was incredibly uneven.

You're supposed to put some kind of isolating plastic foam-type sheets below them anyway so to cover some of the more egregious height differences I just shoved some extra sheets under there. Worked perfectly fine, maybe a bit wobbly in places but it doesn't sound like you're planning to host state dinners in there, so it's definitely possible.

Anyway, if the purpose is having kids play there, vinyl would be my #1 choice too, way easier to clean than anything besides stone tiles maybe, cheap, and easily replaceable.

I’m pretty happy with the laminate floors I had installed in my concrete basement, especially since they replaced peel and stick strips laid over moldy linoleum. The installer leveled the floor as much as he could with 10 bags of floor leveler and you can barely tell there’s any unevenness.

I bought fancy underlayment because the stuff attached to the boards is super thin.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

baquerd posted:

With the new tax plan, guess I'll pay off my mortgage over next year or two. I'm in at 3.75%, and that used to be more like 2.8% after pro-rated tax deductions (effective tax bracket, not highest marginal). With the markets where they're at, and given I need to do this anyway for early retirement, seems like the right time.

Which markets? You can get a higher yield in a bond market than 2.8% right now.

BraveUlysses posted:

Hey just an idea if you're doing pegboard and want something with a bit more strength and visual appeal, you can get pretty nice metal ones from Wall Control (or if you are willing to buy slightly blemished ones by wallcontrol to save some money, cheappegboard.com). they have standard ones and ones that use their slotted hangers which give you a bit more variety for ways to hang different objects.

i have a set in my garage and they're nice

These look great! The space I have is 26" wide and I wish they made panels that were closer to that, but maybe having some extra space on the edges where the side of a pot can hang over won't be that big of a deal? They also look a lot easier to install.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 22, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

baquerd posted:

Is your mortgage >$750,000?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

H110Hawk posted:

Is your mortgage >$750,000?

Tax bill only applies to mortgages taken out after it passed, so for existing mortgages it has to be >$1,000,000.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

My house has a couple of really ugly internal walls (60 year old plaster over poo poo concrete blockwork behind an absolutely terrible 80's Artex job).

Am I right in thinking that painting the walls and ceiling matt white is the best colour choice to make it less obvious?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

My house has a couple of really ugly internal walls (60 year old plaster over poo poo concrete blockwork behind an absolutely terrible 80's Artex job).

Am I right in thinking that painting the walls and ceiling matt white is the best colour choice to make it less obvious?

That is my understanding. I’ve even seen some products calling themselves “supermatt” for extra lovely walls. Also a thick nap roller.

Apparently you can also use lining paper to reduce the nasty but I haven’t seen it done in person.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

That is my understanding. I’ve even seen some products calling themselves “supermatt” for extra lovely walls. Also a thick nap roller.

Apparently you can also use lining paper to reduce the nasty but I haven’t seen it done in person.

Lining paper wont cover this poo poo as its too bad :(. In the rest of the house I have either removed the Artex (which is a horrible job) or had it plastered over. I skimmed one room myself and then lining papered it.

This is the last bit of the house for me to attack and I think its lumpy here partly because the plaster is blowing behind the artex, so if i strip the Artex its going to need replastering afterwards :(

I don't plan on being here myself in 12 months time, so I'm now just trying to make it look nice. White paint and a bookshelf it is!

Edit - photos:

The white bit here is old satin paint that was behind the bookshelf, the carpet is now in the bin...

Under the carpet there were between zero and two layers of adhesive floor tiles. Its just taken me 8 hours to remove them all, screw all the floorboards down properly and then scrub and sand the old glue off so that you can walk over them without getting stuck.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 23, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good lord. What a mess.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

Good lord. What a mess.

Having got very intimate with this part of the house today it is really wierd how that wall is messed up. The bottom 1/4 and the top 1/4 are "fine", its just the middle that has gone all lumpy. (When I say "fine" I mean that it is just horrible Artex swirls, not horrible Artex swirls covered in extra lumps).
The bathroom is behind it. Until about 10 years ago when I bought the house and fitted a new boiler and knocked it out, there used to be a built in cupboard that housed the hot water heater/tank and had shelves in. The other side of that wall (in the back of the cupboard) was unplastered and you could see the bare blocks the wall is built from.
Either the P.O kept something very strange on the middle shelves of that cupboard or there was something wrong with the middle 4 or 5 courses of blocks the wall is built from and it has destroyed the plaster!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Damp maybe?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neon Belly posted:

Which markets? You can get a higher yield in a bond market than 2.8% right now.

I'll be taking the standard deduction next year, my mortgage is actually pretty small at ~$220k so I can't claim enough mortgage interest together with the $10k limit on state and local taxes to itemize, hence my mortgage is hitting me at the full 3.75% rate, which while not terrible by any means, I'd just rather pay off and open up more cash flows and ease into early retirement with less risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Not sure where to ask this, but I'm outfitting my guest room and need a bit of advice.

I just ordered this bedframe and I'm going to get this mattress to go along with it. Do I also need to get a foundation like this or is that redundant with the bed frame?

Every bed I've ever had has had a boxspring, but all of them had frames with three or four thick slats instead of a bunch of like this one, so I dunno if that makes a difference.

Thank you!