Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Otakufag posted:

I heard it's possible to slightly overclock a 8700 non k to an all core boost of 4.6/4.7ghz with some motherboards. How true is this?

The feature is called multi-core enhancement. Also you can get like 3-5% more with BLCK overclocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Multicore enhancement only works on k cpus also.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Different mainboard vendors will interpret the 8700's 65W TDP limit more or less liberally on Z370, making it behave much like a stock ~100W 8700K.
Good luck finding any reliable info on who or what exactly with which Bios version though.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 20, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Otakufag posted:

I heard it's possible to slightly overclock a 8700 non k to an all core boost of 4.6/4.7ghz with some motherboards. How true is this?

I have an 8700 non-k and I played with the all core turbo 4.6ghz boost thing. I got it working with the Beta BIOS on Asus STRIX Z370-E board I have, but it was auto setting the voltage to 1.35+ and generating more heat than I wanted to deal with. Instead I went back and just manually set the TDP in the BIOS to 95w, and now it will sit at its 4.3ghz all core turbo all day at stock voltages, nice and cool.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks - thought so.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Canadians - the asrock z370 taichi is on sale at newegg.ca. This is a primo overclocking board and it's what I wanted to get when I ended up buying the gigabyte gaming 7 on black friday.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.techspot.com/review/1546-intel-2nd-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/

A comparison of the 2600k with modern CPUs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm keeping my 2500K + DDR3 until I find a cheap z77 board, then it'll sit at 5GHz until it dies :3

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The real surprise is how a 4.8GHz Sandy Bridge is now unable to keep up with a Haswell at only 3.6GHz.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

They don't mention ram speed though. Did they use the same ddr3 2400 as with 4770k?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Palladium posted:

The real surprise is how a 4.8GHz Sandy Bridge is now unable to keep up with a Haswell at only 3.6GHz.
If you look at actual games with real settings you'll see it reasonably keeps up with the 8700k, nevermind a haswell. They come later in the review.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The marginal improvements to per-core performance from even my overclocked 2500k really has been holding back at upgrading anything but my video card. Why should I drop a ton of money on new Intel silicon for marginal per core performance over this thing that owe me nothing any maybe get an extra 2 cores if I spend even more for an i7 when I could just wait for Ryzen2 or whatever and double my core count.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gently caress it, time to dump this i7-3820. 8700K on Boxing Day here I cooooome

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If I was upgrading from sandy or ivy now, I'd go all in on an 8700k, delidded on water and optane.

That might be the biggest change you'd see in the next decade.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If I was upgrading from sandy or ivy now, I'd go all in on an 8700k, delidded on water and optane.

That might be the biggest change you'd see in the next decade.

Honest question: If I've got NVMe and a lot of fast ram, what does optane do for me?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Honest question: If I've got NVMe and a lot of fast ram, what does optane do for me?

Provided you're talking about the 900p and not the "cereal box insert" 16 and 32GB M.2 sticks, Optane is better tuned for general computing tasks - low queue depths, better small file performance, lower latency, and a lack of reliance on TRIM/garbage collection. It also has the speeds to excel at tasks NVMe was good at - database stuff, large file processing, rendering, etc.

...you're still going to be hard-pressed to notice much of a difference in games and the like over an SATA III SSD, though.

The 900p comes with a code for Star Citizen that you can sell for ~$125-150, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 23, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Provided you're talking about the 900p and not the "cereal box insert" 16 and 32GB M.2 sticks, Optane is better tuned for general computing tasks - low queue depths, better small file performance, lower latency, and a lack of reliance on TRIM/garbage collection. It also has the speeds to excel at tasks NVMe was good at - database stuff, large file processing, rendering, etc.

...you're still going to be hard-pressed to notice much of a difference in games and the like over an SATA III SSD, though.

The 900p comes with a code for Star Citizen that you can sell for ~$125-150, though.

The 900p real Optane is legit the best SSD on the market, but the $/GB ratio is making me wait for gen2 when they add more lanes and have a better density. My 850 evo is still serving me well.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Optane is for people who want an in memory database but can't afford the RAM. The cost isn't worth it for typical desktop use.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It's also one hell of a ZFS SLOG device and can get you near-SAN kinds of performance for a couple orders of magnitude lower cost. It is insanely good at low queue depth transactions which makes it potentially an issue for the busiest kinds of SANs, but given below QD8 is where it's fine it should be perfectly fine for most middle-class man's SAN.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Optane is for people who want an in memory database but can't afford the RAM. The cost isn't worth it for typical desktop use.

If you're buying Optane it isn't that you can't afford the RAM it is that you can't stick that much RAM in a single box.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I played with an Optane 16GB accelerator in a HP all in one. Main HD was a 1TB whatever spinner. After the first boot, holy poo poo, really fast at just about everything.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

redeyes posted:

I played with an Optane 16GB accelerator in a HP all in one. Main HD was a 1TB whatever spinner. After the first boot, holy poo poo, really fast at just about everything.

Then again, even an ancient X25-M is much faster than any spinning rust.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
A while back someone here brought up the problems of AVX-512 causing severe clock reductions and reducing performance on mixed workloads.

Interestingly enough Skylake-X/Xeon-W do not seem to have this problem, the reduction is more like 10-20%. Intel also mentioned them as being manufactured on 14+ in their marketing material, while Skylake-SP is listed as 14. InstLatX64 is theorizing that Intel panicked and pushed -X onto 14+. I guess a further implication is that 14+ might be better able to withstand the power of AVX-512 at full tilt. Also, unlike Skylake-SP, all Skylake-X processors (including i7, not just i9) have dual AVX-512 ports, in contrast to Intel's earlier statements to Anandtech.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Is it recommended to replace the stock cooler that comes with a 8700 non-k with something better?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Otakufag posted:

Is it recommended to replace the stock cooler that comes with a 8700 non-k with something better?

You *can*, but you don't have to. The stock cooler is engineered to handle more than the listed 65W TDP - if you wanted something quieter which didn't have to work as hard fan-wise to push airflow, that's really the only reason you'd consider going with an aftermarket solution. That and *maybe* if you were forced to have the computer in a high-ambient environment or the case didn't have decent ventilation.

If the computer's in a temperate room and the case has decent positive pressure, you shouldn't need to change the stock HSF. One thing you *might* consider is very carefully removing the fixed thermal 'goop' Intel puts on their stock units and replacing it with a more thermally-conductive TIM.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RAM speed question: How big of a deal is 3000 MHz versus 2666 MHz with Coffee Lake? I know it's a big deal with Ryzen, but is the 8700K going to see gaming differences between the two? Is it worth the extra $40 for 16 GB?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

RAM speed question: How big of a deal is 3000 MHz versus 2666 MHz with Coffee Lake? I know it's a big deal with Ryzen, but is the 8700K going to see gaming differences between the two? Is it worth the extra $40 for 16 GB?

It might cost you ~1-5 *minimum* FPS in games, depending on the game. Not average or maximum FPS (which is more dependent on the CPU/GPU working together), but minimum. Faster RAM has demonstrably shown gains in 'smoothness,' even if you'd have to look at benchmarks to find it out. What else could you do with the $40? Make up the difference between a 1070 and 1080?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It might cost you ~1-5 *minimum* FPS in games, depending on the game. Not average or maximum FPS (which is more dependent on the CPU/GPU working together), but minimum. Faster RAM has demonstrably shown gains in 'smoothness,' even if you'd have to look at benchmarks to find it out. What else could you do with the $40? Make up the difference between a 1070 and 1080?

True enough. I'll not worry about it and go for the 3000/3200 instead.

I'm finally putting together a new CPU/MB/RAM to replace Sandy Bridge. Poor old thing is bottlenecking my 1080 Ti in a number of games.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

True enough. I'll not worry about it and go for the 3000/3200 instead.

I'm finally putting together a new CPU/MB/RAM to replace Sandy Bridge. Poor old thing is bottlenecking my 1080 Ti in a number of games.

Yeah, if you've got a 1080Ti, you might as well go for broke. I can't in good conscience recommend going past 3000-3200Mhz at present, though - ultra-high-speed RAM and high-density DIMMs are even more insanely priced now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, if you've got a 1080Ti, you might as well go for broke. I can't in good conscience recommend going past 3000-3200Mhz at present, though - ultra-high-speed RAM and high-density DIMMs are even more insanely priced now.

Yeah, 16 gigs of 3000 or 3200 is going to run me $275 CAD.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Otakufag posted:

I would personally recommend getting a ~$20 cooler and some cheap Arctic Silver 5 or something when you get a chance and setting the TDP in the bios to 95w. The reason I suggest doing this is that will essentially take the 8700 from a 3.6ghz all-core turbo to the 4.3ghz all-core is says it has in the specs, but in reality cant hit for any sustained periods with the 65w TDP. By setting the TDP to 95w, it will sit at its rated 4.3ghz all day long.

With stock settings, the stock fan is totally fine. But at a 95w tdp, in my opinion, it will be a overmatched.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Also if you play pubg get as fast ram as possible, because the game is so bad.

E:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ3neH6XCds

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Those more than hundred million dollars sure doesn't pay for competent coders.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those more than hundred million dollars sure doesn't pay for competent coders.

It barely pays for a yacht, what programmers?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Volguus posted:

It barely pays for a yacht, what programmers?

The ones you hired to be waiters on your yacht, duh.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Also if you play pubg get as fast ram as possible, because the game is so bad.

E:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ3neH6XCds

That has been significantly improved since the 1.0 release thankfully. I have no idea what they were doing with the memory calls before but I saw performance jump a solid 40% with that version and considering its a 2500k with old as poo poo ram I'm guessing that was the biggest bottleneck

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

That has been significantly improved since the 1.0 release thankfully. I have no idea what they were doing with the memory calls before but I saw performance jump a solid 40% with that version and considering its a 2500k with old as poo poo ram I'm guessing that was the biggest bottleneck

Did you notice that the score bar on the bottom of the chart is scaled from like 70-100? Not 0-100?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

Did you notice that the score bar on the bottom of the chart is scaled from like 70-100? Not 0-100?

Reading skills are fairly common.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Did you notice that my cpu and ram are 5 gens older than that rig? Did you notice that video came out before the 1.0 release? What the gently caress are you even talking about? poo poo was sitting 30-40fps on beta and jumped to 60-70 after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Heh, I might be addicted to undervolting rigs. 30C+ weather all year long will probably make you that way, too.

Setup:
8700K - 4.3GHz @ 1.05V offset -0.1V (stock 1.25V)
MSI Z370M Pro Gaming AC
Cryorig H7
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32GB - 3200 C16 @ 1.25V (stock 1.35V)
GTX 1070 - 1645MHz core / 9GHz VRAM @ 0.8V (stock 1800/8000 @ 1.03V)
Crucial M550 1TB SSD + 3TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD
2x Phanteks 120mm 1K rpm fan + 1x CM 700rpm
Seasonic G-650W
Acer XB271HU 1440p

Wall power draw without monitor and speakers:
Idle: 42W
Cinebench R15 MT: 122W
Skyrim 60 fps vsync: 110W
Witcher 3 Gsync in Oxenfurt: 165W

To think my old 4790K and stock 1070 was drawing 300W wall in Witcher 3 at rendering only 60 fps.